Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »

Groceries are either from a local market here or Food Basics. Our grocery budget is currently massive since the both of us eat a lot and eat a protein rich diet, we're trying to find some ways to cut that cost down as well. Adulting is hard guys! Lol

Yup, our grocery budget is also massive. I budget around 3000 Saudi riyals per month for just two of us for food, drink, and hygiene/cleaning products (That's about 800 dollars, you guys!). We eat tons of beef, chicken breast, deli meats, cereal, diet soda, and dairy products, all of which aren't exactly cheap around here. And that amount of money is even with buying local as often as I can.

Holy cow, that's a lot of cheddar! I'm not sure how much we spend on groceries because we don't budget anything which kind of annoys me, but Mr. Mo won't stick to a budget so putting one in place is a waste of time.

I actually use a budgeting software called "You Need A Budget" or YNAB, and we budget every little penny we use with it. I absolutely love it. It only takes a few minutes at the end of every month to tally everything up and compare the balance in the software to the one in the bank account and account for discrepancies, etc. It would be pretty hard to keep up with it if my husband wasn't on board though, so I can see how that would be a waste of time.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

I hate shopping for clothes, HATE. I seriously have a few items from high school and undergrad (I'm 33) still I still wear because I don't want to go shopping. I tried Stichfix for a while - you tell them your size and what you like and they send you things - and it was OK for a while, but I felt like they really wanted to dress me like my undergrads and didn't listen to what I said I wanted. I need to cave and do a serious shopping adventure but I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Food - I confess that I'm a total snob. I shop farmers' markets and our local co-op for produce/carbs and I buy all my meat directly from farmers that have good animal-happiness practices. Our mortgage is the only thing that is a bigger part of our budget than food, but I really love my food.

What now?! How do I get in on this?!

If I lived closer, I'd take you shopping. I've been told several times, that I should be a personal shopper and I would LOVE to help you out.

We like to buy most of our meat from a local butcher that offers only locally raised animals. I know the guy personally and he's a good dude, so we don't mind paying for quality meats. I'd LOVE to shop the farmer's markets but they're only open Saturday morning and we usually have other things going on. Maybe we'll make it this Saturday.

https://www.stitchfix.com/ - but if you like shopping, you are probably better off doing that since you live in a city. I don't have access to many stores, and am style-challenged which is why I thought it would be awesome. I did get a few nice things from them, but frustration at being sent another pair of leggings when I specifically said I don't wear leggings killed it for me (I'm not the most patient person).

I would LOVE a personal shopper!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    @Susieq_1994 I'm glad you're back, but I'm sorry you're feeling icky. Cramps are the worst and having back pain on top sounds pretty awful. Feel better soon.

Thanks. :) Yup, it's the worst. Ugh. Hopefully it'll be gone in a couple of days, along with the cramps and periodyness--then I'll be feeling blessedly normal again.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Also, I do my grocery shopping at like 5-6 am on Saturdays. I normally get up at 4-430 during the week so it's sleeping in a little. I found that I can avoid the weeknight or weekend day crowds that way. Only a couple of times, they hadn't yet stocked what I'd like to buy. For weekends like this one, where we are going to be out of town, and I can't do my usual grocery store run, it stresses me.

I've occasionally done this as well. Tamimi is a 24 hour grocery store, so on days we expect it to be crowded my husband and I have been known to go in around 3 AM or so. The only problem is that the deli counter and the butcher are both closed until later in the morning, and the bakery delivery truck doesn't show up until 6 or 7 AM so there's no fresh bread on the shelves. No turkey, no beef, and no bread for me. Sigh.

It's true that the deli & meat departments are closed but I guess I don't get anything from those anyway. The meat department in this grocery store is not the best, neither is the produce but like @peleroja said, I usually go through any produce I buy rather quickly so it doesn't spoil. I forgot about Costco. I buy a lot of my meat from there or a local butcher. I buy a lot of everything from Costco. I kind of love Costco

I don't like buying produce from Tamimi for the same reason--it's usually not too good or fresh, other than the herbs. I buy my herbs there, then I buy my produce from Carrefour and a local grocery store called Hyper Panda, which both get their produce from local farms and it's DELICIOUS.

