Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

August 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Definitely needed a break. Hope to get a long run in tomorrow. I'm not necessarily feeling too tired/sore in the legs or anything (although they never feel rested any more), but mentally I've worn down quite a bit. So time to regroup! I might have to revise my monthly total downwards missing this big of a long run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    aarar wrote: »
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm a bit late, but I'd like to join the challenge this month. I'm training for a trail run later in September so for this month I'm aiming for 350km (which is about 217 miles). As of today I'm at 71km/44 miles.

Welcome! That's some killer mileage! How far is the trail run you're training for?

Thanks!

It's 50 miles. Should be fun lol.
    You have my admiration!:smile: I have a long term hope to try something like that, but it's not in any plans right now, for sure. I have to get up to marathon distance first. Plus, by the time I would cross a 50 mile run finish line they would be lining up to start the next years race!:lol:
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    8/1 - 3 miles Potter Run - Way fun with lots of people in costume.
    8/5 - 2.25
    8/6 - 2
    8/8 - 2.75

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    August goal 60 miles

8/1 I really...
    8/2 Need to find a better source
    8/3 For my Chinese take out supply....
    8/4 Managed a 1.17 "ralk" with all 3 puppies
    8/5 3.1 on the dreadmill until the aforementioned Chinese food from hell re "reared" (pun intended)
    its ugly head.
    8/6 2.52
    8/7 5

Total 11.77

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2015
    8/1- 2.62
    8/2- 5.24
    8/3- 3.52
    8/4- .84
    8/5- 3.79
    8/6- 5.54
    8/7- 2.81
    8/8- 2.84 so far

27.2 miles so far in August
    This is walking and running all measured by my fitbit.

I think I'll be ambitious and make my goal 100 miles.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,881 Member
    @jorocka - sorry about your calf and miserable run. Definitely keep foam rolling it. I try to do that before and after my runs.
    @Stoshew71 - Thanks for all the links!
    @kristinegift - that's awesome on your long run - up to 18 tomorrow!
    @vandinem - awesome 9 miles!

Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride
    Aug 3 - 4.1 miles
    Aug 4 - 4.15 miles in morning; strength training and cycling class. yeah, I’m crazy.
    Aug 5 - 6.15 miles - too hot to do my long run for the week.
    Aug 6 - strength training and cycling class (hills!)
    Aug 7 - rest day
    Aug 8 - 34 mile bike ride

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to road and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.

31.2 miles of 120

exercise.png

Fleet gifts cards!

2dni7osku4za.jpg

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @karllundy, happy anniversary!
    @skippygirlsmom, great shoe swag and congrats on a great race. Not a PR but clearly you two did well. Great photo!
    @JoRocka, sorry about the run, but your next run will be better.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    6 miles down memory lane for me this morning. I'm in my home town for my 30 year high school class reunion. Considering the time I finally got to bed this morning, I'm surprised it happened, though I did sleep in 2 hours longer than planned.

That makes 23 of 100 miles for the month.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    8-1: 2.5 mi
    8-2: 2.62 mi
    8-5: 2.6 mi
    8-8: 2.77 mi

10.49/30 mi.

Maybe I should've set a higher goal! Feeling much better today after my allergies roadblocked me for a few days.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    I just started the Hal Higdon training for 10km.

Today I ran 4 km.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to road and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.

31.2 miles of 120

exercise.png

Fleet gifts cards!

2dni7osku4za.jpg

Sweet! Awards that come with money! Congrats to both of you! Also: both your nails are great! Love the colors! :)
  • bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    I'm going to try for 140 in August.

exercise.png

Here's what I've done so far in August:

8/01 -- 7.42
    8/02 -- 6.54
    8/03 -- 6.00
    8/04 -- 7.02
    8/05 -- 7.60
    8/06 -- Rest Day
    8/07 -- 6.40
    8/08 -- 6.30

Anyone else log run on RunKeeper? I got an e-mail that tomorrow if you use RunKeeper and do a 5K (at least), you can take part in some kind of special event. Sorry if I'm unclear on details, but I figure I'll get up and participate. Anyone else with me?

• bigorangemichael
    bigorangemichael Posts: 27 Member
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles with the Thursday crew
    8/7: 5 miles
    8/8: 3 miles; 5 was scheduled, but I am upping my long run to 18 from 16 tomorrow because we're finally having a Sunday with a high below 90 degrees, so that means a beautiful morning to run long! Plus, I have to hurry up and shower because there's a $12 dress sale at Old Navy but it only goes until 1 pm! And since I'm slimming out of half my clothes it seems, I need to get all the bargain prices I can!

43/200

exercise.png

I'm with you on keeping up on what's on sale and getting bargains! I swim laps for exercise as well and have found I need smaller trunks or else when I flip turn, I run the risk of my trunks not staying where they should! LOL

My wife and I have been working on losing weight this year and we are keeping our local Goodwill and consignment store in business!

