Sugar and carb addiction addiction

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
On carbohydrate addiction addiction
MFP tends to get a sugar / carbohydrate addiction thread about once a day. As such, I thought it would be helpful to have something explaining the neurobiology of what happens in classically addictive substances like cocaine, and why similar chemistry in food consumption might sound like the same thing when reported by lazy science writers throwing out hyperbole for click-bait.

First forewarning – this isn’t meant to belittle or deny anyone’s experience. I am one of the cold science meanies some of MFP hates, but philosophically, I very much believe in compassion and acknowledging people’s experiences – so yes, I’ll validate your feels, and be a hugbox if you want, but only those feelings, and only when asked for. if you want to spout bad or pseudoscience, I won’t validate it not only because I care a great deal about scientific knowledge and process, but also because I believe self-delusion is unhealthy. More so, what I’ve found while studying neuroscience as an amateur enthusiast is that what the brain experiences is real – the humans haven’t evolved new abstract ways of feeling, we’ve just mapped a lot of abstract concept onto physical feedback systems as old as reptiles.

Second – I’ll admit, I’m not a neuroscientist, and as a learner, I’d appreciate feedback and corrections by anyone with knowledge or sources.

On brains makes telephone calls
I’m probably ruining it for anyone interested in quickly looking for something to disagree with, but I think it helps to start by actually understanding the main neurotransmitters involved cocaine, two of which are also involved in eating, and all three of which are involved in depression, which is what started my interest in the subject.
Anyway, sending signals across the tiny distances between neurons in the brain is actually a pretty daunting task. Poor guys can’t even send calls out describing what they want to, they have to kind of write messages in a bottle and chuck it. To make it worse, they can’t even write the message they want, they tend to have to toss neurotransmitters that can be pretty vague and mean sometimes almost conflicting things. Serotonin, for example, is actually 90% in the guts, and yet, lack of it the brain makes you feel kind of crappy. So yeah, you’re brain’s signals are kind of loose, it’s had to rewire the flush it out the body signal to flush it out of your mind signal.
Norepinephrine – this is the one that isn’t involved much in food. It does activate pleasure centers to an extent, and as far as weight loss goes, the most interesting thing is that norepinephrine is that lack of norepinephrine is pretty involved in psycho-motor retardation: the type of nerve fatigue that involves not moving. In CICO terms, it is pretty important for CO, but not as important in controlling CI.
Dopamine – this is probably one of the most misrepresented molecules ever. If someone has heard of dopamine, the off the cuff explanation is that dopamine is the reward chemical of the brain. Well, that’s great, so how do you explain the fact that people with a gambling itch get dopamine signals whether they win or lose, or before they’ve even shook hands with a one armed bandit? Why is that when you hook up a device for rats to activate the dopamine pathways at the push of a button, you see the most response not when the button works every time, but only intermittently? I’d say it is far more accurate to call dopamine the reward ANTICIPATION chemical – and that makes an important distinction in explaining food later on. Some researchers even consider dopamine the incentivizing chemical because it also appears to go off in relation to pain – possibly saying, “pay attention, let’s get away from the large predator mauling us before we lose any more fingers”. I’m still waiting for the addiction people to explain to me why dopamine lighting up an in MRI means we’re addicted to carbohydrates, but no one says we’re addicted to getting pin pricks when MRI scans show dopamine activity too.
Serotonin – serotonin is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. For humans, it has effects on appetite, impulse control, and can prevent obsessive / repetitive thoughts. The latter two are why serotonin is a very common target for anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications. Despite being inhibitory, excessive serotonin is also associated with hallucinations, such as caused by psychedelics. Of particular interest is the fact that eating activates serotonin, which then down regulates dopamine to reduce appetite.

Pixie sticks vs pixie dust
So, now that we know something about neurotransmitters, let’s look at the excessively simple explanation of what happens with neurotransmitters when eating sugar (potentially any food, but sugar gets the bad rap these days), or when taking cocaine.
Eating sugar: dopamine goes up, spikes, serotonin goes up, dopamine goes down, serotonin eventually lowers as well.
Cocaine: dopamine goes up, stays up a long time, serotonin goes up, stays up a long time, norepinephrine goes up, stays up a long time.

