Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I'm having a little dinner party next week and I can't make up my mind about dessert...help?

I'm just doing bacon-wrapped scallops (and need something else here...help again?) as an app, and little stuffed cornish hens with a light salad and truffled roasted veg for dinner, so not super fussy but pretty heavy.

I thought about just doing a pie of some variety, because husband insists on the coconut-milk ice cream I make for company, but now I'm thinking maybe if I make soft cookies I can make homemade ice-cream sandwiches with them while they're warm and fresh? Maybe soft ginger cookies or snickerdoodles or something so I can make coconut-cardamom ice cream, or do coconut-caramel and just make double chocolate cookies.

I usually have too many things I want to make so deciding is hard.

I vote for coconut-caramel ice cream with double chocolate cookies... chocolate, coconut and caramel being my three favourites.

I also vote for inviting me to the dessert portion of the dinner party.

I cosign both of the above.

You could also do a bruschetta on a really crusty bread as app as well. I was also thinking bacon wrapped asparagus but you're already having bacon wrapped scallops, so some people may think that's too much bacon. If you know people like that, they should not be invited to the party, and @ythannah and I would be happy to sub in for them. :smiley:

• Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

Average mean temperatures for January (in both C and F):

Thunder Bay: -15 / 5
    Edmonton: -11.7 / 11
    Montreal: - 8.9/16
    Dayton, OH: -2.5/27.5
    New Jersey: -1/30.5 (and the area of Kansas I checked was about the same)
    Portland, OR: 5.2/41
    Dayton, OH: 8/46
    Saudi Arabia: 14/57
    Corpus Christie, TX: 14/57

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

ETA: Obviously I didn't do everyone. I just picked a few people at random.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdo's...I prefer cold weather to warm. It's easier to get warm when you're cold and also winter clothes are my FAVE!! I love sweaters, leggings, skinny jeans, sweater dresses, boots, and my all time favorite- COATS!! <3

I agree with everything you just said!!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I'm having a little dinner party next week and I can't make up my mind about dessert...help?

I'm just doing bacon-wrapped scallops (and need something else here...help again?) as an app, and little stuffed cornish hens with a light salad and truffled roasted veg for dinner, so not super fussy but pretty heavy.

I thought about just doing a pie of some variety, because husband insists on the coconut-milk ice cream I make for company, but now I'm thinking maybe if I make soft cookies I can make homemade ice-cream sandwiches with them while they're warm and fresh? Maybe soft ginger cookies or snickerdoodles or something so I can make coconut-cardamom ice cream, or do coconut-caramel and just make double chocolate cookies.

I vote for coconut-caramel ice cream with double chocolate cookies... chocolate, coconut and caramel being my three favourites.

You could also do a bruschetta on a really crusty bread as app as well. I was also thinking bacon wrapped asparagus but you're already having bacon wrapped scallops, so some people may think that's too much bacon. If you know people like that, they should not be invited to the party, and @ythannah and I would be happy to sub in for them. :smiley:

Don't leave me out! I can carpool with @ythannah!
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    FYI, I'm alive. After my marathon day on Thursday, I did a whole lot of homework, and not a whole lot of anything else this weekend, so I'm way behind (30 pages kind of behind).

Additionally, our network at work updated over the weekend, and the boards are now blocked (though the rest of the site seems okay), so no more chatting at work (unless I get motivated enough to do it on my phone). Ha!
    But.. but.. isn't that what work is for? ;)

Exactly why I am so far behind lately - work has been very busy and not allowing my "usual" forum time! I will be glad when August is here and it slows down again.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

Can barely fit the six people I have in our tiny dining room so you'll have to eat on the balcony, haha.

I don't think I'm wanting to do anything on bread for an app because of the stuffed hens (toooo much bread!) so I think I have to give this more thought though.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »

I don't really care for ice cream either. I REALLY have to be in the mood for it, or have a piece of warm apple/cherry pie or brownie or chocolate cake to put it on. I'm definitely NOT one of those people that can sit down and eat a whole pint (not judging) even if I really like the flavor. It's cold, and makes my stomach hurt. Also, I don't think it's worth the calories. *hides with you*

Cookies, on the other hand, I LOVE cookies. Especially Mr. Mo's warm chocolate chips cookies. He uses the same recipe that Phoebe's grandma used. If you got this reference, we're officially best friends now!

As far as Quest Bars go, I have only just recently (within the last 6 months or a little longer) discovered them. For the amount of calories they contain, they have a really high protein count, and are extremely high in fiber, but don't do me nasty like the Pure Protein ones. Plus, they just taste really delicious...well, most of them do.

