Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    Confession: Outside of exercising, if you wear earbuds/headphones in public I want to punch you in the face. This is especially true at restaurants, disconnect yourself and pay attention to your surroundings or *gasp* have a conversation with someone.

*I work on a college campus so my view may be slightly skewed, I've seen a lot of near misses with students just because they're not paying attention.

I tend to wear mine in public when traveling (mostly air travel) or if I went somewhere specifically to study or do grad homework, so that I DON'T pay attention to my surroundings. That said, I don't think I could ever have both earbuds in if I were running on a busy street because I'd be too worried about being run over! :)

Fester's gonna hate me - I wear my headphones pretty well any time I walk anywhere. I try to drive as little as possible, so when I walk places (like my half hour walk to work) I listen to audiobooks because it's so damn boring making the same trek on the same street day after day. At least I get some "reading" in that way.

I can't fathom why that would be irritating to someone though. It's not like listening to something makes me unable to watch where I'm walking, and the only conversation I'm avoiding is with panhandlers and people pushing religious pamphlets...

Me too. I walk and sometimes take public transportation and (gasp) used to study in a coffeeshop with them in. And around here, it seems like the grocery stores always have some organization begging for donations outside.

Confession: It really annoys me that kids around here beg for their extracurricular activity funds. I can't tell you how many cars I washed for yearbook club or how many candy bars I sold for everything else!

Another confession: If you come up to me and say that because I don't have kids I should buy some cookie dough or giftwrap from yours, I ain't doing it.

Yet another confession: That white chocolate macadamia nut is soooooooo good that it's a loss for both of us.

this drives me nuts!
    i sold so many gertrude hawk chocolate bars as a kid!
    we would never have dreamed of just standing there with a can and expecting people to give us money.
    sell me something, a service, a snack, SOMETHING!

I wonder if this is more a Canadian thing. Most of the kids I know raising money, do sell things or hold car washes. Mr. Mo ALWAYS feels obligated to help out, whether we need whatever it is kid is selling. He has a hard time saying no, to anyone, for anything. I'm teaching him slowly but surely, it's okay to not always say yes.

We tend to have lots of sports teams, mostly baseball/softball, that are advancing in the play offs that will stand on the corners asking for help getting them to the next tournament. It is dangerous and I don't know how much money they even raise for that. It would be safer for them to ask businesses to sponsor them and help pay their way.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Confession: Outside of exercising, if you wear earbuds/headphones in public I want to punch you in the face. This is especially true at restaurants, disconnect yourself and pay attention to your surroundings or *gasp* have a conversation with someone.

*I work on a college campus so my view may be slightly skewed, I've seen a lot of near misses with students just because they're not paying attention.

I tend to wear mine in public when traveling (mostly air travel) or if I went somewhere specifically to study or do grad homework, so that I DON'T pay attention to my surroundings. That said, I don't think I could ever have both earbuds in if I were running on a busy street because I'd be too worried about being run over! :)

Fester's gonna hate me - I wear my headphones pretty well any time I walk anywhere. I try to drive as little as possible, so when I walk places (like my half hour walk to work) I listen to audiobooks because it's so damn boring making the same trek on the same street day after day. At least I get some "reading" in that way.

I can't fathom why that would be irritating to someone though. It's not like listening to something makes me unable to watch where I'm walking, and the only conversation I'm avoiding is with panhandlers and people pushing religious pamphlets...

Me too. I walk and sometimes take public transportation and (gasp) used to study in a coffeeshop with them in. And around here, it seems like the grocery stores always have some organization begging for donations outside.

Confession: It really annoys me that kids around here beg for their extracurricular activity funds. I can't tell you how many cars I washed for yearbook club or how many candy bars I sold for everything else!

Another confession: If you come up to me and say that because I don't have kids I should buy some cookie dough or giftwrap from yours, I ain't doing it.

Yet another confession: That white chocolate macadamia nut is soooooooo good that it's a loss for both of us.

this drives me nuts!
    we would never have dreamed of just standing there with a can and expecting people to give us money.

I wonder if this is more a Canadian thing. Most of the kids I know raising money, do sell things or hold car washes. Mr. Mo ALWAYS feels obligated to help out, whether we need whatever it is kid is selling. He has a hard time saying no, to anyone, for anything. I'm teaching him slowly but surely, it's okay to not always say yes.

We tend to have lots of sports teams, mostly baseball/softball, that are advancing in the play offs that will stand on the corners asking for help getting them to the next tournament. It is dangerous and I don't know how much money they even raise for that. It would be safer for them to ask businesses to sponsor them and help pay their way.

I don't have that here. The football teams at schools will usually come around right after school starts and sell "discount cards" for local businesses. This has been the case in my last 3 cities.

Cheerleading team was holding a car wash by Kroger near our house on Saturday.