SEE, SEE! THEY’RE ALIKE! IT’S ADDICTION
Remember that part where I said let’s look at the excessively simple explanation? Up your serotonin (control yourself) and follow along at what is very different.
To begin with, it was already said, dopamine isn’t about reward, and that is very important: food is a reward (but please don’t reward yourself with food). I kind of tricked you, dopamine goes up on detecting food, not eating it. You can even get similar effects to happen setting up the classical condition of having a dog condition to anticipate food when a bell rings, and last I checked, no one thought we’d ever caused dogs to have bell addiction. Serotonin actually rises to turn off dopamine as you ingest – you got the reward, let’s stop looking around for more, maybe even find a comfy spot, you know? You found the food, you’re going to survive and maybe reproduce, so hey, we can afford to be a little more still. The cycle actually tends to limit itself.
So what happens with cocaine? Cocaine is a reuptake inhibitor for norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine. Normally, neurotransmitters get recycled all the time (yeah, your brain drives a Prius, get over it), but a reuptake inhibitor tends to jam up the recycling center, and instead, you wind up with neurotransmitters activating neurons over and over again. Normally, like when neurotransmitters handle your appetite, activation upregulates recycling, so there’s a balance. I’ve not personally been around it, but I’m told balanced is not a word normally associated with cocaine use. With the reuptake pumps inhibited, the flooding means a person on cocaine has dopamine causing a high state of arousal (not that kind of arousal, this isn’t the chit-chat forum), serotonin is elevated to the levels that can cause hallucinations, even norepinephrine is up. All of this is recipe for someone that isn’t sitting still any time soon. That’s quite the difference.

But I eliminated da carbzzzz and I got better
Well, let’s look at it in terms of what your neurotransmitters were kludged into working on – problems of existing on the plains of Africa. Normally, finding food, particularly starches, can be hard. It can take work, and you once you find it, you might need to sit still chewing or pounding for a long time to get all those carbs out. Serotonin’s coming in stops dopamine from making you wander around looking for more. Now, in a modern home, find and consuming carbohydrates is relatively easy – it doesn’t take much wandering, and therefore, not much pushing from dopamine. People who eliminate carbs and put them out of their home as a form of elimination diet are kind of repeating this. Yeah, getting in your SUV and going down to the grocery store to get ice cream is less effort than wandering the plains of Africa, but still, it is upping the amount of reward anticipation needed to drive the behavior compared to having it sitting around the house.
In comparison, cocaine keeps arousal and desire high. People will go through incredible painful (both psychologically and physically) to go find more cocaine.

But I had withdrawals like addicts
LOL, no, you didn’t. Keto flu is what you might have had. You can’t detox sugar from your body the way a drug user detoxes the drug from their system. Your body MAKES sugar (glucose) because your brain and a few other things require it to make somethings happen. Yes, ketogenesis can cause the brain to use more ketones than normal for fuel, but your brain will essentially beg, borrow, and steal (including breaking down tissue to steal sugar from the amino acids) to keep up the necessary pathways.
Meanwhile, there also huge differences in what has happened to the neurons between someone giving up carbs, and someone giving up cocaine. All of that force signaling via neurotransmitters that cocaine caused? Well, the neurons don’t like being told to stay constantly alert, and thinking your body is out of balance, they adapt to reduce their receptors to handle what they see as a malfunctioning signal. So, now the cocaine addict comes down, gets it out of their system, and their neurons aren’t reacting ENOUGH to the neurotransmitters like a normal person. This is part of the physical withdrawal that is often clinically called physical dependence to distinguish it from people arguing over what is or isn’t addictive. I’ve yet to hear of sugar addiction causing this kind of negative feedback loop, but I’d be happy to see evidence of it.

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    But I like it and don't want to give it up!!

So let's look at what most would cal irrational behavior and see what we want to call it

Someone is over eating gaining weight. They know it and suffer bad consequences. They try to stop but just can't.

