Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member

And, a degreed nurse only makes $20/hr? I did not know that. That boggles my mind. For the amount of money that health care costs, where is all the money going??

Here, where the cost of living is beyond cheap, yes, a brand new RN with a BSN starts at $20/hr. If I answered the rest of your question, I am afraid I really might blow up the thread. Let's just say that I wish we had skipped the Accountable Care Act and gone straight to single payer and there are a lot of regulatory costs in medicine. (And I mean that knowing that it might cost me my job and I might have to go back to waiting tables for tips.)
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    @Italian_Buju -minimum wage nationally in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. States and localities can set it higher if they like. I know, for instance, it's $15/hr in Seattle, but not all of the state of Washington.

If the minimum wage here in TN were raised to 15/hr, I would get a raise and so would most of my coworkers who do not have masters' degrees, except for the nurses. (I have a bachelors.) however, if you think bachelors degree nurses who are making $20/hr vs CNAs who make $10 or people who make $8.75 to transport patients and deliver food and clean rooms are going to stand for not getting a raise if those people do, then you don't know human nature. It's not that all nurses look down on them (some do - I don't like them); it's that they've put years into their education and training and feel that it brings the hospitals and medical practices more skill. And if the bottom gets a raise and so does everyone else to be fair, then how do we contain costs to the patient?

It's a problem, but there are no magic wand solutions.

The problem, is not what you make vs what someone else makes. The problem is that you have CEO's making 8 BILLION dollars a year, while their employees cannot afford food!

I so agree with this ^. No one needs that amount of money.

However, I also agree with the other side (please don't hate me-I really like you :) ). I have a bachelor's degree and it put me into a lot of debt. $500 a month goes to debt for my degree alone (it used to be $680 but I did pay one loan off). So, the way I see it is why did I bother going to school if I'm not going to make more than what minimum wage is going to be anyway? I would have been way better off not going at all. I'd have more money than I do now.

I will also not say anything else on this because I don't want this thread to crash. :)

But why is that the fault of the person that makes minimum wage??

I am sorry, but everyone of you that posted about this, all I can see is "I am mad that the person that makes my coffee/cleans my toilet when I stay at a hotel/makes my sandwich at subway, is able to feed their kids, pay their rent and have heat all winter" And quite frankly, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Some of those people work 40-60 hours a week, doing hard laborious jobs, and you guys do not think they work hard enough to make a living wage?

Minimum wage has gone up quite a few times in the last few years where I live, and while it does not affect me personally, I am glad the woman that makes my tea every morning on my way to work, might be able to buy something nice for her kid and still pay her phone bill in the same month. And it disgusts me that some people would rather see people like that struggle and not be able to eat every day, because they did not have the same opportunity to go to school that you did. Not everyone is born on the same playing field and gets the same chances, but everyone is human and deserves the same dignity and a living wage.

Okay so nobody here ever said we think anyone is beneath us. Not once and not at all. And no one said we would like to see people to continue to struggle. You're right it's not their fault, but it's my fault that my dad worked his butt off so I could get a good education? No it's not. We're not saying that anyone is below anyone or they don't deserve to make money when they work hard, so please quit saying that.

It's not a bad thing to disagree with people and have different point of views but your posts come across a bit mean to me.

I know I said I wouldn't say any more on this but I agree with this.

I do not look down on others and I don't think they should be paid less. I am a good tipper since that was brought up (usually I end up tipping 50% or so when I go out). I think everyone deserves to be treated kindly and be able to provide for their family.

All I'm saying is why did I bother going to school and getting in debt to make the same amount? It's my fault, I know, and if I could go back I would have skipped college.

And that's it because I like this thread too much. No hard feelings to anyone. :)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    @Italian_Buju -minimum wage nationally in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. States and localities can set it higher if they like. I know, for instance, it's $15/hr in Seattle, but not all of the state of Washington.

