Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

I get the majority of my workout clothes from Academy, Dick's, or Kohl's. As far as regular clothes, I have everything from Target, to Kohl's, to The Gap (where my new jeans are from), to The Limited, to Old Navy. I have a few things from Dillards but those are things Mr. Mo bought me because I wouldn't spend that much on myself. I usually only buy stuff when it's on sale or if I have a coupon. I love shopping at outlet malls but there aren't any good ones close by, so I only do that on trips.

We do the majority of our grocery shopping at Dillon's (Kroger) and Super Target. If we're feeling lazy or don't have time, we'll shop at Wal-Mart.

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I committed to baking a PannuKakku (Finnish dessert like a custardy French toast served with jam) for daycare's cultural potluck on Friday. I love it. I will have to resist the urge to faceplant in it. I love desserts that aren't super sweet (I will almost always pick a lime/citrus/nut something or other over caramel bc I'm weird like that) but I don't usually eat desserts (which is weird for a baker, I know). I eat like 1/2 a Hershey's mini and I'm good lol. I'll actually eat 2 tbsp. of homemade nut butter (I make mine without sugar) before a brownie.

Are you Finnish?

I ask because the SO is and Finn pancakes are often a supper meal at our home. He's never mentioned or produced that dessert, however... surprising, considering his sweet tooth.

He's a total Finn food snob, lol. He sneers at the fundraiser Pulla I occasionally buy, saying it's nowhere as good as his mum's.

DH is lol... He's from the UP of Michigan (which has the highest concentration of Finns outside of Finland). My Pulla is decent but nothing compared to his grandmother's. He misses her food a ton (she's been dead about 5? years). I can make some stuff and I wish I knew the language but other than a few sentences, I don't.

I'm Irish (one side grandparents off the boat, the other side, one was off the boat) and a trace Serbian. I make a mean soda bread ;)

I love soda bread!! I wish I knew how to make it.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Yay!! Hit my 30 lb down goal. Time for some new pretty wristbands for my flex.

I love you guys for keeping me on track!

Yay!!! Way to go!!
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 I keep trying to reply to your post and it won't quote for me. Odd. I have never been a fan of old navy clothes they seem like disposable clothing to me, wash them a few times and they are ready for the trash. Are their workout clothes any good?

Last time I shopped there was back in like 2000 and I thought that same thing. I always wondered if they had improved on the quality or not but I guess not.

Have fun on your trip! (or I hope you had fun if it is already over-I'm behind of course).
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    I committed to baking a PannuKakku (Finnish dessert like a custardy French toast served with jam) for daycare's cultural potluck on Friday. I love it. I will have to resist the urge to faceplant in it. I love desserts that aren't super sweet (I will almost always pick a lime/citrus/nut something or other over caramel bc I'm weird like that) but I don't usually eat desserts (which is weird for a baker, I know). I eat like 1/2 a Hershey's mini and I'm good lol. I'll actually eat 2 tbsp. of homemade nut butter (I make mine without sugar) before a brownie.

Are you Finnish?

I ask because the SO is and Finn pancakes are often a supper meal at our home. He's never mentioned or produced that dessert, however... surprising, considering his sweet tooth.

He's a total Finn food snob, lol. He sneers at the fundraiser Pulla I occasionally buy, saying it's nowhere as good as his mum's.

DH is lol... He's from the UP of Michigan (which has the highest concentration of Finns outside of Finland). My Pulla is decent but nothing compared to his grandmother's. He misses her food a ton (she's been dead about 5? years). I can make some stuff and I wish I knew the language but other than a few sentences, I don't.

I'm Irish (one side grandparents off the boat, the other side, one was off the boat) and a trace Serbian. I make a mean soda bread ;)

I love soda bread!! I wish I knew how to make it.

<<<<<< This Italian makes a pretty killer Irish Soda Bread
  • riderfangal
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »

Congratulations! That's super great!

This this this. Yay for Glinda! That's so awesome!

I'm 3.4 lb away from -50 lbs (HOLY COW!) but my reward is my plastics consults lol... I may also get some new running shoes.

I am also about that close to -50!!!!
  • riderfangal
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the cheers.

