WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    Got a question:

Do you think I am being overly sensitive re: Amanda, Andy and Aiden? My initial feeling is that if we hadn't let them stay at our house, they would (according to Amanda) have to have saved up to be able to rent a hotel room. By staying with us, they didn't have this cost.

I wasn't thinking of inviting them to the pool social but Jess invited them, so it was OK. I just thought they might feel out of place with all the "old" people. Well, I knew they would be bringing their son so I asked another member if she could bring her grandsons so that Aiden would have someone to play with.

As it turns out, at the social Andy and Amanda got to really talking to Bryan and Linda, which is fine. Bryan and Linda are probably younger than us, they have a son in college. A&A went to their house for dinner last night, which is fine. I'm glad they're making friends.

But to be 1-1/2hr late? To me, that's a bit rude. Andy said that he was under the impression that he was supposed to be here at 6, only they didn't get here until 6:30. I think Andy had something he wanted to do in
    Gastonia and that took precedence. He was saying about how he was trying out for a band or something along those lines.

He didn't bring his insulin. Heather, I should have listened to you and had a cheese tray for him. He couldn't eat any dessert. But Aiden had like 3 pieces of pie and I gave him a plate of cookies to take home.

Well, I'm just not going to continue to reach out. I don't expect them to constantly be thanking us, but I just thought it a bit rude to be that late. I wonder if this is going to make any impression on their son?

Michele in NC
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I guess when I say that I don't have enough time I'm trying to be realistic. I am working on the logging of my food and exercise in MFP which has a learning curve of its own even without trying to get it to work accurately across 3 different devices (Amazon Fire, computer, and iPhone... I'm pretty techie, but maybe was trying to do too much at once. When I started I was also trying out another app to decide which to use, and when something would not quite work the way I expected or wanted, got frustrated and almost wanted to quit altogether, but then decided to concentrate solely on MFP for a month or so. I am coming along so far, and it is getting better as I get used to the app and get some of my regular foods and exercises added. It is taking less time to do my entries now.

I have about 60 #s to lose. I am at 192, and would like to get to 135, at least to begin with. For my diabetes, my last l labs in June had my A1c at 8.2 and I definitely want that to go down, as would my Dr. My next appt is the 28th of Sept.

I live approx 2 miles from work and have started to walk home (I take the bus in to work.). This has given me some more exercise in my routine. I would rather do that than have to find time to add exercise into my schedule. :)
    Heather, I love Kathy Reichs books, as well as Sara P...ski (blanking on her
    name). I like all the medical and forensic information I learn in Reichs' books, and Sara P's books are set in Chicago. She is another U of Chicago grad like me. I mostly read history or biography, but grab some of the fiction books occasionally. I like the Kellermans, both of them, although their son's book was a little dark for my taste. Oliver Sacks was a great writer too. And anything about the plasticity and training of the brain is fascinating ...

I think you're looking for Paretsky.... I have also read a few of her books, but it's been a while.

Elaine in Michigan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janie: Welcome to the Women 50+ thread! It feels like you've been part of this group forever, but I know that isn't quite true. I use a laptop for 99% of my posting, and don't know all that much about tablets. I keep a word document open on my laptop beside the thread, and make comments on the word document as I read the thread. Then I cut and paste the word document into the thread and do my best to fix typos and spelling errors. DH has an ipad and says he can keep two things open & toggle back and forth between them. I hope we'll see you often. :smiley:

Laurie: I have also lost weight in the past and regained it. I've lost about 72 pounds since starting MFP and have kept them off for a couple of years now. The practical advice and moral support here has kept my spirits up and helped me feel success is possible. I have listed my monthly goals at the bottom of this page. I've been using these same goals for a couple of years now because they work for me. Join the conversation and post often. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I'm happy that you've had a little rest and a big helping of family support while Charlie is in the hospital. For a while there you seemed to be on your own. This is better. :heart:

Becca: Lovely picture of you and your son. :heart:

Sue: The wiring in the barn is worrying. I hope Dear Nephew can get it all sorted out. :flowerforyou:

Rori: Congratulations on the job change. Will there be a difference in the amount you travel? I would love to get together while we're in CO and hope it will be possible. I will send you a message when the details of family obligations are clear. :bigsmile:

Dr Katiebug: You are not the only one who misses some posts. I know I do. I don't like the idea that you feel behind. Jump in when you can, and we'll be happy to see you. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I'm so happy to hear that Jess will be able to be there when Vince has his procedure. Even a whirlwind visit can be a blessing. Thanks for the safe travels wish. So far we're having a great trip. :bigsmile:

We're about a third of the way to CO at DSIL's house tonight and tomorrow. We plan to arrive at DD's on Wednesday. We had an easy drive today. It wasn't easy for some other travelers. There was a motor home burned from roof to floor on the other side of the road in the westbound lanes. The police were on hand, and there was a very big backup of traffic. I hope no one was hurt in the fire. We couldn't tell. There were no ambulances in sight. They either weren't needed or had already come and gone. We were in the east bound lanes and there were no problems for us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Popping in just to say Hi. Got a busy day today.
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Heather, I am aware that there are different “British accents” but trust me, they are “British accents” to us. Lol What do us Yanks know??? We love them all. I saw a sorta spoof on Americans and how we treat people from the UK and it was hilarious to hear them say Water, the way you probably do and then say it the way many Americans do; “Wadder”. The Brits would have to say that to get the Americans to understand them. I hope you can talk DH into another trip over here!!!
    DJ's comment to Heather about how "water" is pronounced reminded me of an experience I had when I first moved from Sweden to Norway. Swedish for water is "vatten". Norwegian has dropped the Ts and calls it "vann". On a flight between Stockholm and Oslo I asked the Norwegian stewardess for "vatten" - and she brought me Fanta.

