Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

ETA: Yay me, I can follow directions!

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.

This is the mix I used:

It is delicious! It has a separate packet of coconut pecan mix to add in before baking. It is super moist! I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted it with whatever brand of coconut pecan frosting I grabbed first. (Betty Crocker, I think?)
    Edit: because spelling is hard.

Would I be driven out of the thread if I admitted that I'd most likely HATE German Chocolate cake? I hate nuts in everything (they can only be eaten alone, unless we're talking nut butter), and I really hate coconut in desserts--and in everything else. I can only eat it plain and fresh.

I don't like coconut or am not a fan of nuts in anything either (except chunky peanut butter).

ETA: I must have deleted the part of not liking anything super chocolaty, so not sure I have ever had German chocolate cake, but suspect I would not like it.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    80% of the time I convince myself that it's okay to eat what I want as long as it's within my calorie goal for the day.

Um, this is okay 100% of the time...

• Oberon21
    Options
    So, since everyone was sharing little gems today for page 1400 (which I missed), here's my deep and wisdomful contribution:

This was cute! :)
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Random things I hope to do one day:

1) Kick down a door. Don't know why, it just looks fun. But based on how attempting to kick a fence board down went, I don't think I'll be very good at kicking in doors.

2) Flip a table when I'm mad. Preferably someone else's table, with their stuff on it.

Life goal! Kicking down the door would be fun too. I need to build up some more leg strength before that happens though.

Confession: I like kicking/punching things.

I feel stupid kicking/punching anything. I have puny hands and am not particularly physically violent. I more rage with words. When I try to be violent (break something, rip something up, punch something) I feel stupid and ineffective. I just rant and yell and swear a lot (but not here of course).

Oh, I do this too, but punching and kicking things is such an awesome release for me. I would like to have a punching or speed bag in my workout room when our basement gets finished.

• FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I am known at work for making really good cakes, usually from scratch. Today one of the guys is leaving to take a job out of state, so they asked me to make him a German chocolate cake. I made it- box mix, can of frosting. Everyone is raving about how good it is. I don't know whether I should be flattered or disappointed.

ETA: Yay me, I can follow directions!

German Choc cake is the one I'm the most tempted to do this with. I never make anything out of a box (My kitchen would have to be on fire first lol) but German Choc Cake from scratch tastes almost exactly like a box mix. If anything, scratch made is less sweet and mild chocolate flavor. The cake is a cinch to make, but the frosting is a PITA. Making the caramel base and throwing in the pecans and stirring til your arms hate you on extremely low heat drives me nuts... My mom asks for a GC Cake every year for her birthday and I do it but every year I swear I'm substituting Duncan Hines...Then no matter how cold/cooled off the cake is, even if you do a crumb coat, frosting it is HARD.

This is the mix I used:

It is delicious! It has a separate packet of coconut pecan mix to add in before baking. It is super moist! I baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and frosted it with whatever brand of coconut pecan frosting I grabbed first. (Betty Crocker, I think?)
    Edit: because spelling is hard.

Would I be driven out of the thread if I admitted that I'd most likely HATE German Chocolate cake? I hate nuts in everything (they can only be eaten alone, unless we're talking nut butter), and I really hate coconut in desserts--and in everything else. I can only eat it plain and fresh.
    German chocolate cake has a special place in my heart. My dad used to buy one for everyone on their birthday, thinking it was our favorite cake. The truth is it wasn't the favorite cake of any of us... except for my dad. I think he convinced himself everyone loved it as much as him. Now it always makes me think about him <3

I also do like German chocolate cake, and I'm not a big cake person. I love coconut!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    Good choices were not made at lunch today. At least it has potassium. :/

I think you made a good choice. I really like those kind!

My morning didn't start so good either. I ordered Starbucks and they made the first drink wrong so they gave it to me. So instead of one Starbucks drink, I had two today. :( So double the calories. (I wanted an iced caramel macchiato but they made a hot one first with a bunch of caramel in it).

Also, just as an FYI-I got our first relationship counseling session scheduled for Aug 13 (it was the soonest that our schedules would allow). Crossing fingers!

Crossing fingers too. I hope it goes well.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

My morning didn't start so good either. I ordered Starbucks and they made the first drink wrong so they gave it to me. So instead of one Starbucks drink, I had two today. :( So double the calories. (I wanted an iced caramel macchiato but they made a hot one first with a bunch of caramel in it).

Also, just as an FYI-I got our first relationship counseling session scheduled for Aug 13 (it was the soonest that our schedules would allow). Crossing fingers!

