When you SHOULDN'T count calories

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not for me either. Neither is cutting out food groups. I just eat less. I do focus on eating a healthy balanced diet, but otherwise I just don't overeat. I know what foods are high calorie and what aren't. If I think I'm overeating there is a really good chance I am, so I don't do that very often. Works fine for me.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    In case you missed this in the original OP
    ftsolk wrote: »
    So, how do you lose weight without counting calories or cutting out any major food groups?

I don't think processed foods and sugar have their own food group. I still ate meat, some dairy, fats, veggies and fruit and some grains (rice, steel cut oatmeal).

When I ate (mostly) unprocessed foods, I lost weight at the same rate that I am now, when I am counting calories. I think not counting calories can work well, but one must be somewhat educated in what foods are like nutritionally. Logging your food is just a tool to help you eat mindfully. If someone does not realize that eating a large, loaded pizza may not be a good idea for them from a weiht loss stand point, then logging will not be helpful.

In case you missed it:

A plan that says I can indulge in one pint of premium ice cream (Ben and Jerry's, Talenti, etc)*** snip snip***

Avoiding all added sugar and processed foods? That's not going to happen for me.

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Of course, it is not always an exact science. The 3,500 calories= a pound rule is an estimation, and it doesn't take into account the 20% margin of error allowed on nutritional labels here in the USA (as well as personal user error in calculating portion sizes, etc).

Slight correction. 3500 calories == 1 pound of body fat IS an exact science, and it can be replicated time and time again in a calorimeter, with a slight margin of error (We're talking +/- 5%, a statistical blip).

The 20% margin of error on USDA required labeling has nothing to do with that.
    And the 20% error in nutrition -- even if it really existed -- wouldn't always be in the same direction.

Again, that whole argument is like saying speedometers aren't 100% accurate, so they can't be helpful. It's silly. A reasonable basis for decisions is better than pulling something magical out of the air.

Agreed.

And I'd argue that energy expenditure is the more difficult side of the equation to figure out anyway. You can get pretty close with intake, even with the allowed deviation, but if you're grossly overestimating activity, it's all wasted.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LloydGK wrote: »
    'When YOU shouldn't count calories'
    There...fixed that for ya ;)

Have a great one, everybody!

^ this may come off a little harsh but you cant lose weight without counting and analyzing first and seeing how your body responds first...period.

This is 100% false. I know many people who have lost weight without counting calories. You don't have to count anything to lose fat. You just have to consume less than you expend. How do you know when you are without counting? You lose fat.
  • Alluminati
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    If you just want to track what you ate and not have any of the NI or amounts along with it, then get a notebook and a pen and keep track that way.

One thing hasn't changed, you still like to make things more complicated than they need to be, even when trying to simplify things.

Bianca-Del-Rio-RuPauls-Drag-Race-Not-Today-Satan-Gif.gif

c20447790fac4ad9999b16024a368617.jpg
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is increasing the volume of beans and vegetables in my diet. They tend to fill me up and displace more highly caloric foods. I think someone already mentioned salads before meals - this is a strategy that works for me. Soups work the same way as long as they are broth based and loaded with veggies. I often eat a salad and soup for lunch; I make sure at least one has some beans or tofu included.

I also try not to eat unplanned snacks except for fruits and veggies, with a very small portion of protein and/or fat. I can (and do) plan desserts and treats ahead of time, but I try not to decide on the fly (because the answer will always be yes, lol). If I am truly hungry between meals, some veggies and hummus or fruit and almonds will fill that hunger. If I just want cookies, that's not really hunger, then. I eat cookies, I just plan them rather than eating them whenever I want to (which is always)
  • TJR88
    TJR88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to realise that any kind of conscious, planned food restriction triggers massive overeating in me. I'd hoped calorie counting would be the exception but alas, even with a generous calorie allowance I still get what feels like an uncontrollable compulsion to overeat that I give into most days.

I'm currently taking my focus off of losing weight and focusing on building a healthy relationship with food and a positive body image. For the food relationship part I'm trying out intuitive eating, which is essentially about tuning into your body to distinguish between real hunger and emotional/habit driven hunger. There are lots of books on it with tips and strategies to help you figure out when and what to eat and most importantly how much!

The books I've read are Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch and Thinside Out by Josie Spinardi. The former doesn't at all emphasize weight loss but the latter does have lots of tips on how to eat better without counting or tracking anything. Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen is also a good read.