I've never seen kids just asking for a money handout. I would have to say no. Not only because I think it's ridiculous, I would have rather just given my kids the money myself. Mostly, I wouldn't donate to kids like that because there is no cash on my person or in my house. I just don't operate with cash.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

this drives me nuts!

I don't have that here. The football teams at schools will usually come around right after school starts and sell "discount cards" for local businesses. This has been the case in my last 3 cities.

I've never seen kids just asking for a money handout. I would have to say no. Not only because I think it's ridiculous, I would have rather just given my kids the money myself. Mostly, I wouldn't donate to kids like that because there is no cash on my person or in my house. I just don't operate with cash.

These are usually little league teams. Funny thing is, their parents and coaches are often right out there with them.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

this drives me nuts!

These are usually little league teams. Funny thing is, their parents and coaches are often right out there with them.

I was, maybe, a lazy mommy. I would have asked how much money I would have to donate to be able to have my Saturday to do what I want to do. LOL
    I subscribed to a lot of magazines and ate a lot of candy when my kids were growing up. Ha!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    So, want a quick way to burn calories? Walk around the zoo in 100 degree-humid-as-the-devil's-buttcrack-SC-weather! ;)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

this drives me nuts!

I was, maybe, a lazy mommy. I would have asked how much money I would have to donate to be able to have my Saturday to do what I want to do. LOL
    I subscribed to a lot of magazines and ate a lot of candy when my kids were growing up. Ha!

My family was always that family too - I'd be told I had to sell such and such or whatever and my parents would just pull out the chequebook instead because they just didn't like doing it. I didn't either, so it was a win-win.

I hate getting hit up for money from friends/coworkers/etc, whether that be "buy my kids' chocolate bars!" or "I'm selling PartyLite candles!" or whatever. It's all the same in my eyes and it just makes me annoyed, I'd really rather leave money out of my social relationships.
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I had my second iced coffee of the summer today. It was thick with cream and sugar and it was wonderful.
    No regrets. :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

this drives me nuts!
    Exactly! My friend works in a school and winds up picking up some really good treats from kids' fundraisers.

• CooCooPuff
    Options

this drives me nuts!

When I was in high school, my Dad's boss wanted to sponsor the school's FFA. In exchange, he wanted to see if it was possible to organize a small event with a few of the animals we were showcasing at his new location. Neither of the teachers even tried giving him the time of day. :/

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »

Yep... what happened to the days of bottle drives, bake sales, and car washes? I love it when someone brings in their kid's chocolate bars to peddle... and they usually disappear fast, so I'm not the only one.

I don't ever get the "because you don't have kids" spiel but I'll go along with that argument the day someone throws me a puppy shower :)
    Where is everyone?? ;)

Wondering the same thing myself...

My old co-workers actually DID throw me a puppy shower! It was fantastic. I was SO excited about getting my puppy that I talked about it for MONTHS. My boss made some excuse to pull me into a conference room (I thought I was in trouble and was super nervous), but when we got there, everyone said "Surprise!!!" It was a surprise puppy shower for me. There was cake, dog toys, treats, and a gift card to a pet supply store. It was a little over 11 years ago, but I still remember how happy it made me. One of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me! (The puppy that was the subject of the party is the dog in my profile pic. I :heart: him.)

That's so cool! And your grown up puppy is a handsome fella!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

this drives me nuts!

Asking for handouts ("Would you like to help sponsor X sports group?") is pretty common here, they usually do it either at the entrance or the exit of a local business on a weekend. Most of the time it seems to be on the way out, when I've got bags over my shoulders and in each hand and I'm helpless anyway... not that I carry cash either.

It annoys me that businesses permit it. But it annoys me more when I'm at the cashier making a purchase and I'm asked if I want to make a donation to X (corporate cause of the month) because I'm a captive wallet at that moment in time.

I carry cash so seldom that the other day I bought a few sewing supplies and had to pay $2.28 by debit. I felt a little silly.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

this drives me nuts!

Asking for handouts ("Would you like to help sponsor X sports group?") is pretty common here, they usually do it either at the entrance or the exit of a local business on a weekend. Most of the time it seems to be on the way out, when I've got bags over my shoulders and in each hand and I'm helpless anyway... not that I carry cash either.

It annoys me that businesses permit it. But it annoys me more when I'm at the cashier making a purchase and I'm asked if I want to make a donation to X (corporate cause of the month) because I'm a captive wallet at that moment in time.

I carry cash so seldom that the other day I bought a few sewing supplies and had to pay $2.28 by debit. I felt a little silly.

To the bolded: my husband will do that with his darn credit card because he never carries cash and is obsessed with the points. I laugh at him every single time he buys something under $5 with his Visa, but I don't even think people think it's weird anymore, honestly, as it's getting so common for people just to not have cash.