Oh, and I'm definitely going to try the frozen grape trick!

/Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone - I haven't been on for two days as something happened to my bookmark so finally did a search today. Now I'm catching up on all the news. Would someone please tell me what the 'D" stands for as in DH, DSIL, etc. I have the rest figured out but can think of a lot of things the D could be depending on how you are feeling toward the person on any given day . . . LOL.
  • Lagopus
    edited September 2015
    Options
    D stands for ... you got it right ... Depends

Sometimes it's Dear or Darling, and sometimes it's Darn, Dratted, D***headed or some other choice adjective.

You have to figure that out from the context >:)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Second cup of coffee brewing, so I'm feeling a teensy bit more verbal... and some headwork to do on my homework. Am trolling all over the web trying to find the simplest way to deal with kicking in overhead percentages to add to plate costs so I can get a good idea how much to add to each plate... Right now, labor and infrastructure costs are 145% of the sales, so there's a lot more work to be done to get this right.

Off to the races... best to all of you.

Lisa in sunny, dusty West Texas
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Lagopus
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mere labor and infrastructure is 145% of sales? Before you even buy food to offer the guests so you can make some sales? Houston, you've got a problem.

No, wait a minute, you're in WEST Texas... Best of luck with your figgerin' Lisa!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Cpap users ... What do you do when you have heavy nasal congestion from a cold or allergies? Younger son could not use his cpap last night (he has a nose only mask). Said he couldn't breathe.

Today does not look like it will be a good day. Both son and husband went off on me last night when I was trying to come up with solutions to help son??? Very nasty and I'm not sure why I was being treated so poorly. Yes, it was midnight when I discovered son wasn't using his cpap, but they had just gone to bed. I'm the one who was awakened from a sound sleep! To be honest, my feelings are hurt right now. Husband has been short tempered a lot lately (he has work stress and health issues and he's getting tired of my hearing loss), but that doesn't justify nastiness. Maybe I'm just being over sensitive ... If I had somewhere to go last night, I would have left. Terri... It is time for me to find a tiara!

I'm looking at catching up on housework today ... I'm not a hot weather fan, so will stay in the AC as much as I can.

Eating was off a little yesterday, but I caught it early ... Only 100 cals over goal so that was better than lately.

Joyce ... I am thinking of you daily ... Praying today and tomorrow go well and you are given God's assurance and peace that everything is in His hands. It is you know. Hugs.

Beth

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,315 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Joyce, Beth - thinking of you and your "loved" ones. >:)<3 It's always a mix, isn't it. ;)

DJ - in London the cockneys say "Waw uh." Really. :laugh: Real, working class Glaswegian is a puzzle even for me!

Well, we are in a pickle here in London. I got a phone call on the train to say the family had all set off to the hospital as DDIL had pains, maybe bladder. Of course I immediately thought the worst, but remembered Barbie's "stay in the moment". We went to the hospital and found DS and the grandkids in the café. Got them and us lunch and then DS went back to the ward and we took the kids home on the tube and train, with the pushchair! DGD is now asleep and DH is playing with DGS. DH has come back to pick up night stuff for her. We will stay on later, feed and put the kids to bed and have to change trains as there are no direct ones late on.
    They have childcare organised for tomorrow.
    It seems to be a problem with the cervix obstructing the urethra so she may have to be catheterised for a while. Hope not. The first scan is scheduled for tomorrow so she will be there for that. She had 2 litres of retained urine.! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Oh well. Glad we were here to help!

Love Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Elaine, Thank you. Yes, Paretski. That is what I was thinking it was, but for some reason doubted myself. So I guess I wasn't blocking on the name, just thought I was! LOL

Beth, I use a nasal decongestant spray if I am congested. Otherwise, I would not be able to use the CPAP. And I ONLY use it at night. With the nasal decongestant sprays, you can have rebound congestion in the morning. If you continue to use it every 12 hours, then you end up never being able to stop. But I find that I can use it only nightly for the duration of a cold and have no problem afterwards. Also, if it is a frequent problem, he can ask his doctor for a nasal steroid spray, especially if the congestion is caused by allergies. I was prescribed one recently for other reasons, and have had no need for the decongestant spray. It does take the decongestant spray about half an hour to get the nasal passages cleared enough.

I had the grandkids for the last two days. My girls, my adult son, and the Gkids had a great time playing! We got a chance to swim in a friend's pool yesterday during the heat, so that was an added bonus. My girls cleaned up the disaster after breakfast this morning too. So a nice couple of days!

