WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• HenciBenci
    HenciBenci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    zuns2r5papxl.jpg

The first day of a new month is a clean slate....turning the page on the calendar tells me that I can make a fresh start with new plans and new goals. Thus we start this thread anew each month.

Reflect on how you did with your goals and resolutions for June and then set them aside and move on.
    What goals and resolutions do you have for July? It's a bright shiny new month and a chance to make a fresh start.

June Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day (every day and some days many more)
    *strength training twice a week (once a week)
    *don't take things personally (a necessary and useful outlook many times during the month)
    * figure out a good meatless low sodium stew recipe (created an easy one that I'll use again)

July Resolutions
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day
    * drink at least nine glasses of water a day
    *answer two long overdue e mails
    *strength training twice a week

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

• HenciBenci
    HenciBenci Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am new here and have no idea about how to reply.... Choose group and so one....hope to learn fast...anyone from Sweden here?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Aaaawwwwwww! How nice! I know some of the women on here enjoy reading about far flung places, so I do my best! With cheeses, I have to be very careful as it's easy to go overboard. My favourites are the stinky French ones like Epoisses, but I only buy them for Christmas or when someone is coming for dinner who will eat it with me. DH hates them, even the smell. My brother and sister in law are the prime candidates - it is like the gannets descending on their prey. No problem with left overs.

Today has not been brilliant foodwise, too much tiredness and flatness. I will be over as NO exercise. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. Been feeling self indulgent. Alcohol has called and I have answered. :cry:

Love you all, soooooo much.

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    we're home.. now to do laundry, change the bed sheets, etc... fun fun.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Rori – if your travels take you to the San Francisco/Oakland area I would love to meet you too!

Lisa – WoW! On the inches lost, the running, the cleaning, the getting the whole gang to help, showing the crew what a real team is….+++++++ You are doing an amazing job!

Toni – I have and love my fitbit, I wear it everywhere and really find it motivating me to at least the goal I have set…

Sylvia – great morning and plans for the rest of the day!

Heather – I agree with Janet, you write well and really should do some travel spot or restaurant review for a blog or local paper. I have a curry recipe I want to try, but it makes a huge amount, and I’ll need to do it when there are some others over so I don’t have so many left overs.

Well, I am in a corner as far as my embroidery goes, I need a particular shade of gold-yellow thread and the place I get it from is closed this weekend. So I will probably drive to Sacramento (1.5 hours each way) on Tuesday and get it then, I thought I had an extra spool and it turned out to be a sunshine yellow..OPPS ! I should have looked more carefully. As a result though I spend 2 hours weeding my veggie garden yesterday evening and a hour and a half in the front tidying it up a bit this morning… while it was not to hot.

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles 7/25 - 131miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 9
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    W3 – final week of camp
    W4 – summer starts (for me) 3 days with my “boys” , a trip to SF,
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wedding pics:
    These are from friend's son wedding: 8ti5r3aamoab.jpg
    744m1h73eomw.jpg

These are from my cousin's daughter's wedding. They were married at the Landmark Center. The building pictured.w9vf5plpcmgs.jpg

The babies are the bride's nieces. My cousin Mary decorated a red coaster wagon for the event.
    lxrdot51zpm8.jpg

