Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the only people I know who hates Cadbury eggs. To me they are sweet to the point of making me nauseous. As a child I would give them away to my siblings :confounded:

Nope, I think they're pretty gross, too. I also don't like those Lindt truffles. They make me gag. LOL
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I've had both female and male trainers and found i get on with either of them, and don't do body comparisons. Of course they're fitter than me, thats what i pay them for.

I've also just taken delivery of some multi-weight dumb bells to do arm/shoulder workouts at home in Devon (my gym/trainer is in london).
    Yeah it's definitely a problem with me. I have pretty bad anxiety and am always thinking that people on the street are judging me, even if I know it's not the case.

I got some grapefruit yesterday after not having it in forever and this stuff is sooooo good.

Ah so maybe working out at home, with some youtube videos might be the way forward for you? Have a look for bodyweight exercises, no equipment needed.
    I've been meaning to get started on squatting and stuff :tongue: I know people stress that having good form is EXTREMELY important, and it's probably easy to mess up... maybe whenever my brother's around he can show me what to do.
    I'm one of the only people I know who hates Cadbury eggs. To me they are sweet to the point of making me nauseous. As a child I would give them away to my siblings :confounded:

Nope, I think they're pretty gross, too. I also don't like those Lindt truffles. They make me gag. LOL
    I think I like the Lindt truffles, if they are what I think they are :lol: I don't like candy corn though. I haven't had it in about a decade but if I didn't like it as a kid I doubt I'd like it now.

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I agree that weight lifting is really interesting to me. I love all the results the ladies around here are getting! What's stopping me is anxiety... I just cannot bring myself to wander into the weight section with all those big men. I'm thinking about making my own, relatively cheap weights at home. Has anyone done this?

Also you guys have done a good job at making me crave bananas. Especially a cold banana smoothie...

@FluffySandwich I absolutely promise you those big men will help you! Perfect example happened to be 1 hour ago. I was casually doing the first set of my 120lb squats when one of the regular guys (he is HUGE, like muscles EVERYWHERE. He was Over head pressing 140lbs by the way :o ) Came up and said that I'm doing really good, deep squats but he noticed on the last one I started to arch my back, so next time before I lift the bar off the rack to make sure I tuck my elbows under the bar and and it should lock my back straight. Which it did! And it made them a lot more comfortable.
    If anything I think men have a lot of respect for women who walk into the weight section.

Edit because I don't know why I put deadlifting when it was OHP
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Also I used to be a Girl Scout and sell cookies, but back then we didn't have Savannah Smiles (and I thought tagalongs and do-si-dos were peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter patties?). I wish we had those because my name is Savannah and it might have helped me promote the cookie :sunglasses:

The Savannah Smiles are my favorite GS cookie. I can eat a whole box by myself and may have done so this past spring...
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    CosmoTI wrote: »
    I agree that weight lifting is really interesting to me. I love all the results the ladies around here are getting! What's stopping me is anxiety... I just cannot bring myself to wander into the weight section with all those big men. I'm thinking about making my own, relatively cheap weights at home. Has anyone done this?

Also you guys have done a good job at making me crave bananas. Especially a cold banana smoothie...

I am also scared of the weight room. But I was fed up of letting this put me off , so I sourced some relatively cheap basic equipment to start me off. Barbell, a few dumbells etc. I do my weights in my spare room where no one can see me and I check my form on the many you tube videos you can find on the subject. Hopefully I'll eventually progress to the gym as I don't have room for loads of equipment but doing it this way means I'm at least making some progress. And I have to say, I am loving it so far. Early days for me still but hopefully the love continues. I think what I like most is the feeling of achievement by realising what my body is capable of lifting even in the early stages. That and also, the other day I had my 7 yr old niece round. She looked at my barbell and said' Can you really lift that Aunty Cosmo (not my real name!) and when I responded that I could, she said' Wow, you must be really strong' I felt awesome! One of the reasons I am trying to get fit is to set a good example for my 4 nieces. They have bad examples from elsewhere and I want them to know you don't have to starve yourself or spend 3 hours a day on the treadmill in the gym to be healthy. (sorry for the epic post - seems now I've started I just can't shut up)

What a great example you are to your nieces! It's really unfortunate that kids are so exposed so such achievable ideals. It just makes life difficult from the beginning. Wtg you!

P.S. epic posts are fine :wink:
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

@FluffySandwich I absolutely promise you those big men will help you! Perfect example happened to be 1 hour ago. I was casually doing the first set of my 120lb squats when one of the regular guys (he is HUGE, like muscles EVERYWHERE. He was deadlifting 140lbs by the way :o ) Came up and said that I'm doing really good, deep squats but he noticed on the last one I started to arch my back, so next time before I lift the bar off the rack to make sure I tuck my elbows under the bar and and it should lock my back straight. Which it did! And it made them a lot more comfortable.
    If anything I think men have a lot of respect for women who walk into the weight section.
    Thanks for this! I think I really need to open my mind up more to the idea and just go for it. One good experience should make it easier to go the next time, and so on.