Good luck!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Maybe try using a "paper" (it could be pen and paper or notes on the computer or your phone, whatever floats your boat) log in combination with some of the general guidelines mentioned earlier - protein serving = deck of card or palm of hand, use of the same size dishes (serving size = one green bowl) of a particular food. You can go into as much detail as you want and list known easy to count calories (one soda = 120 cal) You can still determine trends especially if you have notes about mood, how you felt after eating a food or too much and reduce your calories based on trends. So an example day might be:

1 Thomas 100% whole wheat English muffin -120 cal
    peanut butter
    handful blueberries
    one glass 2% milk

2 slices bread
    2 slice provolone cheese - 160cal
    two servings (2x what I usually eat) turkey breast
    mustard
    lettuce
    tomato
    15 baby carrots

one "medium" (in my head medium) Granny smith apple
    15 almonds

burger
    Pepperidge farms hamburger bun -140 cal
    cheese
    lettuce - one leaf
    tomato
    little bowl cole slaw

4 chocolate chip cookies

If I eat every day like this, I would realize I probably only actually want 2 cookies if at all, half the cheese at lunch. that's lets call it 200 calories for the cookies, 80 cal for lunch cheese, so that's like half a pound deficit a week with no real calorie counting or stressing about going over your "allotted" calories. For better nutrition, it looks like I could use more veggies and fruit

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ever hear the expression that you only have to count the caloreis that come in a box? Maybe that would work for you.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So, how do you lose weight without counting calories or cutting out any major food groups?

I don't think processed foods and sugar have their own food group. I still ate meat, some dairy, fats, veggies and fruit and some grains (rice, steel cut oatmeal).

When I ate (mostly) unprocessed foods, I lost weight at the same rate that I am now, when I am counting calories. I think not counting calories can work well, but one must be somewhat educated in what foods are like nutritionally. Logging your food is just a tool to help you eat mindfully. If someone does not realize that eating a large, loaded pizza may not be a good idea for them from a weiht loss stand point, then logging will not be helpful.

In case you missed it:

A plan that says I can indulge in one pint of premium ice cream (Ben and Jerry's, Talenti, etc)*** snip snip***

Avoiding all added sugar and processed foods? That's not going to happen for me.
    I believe you missed the fact that my previous reply that you quoted was written a few hours before the comment about including a pint of Ben and Jerry's in their diet. I was just offering up information on what worked for me. The OP is free to not take my advice or even consider it. What works for me may not work for others, nor might they want to try it. That is fine by me.

I'm not sure what issue you took with me telling the OP what worked for me...
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options

In case you missed it:

I believe you missed the fact that my previous reply that you quoted was written a few hours before the comment about including a pint of Ben and Jerry's in their diet. I was just offering up information on what worked for me. The OP is free to not take my advice or even consider it. What works for me may not work for others, nor might they want to try it. That is fine by me.

Note that I said a pint a month. Coming from someone who ate multiple pints a week, I think a pint over the course of a month is reasonable. That definitely would not take away from a diet that primarily focuses on whole, unprocessed foods.

I read a book recently: "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink. One rule he suggests people adopt is the 1/2 plate rule: you can eat whatever you want, but half your plate must be filled with fruits or vegetables. Even if I only adopt this when eating at home or work, that still accounts for roughly 16 to 18 of the 21 meals I eat a week, and I may be able to adopt it in many social eating situations as well.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

In case you missed it:

Note that I said a pint a month. Coming from someone who ate multiple pints a week, I think a pint over the course of a month is reasonable. That definitely would not take away from a diet that primarily focuses on whole, unprocessed foods.

I read a book recently: "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink. One rule he suggests people adopt is the 1/2 plate rule: you can eat whatever you want, but half your plate must be filled with fruits or vegetables. Even if I only adopt this when eating at home or work, that still accounts for roughly 16 to 18 of the 21 meals I eat a week, and I may be able to adopt it in many social eating situations as well.

LOL That is a good improvement. ;)

Good luck with your plan. I hope it works really well for you. :)
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options

^ this may come off a little harsh but you cant lose weight without counting and analyzing first and seeing how your body responds first...period.

This is 100% false. I know many people who have lost weight without counting calories. You don't have to count anything to lose fat. You just have to consume less than you expend. How do you know when you are without counting? You lose fat.

Had a response to this, I suggest you read it. "Just consume less" means you lose fat but also more likely than not muscle as well if you are not counting. So yes a lose weight without counting, yes my bad but is it the best thing to do to just lose weight without realizing what's actually happening to you body...not so much. But hey do you
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Had a response to this, I suggest you read it. "Just consume less" means you lose fat but also more likely than not muscle as well if you are not counting. So yes a lose weight without counting, yes my bad but is it the best thing to do to just lose weight without realizing what's actually happening to you body...not so much. But hey do you

How does counting calories prevent muscle loss?

I could have sworn adequate protein and resistance training did that.
  • Alluminati
    Options

In case you missed it:

Lol. Wow.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

In case you missed it:

Yah.... You keep quoting from a post that came up after mine. Not sure why. Are you trying to point out that the OP will not follow the same diet that I did 5 years ago? I'm okay with that.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Oops. Missed your edit.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

How does counting calories prevent muscle loss?

I could have sworn adequate protein and resistance training did that.

I was about to say this.

Counting doesn't ensure only fat loss. Nothing does (or can). You're always going to lose more than fat.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I dont count calories when I eat veggies.... and I dont count calories when its that time of month LOL
    It has been working for me