Hope it goes well!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

You can ask me or quiksylver! (Or Lois - I think that's what she is doing too). Have you looked at the app yet?

Very briefly. I watched the video for workout A but haven't gotten around to watching workout B yet. I am planning on starting next week, so I will watch B sometime this weekend or something. My plan is to supplement my HIIT with the SL 5x5 so I will do it on Tuesday and Thursday and maybe Saturday. I don't know yet, because I haven't checked out the program yet.

Any help you ladies could offer, would be tremendously helpful and greatly appreciated.

Don't mind me listening in on your advice. I have every intention of starting Stronglifts at some point.

eta: spelling, oy

We may need to start an SL 5x5 thread in the batcave since so many of us are either doing it or going to start doing it. I'm pretty excited about seeing what my body can not only look like, but also, what my body can DO. My goal is more Ronda Rousey and less DLB. B)

Oh my! Total girl crush!!! I love her! <3 If SL 5X5's get me looking like that, I'm NEVER stopping!

Me either! She has the just the right amount of muscle without being gross. Sorry for those that are fans of DLB and that look. It's just not what I'm into or going for.

Who's DBL? I Googled (briefly), but no love...

Dana Lynn Bailey (I'm not sure if that's spelled exactly right)

ETA: I think she looks amazing & I can appreciate the amount of hard work she's put in, but it's not a goal look for me either.

Thanks, Shiba!

So, there's no way she's not on steroids, right? Unless she has just crazy high t-level naturally I didn't think that low of body fat and that level of definition/mass was possible for women...I guess there's always outliers though.

Good on her for getting what she wants, but yeah, I'd be team Rousey, too.

Googled both, definitely team Rousey. DLB's thighs scare me, it actually looks like she has stuck bricks on her quads.

I agree. It looks like she's wearing hockey gear or something.

• Oberon21
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    So TMI alert but here's a thought (you've been warned).

As previously bemoaned, a lovely side effect of pregnancy is the slowing down of one's bowel and all the delightful consequences associated therewith.

While I finally managed to 'lighten my load' earlier today after a few days of stalling, it occurred to me that perhaps this is nature's way of readying the body for birth. I swear I had to do breathing exercises to get through it!

I feel better now...

As I don't have children and therefore have never given birth, this scares me :#

Aaah I didn't mean to put anyone off. Pregnancy has thus far not been too bad. I haven't puked once! Also now I'm at the stage where people officially know, I feel I can stick my gut out as far as I like (even if it is primarily due to too much lunch rather than baby). There are positives too!

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

I'm just waiting for the clock to run out and hoping my health conditions mean early menopause!

Eeek. Be careful what you wish for...

My favourite quotation is from a fridge magnet... saw it, didn't buy it, regretted it, hunted high and low for it, ended up buying online.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
    ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ooh i like this one too!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Random things I hope to do one day:

1) Kick down a door. Don't know why, it just looks fun. But based on how attempting to kick a fence board down went, I don't think I'll be very good at kicking in doors.

2) Flip a table when I'm mad. Preferably someone else's table, with their stuff on it.

Life goal! Kicking down the door would be fun too. I need to build up some more leg strength before that happens though.

Confession: I like kicking/punching things.

I feel stupid kicking/punching anything. I have puny hands and am not particularly physically violent. I more rage with words. When I try to be violent (break something, rip something up, punch something) I feel stupid and ineffective. I just rant and yell and swear alot (but not here of course).

You and me both girlfriend!!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    I have this set up as my daily reminder, it's a little harsh but it gets the job done.
    "You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Since nothing seems urgent to you, you are only half involved in what you do. The only way to change is through action and outside pressure. Put yourself in situations where you have too much at stake to waste time and resources - if you can't afford to lose, you won't. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory where you must rely on your wits and energy to see you through. Place yourself on 'death ground', where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like heck to get out alive."

On my fridge I have.
    "A Manifesto for a Simple Life: Eat less, move more. Buy less, make more. Stress less, laugh more. Feel Blessed, love more. Find a quiet spot everyday and Breathe."

I like both of these but boy are they opposite! (confessing I may have edited the swear word out...)
  • Oberon21
    Options
    All.... some thoughts for page 1400 and all we have been through in these last 8? months....

These are 2 quotes that hang on my wall:

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter (fortune cookie fortune)

and

It's never too late to become what you might have been.

I like both of these are use them on my wall as a reminder of how I personally want to approach my life.

Happy page 1400 folks. And have a great weekend (for those disappearing for the weekend already).

Not gonna lie, that seriously made me tear up. It's so, SO true. Why not be the person you could have been today?! The only person stopping you, is you!