EDIT: Now I need to try some Savannah Smiles!
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    I don't know what candy corn is.

I am waiting for my new dumb bells to be delivered so i can commence awesome arm workouts

They look like jelly traffic cones. Can't say that I have tried them to be honest
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »

I am waiting for my new dumb bells to be delivered so i can commence awesome arm workouts

You don't know what candy corn is???? How is that possible? Well it is a Halloween staple in the US. I have no idea how common it is in other parts of the world. I can't think of how to describe it except it's basically pure sugar in like a pyramid shape and it's 3 stacked colors orange, yellow and brown. Hence the eating them in sections by color.

Have they changed the color? I could have sworn that the ones I ate were white, yellow, and orange!
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Would you like a gross confession? I will give you a gross confession. Don't say I didn't warn you.

There's this thing called 'baby brain' or 'pregnancy brain' which I thought was a bit of a myth but might just have something to it. I've found myself of late nearly leaving the house with no shoes on, or putting the milk in the oven and other such random things. I put it down to having more important/interesting/cute things to think about.

Well the other night I went for a pee but forgot to pull my knickers down! I pulled down my trousers and just plain forgot I had knickers on at all. In my defense, they were tiny knickers and I can't see past my bump anymore. But still. Gross. Only noticed when I went to wipe. Argh! Knickers went straight in the washing machine. Thank goodness it was only a number one (they'd have gone in the bin!).

Told you it was a gross confession.

HA HA HA I've never heard of baby brain either but that is hilarious! Sound like something I would do drunk to be honest.
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    Also I used to be a Girl Scout and sell cookies, but back then we didn't have Savannah Smiles (and I thought tagalongs and do-si-dos were peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter patties?). I wish we had those because my name is Savannah and it might have helped me promote the cookie :sunglasses:

I just recently learned this, but two different companies make the Girl Scout companies and use mostly different names because of copyrights. Hence the different names. That said, I don't recall ever tasting or seeing a Girl Scout cookie in my life, although my mom says I did when we were in the U.S. and I was like... Three. :p
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I started my fitness journey about 3 weeks ago. My initial weight was 215 lbs. and I am now at 203 lbs. I follow a strict Low-Carb diet ( 1500 calories) and a 25-minute fitness program. I want to reach 160 lbs. in the next 3 months. Any fitness and health advice are welcome and a special person to be my inspiration. :blush:

Congrats on the weight loss so far.

A few questions:

1. Do you have a medical condition to eat low carb?
    2. Why do you want to reach 160 pounds in 3 months?

My advice is if you don't have a medical condition to eat low carb then don't do it. Most people who eat low carb think they're losing weight since they're limiting their carbs when in reality they're eating less overall than they're burning thus creating a deficit to lose weight. Most once they're down to their desired weight go right back to the way they were eating before & gain weight from eating over their deficit. I always try & tell people to eat in a way that will be sustainable for life. Do you see yourself always limiting carbs once you reach your desired weight?

Why are you only eating 1,500 calories a day? Do you weigh your food on a food scale? If not then you could be eating way more than you think. Since you're a 34 year old male I am sure you would need a lot more than 1,500 calories a day. You should look up Scooby's accurate calorie calculator & input your numbers in there & see what it tells you to eat.

Why do you have to reach 160 pounds in 3 months? Event coming up?

Some people do better on low carb...like myself. I feel better, I sleep better...I think everyone is different.

Ditto. I haven't had pasta, rice or a sandwich in 7-8 weeks and I really don't care. I allow myself some potato every now and then. Some people adapt to low carb quite well, and I do think I could do this for the rest of my life. I miss fruit the most, but once I reach my goal weight I can lift it up to 100-150g carbs a day and easily squeeze in fruit :smile:
    I say don't knock it til you try it.

Edit, I'm a bit behind on this thread so apologies

I think I'd miss fruit the most too. I'm happy it's working out so well for you!!

I get sad when I go food shopping and have to walk past all the bright coloured fruit and just head for the veg. Courgette (zucchini I believe in America?) is my new best friend. :yum:

Do you like spaghetti squash? Every now & then I will make that & put a little salad dressing on it or chicken.

I've never heard of this! I've seen spaghetti courgette but not squash. Is it pre-spaghettied or do you have to do it yourself?

It is a squash that when cooked, comes out of the cut half like spaghetti strands. It is a good replacement for actual spaghetti noodles. I use it quite a bit. The texture is more like al dente spaghetti, a bit crunchy but it works. Google it or if you have Pinterest, look it up.

Its disgusting Don't do it.

