Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I forgot to share my latest NSV with you.

I went to a baby shower Saturday, and there was homemade cupcakes, veggies and dip, nuts, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, watermelon, pistachio salad, and candy. I filled 2 small plates with veggies and little bit of dip, 1 pretzel, watermelon, mixed nuts, (just a few) 4 buttermints, (which I shared with Mr. Mo) and a small scoop of pistachio salad. I totally skipped the cupcakes!!! I didn't even feel like I was missing out because everyone that ate one, had blue lips and tongue.

Nice! What is pistachio salad? Sounds yummy.

Instant pistachio pudding mix is combined with whipped topping, miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, and nuts. This particular salad had a few too many marshmallows for me. I'm sure everyone makes theirs different, but this one was pretty good and not super heavy.

I thought we were the only people who made that! My mom makes it every Christmas. She calls it "snow salad". LOL

Marshmallows, pudding and whipped cream - yep, salad.

Yea my sister makes that too. I love it. She also makes one with cherry pie filling (it may be the picture below) and that is super tasty too!

My grandma made it at Thanksgiving. She called it Watergate Salad.

Speaking of cherry pie filling - has anyone tried the dessert where you substitute all the liquid ingredients in chocolate cake with a can of cherry pie filling? This is relevant to my interests.

If this is a thing, I need it in my life mouth PDQ.

You can mix most cake mixes with pumpkin (or pureed beans if you're into protein - black beans are actually kind of awesome in brownies because the texture is very dense and fudgey), so I would imagine something pectin-y like cherry pie filling would probably work fine too (heck, there's an old Weight Watchers "recipe" where you mix diet pop with cake mix and it still works.)

I'm not a big cherry fan (I do like fresh ones, but not so much in stuff usually) so I haven't tried it, but I've definitely done some lazy baking with pumpkin and bean and it's totally edible.

Just stop with the so-easy-even-Ythannah-will-make-it dessert ideas... now I want Pistachio Salad and Cherry Fluff Dessert Salad and pumpkin/black bean mix cake. Stop. Now.

:s

If you can manage to keep it to a reasonable portion, the black bean brownies etc are actually pretty doable and have passable macros for most people, if you care - I used to make them on 1200/day all the time and eat them for breakfast, haha. Depends on the mix you buy, obviously, but still.

Mix the pumpkin one with spice cake or similar.

I am normally a pretty big baking snob with everything from scratch and best-quality and all that nonsense, but it goes out the window if I just want to eat something sweet and not share it with anyone. I'm also the queen of making myself one single cookie. Just one. In the toaster oven.

Are you throwing pureed black beans into a chocolate cake mix or a brownie mix? And what kind of quantity?

I don't actually have "macros" as such, I just try to hit 90 grams of protein a day. The rest is dictated more by IBS than anything else. Says the woman currently eating leftover Duncan Hines frosting out of the tub... with an ice cream bar stick.

Maybe I should save some for my healthy, protein-packed brownies?

Just reading this gave me goosebumps! I CANNOT stand touching any kind of unfinished wood....I sadly cannot enjoy any kind of Popsicle or ice cream on a stick :/

Ohh, sorry it affected you so strongly!

I can't stand the taste of them. I wish they didn't come at the end of the bar, that kind of spoils it. Probably why I mostly stick to drumstick-type cones. But this was a PC Blue Menu kefir bar... love kefir.

The other taste that bothers me is the metallic taste from metal water bottles. I prefer plastic, even if it leeches all kinds of evil chemicals into my water.

Glass water bottles for me. I LOVE glass ones.

I'd do glass ones other than the fact that I'm usually bringing a water bottle outdoors when I do yard work, most of which takes place in the area where the dogs are, and I'm absolutely terrified of breakage.

I even have one of the fancy infuser type glass bottles (it was a gift)... never been used.

Oh, and my go-to plastic bottle is a big 32 oz one so I waste less time running indoors for refills. I don't think they make glass bottles that size.

Yea I'm not sure if they make them in 32 oz either. That would be awesome though.

I sadly have had one break at work (and it is one that I can't buy anymore so that was the worst part-it was my favorite design but they don't make them anymore :( ). My new one has a protective sleeve over it so it is a little more protected. So far so good.

But I do think the water tastes a lot better from the glass water bottle so it works best for me. I'm a person who used to never really drink water so it took a while to get into the habit. I think this helped me a lot for some reason.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    SUSIE! Welcome back! I'll give the picture posting a shot. Thanks!

Your efforts to make the thread a safe place for me are a major reason for why I came back--couldn't let all of it go to waste, after all, could I? :)

You are darn right. You were missed.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the cheers.