I love that!!!

Me too...and its a reminder (not that I am following it very much these days) to not settle... to keep fighting... to dream, aspire, believe.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm going to a place called The Melting Pot. I'm going to pig out and I don't regret it for even a second!!!

Oh I love this place. Fondu.. mmmm mmm mmm
  • ShibaEars
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay, I deleted my last post, but I'm going to reword it here, it's regarding the DLB comments.

It bothers me that people are being encouraged to be more body positive, and not body shame people who are overweight, but people who are super fit are still picked apart. I get that not everyone wants to look like that, I don't want to look like that either, but I don't think it's right to say she looks manly or scary. It's still body shaming. Just because she's muscular/fit doesn't make it okay. People wouldn't post things like that about an obese person, or they'd be torn apart!

I hope that makes sense. I know it's judgment free and I think you are all super great, but I just had to put my $0.02 in.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Tomorrow is my birthday and I'm going to a place called The Melting Pot. I'm going to pig out and I don't regret it for even a second!!!

Oh I love this place. Fondue.. mmmm mmm mmm

I want to go there the next time I'm in Chicago. There and Giordano's again. I LOVED that place.

• Oberon21
    Options
    Okay, I deleted my last post, but I'm going to reword it here, it's regarding the DLB comments.

It bothers me that people are being encouraged to be more body positive, and not body shame people who are overweight, but people who are super fit are still picked apart. I get it, I don't want to look like DLB either, but I don't think it's right to say she looks manly or scary. It's still body shaming. Just because she's muscular/fit doesn't make it okay. People wouldn't post things like that about an obese person, or they'd be torn apart!

I hope that makes sense. I know it's judgment free and I think you are all super great, but I just had to put my $0.02 in.

I wondered what your 'deleted' meant. Good point. I don't care for that look. I don't care for the anorexic look either. Both are too extreme. But totally get your point. And won't do it again and luckily, its within the hour, so I'll go delete it! :)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

Good luck with the bolded part. I hope it goes well for you and you can make a start on working through his issues. Everything crossed for you.
  • ShibaEars
    edited July 2015
    Options

It bothers me that people are being encouraged to be more body positive, and not body shame people who are overweight, but people who are super fit are still picked apart. I get it, I don't want to look like DLB either, but I don't think it's right to say she looks manly or scary. It's still body shaming. Just because she's muscular/fit doesn't make it okay. People wouldn't post things like that about an obese person, or they'd be torn apart!

I wondered what your 'deleted' meant. Good point. I don't care for that look. I don't care for the anorexic look either. Both are too extreme. But totally get your point. And won't do it again and luckily, its within the hour, so I'll go delete it! :)

That's totally fine. Everyone's "ideal" varies of course. :smile:

It may have been mentioned already way back, but there's a double standard on body acceptance. You (general you) can't put down or say anything bad about an overweight person, but skinny people are told to "eat a hamburger" or accused of being anorexic when they're not. For some reason it's more acceptable to make remarks to a skinny person. I'm not sure why. I can only imagine the types of comments women like DLB must get, and while they might be used to it, I know I wouldn't want to hear unnecessary negative comments about my body.

ETA: Now I'm stressed about these posts. I am not trying to stir anything up so I hope nobody takes offence to me stating my opinion.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    11825658_940901039303685_673752295597313416_n.jpg?oh=3dc68214d1f3f249a316d7c34142f98f&oe=560F0DBF

I saw this and thought of y'all
  • Oberon21
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's totally fine. Everyone's "ideal" varies of course. :smile:

It may have been mentioned already way back, but there's a double standard on body acceptance. You (general you) can't put down or say anything bad about an overweight person, but skinny people are told to "eat a hamburger" or accused of being anorexic when they're not. For some reason it's more acceptable to make remarks to a skinny person. I'm not sure why. I can only imagine the types of comments women like DLB must get, and while they might be used to it, I know I wouldn't want to hear unnecessary negative comments about my body.

ETA: Now I'm stressed about these posts. I am not trying to stir anything up so I hope nobody takes offence to me stating my opinion.

Actually, the woman I work out with on Saturday used to be a body builder. I have seen her pictures and to be honest I do not care for that look. However, she has talked about how people made fun of her if she was out to lunch, etc. and how it hurt, so I totally get your point, and I am not in the least bit offended. I appreciate the perspective and you sharing it with me. And I will think twice in the future! So, all good!

ETA: Why does my quoting of you have an ETA but what I see on the original post doesn't??? So weird? Must be a timing thing.