If the minimum wage here in TN were raised to 15/hr, I would get a raise and so would most of my coworkers who do not have masters' degrees, except for the nurses. (I have a bachelors.) however, if you think bachelors degree nurses who are making $20/hr vs CNAs who make $10 or people who make $8.75 to transport patients and deliver food and clean rooms are going to stand for not getting a raise if those people do, then you don't know human nature. It's not that all nurses look down on them (some do - I don't like them); it's that they've put years into their education and training and feel that it brings the hospitals and medical practices more skill. And if the bottom gets a raise and so does everyone else to be fair, then how do we contain costs to the patient?

The problem, is not what you make vs what someone else makes. The problem is that you have CEO's making 8 BILLION dollars a year, while their employees cannot afford food!

However, I also agree with the other side (please don't hate me-I really like you :) ). I have a bachelor's degree and it put me into a lot of debt. $500 a month goes to debt for my degree alone (it used to be $680 but I did pay one loan off). So, the way I see it is why did I bother going to school if I'm not going to make more than what minimum wage is going to be anyway? I would have been way better off not going at all. I'd have more money than I do now.

I will also not say anything else on this because I don't want this thread to crash. :)

I am sorry, but everyone of you that posted about this, all I can see is "I am mad that the person that makes my coffee/cleans my toilet when I stay at a hotel/makes my sandwich at subway, is able to feed their kids, pay their rent and have heat all winter" And quite frankly, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Some of those people work 40-60 hours a week, doing hard laborious jobs, and you guys do not think they work hard enough to make a living wage?

Minimum wage has gone up quite a few times in the last few years where I live, and while it does not affect me personally, I am glad the woman that makes my tea every morning on my way to work, might be able to buy something nice for her kid and still pay her phone bill in the same month. And it disgusts me that some people would rather see people like that struggle and not be able to eat every day, because they did not have the same opportunity to go to school that you did. Not everyone is born on the same playing field and gets the same chances, but everyone is human and deserves the same dignity and a living wage.

Okay so nobody here ever said we think anyone is beneath us. Not once and not at all. And no one said we would like to see people to continue to struggle. You're right it's not their fault, but it's my fault that my dad worked his butt off so I could get a good education? No it's not. We're not saying that anyone is below anyone or they don't deserve to make money when they work hard, so please quit saying that.

It's not a bad thing to disagree with people and have different point of views but your posts come across a bit mean to me.

Well your whole POV on this subject comes off very mean to me. So, your dad worked his butt off so you could go to school. What about the ones that do not have a dad to do that?

That is what I mean about opportunity. If you are lucky enough to be able to go to school, awesome, good for you, but that does not make the people that did not get that same chance worth any less.

And while you might not have come right out and said they are beneath you, you certainly think they do not work as hard as you do, which is totally wrong. You came right out and said that, or agreed with it anyway (I do not quite recall).

As far as the bolded, what exactly are you saying then? The deserve to make money, just not enough to actually live off?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,723 Member
    I am SO tired. I was staying up last night watching some cringey compilation videos. Cringey as in it hurts to watch them because you feel so bad for the people in the video (why was I doing it to myself?). I had to take several breaks and in the end I felt like I died a little bit inside. One dude sent his wife away on vacation for a week so he could surprise her with a brand new AMAZING kitchen that he spent $60,000 on. First thing she says? "I hate that color." UNREAL. Instead of commenting on the two stoves she always wanted, she got mad at him for not changing a LIGHTBULB of all things. He worked to make her happy all week and the only things she could do were insult him and nitpick. That video was less cringey and more infuriating.

I don't know why I'm saying all this..... guess the video really stuck with me? :lol: Kindness is important!

I was SO angry with that woman for treating her husband like that. How ungrateful of her. I may or may not have referred to her with a choice word or two. Plus, I thought the kitchen looked beautiful and how incredibly sweet for her husband to do that for her.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Woke up to find our dog had died in the middle of the night. She was 11 years old. And we have no idea why it happened.

One of my kids is devastated. The other doesn't even know yet, and I have to tell her soon.