Congrats on the need for new clothes. It's a great feeling!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    8/2 - 10k
    8/5 - 5k
    8/7 - 7k

22/88km
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    @skippygirlsmom Congratulations on a race well-run! I'm enjoying trying different surfaces/types of trails, too. I ran my first "technical" type trail today and had a blast, even though there were sections that I couldn't handle running on (too steep and with huge steps). It was really beautiful!

bhj3wzzmn9a1.jpg
    3gbv2yqi6dso.jpg

Totals:

8/1 3.2 @ 10:55 (race)
    8/2 5.0 @ 20:00 (hiking)
    8/3 4.5 @ 18:00 (walk with kids and dog)
    8/4 4.0 @ 11:30 (treadmill) and strength training
    8/5 Amusement Park Day
    8/6 3.0 @ 12:00 and strength training
    8/7 Aquarium Day

8/8 4.0 @ 15:00 (my first technical trail--I was going about 5mph on the flats, but the steep parts required walking)

23.7/100

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @JoRocka - hope your calf is feeling better! Did you hydrate well before your run? I had a terrible cramp in my calf that knocked me out for a week or so and I am pretty sure it was because I wasn't hydrated and it was really, really hot. Love the pictures - my dog likes to help me roll and stretch. He wants to lick away the sweat (YUCK) and just gets in my face. That is a really weird ant thingy - I have never seen anything like that!
    @WhatMeRunning - you have been pushing it pretty hard! I hope a bit of a break and rest helps and you can come back rested and ready to run again! My body typically lets me know that I need to rest by making sure I hurt somewhere :)
    @ddmom0811 - you continue to amaze me with your long rides!
    @skippygirlsmom - Awesome that you got gift cards to your favorite running store! I need to find one of those around here that sponsors fun 5 and 10Ks - I don't do enough of those and it would probably be good for me!
    @7lenny7 - so cool to run areas you ran growing up! Have fun at your reunion!
    8/1: 5 miles

8/8: 3 miles; 5 was scheduled, but I am upping my long run to 18 from 16 tomorrow because we're finally having a Sunday with a high below 90 degrees, so that means a beautiful morning to run long! Plus, I have to hurry up and shower because there's a $12 dress sale at Old Navy but it only goes until 1 pm! And since I'm slimming out of half my clothes it seems, I need to get all the bargain prices I can!
    I'm with you on keeping up on what's on sale and getting bargains! I swim laps for exercise as well and have found I need smaller trunks or else when I flip turn, I run the risk of my trunks not staying where they should! LOL

My wife and I have been working on losing weight this year and we are keeping our local Goodwill and consignment store in business!

Congrats on the need for new clothes. It's a great feeling!
    @kristinegift and @bigorangemichael - It is SUCH a great feeling to need new clothes! When I lost all my weight I pretty much turned over my entire closet. It was so much fun buying everything new even though my husband wasn't thrilled with the expense! I kind of miss that now but I still treat myself when I see something cute on sale and especially if it is something I could not have worn before (or running clothes :))
    @5BeautifulDays - love the trail pictures! Wish I had somewhere here like that to run!

I had a pretty good long run today. I am still fighting that sore muscle pain in my side. I think I must have pulled something there. It is fine when I walk but when I start to run I must engage that muscle and it is excruciating and brought tears to my eyes. I almost went back home but once I was running I was fine. So... I ran most of the 10.5 miles without stopping because I knew it would really hurt to start again. Of course I had to stop for the dog to do his business and to get some water but otherwise we just kept moving. I took some Aleve and hoping with rest tomorrow it will be fine!

Date.......Miles......Total
    08/01.....8.45.......8.45
    08/02.....0.00.......8.45 - rest
    08/03.....0.00.......8.45 - unplanned rest +Agility
    08/04.....5.11.....13.56 - +Strength training
    08/05.....4.18.....17.74
    08/06.....4.86.....22.60 - +Strength training
    08/07.....5.32.....27.92
    08/08...10.48.....38.40

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for August

8/1 17 miles - 17
    8/2 REST DAY
    8/3 10.5 miles - 27.5
    8/4 9.25 miles - 36.75
    8/5 5.65 miles - 42.4
    8/6 REST DAY Unplanned (domestic emergency and bad weather)
    8/7 6.4 miles - 48.8
    8/8 18 miles - 66.8

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks all for the encouragement. Ended up racing the sprint triathlon this morning (w. Waterproof bandages over the bite) and earned some hardware (2nd age group prize, 19th/244 overall), but had to leave early for a wedding and couldn't collect the age group prize medal.

I was pretty exhausted by the run, but put together a 21:54 5k (7:03/mile pace - 21st out of 244). Still, the bike went well (19/244 on a $170 Walmart road bike), and I had the fastest Transition 2, and T1+T2 time overall (as I did the bike + run in the same shoes without socks which helped). Swim start was botched, but I avoided getting kicked too much.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles
    8/5 - 5.5 miles
    8/6 - 8 miles (w. 8x800s @ 6:22 pace)
    8/8 - 3 miles (triathlon 5k @ 7:03 pace)

Total: 37.5 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 102.5 miles
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 - 3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)
    8/6 - 3.5mi. Got up at 6:30am on my day off for a beautiful cool morning run with Neeko. Kept my average pace at 13:14 which seems to be ideal for me but I will admit my legs were tired when I was done. That hasn't happened in a while but it was a great feeling.
    8/8 - 2mi. Over did it on strength training yesterday and pushed myself to do 3 reps of 12 leg presses at 210 lbs so my legs were dead today. Even Neeko was confused when I turned around early LOL. I think I am going to try again tomorrow depending on how crazy work is and I am not sure if I want to push for 4 miles since I just stepped up to 3.5 last week. I guess I will see how I feel.

Completed : 12.6
    To go : 22.4