LOL @MoHousdon - I totally got that reference. Nestle Touloose... or Nestle Tollhouse.... hee hee Loved Friends. I hope you watched How I Met Your Mother, too, because that show has a LOT of quotable dialogue.

Yay, another new best friend! I DID watch HIMYM and my all-time favorite episodes are the Slapsgiving ones. I still think the mom should have been Victoria. She was my favorite of all of them. Very good show though.

I have the Amazon Firestick and I get all the shows on Amazon and Amazon Prime. I need suggestions of series to watch!!

If it's there, Parks and Recreation, assuming you haven't already seen it. It is one of my favorite shows ever! I cried like an infant when that show ended.

I'll let you know if I think of any others.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

I started with 2.5lbs on each end of the bar for deadlift in January. I knew I had to get that form right or my left knee would be lost to surgery. I still back off weight and work back up every time I have knee pain. I will get to my 160 lifts eventually, but I will not blow out my knee on the way. So, yes, start slow and work your way up.

I started with 55 on the deadlift, I think...up to 65 now, but it's only been two weeks! I'm going to try 75 tonight, my boyfriend said he thinks I can do up to 95 tonight...I appreciate his faith in me lol.

Of course, he's the one who benches 255, so.... :neutral:

My husband teases me that he benches more than I can deadlift. Jerk. <3

Haha. Yeah Mr. NY said earlier "We'll put 20s on the bar...so you can deadlift 85 and I'll curl it". Jerk.

I'm so lucky that mine has never lifted, and never will because he has major back issues, so he's terrifically impressed (or pretends to be) by my puny little lifts. Apparently he once picked up my bench press bar and said that it was "really heavy"... ummm, 40 lbs?

Although every time I hear "Okay, Miss Muscles..." I know I'm going to be called upon to help lift something heavy, like a transmission. I'm sure he can't wait for the day I can assist with moving an engine block.

I have also been referred to as such.

In the coincidence dept, I ended up with a pic rather like your current avatar.

While we were in the US, the SO pointed out some women's pants that he liked, they're a light knit material and fit like leggings but have a normal straight leg at the bottom (I'm sure there's a fashion term for these but I'm oblivious). Of course I had to indulge him and buy a couple of pairs, they were dirt cheap anyway. When I wore them, he insisted I had "the PERFECT b*m" (yes, he tends to talk in superlatives) and took a photo of my backside without my knowledge while I was watering the garden. And all it did was remind me of @MoHousdon lol.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Can barely fit the six people I have in our tiny dining room so you'll have to eat on the balcony, haha.

I don't think I'm wanting to do anything on bread for an app because of the stuffed hens (toooo much bread!) so I think I have to give this more thought though.

If you don't want more bread, but want to do a dippy/bruchettey sort of thing use a sturdy lettuce to sub - like an endive leaf. Another starch, but not quite bread, sub are those tiny pre-made phyllo cups you can buy and fill with something awesome (brie and jam/fruit is my preferred innards, but something like a spinach dip would be great too).
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

I don't really care for ice cream either. I REALLY have to be in the mood for it, or have a piece of warm apple/cherry pie or brownie or chocolate cake to put it on. I'm definitely NOT one of those people that can sit down and eat a whole pint (not judging) even if I really like the flavor. It's cold, and makes my stomach hurt. Also, I don't think it's worth the calories. *hides with you*

Cookies, on the other hand, I LOVE cookies. Especially Mr. Mo's warm chocolate chips cookies. He uses the same recipe that Phoebe's grandma used. If you got this reference, we're officially best friends now!

As far as Quest Bars go, I have only just recently (within the last 6 months or a little longer) discovered them. For the amount of calories they contain, they have a really high protein count, and are extremely high in fiber, but don't do me nasty like the Pure Protein ones. Plus, they just taste really delicious...well, most of them do.

LOL @MoHousdon - I totally got that reference. Nestle Touloose... or Nestle Tollhouse.... hee hee Loved Friends. I hope you watched How I Met Your Mother, too, because that show has a LOT of quotable dialogue.

Ugh another classic! I'm on my fourth round of watching Friends from start to beginning I'm on season 9 I may have to start HIMYM up again, LOVE LOVE LOVE that show!

Count me in the group who loved Friends and How I Met Your Mother!!!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    So just to let you all know - according to the mean temperature data I could find I live in the coldest spot of all of us. Except for maybe @ythannah who is probably a bit colder depending where in the area she is.

