What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• swadepgh
    swadepgh Posts: 11 Member
    Options

That people will ask you why you keep working out if you already look good. Or tell you that you don't need to work out anymore.

Yes I DO! You wanna know why? Because I L :heart: VE FOOD!

Haha. I am right there with you. I work out every day so I can have a glass of wine! :blush:

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    You suddenly realize the dryer really wasn't shrinking all your clothes.

Yes!!!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    You will be hungry pretty much all the time unless you have a cheat day.

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

This might be true for you but it is not true for everyone. Some days are like this for me, however most are not.

I think it's kind of harsh to say "they are lying" because I think there's a lot of people who don't feel hungry all the time. Sadly I'm not one of them. I do agree though that it's annoying that people on MFP tend to jump to the conclusion that if we'd change what we eat we'd miraculously stop being hungry just because that's what happened to them. I suspect that for me part of the issue is that I ate healthily even when I was fat. Soda (apart from diet coke which I've ditched), junk food, processed food were never particularly on the menu so I wasn't able to benefit by cutting them out. I ate too much plain and simple. To lose weight I have to severely restrict the quantities I can eat. There's no way around that.

I constantly look at the portions other people eat and am amazed by how small they are... I just wish my body would be satisfied with that.

Where exactly did I say they were lying?
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You suddenly realize the dryer really wasn't shrinking all your clothes.
    Oh my gosh yes!! I use to get so mad if a certain top got put in the dryer, have to stretch it out again, or give up on it. and now i'm like come on shrink so I can wear you!!! LOL
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    @thankyouforthevenom.

You didn't. It's the other person I quoted. I was replying to them. You need to click on "show previous quotes" to see the full thing that was quoted.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    @thankyouforthevenom.

You didn't. It's the other person I quoted. I was replying to them. You need to click on "show previous quotes" to see the full thing that was quoted.

I did. I am the last person quoted. Seems it was just a mistake so I'll leave it at that.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It's not a mistake. It's obvious that when I quoted a phrase I was replying to the person WHO SAID THAT PHRASE. You know the person whose comments I'd also pasted in.

Your comment was also pasted in because my reply in general was pointing out that I agree that not everyone feels the way the person described (although I do).

I'm sorry if this is difficult for you to understand.

You should apologize for not knowing how to delete/separate quotes and making yourself difficult to understand.
  • BodyByBex
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "
    You will be hungry pretty much all the time unless you have a cheat day.

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

I think it's kind of harsh to say "they are lying" because I think there's a lot of people who don't feel hungry all the time. Sadly I'm not one of them. I do agree though that it's annoying that people on MFP tend to jump to the conclusion that if we'd change what we eat we'd miraculously stop being hungry just because that's what happened to them. I suspect that for me part of the issue is that I ate healthily even when I was fat. Soda (apart from diet coke which I've ditched), junk food, processed food were never particularly on the menu so I wasn't able to benefit by cutting them out. I ate too much plain and simple. To lose weight I have to severely restrict the quantities I can eat. There's no way around that.

This might be true for you but it is not true for everyone. Some days are like this for me, however most are not.

I have to agree with you @thankyou4thevenom

I constantly look at the portions other people eat and am amazed by how small they are... I just wish my body would be satisfied with that."

^^^That^^^^ is probably how you meant to post @Xiaolongbao
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    It's not a mistake. It's obvious that when I quoted a phrase I was replying to the person WHO SAID THAT PHRASE. You know the person whose comments I'd also pasted in.

Your comment was also pasted in because my reply in general was pointing out that I agree that not everyone feels the way the person described (although I do).

You quoted me as the last person. Usually you're replying to the last person who's quoted. So I am very confused as to why you're getting so angry.
  • BodyByBex
    Options

You quoted me as the last person. Usually you're replying to the last person who's quoted. So I am very confused as to why you're getting so angry.

They don't know how to make themselves easily understood and they understand themselves just fine so it is frustrating them. Not necessarily angering them.

I read this as them being frustrated that you cannot understand their way of communicating, not as anger.

Communicating effectively on these forums isn't the most difficult thing for you and I, @thankyou4thevenom, but it isn't easy or quick to learn for a lot of people.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Nobody told me I would become cranky if I missed a workout. Or that there would come a time when I would look FORWARD to a run.

That improving your time by a minute could put you on cloud 9 for an ENTIRE day and it would feel like nothing bad could touch you. :innocent:
  • angiemystik
    angiemystik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow
    Beanogirl wrote: »
    You will lose some friends who see you as a threat! Just let them go.....

that is sad. Obviously they werent real friends to begin with.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    I agree with you @angiemystik.

Real friends are more like this:
    That sometimes your friends are genuinely proud of you. I was showing my friend before and after pictures. Instead of doing the usual 'well done that's amazing' she welled up, kissed me on my forehead and told me how proud and happy she was for me. It was an emotional shift I just didn't see coming!

Or in the case of my friend who hadn't seen me for a month, she greeted me with a hug and a "You're so TINY! Let's go to (insert our old bar hangout)! I wanna show you off!"
  • angiemystik
    angiemystik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :) thats awesome

That sometimes your friends are genuinely proud of you. I was showing my friend before and after pictures. Instead of doing the usual 'well done that's amazing' she welled up, kissed me on my forehead and told me how proud and happy she was for me. It was an emotional shift I just didn't see coming!

Or in the case of my friend who hadn't seen me for a month, she greeted me with a hug and a "You're so TINY! Let's go to (insert our old bar hangout)! I wanna show you off!"

• silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options

That's fantastic :smile: I wish all my friends were like this!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

That's fantastic :smile: I wish all my friends were like this!

I am lucky that most of my friends have been of this variety! Love them. My two best friends expected my Monday weigh in reports to cheer me on and keep me going if they weren't good. The people that were not so supportive were the acquaintances

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!