Speaking of produce, new confession: I'm mildly allergic to tomatoes, and the riper and more delicious they are, the worse my reaction is. But I REALLY love fresh, ripe summer tomatoes--and we just bought a big bag of them from Carrefour. So the other day, I ate about half a kilo (one pound) of them in the space of less than 24 hours, and had a burning red rash around my mouth and inside it for the next day or two, which then proceeded to become a crusty, dried up shell of skin around my mouth. Worth it. <3

I would be so sad if I was allergic to tomatoes :(

Both my sister and I have the allergy and we both continue to eat them like crazy people. They're my most favoritest vegetable in the whole, wide world. <3 (Yes, I know they're a fruit. No, I don't care to acknowledge that. ;))
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Also, I do my grocery shopping at like 5-6 am on Saturdays. I normally get up at 4-430 during the week so it's sleeping in a little. I found that I can avoid the weeknight or weekend day crowds that way. Only a couple of times, they hadn't yet stocked what I'd like to buy. For weekends like this one, where we are going to be out of town, and I can't do my usual grocery store run, it stresses me.

I've occasionally done this as well. Tamimi is a 24 hour grocery store, so on days we expect it to be crowded my husband and I have been known to go in around 3 AM or so. The only problem is that the deli counter and the butcher are both closed until later in the morning, and the bakery delivery truck doesn't show up until 6 or 7 AM so there's no fresh bread on the shelves. No turkey, no beef, and no bread for me. Sigh.

It's true that the deli & meat departments are closed but I guess I don't get anything from those anyway. The meat department in this grocery store is not the best, neither is the produce but like @peleroja said, I usually go through any produce I buy rather quickly so it doesn't spoil. I forgot about Costco. I buy a lot of my meat from there or a local butcher. I buy a lot of everything from Costco. I kind of love Costco

I don't like buying produce from Tamimi for the same reason--it's usually not too good or fresh, other than the herbs. I buy my herbs there, then I buy my produce from Carrefour and a local grocery store called Hyper Panda, which both get their produce from local farms and it's DELICIOUS.

Speaking of produce, new confession: I'm mildly allergic to tomatoes, and the riper and more delicious they are, the worse my reaction is. But I REALLY love fresh, ripe summer tomatoes--and we just bought a big bag of them from Carrefour. So the other day, I ate about half a kilo (one pound) of them in the space of less than 24 hours, and had a burning red rash around my mouth and inside it for the next day or two, which then proceeded to become a crusty, dried up shell of skin around my mouth. Worth it. <3

I would be so sad if I was allergic to tomatoes :(

Both my sister and I have the allergy and we both continue to eat them like crazy people. They're my most favoritest vegetable in the whole, wide world. <3 (Yes, I know they're a fruit. No, I don't care to acknowledge that. ;))

They will never be considered a fruit in my little world either!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

I have a similar reaction to tomato-based things like sauces but it's confined to the skin around my mouth, not inside... of course, I'd rather have it IN my mouth where no one would see.

And that's a lot of tomatoes, wow! Hope your pain goes away soon...
    ythannah wrote: »

I love it too... and my question is, what the heck kind of bra do you wear with it?

When I wore this Saturday, I wore a beige strapless bra with it and I was fine. You could also wear one of those bandeau things that are super popular right now.

Strapless bras and bandeaus tend to slide down on me... and drag my poor boobs along for the ride as they go... not a good look.

Anybody ever try out those backless strapless stick-on bras? I seem to have a lot of tricky garments in my wardrobe that would be best with one of those but I'm wary of shelling out the $$ for one if it doesn't work.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I have a similar reaction to tomato-based things like sauces but it's confined to the skin around my mouth, not inside... of course, I'd rather have it IN my mouth where no one would see.

I love it too... and my question is, what the heck kind of bra do you wear with it?

When I wore this Saturday, I wore a beige strapless bra with it and I was fine. You could also wear one of those bandeau things that are super popular right now.

Strapless bras and bandeaus tend to slide down on me... and drag my poor boobs along for the ride as they go... not a good look.

Anybody ever try out those backless strapless stick-on bras? I seem to have a lot of tricky garments in my wardrobe that would be best with one of those but I'm wary of shelling out the $$ for one if it doesn't work.

They do work - I have one that kind of works, even, and I've got a very big chest. They're not great for lift or support, obviously, but they do shape and cover.

Have you tried a longline strapless? I have one from Freya that's got just a couple inches of "band" under the cup and it stays up like nobody's business with that extra fabric. Plus it looks cute, even.