I am SO sorry! :'(
  • Italian_Buju
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out that it DOES affect me. That money doesn't come from thin air. Everybody will be paying for it in the form of higher prices for pretty much everything. If I am also not getting a raise, that is a double hit to me. Buttttt this is the last I will say on this matter. Zipping my lips, promise! :|

My mouth is hanging so far open that it might just fall off my face!

Do you not think the prices of things raise during minimum wage freezes? Do you not think it affects those hard working people?

I am literally floored......

I don't care if I get hate for this, but this is one of the reasons so much of the world has such a poor image of Americans and how they think and behave.......

My sister is American, and is a very high up in a very big company and makes a disgusting amount of money, I would be shocked to hear her say something like this.

FWIW, I'm American and I 1000% agree with @Italian_Buju on this.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that we would begrudge somebody making $15/hr when they don't have any problem at all with the CEO of same company making $5,000+/hr. Seriously?

And, a degreed nurse only makes $20/hr? I did not know that. That boggles my mind. For the amount of money that health care costs, where is all the money going??

I know people who work as unskilled labor in a warehouse who make $26/hr, non-union, in a state with a reasonable cost of living. Why on earth would they make more than a nurse? Oh, right, because the company is willing to pay up to get employees that will stay.

Thank you for saying something......I was starting to think nobody had any common sense around here, or that those that do were too shy to speak up and say so.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    Confession: I have been wearing lots of sleeveless shirts to the office this summer and I constantly find myself feeling myself up...on my triceps, that is. I have triceps I can feel!!!

I'm with ya on that. Mine is actually visible in my office mirror because of the position I hold my arm on the mouse... I keep admiring it!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I'd also like to point out that it DOES affect me. That money doesn't come from thin air. Everybody will be paying for it in the form of higher prices for pretty much everything. If I am also not getting a raise, that is a double hit to me. Buttttt this is the last I will say on this matter. Zipping my lips, promise! :|

Do you not think the prices of things raise during minimum wage freezes? Do you not think it affects those hard working people?

I don't care if I get hate for this, but this is one of the reasons so much of the world has such a poor image of Americans and how they think and behave.......

My sister is American, and is a very high up in a very big company and makes a disgusting amount of money, I would be shocked to hear her say something like this.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that we would begrudge somebody making $15/hr when they don't have any problem at all with the CEO of same company making $5,000+/hr. Seriously?

I know people who work as unskilled labor in a warehouse who make $26/hr, non-union, in a state with a reasonable cost of living. Why on earth would they make more than a nurse? Oh, right, because the company is willing to pay up to get employees that will stay.

Thank you for saying something......I was starting to think nobody had any common sense around here, or that those that do were too shy to speak up and say so.

I'm sorry, but I have to say it...

I think some of us are maybe not interested in arguing or reading arguments, is all. Could we maybe take this somewhere else now if you guys want to keep discussing it?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    @peleroja For a few seconds, I thought you posted that you had contracted yellow fever and was about to freak out. :laugh:
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited July 2015

Well your whole POV on this subject comes off very mean to me. So, your dad worked his butt off so you could go to school. What about the ones that do not have a dad to do that?

That is what I mean about opportunity. If you are lucky enough to be able to go to school, awesome, good for you, but that does not make the people that did not get that same chance worth any less.

And while you might not have come right out and said they are beneath you, you certainly think they do not work as hard as you do, which is totally wrong. You came right out and said that, or agreed with it anyway (I do not quite recall).

As far as the bolded, what exactly are you saying then? The deserve to make money, just not enough to actually live off?

Sorry guys. I removed.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member

Here, where the cost of living is beyond cheap, yes, a brand new RN with a BSN starts at $20/hr. If I answered the rest of your question, I am afraid I really might blow up the thread. Let's just say that I wish we had skipped the Accountable Care Act and gone straight to single payer and there are a lot of regulatory costs in medicine. (And I mean that knowing that it might cost me my job and I might have to go back to waiting tables for tips.)

I agree with you on that.