Son wearing hat the 4 year old put on him so he could be "Mary Poppins".
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Michelle - I'd have been peeved too if I had dinner ready and they showed up an hour and a half later. My step kids do stuff like that. Or show up and say we just ate, not hungry. Ugh.

Heather - oh my, sending good thots for DDIL. Glad you guys were there to help. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Miriamwithcats ... Thank you. I will pick up some nasal decongestant spray today and go from there.

Heather ... My philosophy on marriages ... "Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield."

Interesting ... I'm sitting quietly in my chair ... Son and husband are both up now. Each has found me and while neither have apologized, both are acting contrite and are very interested in my well being this morning. Husband just made the coffee and brought some to me ... This is not a usual occurrence. I think I will just continue with a polite attitude and see where this goes.

Beth
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Becca, thank you for your insight into your kitchen. Love the photos ....

DH is out of town for a few days so I know I can get in some super clean eating before my weigh in on Wednesday.

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »

To Susan in MN, I am from Georgia, but my DH is from Itasca County, grew up in Nashwauk. His parents moved to Grand Rapids after his dad retired. We've taken day trips to Bemidji a time or two when the kids were little.
    . That's amazing my husband grew up in Hibbing and lived in Grand Rapids many years! He probably knows your husbands family !!!

Very possibly. His paternal grandparents owned and ran the newspaper in Nashwauk until they were both killed in a car accident while on vacation. I don't put my real name on here, because I don't want my posts to be found by Google, but it's Norwegian. That is enough hints if he knows them.

Totally understand the need for privacy. It is a very interesting story, I will ask DH if he recognizes it. Hope you have a wonderful Monday !
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies and Happy Labor Day to those of you that Labor,

DrKatie and Carol NC, waving as you float through the thread and hoping you are both doing well. I know you don’t always have time to post and it is often very difficult to keep up, but sending you both (((((Hugs))))).

Joyce, so glad you had your family for all the things they were able to contribute. Really glad you got some rest. In the days ahead, just remember that we are all with you in spirit and you have lots of love and prayers going your way. You are so much stronger than even you know, so hang in there. ((((((Hugs))))))

Michele, I love it when you do the Butt and Gutt DVDs. Just cause I like to say it. moon.gif(Butt and Gutt) LOL I love chicken, thank goodness so I’m fine with having it 5 times a week. You can just do so much with it and the calories beat beef at every meal. When you have all these whirlwind visits, just be sure to concentrate on you some. I know you’ll be happy to get the procedure behind you both. It was very rude for them to be so late for dinner, but the bottom line is, you need to be pissed and then get over it. It is not worth you spending another minute of negative energy even giving it a thought. You have reached out and done your part so my suggestion is for you to just move past it. o:)

Elaine, there is definitely a learning curve for most of us when starting MFP. I had never counted calories in my life. It did get much easier after I had many of the foods I eat logged once so I didn’t have to spend time searching for them. Good luck with getting that A1C number down. Mine dropped to 5.2 after losing 55 pounds. That has been one of the best things yet on my journey. Good for you on those walks home. Keep up the good work.

Katla, I always find it a bit unsettling to see something like a wreck when we are traveling. Please stay safe and have a great time at all your stops.

Penny, I’ll bet it can really get tricky with all the languages over there. At least here in the US, it’s just all the different accents and local slangs. Ya shouldda said Wadder. Lol Loved your response to Lisa on the food costs. ROFL

Beth, sorry you got hurt last night at the attacks. I’d probably tell them how I feel and how hurt I am, but that is just me. Hope it’s a better day today.

Heather, so sorry to hear about your DDIL. I pray that all is okay and can be corrected easily. ((((Hugs)))))

Miriam, it sounds like a good time with the family. Glad ya’ll got to take a dip in the heat.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The TV in my bedroom turned on this morning at 5:00, all by itself. DH was already up and said there was a power surge so I’m guessing that is what caused it. Either that or there was a ghost in the room? Time to go get some exercises done then get ready for our Cook Out. It is raining steadily but there is plenty of room inside at the club. I am sending good thoughts for all of you to have a wonderful day.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Quote from Beth:
    Heather ... My philosophy on marriages ... "Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield."

DH and I got a good laugh from this one. Thanks for sharing, Beth!

Heather DDIL OUCH!

Becca love pictures of your handsome sons.

Miriam great picture of your son. Love the hat!

Joyce what great support from your family.

Katla agree with DJ seeing an accident is unsettling. I try to say a prayer for all concerned when I see it. A good reminder for me I to be extra careful as I face the ten hour drive ahead.

Penny like your response about considering the D in context.

Weather turned here. A delightful day ahead.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Happy Labor Day! My DH and I just got home from a walk. He works from home today so we will be able to do things together. We spent most of the day yesterday shopping and didn't get the wall taken down in the cabin. We bought paint for the outside of cabin and house trim. Its been raining here the last two days and we need to wait 48 hours to paint so I won't be able to do it until the end of the week. Wednesday Margaret, Gayle and I are meeting down in Mpls. My sister is also going to have hip replacement surgery so I will stay down there until Thursday. Maybe if I'm gone long enough my DH will do it!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota