Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

The DOMS die down after a couple of weeks. Just keep going at it, make sure you drink plenty of water and try to fit in a protein shake. I found a low cal on in Holland & Barrett

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/precision-engineered-whey-protein-powder-cookies-cream-60035607

87Kcal a serving and the cookies and cream one tastes AMAZING as long as you don't use warm water. Then it's not so good.

and Edit because YAY! Go you for doing weights! I'm so proud of you! <3

do protein shakes help? Do you mix the powder with water? or milk?

Uh that's the big debate. I kinda feel like it does, but now I'm on low-carb I can't hit the protein macro without it, I just can't eat that much, it's easier to chug a protein shake. I started having protein shakes because I just felt like I wasn't recovering well enough. By Friday I wasn't lifting as well as I did on Monday and just felt fatigued. But if you feel great without it then by all means skip the protein shake and have an egg or something, it's just as good.

Which ever one you prefer. When I'm in the office I just use water but on the weekends after me and the SO come back from a run I make us one with milk and ice in the blender so it's more of a milkshake.

Oh and the one I linked comes in single serving sachets in the shop if you don't want to commit to a tub right away. I think it comes in Strawberry, Chocolate, Banana, Cookies & Cream and natural so you can try each flavour and see how you feel about it before paying £40 for a tub.

You should try at Quest bar, lol, soon I am gonna be their spokesperson at this rate, :p

BTW @MoHousdon Peanut Butter and Jelly was -good- but not one of my faves so far

Todays is Cinnamon Roll
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the cheers.

These are the two sets I got:

ryhn5o0po9p1.jpg

Satisfies my jewellery needs while being practical.

Wow those are super cute! I didn't know they had patterned bands! I'll have to tell my sister to check these out since I gave my Flex to her.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Confession: there is a teenage girl at my gym whom I would love to tell that if she feels the need to workout with her hair down and wear false eyelashes in order to impress her beau, then it may be time for a new beau. And if she is doing that to impress someone else at the gym, then she definitely needs a new a beau. Either way, I wish she would either make an effort at getting stronger or stay out of my way while I make an effort at getting stronger.

I suppose if I wore false eyelashes, I might leave them on until I got home, but there is no way under the sun that I would try to lift with my hair falling fashionably in my eyes. And leaning on the squat rack isn't exercise.

My hair and make up turns into a sweaty mess at the gym! And I only have on makeup if I come from work! !

I confess I judge women running with their long hair down. I cannot stand to have any part of my hair touching my skin. And if I have makeup on I look like a raccoon when done.

I don't understand make-up in most everyday settings....let alone going to the gym. That just seems dumb(I know I'm being judgey here...).

The only judgement I give to women who run with their hair down is HOW THE SMURF CAN YOU STAND IT?!
    I need to have my hair up in AT LEAST a ponytail, preferably a bun. I get WAY too hot otherwise. Might also have to do with where I live(Bastrop, TX).

I bit off topic, but I have been meaning to say for a while that I love how you use Smurf in your posts, it makes me laugh every time!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Update : At The Lion King! I admit I am way more excited than my family. Sigh. I think they will be happy once we have seen it. For $179 a piece I am a bit disappointed in these seats.

The show was amazing. I loved it. My niece and nephew enjoyed it I think. Tip admit to being a bit disappointed in their overall reaction to both being in the city and the show. I would have been overjoyed at their age. They were kind of like...whatever.

I can't quite recall, but didn't you say they are teenagers? Teenagers these days do not get overjoyed about much, it is not cool, you know....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Ugh. I was still sad about Cecil the lion's death, but I read this morning that the northern white rhino is about to be extinct. There's only one male left in the world, and he's old and has a low sperm count. Even if he was able to impregnate one of the females (three left), it would take years and years and constant 24/7 protection to save the species. They were hunted down for their horns :(

Poachers make my blood boil!

Yeah, me too. Same guy killed one of those white rhinos a while back too.....can someone just shoot him with an arrow already?
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.

It's good to hear from you. You've been missed :)

Thank you. :) I wasn't too sure if many people noticed that I wasn't around--I know a few did, because they PMed me.

Even if some of us don't mention it, it's definitely noticeable when you're not around :(

Aww, thank you! I honestly thought that nobody would really notice/care much whether I was around or not--an anxiety thing, mostly. :)
    peleroja wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Thank you. :) I wasn't too sure if many people noticed that I wasn't around--I know a few did, because they PMed me.

Even if some of us don't mention it, it's definitely noticeable when you're not around :(

Yep :) I assumed you were avoiding the storm though...and I don't blame you, as I was pretty seriously considering bailing at that point too...but no worries, glad to see you back!

Yes, I was--but then I couldn't seem to bring myself to jump back in and post again, although I was reading everything. It was just too hard.
    crosbylee wrote: »

Yes, dear one, we missed you very much!! I need to add you to my friends list!

