Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Happy National Hot Dog Day everyone!! I love hotdogs nom nom nom!!

Count me in as a hotdog lover especially if they are done on a bbq!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    @Italian_Buju -minimum wage nationally in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. States and localities can set it higher if they like. I know, for instance, it's $15/hr in Seattle, but not all of the state of Washington.

If the minimum wage here in TN were raised to 15/hr, I would get a raise and so would most of my coworkers who do not have masters' degrees, except for the nurses. (I have a bachelors.) however, if you think bachelors degree nurses who are making $20/hr vs CNAs who make $10 or people who make $8.75 to transport patients and deliver food and clean rooms are going to stand for not getting a raise if those people do, then you don't know human nature. It's not that all nurses look down on them (some do - I don't like them); it's that they've put years into their education and training and feel that it brings the hospitals and medical practices more skill. And if the bottom gets a raise and so does everyone else to be fair, then how do we contain costs to the patient?

It's a problem, but there are no magic wand solutions.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MelissaPhippsFeagins I'm horrible at expressing my thoughts and opinions without sounding ridiculous but your post is exactly how I feel too.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    @Italian_Buju -minimum wage nationally in the U.S. is $7.25/hr. States and localities can set it higher if they like. I know, for instance, it's $15/hr in Seattle, but not all of the state of Washington.

If the minimum wage here in TN were raised to 15/hr, I would get a raise and so would most of my coworkers who do not have masters' degrees, except for the nurses. (I have a bachelors.) however, if you think bachelors degree nurses who are making $20/hr vs CNAs who make $10 or people who make $8.75 to transport patients and deliver food and clean rooms are going to stand for not getting a raise if those people do, then you don't know human nature. It's not that all nurses look down on them (some do - I don't like them); it's that they've put years into their education and training and feel that it brings the hospitals and medical practices more skill. And if the bottom gets a raise and so does everyone else to be fair, then how do we contain costs to the patient?

It's a problem, but there are no magic wand solutions.

The problem, is not what you make vs what someone else makes. The problem is that you have CEO's making 8 BILLION dollars a year, while their employees cannot afford food!

• levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that it DOES affect me. That money doesn't come from thin air. Everybody will be paying for it in the form of higher prices for pretty much everything. If I am also not getting a raise, that is a double hit to me. Buttttt this is the last I will say on this matter. Zipping my lips, promise! :|
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out that it DOES affect me. That money doesn't come from thin air. Everybody will be paying for it in the form of higher prices for pretty much everything. If I am also not getting a raise, that is a double hit to me. Buttttt this is the last I will say on this matter. Zipping my lips, promise! :|

My mouth is hanging so far open that it might just fall off my face!

Do you not think the prices of things raise during minimum wage freezes? Do you not think it affects those hard working people?

I am literally floored......

I don't care if I get hate for this, but this is one of the reasons so much of the world has such a poor image of Americans and how they think and behave.......

My sister is American, and is a very high up in a very big company and makes a disgusting amount of money, I would be shocked to hear her say something like this.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    My friend posted an app on Facebook that generates something you would say based on your comments. His are hilarious, but mine are all SUPER boring. "Hey, me too!" "Thanks, that means a lot." "I appreciate it." Those are all things I actually said... generate me something random! I get that I don't post on Facebook all that much, but do you have to make me look so boring :(
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Alright please let's all just agree to disagree about such things. We all come very different cultures and backgrounds and are definitely bound to have different feelings, thoughts, and opinions on things and that's okay. Peace guys :)
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

Sir-up here... And I say tenna shoes as well, by the way!
    High five! :tongue:
    @ShibaEars Yes apparently it used to be a brand :0

... Did it have vicodin in it? ;)

Lol maybe it did and that's why we're all such a bunch of happy kids!
    And that's why the human race has evolved to crave chocolate so desperately. Sneaky company!!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Umm, there aren't enough CEOs making that much money to make up the difference for every entry level employee to make $15/hr AND give the currently mid-level and lower management people comparable wages. There are overpaid CEOs. Mine is not one of them and in fact is one of the nicest men I know. But even if there were enough of them, you didn't accuse them of looking down at the people who cook and clean and mow for them. You accused people whom I suspect are a lot like me, slogging in the middle class, cooking most of my own food, cleaning my own house, and mowing my own lawn of maybe paying my own teens to do it.

I'm sure you didn't mean to make us feel judged and I appreciate your passion for the less fortunate. (by the way, I do try to help them directly by volunteering my time to a free medical clinic and a few other things that make a practical difference to them.)