A person is diagnosed with diabetes. They are told to reduce sugar immediately. They try but can't. They have toes amputated. They have a hand removed. They are terrified and want to eat right but just fail. They die.

Are they addicts of a type? They have self destructive compulsive behavior. They seem to be genuinely unable to control it. They guy does not want his foot amputated... But he eats doughnuts anyway.

I suggest there are those sort of triggered behaviors with food that are legitimate addictions.

Food addiction is gaining traction as a legitimate addiction

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/mental-health-food-addiction
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My thoughts have always been on the "sugar addicts"...they think it is real...they believe it is real...so in a sense all that they are feeling is real.

I think some of it comes from conditioning. What I mean by conditioning is everywhere you turn there is...cut back on sugar...sugar is bad...sugar is the cause of weight gain...etc...etc.

I liken it to if someone is told over and over that they are ugly...bad...worthless...the person begins to believe it. I worked with behavioral children several years ago. The one thing that they all had in common was that they had been told over and over that they were "bad".

For people that believe they are addict to sugar...that have actual physical uncomfortable sensations when deprived of it...I am not sure that they will ever be convinced that sugar addiction does not exist.

Our minds are very powerful entities...it is as if it can convince you of about anything if you want to believe it. It is fascinating to me how the mind works.

I find the whole conversation about "sugar addiction" interesting. I just wish that it could be discussed instead of turning in to a battle.

Your OP was an enjoyable read...even if I didn't quite understand it all. :|

Thanks for your time of putting it together.
  • senecarr
    Options

So let's look at what most would cal irrational behavior and see what we want to call it

Someone is over eating gaining weight. They know it and suffer bad consequences. They try to stop but just can't.

A person is diagnosed with diabetes. They are told to reduce sugar immediately. They try but can't. They have toes amputated. They have a hand removed. They are terrified and want to eat right but just fail. They die.

Are they addicts of a type? They have self destructive compulsive behavior. They seem to be genuinely unable to control it. They guy does not want his foot amputated... But he eats doughnuts anyway.

I suggest there are those sort of triggered behaviors with food that are legitimate addictions.

I checked webmd, all it said was I had cancer.
    Also, you generally ignored how most of this was how no food addiction is a physical dependency like cocaine. People lose ties to the common failure of selling it future self for the now. Can you tell me people actively offer up toes for pixie sticks or walk over broken glass for it? Or offer to sell their children for it? That's the kind of behavior hard drug addicts commit.
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Its NOT the CARBS! Its the FAT! Dietary fat inhibits insulin activity which gives rise to elevated blood sugars. Your hypothetical man is craving carbs because he needs glucose. We all need glucose. His brain needs glucose. Its not because he has an addiction to "carbs". We all have an addiction to carbs because we need it to live! Its not some behavioral game that the mind is playing on us, we need it to live. Maybe your guy shot himself with too much insulin and he's starting to crash? He is going to need glucose to raise his sugar levels to a normal blood level for himself. He reaches for a donut, which is full of fat, and raises his blood sugar levels. But, this time the fat in that donut is working against him because the FAT is the main offender of his issue, not the sugar. So, he pricks his finger to check his blood sugar levels again, and shoots himself with some more insulin. Its a vicious unending cycle. Is he getting any better? Is he curing himself of his diabetes? Does he have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Is he ridding himself of his insulin medication? Probably not, if he's Type 1, but if he's Type 2 he just might have a chance to cure himself. Cure himself by losing weight and slowing getting off the meds. Getting healthy and feeling better. Not remaining a victim of a disease he has control over if he permanently changes his diet and lifestyle. He doesn't HAVE to have it, but maybe he chooses to be labeled a diabetic because he is not ready to face the REALITY that he does indeed have self-control. Its easier to accept the diagnosis and stay in his comfort zone than it is to really change. Its excuses. It doesn't have to be that way.

Watch this...

https://youtu.be/iosoXlr3ZVI
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

If someone wants to self-identify as sugar addicted, that's fine with me, but they better be out there treating it like an addiction if they expect me to take it seriously.

