Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Newbie to this thread! Lost 12lbs and now at a happy weight of 122lbs (I'm 5 ft 3 by the way). I really need to tone my butt and legs as they're still quite large compared to my waist. Trying to find a new workout plan so if you can recommend one - please do. I have no gym access and only 2 x 2kg weights! Holiday is 12 weeks away so if I can make some changes by then I'd be over the moon. Thank you :)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Newbie to this thread! Lost 12lbs and now at a happy weight of 122lbs (I'm 5 ft 3 by the way). I really need to tone my butt and legs as they're still quite large compared to my waist. Trying to find a new workout plan so if you can recommend one - please do. I have no gym access and only 2 x 2kg weights! Holiday is 12 weeks away so if I can make some changes by then I'd be over the moon. Thank you :)

Look into bodyweight exercises, because 4 kg of weight total is most likely not going to cut it, since it doesn't allow for progressive overload.
    Furthermore, recomp is a long progress, so you might only see little changes in 12 weeks.
    It also sounds like you are a natural pear shape. I hope you know you can't spot reduce fat, only decrease overall bodyfat and hope it comes off your hips. By the way, you do know toning is not a real thing right? You should check out the toning thread that's currently in the exercise sub forum.

Good bodyweight programs:
    - nerdfitness beginners bodyweight routine
    - You are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I wanted to give a quick update since first reading this thread and starting a recomp a little over 2 months ago. I have stayed the same weight but lost a jeans size! My lifts are also finally improving with more calories. I have been taking progress pictures and I haven't noticed a real difference in them, but I can see slow changes in the mirror.

My question today is...why is the rest of the internet so anti-recomp? I visit several other forums (such as bodybuilding.com) and everyone keeps saying bulk/cut is the way too go and that recomps are ineffective. This thread was really the first place I found positive info on recomp. I'm still on board to keep working on a recomp because I hate cutting. I'm just wondering why so few people seem to have positive recomp success stories.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    My question today is...why is the rest of the internet so anti-recomp?
    My thoughts, people don't generally have the patience and I count myself as one. A recomp takes confidence and willingness to stay the course for months rather than weeks to see even a hint of results. When cutting you see the scale move and muscles become defined, bulking yields PRs and more food, quicker positive reinforcement of the process.
    I was trying to recomp and wanted to be leaner faster so I decided to cut.

• Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    This guy seems to have a very large channel on youtube.com. Not sure that actually means anything but he's a physical therapist and seems to be very knowledgeable. In any case he seems to think you can build muscle mass while reducing fat and makes it sound like it's just as fast as bulk and cut cycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz3AG-oCXTE

I just started my recomp and have actually had my BF measured with a DEXA scan. I plan on having another scan in December so I'll be able to see how much my body has recomped in 5 months (if any). At that point I'll reevaluate my situation. I might just try a bulk and cut cycle to see how those results compare to the recomp.
  • AsISmile
    Options
    I hae two issues with that vid.

The first is something I've run into before online, there seems to be no concensus if you need to eat defecit, maintenance or surplus for a recomp.
    Does anyone have a good source on this? Preferably scientific?

The second is the whole quality proteine and lean muscle.
    Proteine is proteine and muscle is muscle, correct?
  • Giolis
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My understanding is that for a recomp you eat at maintenance. At a deficit you'd be cutting and at a surplus you'd be bulking.

There are various type of proteins, some proteins are fast absorbing, some slow, some have all the amino acids, some none or much less. I have no idea if any of those differences actually affect muscle growth or if it's just marketing hype.

I believe that when he eludes to lean muscle he's insinuating that you're not gaining fat as in a traditional bulk. In a bulk you always gain muscle and fat at the same time.

I agree, it would be SO much easier if there was a clear cut scientific study that would just settle this for everyone.
  • AsISmile
    Options
    Giolis wrote: »
    My understanding is that for a recomp you eat at maintenance. At a deficit you'd be cutting and at a surplus you'd be bulking.

There are various type of proteins, some proteins are fast absorbing, some slow, some have all the amino acids, some none or much less. I have no idea if any of those differences actually affect muscle growth or if it's just marketing hype.

I believe that when he eludes to lean muscle he's insinuating that you're not gaining fat as in a traditional bulk. In a bulk you always gain muscle and fat at the same time.

I agree, it would be SO much easier if there was a clear cut scientific study that would just settle this for everyone.

Calorie wise that is what I'd think too, but this thread is the only place I've seen that says eat maintainance. And since I'm not willing to eat surplus or defecit, that is what I will try.