These are the two sets I got:

v1epxfh1iumi.jpg
    ryhn5o0po9p1.jpg

Satisfies my jewellery needs while being practical.

Oooh now I want some new ones lol
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Confession: I was bored and decided to watch Bridezillas on Netflix...I'm obsessed!!!!! (Runs and hides :s )

I sometimes watch Bridezillas as a guilty pleasure. In fact, my former BFF and I use to set the kids up in the bedroom or kitchen playing, and then watch it together while we ate our lunch. If you're not crazy, it's hilarious. I always wonder about the men who marry these ladies. Also on Netflix is a show called marriage bootcamp, and they have some of the couples from bridezillas on there getting relationship counselling. Surprise, surprise.

I really liked the Marriage Bootcamp shows that had the Bridezillas on them but the other ones I won't watch since all they have are reality stars that I've never heard of.
  • riderfangal
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Confession: there is a teenage girl at my gym whom I would love to tell that if she feels the need to workout with her hair down and wear false eyelashes in order to impress her beau, then it may be time for a new beau. And if she is doing that to impress someone else at the gym, then she definitely needs a new a beau. Either way, I wish she would either make an effort at getting stronger or stay out of my way while I make an effort at getting stronger.

I suppose if I wore false eyelashes, I might leave them on until I got home, but there is no way under the sun that I would try to lift with my hair falling fashionably in my eyes. And leaning on the squat rack isn't exercise.

My hair and make up turns into a sweaty mess at the gym! And I only have on makeup if I come from work! !

I confess I judge women running with their long hair down. I cannot stand to have any part of my hair touching my skin. And if I have makeup on I look like a raccoon when done.

Oh, my hair MUST be pulled up!

Same. I don't understand why anyone would have it down? Unless it's at an in between length where it won't stay up?

Mine is kind of the in between stage. Usually half way through my walk/jog its falling down all over the place!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do the most of my clothing shopping at thrift stores & very rarely Wal-Mart/Target. My other favorite places to browse are T.J. Maxx (I am super excited that one is opening close to home), www.6pm.com (for designer jeans cheaper), & eBay.

For groceries I get most at Wal-Mart since I get a discount, they price match, & they have the savings catcher app that catches other stores deals you miss & you can then redeem your money for a gift card. I find their frozen veggies are cheaper, I like their Great Value brand frozen chicken breast & usually grab their big bag of frozen tilapia, & buy a lot of my general snacks there.

Giant I usually head to if they have deals on ice cream & they have fairly decent prices on steaks, pork, & chicken. It's also nice that they save your points so you can use it on gas.

My new favorite store is the Grocery Outlet. There I usually stock up on frozen meals that are cheap, ice cream, yogurt, & some cereals. With this store you still have to do the math in your head, because the prices can still be around the same or more expensive than Wal-Mart. Still can't beat $3.99 for the MaraNatha Coconut Almond Butter when Giant sells it for $9.99.

https://groceryoutlet.com/ in case any of you wanted to see if you have one near you.

GNC is where I buy my Quest bars

I have a feeling www.luckyvitamin.com will be another favorite place to order foods since I found my favorite Almond Butter on there.
  • riderfangal
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    quoted instead of edited. *face palm*

We've all done that AT LEAST once(or five times...).

At least you didn't fall off the treadmill?

Sorry @pofoster21 I had to poke a little fun. Hopefully the fall was mostly injury free.

OH and Sgt. Sexy Pants was in a motorcycle accident on the way to work today! :scream:

He ran his bike into a guard rail. He's dirty but okay. :lol:
    The motorcycle however.....uhm... Well let's just say he can't afford to take me on ANY dates for a while. :lol:

And OF COURSE he wouldn't tell me about it until the night's shift is almost over :grumble:

I am glad St. Sexy Pants is okay. He is blessed.

Two of my brothers wrecked the same motorcycle last summer and though the bike was fine the first time, the brother who bounced 200 Ft down the guard rail was in my trauma center for 8 days with four ribs remaining intact and a punctured lung. That was Memorial Day. On Independence Day, my oldest brother borrowed the bike because his was in the shop. A deer jumped the guardrail and the bike the deer and my brother skidded 200 yards down the interstate. Dead deer. Bike in pieces. Brother in my trauma center on a vent with collapsed lung, three broken ribs but only a crack in his pelvis because he lifts and his muscles held everything in place. (that's really why I lift now, it saved his life) I told bother #3 that if he got on his motorcycle on Labor Day weekend, I would break his ribs myself.

Oh my...I don't even know what to say except that I'm glad your brothers are okay now and I would have told brother #3 the exact same thing.

@lilaclovebird So glad SSP is okay!

This!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    As far as the discussion on workout clothes I buy a lot of my newer workout clothes at Wal-Mart. Another place I find workout clothes pretty dirt cheap are thrift stores. The best time to hit up the thrift stores are either 50% off days or if you're a senior citizen & they offer a special discount day.

I've found Under Armour, Nike, Reebok, & New Balance that looked like it was in new condition.

Speaking of clothing where do most of you shop for your clothing? Where do you do the majority of your grocery shopping?

Rant ahead...and I'm sorry, because I know it sounds like a humblebrag and I swear that's not the intention...it really is very frustrating because I'm not even an especially tiny person.

I have a tough time with clothes because my frame is such that I'm on the border of not fitting into women's sizes, so I often have to seek out juniors' stuff that's appropriate for adults or scour stores with smaller more "European" sizing like Zara. Almost all my non-work stuff is either from the kids' section (Costco, a lot of the time) or from cheapo juniors' stores. And I have as much stretchy stuff as I can get away with for work, lots of wool sweaters and skinny trousers that are basically dress-pants-jeggings. Stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Loft, and Express where lots of women my age shop for work basics are so vanity-sized I can't buy a pair of pants that fits there anymore because I have no butt. Fortunately all that loose, unstructured stuff, especially for tops, is in style now even for work so I've had options lately, though.

I'm that practically-thirty-year-old flipping through every rack at H&M and Forever 21 looking for stuff that doesn't belong on a girl half my age.

For exercise, I do kids' stuff from Costco, Victoria's Secret PINK leggings, and I do buy a LOT of Lululemon and I'm sorry. I am also that person who buys $100 hoodies and leggings sometimes. But the fit is beautiful, they are so comfortable, and they're sturdy too.

Try being the 51 year old flipping through the juniors' racks because the grown-up women's clothing seems to be styled/sized for gals with much larger hips/bums and bosoms than mine. :/

At least in my case the casual onlooker will probably think I'm shopping for my daughter or even granddaughter. :D Until I hold something up to me to eyeball the length.

I do like RW... they do "grown up" without crossing the "frumpy" line. Most of my clothing comes from online shopping or Winners (and TJMax when in US). Almost all of my workout wear is Winners/TJMax, with a few Old Navy tops in there... their pants are never long enough for me, unless I can find talls.

Most of my major grocery shopping is Superstore/No Frills. (Needless to say, their Joe pants are too short too.)
  • riderfangal
    Options
    So I guess I indulged in cheesecake a day early.

Never to early for cheesecake. Glad you enjoyed the show!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    I clothing shop at Target or Kohl's usually, sometimes Maurices but they are a little more expensive. Grocery shopping is a local chain because they are the cheapest and have the best selection.
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

Nice work @orangesmartie !! I think I'll give the SL 5x5 program a whirl. My husband already has the app on his phone and seemed excited about doing it with me. I have knees that are a little sensitive, so I'm REALLY hoping the squats go ok. Thanks @Lois_1989 @WestCoastJo82 @nonoelmo @ythannah and all the other women lifters here who have inspired me to give this a shot!
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

YAY!! Congrats!!! You're doing a fabulous job!!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    @Italian_Buju on the cookies, it probably would be a little easier to use Pilsbury but I've never bought store bought cookie dough in my life, honestly, and it only takes a minute to mix anyway. Plus I don't think it'd ever stay good in the fridge long enough to use an entire package as I only have a cookie once a month or so, probably.

On the long hair at the gym thing, it baffles me too. My hair is somewhere between bra-band and waist-length and I need it in a ponytail at least, with a headband to keep it totally off my face. And I am NOT cute when I work out anyway as my face turns so red it's almost purple when I run. Strangers ask if I'm okay. I'm fine and I don't even feel super winded or anything, but I look on the brink of collapse, lol.