These are the two sets I got:

Satisfies my jewellery needs while being practical.

Wow, I love those designs. I just have different colors and then a flag one for 4th of July. I may have to look into these other sets. Very nice!

Good job on the weight loss. :)

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    quoted instead of edited. *face palm*

We've all done that AT LEAST once(or five times...).

At least you didn't fall off the treadmill?

Sorry @pofoster21 I had to poke a little fun. Hopefully the fall was mostly injury free.

OH and Sgt. Sexy Pants was in a motorcycle accident on the way to work today! :scream:

He ran his bike into a guard rail. He's dirty but okay. :lol:
    The motorcycle however.....uhm... Well let's just say he can't afford to take me on ANY dates for a while. :lol:

And OF COURSE he wouldn't tell me about it until the night's shift is almost over :grumble:

I am glad St. Sexy Pants is okay. He is blessed.

Two of my brothers wrecked the same motorcycle last summer and though the bike was fine the first time, the brother who bounced 200 Ft down the guard rail was in my trauma center for 8 days with four ribs remaining intact and a punctured lung. That was Memorial Day. On Independence Day, my oldest brother borrowed the bike because his was in the shop. A deer jumped the guardrail and the bike the deer and my brother skidded 200 yards down the interstate. Dead deer. Bike in pieces. Brother in my trauma center on a vent with collapsed lung, three broken ribs but only a crack in his pelvis because he lifts and his muscles held everything in place. (that's really why I lift now, it saved his life) I told bother #3 that if he got on his motorcycle on Labor Day weekend, I would break his ribs myself.

@MelissaPhippsFeagins

Wow! So sorry to hear about the accidents, but I am glad your brothers are doing better! Do you think brother number #3 will listen?

Right now he has to because of a work-related injury. Long term, no. He will be back on the bike as soon as the doc says he can ride. The other two are riding again, why wouldn't he. I know this is a no judgment zone, but my brothers are all capital S Stupid about motorcycles.

• FroggyBug
    Options
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.

I wanted to say Hi as well. :) Good to see you around.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Marshalls. Period. Unless I randomly end up somewhere else or are looking for something specific. Target and Shoprite for every thing else.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Also, I do my grocery shopping at like 5-6 am on Saturdays. I normally get up at 4-430 during the week so it's sleeping in a little. I found that I can avoid the weeknight or weekend day crowds that way. Only a couple of times, they hadn't yet stocked what I'd like to buy. For weekends like this one, where we are going to be out of town, and I can't do my usual grocery store run, it stresses me.

I've occasionally done this as well. Tamimi is a 24 hour grocery store, so on days we expect it to be crowded my husband and I have been known to go in around 3 AM or so. The only problem is that the deli counter and the butcher are both closed until later in the morning, and the bakery delivery truck doesn't show up until 6 or 7 AM so there's no fresh bread on the shelves. No turkey, no beef, and no bread for me. Sigh.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Update : At The Lion King! I admit I am way more excited than my family. Sigh. I think they will be happy once we have seen it. For $179 a piece I am a bit disappointed in these seats.

The show was amazing. I loved it. My niece and nephew enjoyed it I think. Tip admit to being a bit disappointed in their overall reaction to both being in the city and the show. I would have been overjoyed at their age. They were kind of like...whatever.

I can't quite recall, but didn't you say they are teenagers? Teenagers these days do not get overjoyed about much, it is not cool, you know....

10 and 14. This is clearly a byproduct of having too much in their lives. I want to smack them (mostly my nephew),
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

I have the same problem with my face. I get super flushed whenever I work out. At physical therapy I am always so embarrassed because I turn bright red and sweat as I'm working out. I've always been like that too.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.

It's good to hear from you. You've been missed :)

Thank you. :) I wasn't too sure if many people noticed that I wasn't around--I know a few did, because they PMed me.

Even if some of us don't mention it, it's definitely noticeable when you're not around :(

Yep :) I assumed you were avoiding the storm though...and I don't blame you, as I was pretty seriously considering bailing at that point too...but no worries, glad to see you back!

Me too. Only sadness at losing my friends in here kept me around. But we are going to stick to our original intent and keep it non-political, non-argumentative and clean in terms of language from now on. ;)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

I have the same problem with my face. I get super flushed whenever I work out. At physical therapy I am always so embarrassed because I turn bright red and sweat as I'm working out. I've always been like that too.