I think Nicci and I are the same person. I agree. It is disgusting. DON'T DO IT. I am going to judge here, I think the only people who like it are people who eat it because they think its healthy. Like people fool themselves into believing zucchini is good for them and tasty. Its an illusion. You are all nuts.

I like it, but I find it to be really hard to cook correctly. I'm a decent cook, but not when it comes to spaghetti squash. I can't seem to get it to come out as anything other than a big lump of mush.

Roasting works for me. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and pulp, then rub the insides with olive oil. Bake upside down at 350 for about 45 minutes, and done. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

You don't know what candy corn is???? How is that possible? Well it is a Halloween staple in the US. I have no idea how common it is in other parts of the world. I can't think of how to describe it except it's basically pure sugar in like a pyramid shape and it's 3 stacked colors orange, yellow and brown. Hence the eating them in sections by color.

We don't have it in the UK...i think. I've never seen it or heard or it and my grandparents used to own a sweet shop.

Candy_corn_strewn_on_a_black_background.jpg

Candy corn. They're small, probably less than an inch high. Dominant flavour is pure sugar, no resemblance to corn whatsoever.

This is the coloring I remember. The brown reference was very confusing. :D
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options

We don't have it in the UK...i think. I've never seen it or heard or it and my grandparents used to own a sweet shop.

Candy corn. They're small, probably less than an inch high. Dominant flavour is pure sugar, no resemblance to corn whatsoever.

The brown ones are "Indian" corn. They also come in approximately 65 different color combinations and flavors now though. Some fall-inspired (caramel apple), and some just weird (cotton candy).
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options

The brown ones are "Indian" corn. They also come in approximately 65 different color combinations and flavors now though. Some fall-inspired (caramel apple), and some just weird (cotton candy).

Are they hard? I'm quite intrigued, should've tried them when I was in America.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »

Candy corn is unheard of in the UK. I only know what it is because I make dollhouse miniatures for a US-centric market and kept seeing other miniaturists making them. I've no idea what they actually taste of having never seen a real-life one.

In good news I went for a swim today. It was very slow-going but at least I went. Also my one-piece costume now only just fits. I had to model it in front of the hubby to check nothing was trying to escape 'down there'. With the growing bump I can't see for myself anymore! Time for a new swimming costume methinks.

It's phrases like these that make me love the international dynamic we have in here.

Confession: I took today off with the intention of getting lots of homework done. I'm now thinking about baking something and watching documentaries all day. Motivation fail. ;)

Sounds like a perfect day to me- WIN!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

You'd have to look really hard to find them if it's not fall, they come out usually September to December then they're gone again!
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I have a question...anyone can answer it, but I'm definitely focusing it towards those who lift...are you finding you're having to eat more? I am hungry all the time now! I'm eating more and not gaining weight which is good, but I feel like I'm scared to eat too much after trying to lose weight. I don't really want to lose any more weight, and I know I need to eat enough to support my lifting goals. Anyone want to share their weight, height, calorie intake, and exercise level??

Unless anyone thinks this will hijack the thread...if so, I can ask the question in the bat cave!

I know it seems like a standard response, but have you upped your protein? A.) It fills you up pretty good and B.) you might be craving it for muscle repair. I still suck at protein, I'm supposed to have a second shake between lunch and dinner but I always forget.

I'm usually around 115 grams of protein, so I think I'm good on that. I might need to add an extra shake though...
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

You'd have to look really hard to find them if it's not fall, they come out usually September to December then they're gone again!

Maybe the different colors only come out during the fall but you can find candy corn anytime of the year. I know this because I love candy corn!! I swear nothing is too sweet for me. There was a nice older lady I used to work with that would bring me a bag of candy corn just because. I don't usually buy it because I will eat until I get a stomach ache. I also like to eat it one color at a time and the orange, yellow & white ones are the best.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

@FluffySandwich I absolutely promise you those big men will help you! Perfect example happened to be 1 hour ago. I was casually doing the first set of my 120lb squats when one of the regular guys (he is HUGE, like muscles EVERYWHERE. He was deadlifting 140lbs by the way :o ) Came up and said that I'm doing really good, deep squats but he noticed on the last one I started to arch my back, so next time before I lift the bar off the rack to make sure I tuck my elbows under the bar and and it should lock my back straight. Which it did! And it made them a lot more comfortable.
    Thanks for this! I think I really need to open my mind up more to the idea and just go for it. One good experience should make it easier to go the next time, and so on.

EDIT: Now I need to try some Savannah Smiles!

@FluffySandwich I think I've mentioned this before, but my boyfriend is one of those big dudes in the gym. He says he is always happy to help anyone that asks a question or needs a spot. Don't be intimidated!! :)
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I eat zucchini almost every day. Just raw, sliced into coins, and dipped into spicy mustard!!! Nom nom nom.

No judgement but EWWW HOW?! I tried it raw once, nope never again. Now cooked with some lemon juice nomnom