Otherwise, I will feel no guilt at all eating a donut in front of them.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    My thoughts have always been on the "sugar addicts"...they think it is real...they believe it is real...so in a sense all that they are feeling is real.

I think some of it comes from conditioning. What I mean by conditioning is everywhere you turn there is...cut back on sugar...sugar is bad...sugar is the cause of weight gain...etc...etc.

I liken it to if someone is told over and over that they are ugly...bad...worthless...the person begins to believe it. I worked with behavioral children several years ago. The one thing that they all had in common was that they had been told over and over that they were "bad".

For people that believe they are addict to sugar...that have actual physical uncomfortable sensations when deprived of it...I am not sure that they will ever be convinced that sugar addiction does not exist.

Our minds are very powerful entities...it is as if it can convince you of about anything if you want to believe it. It is fascinating to me how the mind works.

I find the whole conversation about "sugar addiction" interesting. I just wish that it could be discussed instead of turning in to a battle.

It's a real concern. Just last week a study was released relating to this.

"Charlotte Hardman and colleagues from Liverpool and Bristol conducted a randomized, controlled study of the effects of exposing people to health reports suggesting that food addiction is real versus reports that suggest it is a myth. They found that people who were told it is real were more likely to assess themselves as being food addicts. But they weren’t necessarily more likely to eat more indulgent foods as a result.

Though this study doesn’t resolve the vexing questions of how to deal with food addiction, it does shine a light on the importance of unbiased reporting about it. Health media — and for that matter advocates — who speak with absolute certainty can do real harm. Both extremes are unwarranted. Food addiction is neither bogus nor is it a biological certainty."

Media: http://conscienhealth.org/2015/07/food-addiction-does-thinking-make-it-so/
    Abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25891042

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Human beings act irrationally all the time. Why call this particular way an "addiction" and not the choice to watch TV instead of studying or any of the million other such examples.

Plus, it's usually not strictly irrational. It's more about being bad at measuring short term vs. long term consequences or not believing adequately in the connection between the actions you should take and the positive long term results. The latter is why accurate information and not the addiction model would be much more helpful.
    Someone is over eating gaining weight. They know it and suffer bad consequences. They try to stop but just can't.... Are they addicts of a type?

Nope. Again, people make bad choices all the time. So much of this seems to be "but I wouldn't make that choice and I can't understand doing it, thus there must be some other explanation--aha! addiction."

To start, I honestly do not believe they cannot help the behavior. I think when they weigh the options as they see them: "maybe losing weight and avoiding consequences in the long term, perhaps, after a long period of time of sacrifice" vs. "putting it off one more day and having a known pleasure" it's not at all surprising that many people pick option two.

To provide a different result, I think what truly would help is (a) convincing people that it's not such a sacrifice, (b) helping them believe in a concrete way in the positive consequences, and (c) helping them see long term results better and stop thinking just one more day makes no difference. For me this latter part was enormously helpful and resulted when I starting thinking in terms of how fast a year seems to pass these days and placing a time line on my realistic weight loss. Thinking "I could be 150 on October 1" vs. "I really need to start losing weight" made a huge difference in me being able to see a sacrifice as worth it.

And then once I got started I was able to understand it was not really much of a sacrifice.

This mindset change prevented me from continuing to act in a way that to those who haven't been fat must have seemed inexplicable and thus clearly abnormal or "addicted." Ugh.

(And having struggled with an addiction, the ease at which people make the comparison to things that are so different really does bother me and seem ignorant.)

But people seem committed to this frivolous way of understanding "addiction" so I suppose I should just accept it. I do find it incredibly odd that people want to claim the label.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Good lesson. I would have liked to have seen you work insulin into that mix too since it can affect leptin, and alos because many people with carb issues appear to be insulin resistance to some degree.

What are your thoughts on insulin's affects on diet?
  • senecarr
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Good lesson. I would have liked to have seen you work insulin into that mix too since it can affect leptin, and alos because many people with carb issues appear to be insulin resistance to some degree.