And @Susieq_1994, I looooove tomatoes too, but fortunately I'm not allergic. I'll eat the good ones from the farmer's market like an apple in the summer.

And you can add me to the "spends a lot on groceries" club too. But we like what we like, we have the budget for it, and neither of us wants to economize any more than shopping at the cheap grocery store because we really value our diets the way they are. I never really feel guilty about spending a lot on groceries for that reason. I go once a week and spend usually no less than $100 and often $200 every time, but oh well.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

You can ask me or quiksylver! (Or Lois - I think that's what she is doing too). Have you looked at the app yet?

Very briefly. I watched the video for workout A but haven't gotten around to watching workout B yet. I am planning on starting next week, so I will watch B sometime this weekend or something. My plan is to supplement my HIIT with the SL 5x5 so I will do it on Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Saturday. I don't know yet, because I haven't checked out the program yet.

Any help you ladies could offer, would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Yay for taking the plunge! I really wish you lived here and I would totally work out with you.

If you've been doing circuits already I bet you'll be able to start with the starting weights, but if you need to do dumbells at lower weights, do it. At first I think integrating SL with your HIIT will be fine, but you might see a point where you really need the rest day and you might not want to be doing HIIT MWF and SL TTS. For instance, I thought I would go on a run this morning, my buns disagreed after my lifts yesterday, and I want to make sure I do well tomorrow, so today will just be walking. I'm trying to be super aggressive with upping weight though, which is not necessary it's just my goal right now.

Don't get frustrated if you stay at a weight for a long time (trying to give advice that I should take myself). Having good form is more important.

I wish we all lived in a big sorority house and we could share food, and clothes (unless you're against that sort of thing) and, work out together. But we don't so I will just have to be a big girl and get over my fears.

I think I'll try doing the SL 2 days a week, then, if I feel like it, I can add another day. If not, then I'll scale back on my HIIT and try to keep up the lifting especially since Mr. Mo said he might join me. When I heard him say that last night, I wanted to full on make out with him because I've wanted him to work out with me for over a year and he wasn't having any of it.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice! I love you guys!

BEST idea ever!!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

I wish I could. I don't have a huge chest by any means but these aren't supportive and I'd really like to try as hard as I can to prevent what I do have from sagging to my toes :s
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

Nice work @orangesmartie !! I think I'll give the SL 5x5 program a whirl. My husband already has the app on his phone and seemed excited about doing it with me. I have knees that are a little sensitive, so I'm REALLY hoping the squats go ok. Thanks @Lois_1989 @WestCoastJo82 @nonoelmo @ythannah and all the other women lifters here who have inspired me to give this a shot!

Yeah! Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly you think they are! I had to look up hand grips once because my wrists were hurting. Good luck!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

I have the same problem with my face. I get super flushed whenever I work out. At physical therapy I am always so embarrassed because I turn bright red and sweat as I'm working out. I've always been like that too.

Me too. People used to stop me and ask me if I was ok. And I sweat like CRAZY. Seriously gross.

Me too! I regularly leave sweaty butt/body prints on equipment, much to my gym partner's dismay :blush:
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

I have the same problem with my face. I get super flushed whenever I work out. At physical therapy I am always so embarrassed because I turn bright red and sweat as I'm working out. I've always been like that too.

Me too. People used to stop me and ask me if I was ok. And I sweat like CRAZY. Seriously gross.

I'm in that club too! Bright red face, sweating like crazy. So GROSS!

My face gets red for everything! Hot, embarrassed, stressed, you name it. I had a guy once tell me I should get my blood pressure checked. It made me even more embarrassed.

Ugh, I understand. I blush so easily too. It's embarrassing so then I flush even more :angry:
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    @Italian_Buju on the cookies, it probably would be a little easier to use Pilsbury but I've never bought store bought cookie dough in my life, honestly, and it only takes a minute to mix anyway. Plus I don't think it'd ever stay good in the fridge long enough to use an entire package as I only have a cookie once a month or so, probably.

@FluffySandwich, you should check out the conservation efforts for rhinos going on at game parks in both eastern and southern Africa, it is astounding and really gives me hope. There are wardens who are literally rhino bodyguards who even stay with them all night, every night, to keep them safe from poachers. It's really incredible and the men who do it are just the best examples of humanity doing things right for the Earth. White rhinos might not be saved, I know, but there are others and there are a lot of people out there doing everything they can for them.