Me too. People used to stop me and ask me if I was ok. And I sweat like CRAZY. Seriously gross.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rm46m4j9przn.jpg
    For those who hate plastic but need a shatterproof water bottle, this is mine. I put ice in it at 7am and it lasts all day. It's dog and kid and small dumbbell proof, I suspect more than 15lbs would dent it.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »

Groceries are either from a local market here or Food Basics. Our grocery budget is currently massive since the both of us eat a lot and eat a protein rich diet, we're trying to find some ways to cut that cost down as well. Adulting is hard guys! Lol

Yup, our grocery budget is also massive. I budget around 3000 Saudi riyals per month for just two of us for food, drink, and hygiene/cleaning products (That's about 800 dollars, you guys!). We eat tons of beef, chicken breast, deli meats, cereal, diet soda, and dairy products, all of which aren't exactly cheap around here. And that amount of money is even with buying local as often as I can.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

Your efforts to make the thread a safe place for me are a major reason for why I came back--couldn't let all of it go to waste, after all, could I? :)

Thank you. :smiley:

Confession: I'm bloaty and crampy and periody today, and after sitting and crying over nothing while my husband hovered in confusion, I told him that I was hormonal and he would just have to put up with me.

I also pulled something in my back by doing something idiotic, and it hurts something awful. Moving is agony. With back pain on one side and cramps on the other, I'm in the worst pain ever. For this reason, I feel entitled to my moody snifflyness.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    I committed to baking a PannuKakku (Finnish dessert like a custardy French toast served with jam) for daycare's cultural potluck on Friday. I love it. I will have to resist the urge to faceplant in it. I love desserts that aren't super sweet (I will almost always pick a lime/citrus/nut something or other over caramel bc I'm weird like that) but I don't usually eat desserts (which is weird for a baker, I know). I eat like 1/2 a Hershey's mini and I'm good lol. I'll actually eat 2 tbsp. of homemade nut butter (I make mine without sugar) before a brownie.

Are you Finnish?

I ask because the SO is and Finn pancakes are often a supper meal at our home. He's never mentioned or produced that dessert, however... surprising, considering his sweet tooth.

He's a total Finn food snob, lol. He sneers at the fundraiser Pulla I occasionally buy, saying it's nowhere as good as his mum's.

DH is lol... He's from the UP of Michigan (which has the highest concentration of Finns outside of Finland). My Pulla is decent but nothing compared to his grandmother's. He misses her food a ton (she's been dead about 5? years). I can make some stuff and I wish I knew the language but other than a few sentences, I don't.

I'm Irish (one side grandparents off the boat, the other side, one was off the boat) and a trace Serbian. I make a mean soda bread ;)

I love soda bread!! I wish I knew how to make it.

<<<<<< This Italian makes a pretty killer Irish Soda Bread

Is it hard to make?
    Now I really want some since I've heard about it in this thread a few times.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Me too. People used to stop me and ask me if I was ok. And I sweat like CRAZY. Seriously gross.

I'm in that club too! Bright red face, sweating like crazy. So GROSS!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Also, I do my grocery shopping at like 5-6 am on Saturdays. I normally get up at 4-430 during the week so it's sleeping in a little. I found that I can avoid the weeknight or weekend day crowds that way. Only a couple of times, they hadn't yet stocked what I'd like to buy. For weekends like this one, where we are going to be out of town, and I can't do my usual grocery store run, it stresses me.

I've occasionally done this as well. Tamimi is a 24 hour grocery store, so on days we expect it to be crowded my husband and I have been known to go in around 3 AM or so. The only problem is that the deli counter and the butcher are both closed until later in the morning, and the bakery delivery truck doesn't show up until 6 or 7 AM so there's no fresh bread on the shelves. No turkey, no beef, and no bread for me. Sigh.

It's true that the deli & meat departments are closed but I guess I don't get anything from those anyway. The meat department in this grocery store is not the best, neither is the produce but like @peleroja said, I usually go through any produce I buy rather quickly so it doesn't spoil. I forgot about Costco. I buy a lot of my meat from there or a local butcher. I buy a lot of everything from Costco. I kind of love Costco
  • Oberon21
    Options

Confession: I'm bloaty and crampy and periody today, and after sitting and crying over nothing while my husband hovered in confusion, I told him that I was hormonal and he would just have to put up with me.

I also pulled something in my back by doing something idiotic, and it hurts something awful. Moving is agony. With back pain on one side and cramps on the other, I'm in the worst pain ever. For this reason, I feel entitled to my moody snifflyness.

Seems logical to me!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    For those who hate plastic but need a shatterproof water bottle, this is mine. I put ice in it at 7am and it lasts all day. It's dog and kid and small dumbbell proof, I suspect more than 15lbs would dent it.

You have the same phone on your desk that I do. :smiley:
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options

Completely entitled & then some! :)