P.S. I have this thought that things would improve here if we had term limits and if anyone who left elected office or a high level bureaucratic job for one of those high paying jobs had to surrender their government pension completely and pay a 50% tax for the first 5 years if they or their company attempt to lobby government in any way. We sell access to the highest bidder and that's a damned shame. (for instance, the Treasury Secretary shouldn't be able to work for any bank or hedge fund for 5 years after he leaves office. The job comes with a pension and there is too much inside knowledge for working in the banking industry not to give the bank he or she works for a competitive advantage.)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Alright please let's all just agree to disagree about such things. We all come very different cultures and backgrounds and are definitely bound to have different feelings, thoughts, and opinions on things and that's okay. Peace guys :)

Peace and even love and chocolate:)
  • riderfangal
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

Sir-up here... And I say tenna shoes as well, by the way!
    High five! :tongue:
    @ShibaEars Yes apparently it used to be a brand :0

... Did it have vicodin in it? ;)

Lol maybe it did and that's why we're all such a bunch of happy kids!
    And that's why the human race has evolved to crave chocolate so desperately. Sneaky company!!!

I think you may have just uncovered a global wide conspiracy lol
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Random thought: is Vi-co short for vitamin chocolate? because that might be like a YooHoo and YooHoos are awesome!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

Well chocolate is a given :*
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Well chocolate is a given :*

Around this thread it certainly is. I hope we talk about chocolate more than we eat it or we're going to cause a worldwide shortage. LOL!

• riderfangal
    Options
    Random thought: is Vi-co short for vitamin chocolate? because that might be like a YooHoo and YooHoos are awesome!

Maybe that's what it means. We don't see it anymore not since I was a kid but somehow the name just stuck around
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)

Yes, and I will crash at your place and stuff myself silly with chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars when I am heading to northern ID to visit family!! I like this plan very much.

Lol! On my way then... Get a bed ready for me, @WestCoastJo82 :p

Sweet, I'll be ready for you - I'll purchase baking ingredients and everything ;)

If @Susieq_1994 is baking may I come please?!?

Come on down - party in Pullman at Jo's house!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Italian_Buju - what are the six kinds of cheese in your refrigerator? I currently have cottage, cream, shredded Colby-jack, mozzarella, parmesan and Kraft singles for my boys to make grilled cheese for their lunches. I ate a piece of that yesterday between my toast and scrambled egg whites for breakfast because I am tragically out of Swiss and provolone.

There are things we agree on, let's talk about those. :)
  • riderfangal
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)

Yes, and I will crash at your place and stuff myself silly with chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars when I am heading to northern ID to visit family!! I like this plan very much.

Lol! On my way then... Get a bed ready for me, @WestCoastJo82 :p

Sweet, I'll be ready for you - I'll purchase baking ingredients and everything ;)

If @Susieq_1994 is baking may I come please?!?

Come on down - party in Pullman at Jo's house!

Yay! I love parties!
  • Italian_Buju
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Umm, there aren't enough CEOs making that much money to make up the difference for every entry level employee to make $15/hr AND give the currently mid-level and lower management people comparable wages. There are overpaid CEOs. Mine is not one of them and in fact is one of the nicest men I know. But even if there were enough of them, you didn't accuse them of looking down at the people who cook and clean and mow for them. You accused people whom I suspect are a lot like me, slogging in the middle class, cooking most of my own food, cleaning my own house, and mowing my own lawn of maybe paying my own teens to do it.

I'm sure you didn't mean to make us feel judged and I appreciate your passion for the less fortunate. (by the way, I do try to help them directly by volunteering my time to a free medical clinic and a few other things that make a practical difference to them.)

P.S. I have this thought that things would improve here if we had term limits and if anyone who left elected office or a high level bureaucratic job for one of those high paying jobs had to surrender their government pension completely and pay a 50% tax for the first 5 years if they or their company attempt to lobby government in any way. We sell access to the highest bidder and that's a damned shame. (for instance, the Treasury Secretary shouldn't be able to work for any bank or hedge fund for 5 years after he leaves office. The job comes with a pension and there is too much inside knowledge for working in the banking industry not to give the bank he or she works for a competitive advantage.)

As for the bolded, HELL YES! I have never suggested otherwise I have just never understood why someone, ANYONE, would want to watch someone else suffer and not be able to provide for themselves or their kids.....and that, is certainly what all this menial job hate is sounding like to me!

I did not accuse anyone of anything, someone said it, I did not think it up, it is all here in black and white!!

I can't recall if it was here or not that I went on a tangent about under tipping service workers, but that is always a huge problem of mine. In fact, I NEVER share a bill with anyone when eating out, because I do not think most people tip enough, and I have made sure to teach my children to tip properly. Those people work hard for their money, just like the rest of us, and are usually paid crap. This is along those same lines. Like I said, my sister is similar to some of those CEO's we speak about, and I would take her up one side and down the other if I ever heard her say something as ignorant as some of the statements I have heard here tonight!

To be upset, because someone that has struggled their whole lives can now afford to pay their rent and eat, is disgusting and nasty, period.

ETA: I do not work a job where I make tips, just for the record.