What are your thoughts on insulin's affects on diet?
    I don't think it plays much into the food addiction stuff. Protein can easily raise insulin, yet we don't hear about people talking about being addicted to chicken breast. Just quickly looking into research in the area, while insulin definitely crosses the blood-brain barrier, it doesn't actually appear to alter the brain's glucose metabolic rate. It looks like an area that is still under research.
    I think in terms of tying insulin, ghrelin, and leptin into neurotransmitters, they're more likely to interact with glucocorticoids like cortisol, and thus only play an indirect role.
    I'll readily admit, much of my neuro-chemistry knoweldge comes from the primary angle of studying it in depression and pharmaceutical treatment, and learning about it in appetite is secondary.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Educational OP! Bookmarked for future reference.

Yes, I see it the same way as this.

They think it's an addiction so they act like it's an addiction. That still doesn't make it an addiction.

It depends on the person as to whether you can help them by going along with their delusion or getting them to see their problem is psychological.

I encourage them to accept that they aren't really having cravings - they just think they are - and can actually eat what they like in moderation.

My mottos are, "Don't believe everything you think", and "challenge your thoughts".
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Can you tell me people actively offer up toes for pixie sticks or walk over broken glass for it? Or offer to sell their children for it? That's the kind of behavior hard drug addicts commit.

If they could get cocaine at the 7-11 it would be a useful comparison but the alleged "sugar addicts" don't need to go to these lengths to procure their fix.

I do some work in a prison and there are inmates who regularly complain they can only buy 1 kg of sugar every other week - and that's on top of the food provided and other sweet things they can buy. 5 teaspoons of sugar in a mug of tea anyone ?

I agree that the actual drug addicts on methadone etc are a different kettle of fish, in general they have grey complexions and multiple medical and mental health issues resulting from their addiction.

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Totally not trying to stir the pot and I really don't believe in sugar addiction, but I don't get when people compare selling their body/stealing from loved ones for the drug. Nicotine is an addictive substance and I've never known anybody, myself included, to do anything that extreme for a pack of cigarettes.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    IMO...there are different types of addiction...physical addiction...psychological addiction. Certainly they are different but in a sense they both create that dependency upon an outside factor.

I never thought about "food addiction" until I joined MFP. I have never applied that term to my own weight gain. I knew why I was gaining weight...knew the reasons why I turned to food to fill a void. I told myself often that I had to get it under control...I certainly tried on several occasions. In the end...I kept turning back to food...seeking the comfort that I couldn't find through what one might call "normal" means.

After gaining 100+ lbs (don't ask what the + was...I don't know) and a trip to DC something clicked. Even after that click twice I have turned back to food. First time I lost 40lbs...gained it all back. Second time I lost 80lbs...gained more than half of it back. So this is my third time to tackle this weight loss.

Was I/am I addicted to food...NO. Have I suffered withdrawals...NO. I was however dependent upon food for my "high" on most days. I used it for a way to occupy my mind...to give me a few minutes of pleasure. That is what I have had to come to terms with and find other ways of accomplishing that "high".

I get why people feel as if they need to "detox". What they don't understand...IMO...is that they don't need to "detox" physically but instead maybe mentally. Maybe it is just the ceremony of doing something different...being successful at making it to the end of a certain length of time...that gives the that feeling of euphoria that they report.

I am not recommending that anyone go along with the "I am addicted to food/sugar/carbs." mentality. I do believe however that our approach to these people might be a little harsh. I think that when we see these threads about addiction and detox they get responses that sends the OP scurrying off and not the help that they are seeking.

IDK...I just think it is more complicated than someone yelling at them...have some self-control...learn some moderation...etc...etc...

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The Sugar Wars

So much wrong in this thread

It is the carbs not the fat...

Dietary fat does not make you IR. your own body fat contributes to it.

CICO always matters

Mental addiction can drive people to self destruction not just physical

Yes you can work out long and hard on low carb. I do it often. Yesterday on 50 carbs after work.

k5vas18l12d9.jpg

On low carb you can out perform lots of people eating a variety of diets. That you can't is a myth.