Thank you!! I missed being around, too. I'd love to have you on my list. :blush:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Just an FYI to all of you Cheesecake lovers...Today is National Cheesecake Day!
    I'm not huge on cheesecake (runs to hide) but if I had some sitting in front of me, I'd sure eat it!

Cheesecake is one of my faves! But, like the food snob I am, it has to be good quality cheesecake, not that boxed frozen crap!

My son makes amazing cheesecake at his work.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    So all of you who told me about the new Quest bar flavors I hadn't tried are in BIG trouble ;) (ok well, really *I* am, because they're both my new favorites). I bought Cookies and Cream and Mint Chocolate Chunk, and um...yeah. I have to eat them in 1/5 and 1/3 of a bar segments because they taste like dessert to me lol... SO good!

I have both those flavors in my box but not at them yet.....I organized them in a specific order to try lol

Why do you only eat them in sections?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Clothing- resale/ thrift stores
    Groceries- WalMart because it's convenient
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

Your anxiety is understandable, but at least at my Y my fears proved unfounded. I was able to make an appointment with an employee to do an orientation. He showed me how to use everything and helped me with a program for the goals I had then. I've ditched it for mostly weight training now, but it was helpful a year ago. :)

Your Y sounds awesome, the one closest to my house, is not. The "trainers" that work there aren't all that interested in helping you unless you've signed up for one of their classes. I have a few friends that lift that I could probably sweet talk into helping me out the first couple times.

Really? That is crap!

At my Y I have one girl I have worked with off and on for a long time. That is one of the reasons I waited almost two weeks for an appt for the new machines cuz I wanted my girl (it only took that long because everyone was needing a session at the same time because of the new machines). She is wonderful, any time I want a session, I just book an hour with her....and she emails me regularly too.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

The DOMS die down after a couple of weeks. Just keep going at it, make sure you drink plenty of water and try to fit in a protein shake. I found a low cal on in Holland & Barrett

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/precision-engineered-whey-protein-powder-cookies-cream-60035607

87Kcal a serving and the cookies and cream one tastes AMAZING as long as you don't use warm water. Then it's not so good.

and Edit because YAY! Go you for doing weights! I'm so proud of you! <3

do protein shakes help? Do you mix the powder with water? or milk?

Uh that's the big debate. I kinda feel like it does, but now I'm on low-carb I can't hit the protein macro without it, I just can't eat that much, it's easier to chug a protein shake. I started having protein shakes because I just felt like I wasn't recovering well enough. By Friday I wasn't lifting as well as I did on Monday and just felt fatigued. But if you feel great without it then by all means skip the protein shake and have an egg or something, it's just as good.

Which ever one you prefer. When I'm in the office I just use water but on the weekends after me and the SO come back from a run I make us one with milk and ice in the blender so it's more of a milkshake.

Oh and the one I linked comes in single serving sachets in the shop if you don't want to commit to a tub right away. I think it comes in Strawberry, Chocolate, Banana, Cookies & Cream and natural so you can try each flavour and see how you feel about it before paying £40 for a tub.

You should try at Quest bar, lol, soon I am gonna be their spokesperson at this rate, :p

BTW @MoHousdon Peanut Butter and Jelly was -good- but not one of my faves so far

Todays is Cinnamon Roll

I'm also having cinnamon roll today. It's one of my favorites! I may have to try a PB&J the next time I go buy some. I tried a mint chocolate one and I didn't really care for it.

• Italian_Buju
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    @Italian_Buju on the cookies, it probably would be a little easier to use Pilsbury but I've never bought store bought cookie dough in my life, honestly, and it only takes a minute to mix anyway. Plus I don't think it'd ever stay good in the fridge long enough to use an entire package as I only have a cookie once a month or so, probably.

On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

@FluffySandwich, you should check out the conservation efforts for rhinos going on at game parks in both eastern and southern Africa, it is astounding and really gives me hope. There are wardens who are literally rhino bodyguards who even stay with them all night, every night, to keep them safe from poachers. It's really incredible and the men who do it are just the best examples of humanity doing things right for the Earth. White rhinos might not be saved, I know, but there are others and there are a lot of people out there doing everything they can for them.

This! I went for a 8 mile run and a cute old man told me to stop and have some water... I was like thanks but I'm fine.... I kinda get jealous of anyone who looks like a goddess after working out, I'm a giant ball of sweaty, red grossness lol

I've been running the stairs in my apartment building (which is full of mostly lovely senior citizens) recently, and I can't tell you how often I meet someone shuffling down from the second or third floor in slippers who makes comments. They mean well and I don't mind as I know they're trying to be friendly but I think they're getting worried about me. I told one of the "popular kids" (there's a group of them who are tanned to shoe-leather who hang out together by the pool every day and who I think are the in-crowd with all the gossip...) the other day that I'm prepping for a trek in Peru so hopefully that spreads like wildfire so they don't have to keep popping into the stairwell to check on me, haha. Or worrying when they hear my hiking boots clomping up past the sixteenth floor over and over.