Average mean temperatures for January (in both C and F):

Thunder Bay: -15 / 5
    Edmonton: -11.7 / 11
    Montreal: - 8.9/16
    Dayton, OH: -2.5/27.5
    New Jersey: -1/30.5 (and the area of Kansas I checked was about the same)
    Portland, OR: 5.2/41
    Dayton, OH: 8/46
    Saudi Arabia: 14/57
    Corpus Christie, TX: 14/57

If I don't know exactly where in your state you live, I just picked a large city that I hoped was close.

ETA: Obviously I didn't do everyone. I just picked a few people at random.

Dayton, OH is on the list twice. Should that be something else?

Also, 30°F sounds about right for January because February is usually our coldest month for some weird reason. It was unusually warm in January this year. On our warmest day it was 74°F or 23.33°C. People were wearing shorts and it was weird.

• bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. Although, Monica was a chef, not a baker.

I loved it when she wore the fat suit too. It was the best!

One of my favorite Friends scenes is when Joey wears ALL of Chandler's clothes, while "commando", and starts doing lunges. Hee hee

I also like that episode. "Could I BE wearing any more clothes?!" Another favorite is The One With All the Cheesecakes. At the very end, Joey sees Chandler and Rachel eating cheesecake off the floor, and he sits down, pulls a fork out of his jacket pocket and says, "Alright...what are we having?!" Classic!

Oh my gosh, this was on last night! Too funny. I never saw it before and I was sure I had seen ALL the episodes by now.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

I started with 2.5lbs on each end of the bar for deadlift in January. I knew I had to get that form right or my left knee would be lost to surgery. I still back off weight and work back up every time I have knee pain. I will get to my 160 lifts eventually, but I will not blow out my knee on the way. So, yes, start slow and work your way up.

I started with 55 on the deadlift, I think...up to 65 now, but it's only been two weeks! I'm going to try 75 tonight, my boyfriend said he thinks I can do up to 95 tonight...I appreciate his faith in me lol.

Of course, he's the one who benches 255, so.... :neutral:

My husband teases me that he benches more than I can deadlift. Jerk. <3

Haha. Yeah Mr. NY said earlier "We'll put 20s on the bar...so you can deadlift 85 and I'll curl it". Jerk.

I'm so lucky that mine has never lifted, and never will because he has major back issues, so he's terrifically impressed (or pretends to be) by my puny little lifts. Apparently he once picked up my bench press bar and said that it was "really heavy"... ummm, 40 lbs?

Although every time I hear "Okay, Miss Muscles..." I know I'm going to be called upon to help lift something heavy, like a transmission. I'm sure he can't wait for the day I can assist with moving an engine block.

I have also been referred to as such.

In the coincidence dept, I ended up with a pic rather like your current avatar.

While we were in the US, the SO pointed out some women's pants that he liked, they're a light knit material and fit like leggings but have a normal straight leg at the bottom (I'm sure there's a fashion term for these but I'm oblivious). Of course I had to indulge him and buy a couple of pairs, they were dirt cheap anyway. When I wore them, he insisted I had "the PERFECT b*m" (yes, he tends to talk in superlatives) and took a photo of my backside without my knowledge while I was watering the garden. And all it did was remind me of @MoHousdon lol.

I'm flattered. I just call those pants workout capris. I'm not sure what they're called either, but Mr. Mo loves when I wear mine too. :smiley:

• TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

Yay, another new best friend! I DID watch HIMYM and my all-time favorite episodes are the Slapsgiving ones. I still think the mom should have been Victoria. She was my favorite of all of them. Very good show though.

I have the Amazon Firestick and I get all the shows on Amazon and Amazon Prime. I need suggestions of series to watch!!

If it's there, Parks and Recreation, assuming you haven't already seen it. It is one of my favorite shows ever! I cried like an infant when that show ended.

I'll let you know if I think of any others.

I haven't seen it! I'll check to see if it's on there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."

Neither, go to a hotel and sleep there for the next 2 nights. Yikes, how scary!

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Neither, go to a hotel and sleep there for the next 2 nights. Yikes, how scary!

What Mo said!!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    We have a BIG thunderstorm going through right now. There was a tornado around the city about an hour ago but it didn't touch down, fortunately. I moved my car into the garage and covered my plants just in time - there was hail the size of golf balls for about 5 minutes! EEek!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    We have a BIG thunderstorm going through right now. There was a tornado around the city about an hour ago but it didn't touch down, fortunately. I moved my car into the garage and covered my plants just in time - there was hail the size of golf balls for about 5 minutes! EEek!

Yikes! Glad the tornado did not touch down. Tornados have always sounded terrifying to me. I am so glad I don't live in Tornado Alley.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Yikes! Glad the tornado did not touch down. Tornados have always sounded terrifying to me. I am so glad I don't live in Tornado Alley.
    NOR DO I!!