This! I went for a 8 mile run and a cute old man told me to stop and have some water... I was like thanks but I'm fine.... I kinda get jealous of anyone who looks like a goddess after working out, I'm a giant ball of sweaty, red grossness lol

Uh-huh, same here. The guys I mountain biked with a few years ago used to tease me about how red/purple my face would get lol. I don't let it bother me now, although I do try to avoid going out in public places (other than the gym) until the colour is gone.

I have noticed that I get kind of pale while I'm lifting. I'm assuming because the blood is going other places.

Same. My mum thought I looked ill the first couple of times my face was so white.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I clothing shop at Target or Kohl's usually, sometimes Maurices but they are a little more expensive. Grocery shopping is a local chain because they are the cheapest and have the best selection.

I just bought this top at Maurice's and I LOVE IT!!! This is the front and back view. I love how modest, yet sexy it is.
    yczps1s4q7ry.jpg
    5kmcq3y4bxs0.jpg

Ooh I love the colour! Very nice!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options

Yes, I regularly leave sweaty butt/body prints on equipment, much to my gym partner's dismay :blush:

Preach girl, I do too- people look at me like I'm crazy when they see it (I do wipe down my machines) and I just want to be like okay- let's not pretend your butt and nether regions don't sweat like crazy either!!
  • ShibaEars
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Yes, I regularly leave sweaty butt/body prints on equipment, much to my gym partner's dismay :blush:

Preach girl, I do too- people look at me like I'm crazy when they see it (I do wipe down my machines) and I just want to be like okay- let's not pretend your butt and nether regions don't sweat like crazy either!!

If I'm sitting on a bench I do a sneaky slide type movement to try to get rid of it lol. (at least I think it's sneaky). Otherwise I don't let it bother me anymore. I'm working hard & can't control where I sweat from and I wipe equipment down after, so who cares?

I sweat from everywhere, which is gross and annoying, but my gym partner seems to mostly sweat through her hands and feet. I always tease her for it, because she'll leave perfect handprints everywhere. It's weird.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

You can ask me or quiksylver! (Or Lois - I think that's what she is doing too). Have you looked at the app yet?

Very briefly. I watched the video for workout A but haven't gotten around to watching workout B yet. I am planning on starting next week, so I will watch B sometime this weekend or something. My plan is to supplement my HIIT with the SL 5x5 so I will do it on Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Saturday. I don't know yet, because I haven't checked out the program yet.

Any help you ladies could offer, would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Yay for taking the plunge! I really wish you lived here and I would totally work out with you.

If you've been doing circuits already I bet you'll be able to start with the starting weights, but if you need to do dumbells at lower weights, do it. At first I think integrating SL with your HIIT will be fine, but you might see a point where you really need the rest day and you might not want to be doing HIIT MWF and SL TTS. For instance, I thought I would go on a run this morning, my buns disagreed after my lifts yesterday, and I want to make sure I do well tomorrow, so today will just be walking. I'm trying to be super aggressive with upping weight though, which is not necessary it's just my goal right now.

Don't get frustrated if you stay at a weight for a long time (trying to give advice that I should take myself). Having good form is more important.

I wish we all lived in a big sorority house and we could share food, and clothes (unless you're against that sort of thing) and, work out together. But we don't so I will just have to be a big girl and get over my fears.

I think I'll try doing the SL 2 days a week, then, if I feel like it, I can add another day. If not, then I'll scale back on my HIIT and try to keep up the lifting especially since Mr. Mo said he might join me. When I heard him say that last night, I wanted to full on make out with him because I've wanted him to work out with me for over a year and he wasn't having any of it.

Thanks again for all the encouragement and advice! I love you guys!

Awww that's great! It's always good to have someone there for support. I need my SO when I go running otherwise I wouldn't run for as long as I do.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Me too. Not much I can do about it so I don't let it bother me... I just wipe it down and move on.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options

I have the sliding issue with the bandeaus I have, but the bra stayed put. It is one I bought for my brother's wedding 5 years ago that has the non-slide gel-like stuff that some of the no slip headbands have.

What are the backless stick-on bras? Don't think I've seen one before.

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

I'm totally a member of the sweaty-red-faced-butt-print club! I feel the need to take a picture after my next work-out and post it in the Batcave now :)