LOL

You are doing awesome with those stairs!!
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I hate buying new clothes, because I'm horribly cheap and the prices make me want to die on the spot. Being from Oman, the majority of my clothing is custom-tailored from material that we buy from material shops, but for things like jeans and T-shirts I tend to go to discount/cheap stores like Max and Splash. (Not sure if these are U.S. or UK based, to be honest.) I also buy clothing from the supermarket I shop for groceries at (Carrefour--a French company), which tends to be cheap and not usually awesome quality. Then I wear them until they fall apart. :p

As for supermarkets, I love them ALL. Not relevant to non-Saudi dwellers, but I like to talk about them anyway so I'm tossing in my two cents. ;) I love Lulu, which is Indian based and brings in major imports from the U.S., so you can find all the good candy and stuff there if you're rich enough to pay their crazy prices. They also have stuff like grits and cream of wheat, which you can't get anywhere else. I go here once a month to buy hard-to-find stuff.

My main grocery store is Tamimi markets, which is actually a subsidiary of Safeway. They import many of the Safeway store brands, along with their cakes and such. They have a large selection of most of my regular buys, so we shop there weekly. I do occasionally shop at Carrefour, but I prefer Tamimi because Carrefour doesn't sell many of my go-to food items (like my beloved Wisconsin cheddar. Mmm.)

I <3 grocery stores.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Just read about the man killing Cecil the lion. My heart is broken. :( I really hope he goes to prison for this. Lions are such beautiful animals!

I know, I am beyond disgusted!
    That is also not the only animal he has done that too, he has a whole album of photos of animals he has killed. Pathetic waste of human skin!!

I have been seeing so many pictures of that lion. I can't stand to look. It hurts me. The punishment should fit the crime, but I'm sure he won't get nearly enough of a punishment for this.

Sadly, this.

I don't think he'll get much of an 'official' punishment, but hopefully all the bad publicity will ruin his business. I do feel sorry for any employees he may have that suffer as a result though. But not for him.

Yeah his practice has been closed down.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

Rant ahead...and I'm sorry, because I know it sounds like a humblebrag and I swear that's not the intention...it really is very frustrating because I'm not even an especially tiny person.

I have a tough time with clothes because my frame is such that I'm on the border of not fitting into women's sizes, so I often have to seek out juniors' stuff that's appropriate for adults or scour stores with smaller more "European" sizing like Zara. Almost all my non-work stuff is either from the kids' section (Costco, a lot of the time) or from cheapo juniors' stores. And I have as much stretchy stuff as I can get away with for work, lots of wool sweaters and skinny trousers that are basically dress-pants-jeggings. Stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Loft, and Express where lots of women my age shop for work basics are so vanity-sized I can't buy a pair of pants that fits there anymore because I have no butt. Fortunately all that loose, unstructured stuff, especially for tops, is in style now even for work so I've had options lately, though.

I'm that practically-thirty-year-old flipping through every rack at H&M and Forever 21 looking for stuff that doesn't belong on a girl half my age.

For exercise, I do kids' stuff from Costco, Victoria's Secret PINK leggings, and I do buy a LOT of Lululemon and I'm sorry. I am also that person who buys $100 hoodies and leggings sometimes. But the fit is beautiful, they are so comfortable, and they're sturdy too.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the cheers.

These are the two sets I got:

v1epxfh1iumi.jpg
    ryhn5o0po9p1.jpg

Satisfies my jewellery needs while being practical.

Are these fitbit covers?

Yes. For my flex.

Congrats on hitting 30lbs!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options

We noticed!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Groceries...I forgot in my clothing rant, but now I shop almost exclusively at a Canadian chain called Superstore, because they have a point card and I also have their Mastercard for more grocery points. I've had both for less than a year and already gotten probably $500 in free groceries. Their produce is often subpar but we eat it quickly so it doesn't usually have time to go bad anyway, so...
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I love American Eagle for jeans. In fact, I don't wear jeans from anywhere else. I have a specific style/fit of theirs that I'm obsessed with.
    I get most of my tank tops/shirts from Target, Kohl's, or Old Navy.
    Forgot to add: I do groceries at Market Basket (a grocery store in MA, NH, and now ME) because they are awesome and super cheap! The CEO is an amazing man and there was actually a strike by all employees last summer when he got fired by family members. If anyone is interested, it's a pretty cool story...Google Market Basket CEO Artie T.

I inhaled my lunch in about 4 minutes today. It must be something in the air because my son ate his fast too...and tons of food! He is about halfway through a tub of hummus (with some crackers) right now..and that's after all his veggies and a grilled cheese.