I have always taken out $20 once a week or so so I have a bit of cash to buy a coffee or whatever and don't have to use my card for everything, but since I got the tap thing enabled on my debit I think it's actually easier just to use that instead of cash, even, so now $20 will last me over a month sometimes.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    @jthurman3, that's so awesome that they gave you a puppy shower!!! <3
  • CooCooPuff
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I carry around some cash because I need to keep myself more accountable for spending on things I don't need.

It's where I lack will power. :p
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I ate two Luna bars because I was cranky and impatient and tired. I feel pretty sick to my stomach. But IFMM, so I don't know why I feel guilty.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    kyrah702 wrote: »
    Ugh I was dreading weighing myself because in the past, I got too stuck on the numbers and it hindered my weight loss and was very discouraging. I stupidly took the advice of other and weighed myself for the first time in well over a year after my swim at the pool and I'm 20lbs heavier than I thought I was. Ugh.

I feel so crappy now and wish I'd never done that. I was going to just use a measuring tape to keep tabs on losses. I wish I had listened to myself rather than others.

Do your clothes fit well? In a way that satisfied you before you got on a scale? If so and you're healthy, don't worry about it. I look 20lbs lighter than I am. I know because everyone guesses low. When I tell people I weigh 157 lbs. they are always surprised.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »

Yep... what happened to the days of bottle drives, bake sales, and car washes? I love it when someone brings in their kid's chocolate bars to peddle... and they usually disappear fast, so I'm not the only one.

I don't ever get the "because you don't have kids" spiel but I'll go along with that argument the day someone throws me a puppy shower :)
    Where is everyone?? ;)

Wondering the same thing myself...

My old co-workers actually DID throw me a puppy shower! It was fantastic. I was SO excited about getting my puppy that I talked about it for MONTHS. My boss made some excuse to pull me into a conference room (I thought I was in trouble and was super nervous), but when we got there, everyone said "Surprise!!!" It was a surprise puppy shower for me. There was cake, dog toys, treats, and a gift card to a pet supply store. It was a little over 11 years ago, but I still remember how happy it made me. One of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me! (The puppy that was the subject of the party is the dog in my profile pic. I :heart: him.)
    That sounds really sweet. :)

Yeah, I dislike the idea that people without children are some how obligated to do more just because of that choice. I understand how difficult it is to be a parent, but if I wanted that burden, I would have kids.

I totally agree that my choice to have 4 kids - whom I do not feel are burdensome - does not obligate you to pay for them. Most fundraisers, I have them sell 1/4 of whatever to feel like they've earned something, and then I pay for the rest. I do buy from other parents, but that is also my choice.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

this drives me nuts!

My family was always that family too - I'd be told I had to sell such and such or whatever and my parents would just pull out the chequebook instead because they just didn't like doing it. I didn't either, so it was a win-win.

I hate getting hit up for money from friends/coworkers/etc, whether that be "buy my kids' chocolate bars!" or "I'm selling PartyLite candles!" or whatever. It's all the same in my eyes and it just makes me annoyed, I'd really rather leave money out of my social relationships.

Girl Scout cookies excepted, I agree with this. Like I said, I have my kids participate to gain the experience in dealing with people, but I donate 75% or more.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    HIYA ALL! This weekend was pretty busy, I worked Saturday and went to accupuncture. Yesterday was stupidly hot so we helped the mancreature's parents with some landscaping (I needed some sun anyway so I wore my bikini top and shorts). We also went to GNC (all the Quest Bars were on sale!!), I got to finally try the chocolate mint one and I love it! I also bought Quest protein powder (Peanut butter), which wasn't available before in Canada. I've got two months until my half marathon and the wedding that I'm a Bridesmaid in, time to tighten things up and get back into the swing of things! Lol

I am thrilled that you posted this! I traveled all over the city last week looking for Quest bars in the flavors I wanted, and still did not get them all!

I never thought of GNC til I saw this post. Not only is it literally up the street from me, the bars are cheaper AND they have a bunch of different flavors......

I love that this thread pointed me in the direction of those bars, I love them! I have tried powders, but do not like milk and juice is so sugary, and have tried other bars, and while I liked them, the carb counts were so high that I only ate them once in a while.

The net carb count for these is so low not only can I eat them often, but I can actually have fruit at breakfast which is exciting for me, as I normally cannot seem to make it work with my blood sugar normally. Except for berries cuz they are so low in sugar. My plan is to have a Quest bar four times a week for breakfast, with just greek yogurt and fruit (FRUIT!!) LOL. I have tried three flavors so far and have loved them all, I can't wait to go tomorrow and see what other kinds they have.

Has anyone tried the Quest protein chips?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Um, this can't be right, nobody's posted in over 45 minutes?!

I know! It is so quiet in here...

I was at work all day but maybe everyone is worn out from the weekend.....the batcave had a good amount of activity too, more than usual.

It could be a combo of such things, and more threads means not everything is getting posted here.