I'm paying for a prescription out of pocket because my insurance company "doesn't cover" that drug. An ADHD drug? Seriously?

I had to pay for a colonoscopy 100% out of pocket because my family history of colon cancer wasn't enough for my insurance company to let me check it out because I'm not 50 years old yet.

If my doctor says I need something, or a family member needs something, I find it ridiculous that my insurance company can just tell me no.
  • LBuehrle8

peleroja wrote: »

I'm sorry, but I have to say it...

I think some of us are maybe not interested in arguing or reading arguments, is all. Could we maybe take this somewhere else now if you guys want to keep discussing it?

Definitely. I've tried to say it a bunch, we all are different and we have to agree to disagree. We are who we are.
  • LBuehrle8

Not going to argue. I removed my post. Sorry guys,.
  • Italian_Buju

So you believe that everyone should have the same income no matter what their job? I don't think I should be penalized for having parents who worked hard so I could go to school. There are TONS of people who don't have parents to send them to school who get scholarships and loans and put themselves through school. It's possible if you want it bad enough. I was lucky and my parents helped me but I'm still paying off school loans from college too.

How are you being penalized because someone not making a living wage is now going to make one. I am not getting that.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    @peleroja For a few seconds, I thought you posted that you had contracted yellow fever and was about to freak out. :laugh:

LOL, that would take some effort in Canada! I'm just having a little reaction to the vaccine. I'm feeling pretty under the weather but we got so many shots last night I have no idea which is causing it, other than the big lump where I know they did the yellow fever one.
  • Italian_Buju

I agree with you on that.

I'm paying for a prescription out of pocket because my insurance company "doesn't cover" that drug. An ADHD drug? Seriously?

I had to pay for a colonoscopy 100% out of pocket because my family history of colon cancer wasn't enough for my insurance company to let me check it out because I'm not 50 years old yet.

If my doctor says I need something, or a family member needs something, I find it ridiculous that my insurance company can just tell me no.

American health care is a whole other issue, lol. Everything you said here is ridiculous, I totally agree with you!
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member

So you believe that everyone should have the same income no matter what their job? I don't think I should be penalized for having parents who worked hard so I could go to school. There are TONS of people who don't have parents to send them to school who get scholarships and loans and put themselves through school. It's possible if you want it bad enough. I was lucky and my parents helped me but I'm still paying off school loans from college too.

I think college should not be so outrageously expensive. Unfortunately for me, I do have a good salary. My reward? I get to pay $25,000 per year out of pocket for my daughter's college education.

Everybody should have the opportunity to pursue higher education if they wish, without coming out of school with a massive debt. If they decide not to go to school, they should still be able to afford to live.

Should everybody have the exact same salary? No, of course not. I don't remember seeing anybody suggesting that. But, everybody should have the opportunity to make a living wage.
  • MoHousdon
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Woke up to find our dog had died in the middle of the night. She was 11 years old. And we have no idea why it happened.

One of my kids is devastated. The other doesn't even know yet, and I have to tell her soon.

I am so, so sorry to hear this. That's truly heartbreaking. :'(

• MoHousdon
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    Spent over $100 on groceries, went to Taco Bell right afterwards.

I used to do this every time I went to the grocery store. It took junking my car to break me of that habit! I haven't picked it up again, knock on wood.

Confession: We do go out to eat right after (or before depending on how we feel) grocery shopping. :flushed:

We usually do too. Who wants to shop hungry, or cook when you've just spent all that time shopping?! Not me.

• Italian_Buju

I think college should not be so outrageously expensive. Unfortunately for me, I do have a good salary. My reward? I get to pay $25,000 per year out of pocket for my daughter's college education.

Everybody should have the opportunity to pursue higher education if they wish, without coming out of school with a massive debt. If they decide not to go to school, they should still be able to afford to live.

Should everybody have the exact same salary? No, of course not. I don't remember seeing anybody suggesting that. But, everybody should have the opportunity to make a living wage.

This!

Thank you I was trying to figure out how to word that, but this says it perfectly.