@FluffySandwich, you should check out the conservation efforts for rhinos going on at game parks in both eastern and southern Africa, it is astounding and really gives me hope. There are wardens who are literally rhino bodyguards who even stay with them all night, every night, to keep them safe from poachers. It's really incredible and the men who do it are just the best examples of humanity doing things right for the Earth. White rhinos might not be saved, I know, but there are others and there are a lot of people out there doing everything they can for them.

This! I went for a 8 mile run and a cute old man told me to stop and have some water... I was like thanks but I'm fine.... I kinda get jealous of anyone who looks like a goddess after working out, I'm a giant ball of sweaty, red grossness lol

Uh-huh, same here. The guys I mountain biked with a few years ago used to tease me about how red/purple my face would get lol. I don't let it bother me now, although I do try to avoid going out in public places (other than the gym) until the colour is gone.

I have noticed that I get kind of pale while I'm lifting. I'm assuming because the blood is going other places.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Rant ahead...and I'm sorry, because I know it sounds like a humblebrag and I swear that's not the intention...it really is very frustrating because I'm not even an especially tiny person.

I have a tough time with clothes because my frame is such that I'm on the border of not fitting into women's sizes, so I often have to seek out juniors' stuff that's appropriate for adults or scour stores with smaller more "European" sizing like Zara. Almost all my non-work stuff is either from the kids' section (Costco, a lot of the time) or from cheapo juniors' stores. And I have as much stretchy stuff as I can get away with for work, lots of wool sweaters and skinny trousers that are basically dress-pants-jeggings. Stores like Banana Republic, J Crew, Loft, and Express where lots of women my age shop for work basics are so vanity-sized I can't buy a pair of pants that fits there anymore because I have no butt. Fortunately all that loose, unstructured stuff, especially for tops, is in style now even for work so I've had options lately, though.

I'm that practically-thirty-year-old flipping through every rack at H&M and Forever 21 looking for stuff that doesn't belong on a girl half my age.

For exercise, I do kids' stuff from Costco, Victoria's Secret PINK leggings, and I do buy a LOT of Lululemon and I'm sorry. I am also that person who buys $100 hoodies and leggings sometimes. But the fit is beautiful, they are so comfortable, and they're sturdy too.

Try being the 51 year old flipping through the juniors' racks because the grown-up women's clothing seems to be styled/sized for gals with much larger hips/bums and bosoms than mine. :/

At least in my case the casual onlooker will probably think I'm shopping for my daughter or even granddaughter. :D Until I hold something up to me to eyeball the length.

I do like RW... they do "grown up" without crossing the "frumpy" line. Most of my clothing comes from online shopping or Winners (and TJMax when in US). Almost all of my workout wear is Winners/TJMax, with a few Old Navy tops in there... their pants are never long enough for me, unless I can find talls.

Most of my major grocery shopping is Superstore/No Frills. (Needless to say, their Joe pants are too short too.)

It's my future, haha. I just don't care anymore though because what else am I supposed to do? Buy everything too big and spend more money to have it tailored? Nope, I don't want to spend the extra so apart from a couple nice skirt suits I had altered for big meetings and stuff I'd rather just keep digging for appropriate clothes in teen stores.

I HAVE a chest and hips and women's stuff still doesn't fit most of the time...yet the stuff my mom wore as a size 8 in the 80s fits perfectly, so go figure. She nearly fainted when I bought a wedding dress in a 0 (I'm ten pounds heavier than she was and her dress was, again, an 8), thinking I'd lost my mind, but that is really how much sizes have changed compared to when she was my age.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yay! Hi @Susieq_1994!!!!!! :smiley:

Hello. :blush: It's been a while.

It's good to hear from you. You've been missed :)

Thank you. :) I wasn't too sure if many people noticed that I wasn't around--I know a few did, because they PMed me.

We all noticed! :heart: Glad to see you back!
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Also, I do my grocery shopping at like 5-6 am on Saturdays. I normally get up at 4-430 during the week so it's sleeping in a little. I found that I can avoid the weeknight or weekend day crowds that way. Only a couple of times, they hadn't yet stocked what I'd like to buy. For weekends like this one, where we are going to be out of town, and I can't do my usual grocery store run, it stresses me.