I really should look into all that proteine stuff, well that and nutrition and muscles in general. I wish there was like a good online course on the biology of this... If anyone knows of one let me know.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Calorie wise that is what I'd think too, but this thread is the only place I've seen that says eat maintainance. And since I'm not willing to eat surplus or defecit, that is what I will try.

I really should look into all that proteine stuff, well that and nutrition and muscles in general. I wish there was like a good online course on the biology of this... If anyone knows of one let me know.

If you're really interested I would recommend getting an old version of a biology text book for nutrition majors. Sometimes you can grab one for a few bucks on Amazon. I will take a look through my old texts and see if there is a good breakdown on sports nutrition in any of them.

FWIW-I have recomped in the past and kept it right around maintenance. I would inevitably do a small cut-but recomp worked for sure. I stayed within a 3-lb range and went down numerous pants sizes.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Here's an Eric Helms video talking about the difference between a surplus and deficit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5bFy_WHYLI&index=2&list=PLYdkxp9hJ4i7KsYsAnNBrtRvEIop6fLlp
    His whole "Peeling Back a Layer" playlist is gold.

• Giolis
    Options
    I found this site that explains the various varieties of proteins. They are selling vegetable protein powders so there's a definite slant on the as you can see that all the animal varieties of proteins cause some sort of allergic reaction. The actual facts about proteins seem to be accurate.

http://www.nutribodyprotein.com/protein-types.php

I've also looked at ExRx.com http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Protein.html

If anyone else has a good reference please let me know.
  • Giolis
    Options
    Another site I found that has good information on nutrition and supplementation. It's regarding natural body builders getting ready for competition. Since it's a government website I thought that the information was less likely to be biased than most of the public sites that are pushing their agenda. It's a long read but very informative.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033492/
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Question.... does lifting weights have the talked about 24 hour calorie burn?

I have heard it is good to weight lift b.c you will burn calories all day from it and I have heard that it is not enough to even consider.
  • Giolis
    Options
    My understanding is that the actual act of lifting weights only minimally increases how much you burn afterwards. The benefit comes from building more muscle which require more calories to maintain.

HIIT type training is said to continue burning calories long after and at a higher rate.
  • Giolis
    Options
    Thanks @_benjammin !!! Just watched all six. They're great!
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great info here. Just hit goal weight from 130 to 122. MFP changed my calories from 1200 to 1960. Seems like a lot. I plan on slowly increasing my calories and seeing how it goes. New goal is to decrease body fat (currently around 24%) and increase strength/muscle doing primarily weights, strength training.

Will definitely continue following this, thanks!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

Look into bodyweight exercises, because 4 kg of weight total is most likely not going to cut it, since it doesn't allow for progressive overload.
    Furthermore, recomp is a long progress, so you might only see little changes in 12 weeks.
    It also sounds like you are a natural pear shape. I hope you know you can't spot reduce fat, only decrease overall bodyfat and hope it comes off your hips. By the way, you do know toning is not a real thing right? You should check out the toning thread that's currently in the exercise sub forum.

- You are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning

I definitely need to invest in heavier weights! Will research more into "toning" as I wasn't aware it wasn't a real thing. Thanks for those. Really struggle to follow any program except the Kayla Itsines BBG for some reason. I like her one but worried it's too cardio based.
  • AsISmile
    Options

- You are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning

I definitely need to invest in heavier weights! Will research more into "toning" as I wasn't aware it wasn't a real thing. Thanks for those. Really struggle to follow any program except the Kayla Itsines BBG for some reason. I like her one but worried it's too cardio based.

Here's the thread on toning https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception
    I found it quite insightful, and made me kinda hate the fitness industry..
  • katiejanecollins
    Options

- You are your own gym
    - Convict conditioning

Here's the thread on toning https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10229692/toning-is-a-deception
    I found it quite insightful, and made me kinda hate the fitness industry..

That's an interesting top post on that thread! I see it slightly differently now...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My understanding is that the actual act of lifting weights only minimally increases how much you burn afterwards. The benefit comes from building more muscle which require more calories to maintain.

HIIT type training is said to continue burning calories long after and at a higher rate.

@Giolis
    Both these two things are pretty much myths unfortunately - for practical purposes.

The calorie burn from muscle at rest (the body maintaining muscle tissue) is minimal so adding a few pounds of muscle is totally irrelevant, it's activity and exercise that makes the difference.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/dissecting-the-energy-needs-of-the-body-research-review.html

HIIT type training does have a larger EPOC than low level steady state cardio exercise but it's potentially a larger proportion of a much smaller number. Real HIIT is very short duration and that time also includes recovery time - it just isn't a big calorie burner.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html/

Train to progress your fitness, strength, hypertrophy and sporting goals not some irrelevant calorie burning advantage.