I'm in the Map My Ride Challenge with 48,000 participants across the country.

tc1npb6iqpsx.jpg

I'm in the top 7%. This bit of not being able to enjoy an active life on low carb is silly.

pn5jrkrbd0hu.jpg

The MFP sugar wars are a waste of time when we could be sharing what actually works instead of what goes on now.

Bottom line.....

What are you actually doing, what is working and helping you be your best.

If you have a friend that has a weakness for sugar, yelling at them won't help. If they have an outright obsessive behavior they may need help to find out why.

Arguing semantics as the nation gets fatter and fatter, with weight related health problems are decimating our healthcare budget....

Is this approach the solution?

If anyone wants ideas on what helped me kick the sugar habit just message.

I'm out!!!

Got a busy day!!

• senecarr
    Options
    The Sugar Wars

So much wrong in this thread

It is the carbs not the fat...

Dietary fat does not make you IR. your own body fat contributes to it.

CICO always matters

Mental addiction can drive people to self destruction not just physical

Yes you can work out long and hard on low carb. I do it often. Yesterday on 50 carbs after work.

On low carb you can out perform lots of people eating a variety of diets. That you can't is a myth.

I'm in the Map My Ride Challenge with 48,000 participants across the country.

I'm in the top 7%. This bit of not being able to enjoy an active life on low carb is silly.

The MFP sugar wars are a waste of time when we could be sharing what actually works instead of what goes on now.

Bottom line.....

What are you actually doing, what is working and helping you be your best.

If you have a friend that has a weakness for sugar, yelling at them won't help. If they have an outright obsessive behavior they may need help to find out why.

Arguing semantics as the nation gets fatter and fatter, with weight related health problems are decimating our healthcare budget....

Is this approach the solution?

If anyone wants ideas on what helped me kick the sugar habit just message.

I'm out!!!

Got a busy day!!

Sugar doesn't make you insulin resistant either. Barring genetics, you won't be insulin resistant without being in a sustained calorie surplus. Saying it is sugar is a gross simplification.
    Also, complaining people are arguing semantics when you're just plain posting ideology without actually responding to anything said? You're not here for discussion, you're here to blast an opinion and hope it cancels out. That shows that what you have is an ideology, not an understanding. An ideologue can't have his opinion changed, someone with understanding is willing to update with new information and nuisance.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Okay...not sure if I have a response to all of this...I'll let someone else take this one!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

This is why I tell people if they truly think they're addicted, it's time to go talk to a therapist. I think quite a few people have strong psychological responses to food that have to get worked out.

You mentioned a little after this quote physical v. psychological addiction. From my [not professional] understanding, compulsion is similar to the concept of psychological addiction, which, again, is why I usually think a trip to the therapist is the best idea.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Well, I'd question using webmd as a source for medical information. It's not a noted 'expert' source. Since you can pretty much be diagnosed with cancer with any list of symptoms....

By a loose definition of 'addiction' food addition is gaining traction.... along the same lines as sex addiction and gambling addictions. These things do destroy lives, because people don't take ownership for the things that are causing them to avoid what their real problems are and they turn to whatever makes them feel better, be it food or sex or gambling. That's a mental health issue.
    NOT the same thing as a true 'addiction'.... as in heroin, cocaine, and even nicotine and alcohol.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Please don't get nuked tonight. I'd like something to read during lunch tomorrow.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

ETA: Great post, @senecarr I might try to find a graphic that maps out those processes. I think I could follow it better visually.
    Totally not trying to stir the pot and I really don't believe in sugar addiction, but I don't get when people compare selling their body/stealing from loved ones for the drug. Nicotine is an addictive substance and I've never known anybody, myself included, to do anything that extreme for a pack of cigarettes.

Someone already mentioned that sugar addicts can get their fix pretty much anywhere, which is the same case with cigarettes. However, what happens when you take away that ability, when a person can't easily get them? Having been a smoker with literally no money, "extreme" becomes relative. Is it extreme to panhandle for cigarettes? How about pulling long butts out of public ashtrays? Grabbing lit stubs people drop before going inside a building? Knicking a pack from an open purse or jacket pocket on a subway?