4cu7mf3u5rxt.jpg

• margaretturk
    edited July 2015
    Options
    6yozhro9uzcq.jpg
    Joyce this is what that cone shaped bush looks like after 30 years without being trimmed. It is in our neighbors yard. The diva hedge in the foreground belongs to us.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ love your pics. Would love to travel and see the old buildings you are showing.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret, that is an arborvitae. They have multiple trunks which can pull apart. That is why a spruce is such a better pick. One trunk.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun,love the pics,thanks for sharing.
    Didn`t get my grandma day,bummed,son had too much homework to catch up on.
    guess we`ll do i another time.
    Hugs jane
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    MN Margaret,love the wedding pics. The babies are so sweet and the rest are beautiful.
    Janetr
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Can someone tell me what kind of plant this is? I've had several in years past but I have never had one with little pink blooms on it. This plant xc96gel40m5e.jpg
    has been covered with them for 2-3 years now. They are washed out in the picture, they are actually a pretty pink.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    purdy wedding pics. i don't know one plant from another, sorry :0/
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Michele in NC, if your slope in in the shade, the following plants are good for clay and are low maintenance: ferns, astilbe, heuchera (coralbelles), and hostas. You cannot kill hostas! If your slope is in the sun, the following plants are low maintenance: sedum (stone crop, a succulent), pennistemon (fountain grass)- I have Hameln, and hemerocallis (day lily). I actually have a lot of day lily, fountain grass, ad sedum on my hell strip which is very sloped. I installed one layer of a 6 by 6 inch railroad tie type retaining wall along the bottom and put in some terraces by using large stones and backfilling a bit just to hold the moisture. But many people don't do the terracing with day lilies and fountain grass. There are whole lists of other plants you can use, but these are the ones that are the lowest maintenance. You can get by without doing much of anything, or you can cut off the flower stalks after they are done blooming and cut off the foliage in late winter. You really cannot kill day lilies either. Be sure to get ones that are advertised as "well behaved" or clumping because some day lilies spread by runners and take over. Here is a picture of my hell strip a few years ago. It changes every year since I am constantly moving plants, adding different types, etc. jrovtb1nfksr.jpg
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Oh, the picture was taken early summer after most of the spring blooms were done but before the summer blooms started. There is usually more color in it. I have some other plants in there that are not tolerant of clay or require more maintenance.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    we're home.. now to do laundry, change the bed sheets, etc... fun fun.

Thanks, Pip, that's me. I have no clue and I'm lucky to keep any plant/flower alive, inside or out. Ugh :(
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Janet R that is a pilea cadierrei commonly called an aluminum plant or a watermelon plant. Bright indirect light, water thoroughly but let dry between waterings. If you want a full bushy plant, it needs to be pinched back (you pinch off the tips to encourage lateral, side, growth.).
  • margaretturk
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Margaret, that is an arborvitae. They have multiple trunks which can pull apart. That is why a spruce is such a better pick. One trunk.

It was the neighbor's choice to plant. We just adapt to it and I often water them since neighbors do not water. It is actually three of them grown together to look like one. I agree they are too big and should go. Maybe some day.

I learned the hard way that if you plant orange day lilies keep them separate from your other lilies if you do not they will eventually crowd out the other lilies. The advantage to the orange lily is nothing kills it just like I agree with Miriam hosta. They have the nickname ditch lilies because you would often find them growing in ditches along the side of the road. I happen to like their bright orange color, but I do have them planted separately from my other lilies. Although deer loves both hosta and lilies. I am finding this year the rabbits are going after some of our hosta, too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Margaret - fabulous babies! Oooooh makes me quite broody. My youngest DGD is now 22 months so I feel I've had my last baby. I do love a good wedding. DH hates them. :laugh:

Heather UK
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    <3 Good afternoon, lovely ladies. I think I have read all the posts since I checked in the other day.

@tonithewriter - Thank you for your posts, Toni and welcome to this forum. I checked on the book you wrote and found it was available on Kobo, which is the ereader I use. I also intend to read the court decision. You will find there are more ladies on this forum that have stories not unlike yours. And yes, there are more writers on this forum. Heather in the UK, for example, is a published author. My daily work is mostly research and writing.

@lhannon062709 - Lisa, losing inches is an awesome feeling. Congratulations! I agree, the scale can be a tyrant. But others find it helpful everyday.

@GodMomKim - Kim, I would love to come over as you cook your way through Skinny Taste.com.

Rori - so nice to see you. Envious of you meeting up with Carol and Michele. SUP looks hard. I admire your efforts.

Welcome to all newbies. Keep coming back. You will receive support and gather some great ideas for your fitness and health journey.

We finally had some rain, although not enough. I do believe the cooler weather has decreased the wildfire risk to a certain extent.

I babysat our 2 year old granddaughter last night. She is becoming quite the little chatterbox. So much fun and her snuggles are the best.

Breakfast today was yoghurt and apple; lunch was grilled zucchini with a little parmesan cheese on top. Planning to make a shrimp curry dish tonight. DH loves it and so do I.

Best to all.
    <3 Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC