What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    That I would become somewhat (a lot) judgemental about others food choices. I'm so sorry!!! I just want to help (i don't say anything out loud) But when the lady at work is cramming a 1000+ calorie meal in her piehole (yes I looked it up on mfp) and complaining about HOW SHE CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE WEIGHT it's so hard to not say then put that down.
    I want to lead everyone to MFP but it's the horse to water thing right?!

Omfg yes! Me too

So glad I'm not alone.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You suddenly realize the dryer really wasn't shrinking all your clothes.

..then you get to the point where you are willing your dryer to shrink your favourite jeans because they're getting too baggy to wear :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    Nobody tells you that if you have very light skin, the veins will show more and more as you lose weight.

The body creates extra blood vessels to oxygenate the fatty tissue, when that fatty tissue diminishes, there are a lot of veins near the skin. It doesn't really bother me, and it isn't ugly, but it is noticeable. :)

This happened to me, too, mostly the backs of my hands and forearms.

• tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That sometimes your friends are genuinely proud of you. I was showing my friend before and after pictures. Instead of doing the usual 'well done that's amazing' she welled up, kissed me on my forehead and told me how proud and happy she was for me. It was an emotional shift I just didn't see coming!

That's lovely! I have a similar thing with a friend who lives overseas that I see maybe a few times a year - I saw him on Friday night and his first reaction when he saw me was to bellow across the room 'You look FANTASTIC'. Made my week :)
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    mcornall88 wrote: »
    You will be hungry pretty much all the time unless you have a cheat day.

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

I must be weird because I'm finding that I'm not constantly starving all the time. When I was eating crappy food and sugary drinks I was always hungry. And grumpy and bloated.

sugar and crap food which quickly converts to it makes your body release insulin which tells you that you are hungry.

Insulin doesn't tell your body that you are hungry. Insulin removes glucose from the blood and converts it to useable energy for use (by muscles and organs) and storage (mostly as fat, though glucose also goes to replenish glycogen stores).

Also, nothing makes my body release insulin. I have type 1 diabetes, so my body is incapable of producing insulin. I take artificial insulin.

Mostly right, however high blood sugar does trigger the release of insulin into the bloodstream by stimulating your pancreas, this converts sugars to glycogen for storage as fats in the liver and fatty tissue (it doesn't change it to a "usable energy" as you say, as glucose is already usable there would be no point).

"Useable energy" for muscles and organs. Without insulin, you cannot use glucose from the blood as an energy source. The glucose just accumulates in blood, causing high BG. High BG puts extra strain on kidneys of course, but the real issue with high BG is a lack of energy.

In laymen's terms, for type 1 diabetics who are not taking insulin, this is what begins the process that kills them. In order to access energy, you make ketones to break down fat for energy... type 1's (and some extreme cases of type 2) can go into a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), where they are subsisting on a fat energy. Someone experiencing this will feel very lethargic and eventually the body will start shutting things down. Next comes a coma and then death. Also, high levels of ketones are toxic and cause a pH imbalance... your kidneys are not only stressed because of high BG, but also trying to clean up ketones. It is common to experience frequent urination, vomiting, and extreme thirst.

I have first-hand experience with serious DKA, during which I lost around 50 lbs. in about a day (towards the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd day without insulin). While a majority of that was water weight that I regained within a week after stabilizing, I lost a significant amount of fat because that is the only thing that my body could use for energy without insulin. So insulin is absolutely necessary to get energy to muscles and organs.

Hi Midwestern,

Don't want to sound argumentative, but this is completely incorrect. Insulin is not required for muscles or organs to uptake and use glucose, please see this link for further information with a plethora of cited medical studies and peer reviews: http://nadeem.no/2012/10/07/glucose-uptake-is-not-insulin-dependant/

The reason you take insulin when you blood sugar is high is to initiate glycogen storage, which reduces your blood sugar and prevents hyperglycemia. Because a type 1 diabetic can't produce insulin means they must start this process themselves. The muscles and organs will naturally uptake what they need via active diffusion, the rest needs storing somewhere, and that's why you take insulin.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I have never enjoyed exercising in my whole life. Now at 51, I get antsy if I don't exercise and I feel so good afterward. That feeling is so weird to me.

I don't even have to think about whether or not my butt will fit into a seat anymore. This used to be a source of axiety for me. I am going on a plane in August and I am excited about fitting in the seat!

This! I frequently fly first class as I work for an airline. I used to get so nervous if I was not able to get a first class seat as I was a little too wide for the economy seats. Now I don't even think about it and just pop myself into my seat not having to worry about rolling over into the seat beside me
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    jswede1149 wrote: »
    ... I have family members jealous because I went from a 3x to a small. They are also jealous that I am out climbing mountains, going out on dates, etc.

3x to a small! Well done!

• Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods.

That was how I started out and I thought it would never change. There are some days I feel like that but most days I get through just fine, with calories kerf over.
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That I would become somewhat (a lot) judgemental about others food choices. I'm so sorry!!! I just want to help (i don't say anything out loud) But when the lady at work is cramming a 1000+ calorie meal in her piehole (yes I looked it up on mfp) and complaining about HOW SHE CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE WEIGHT it's so hard to not say then put that down.

I have tried to get at least three more people to sign up and they like the idea and want to use it but never do. I think my mom might use it, I opened up an account for her on her phone, but she has no idea how to log things and such, she is too timid to just click on the links to see what they do. Anyway, I agree.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

I must be weird because I'm finding that I'm not constantly starving all the time. When I was eating crappy food and sugary drinks I was always hungry. And grumpy and bloated.

sugar and crap food which quickly converts to it makes your body release insulin which tells you that you are hungry.

Insulin doesn't tell your body that you are hungry. Insulin removes glucose from the blood and converts it to useable energy for use (by muscles and organs) and storage (mostly as fat, though glucose also goes to replenish glycogen stores).

Also, nothing makes my body release insulin. I have type 1 diabetes, so my body is incapable of producing insulin. I take artificial insulin.

Mostly right, however high blood sugar does trigger the release of insulin into the bloodstream by stimulating your pancreas, this converts sugars to glycogen for storage as fats in the liver and fatty tissue (it doesn't change it to a "usable energy" as you say, as glucose is already usable there would be no point).

"Useable energy" for muscles and organs. Without insulin, you cannot use glucose from the blood as an energy source. The glucose just accumulates in blood, causing high BG. High BG puts extra strain on kidneys of course, but the real issue with high BG is a lack of energy.

In laymen's terms, for type 1 diabetics who are not taking insulin, this is what begins the process that kills them. In order to access energy, you make ketones to break down fat for energy... type 1's (and some extreme cases of type 2) can go into a state of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), where they are subsisting on a fat energy. Someone experiencing this will feel very lethargic and eventually the body will start shutting things down. Next comes a coma and then death. Also, high levels of ketones are toxic and cause a pH imbalance... your kidneys are not only stressed because of high BG, but also trying to clean up ketones. It is common to experience frequent urination, vomiting, and extreme thirst.

I have first-hand experience with serious DKA, during which I lost around 50 lbs. in about a day (towards the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd day without insulin). While a majority of that was water weight that I regained within a week after stabilizing, I lost a significant amount of fat because that is the only thing that my body could use for energy without insulin. So insulin is absolutely necessary to get energy to muscles and organs.

Hi Midwestern,

Don't want to sound argumentative, but this is completely incorrect. Insulin is not required for muscles or organs to uptake and use glucose, please see this link for further information with a plethora of cited medical studies and peer reviews: http://nadeem.no/2012/10/07/glucose-uptake-is-not-insulin-dependant/

The reason you take insulin when you blood sugar is high is to initiate glycogen storage, which reduces your blood sugar and prevents hyperglycemia. Because a type 1 diabetic can't produce insulin means they must start this process themselves. The muscles and organs will naturally uptake what they need via active diffusion, the rest needs storing somewhere, and that's why you take insulin.

This is not a peer reviewed article. In fact, it looks like this person is pulling a lot of other research, combining in way that may not be logical or proper, and then writing a blog post in a format similar to what you might find in an academic journal. Since I can't find this in a scholarly journal, it was probably rejected if submitted at all. In fact, the author starts out by acknowledging he has been taught differently.

Here's what I know: I've been in DKA and had very very little energy. Glucose was clearly not being transported to muscles and organs... it was staying in the blood. Insulin is necessary for glucose uptake.
  • MicheleCPT
    MicheleCPT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not everyone will support your effort-some, even friends and family, will sabotage your efforts! My father-in-law asked me if I was sick! I lost 30 lbs in 12 weeks by eating right and exercising regularly. I didn't follow any fads. My final goal weight was on the higher end of the recommendation for my sex, age, and height, so I didn't go overboard-he is just used to larger, unhealthy people in the family.
  • zabrinagm1
    zabrinagm1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This thread is amazing!

• elos18
    elos18 Posts: 38 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Recently, I've discovered, as I've lost 91 lbs in nearly 7 months, with 76 lbs left to go-
    That after a lifetime of being overweight, and after a lifetime of shopping in the women's section, having super sized breasts, and having to dress in certain ways because of your weight-
    When those things no longer become true, well it's exciting, of course it is. But it's a little overwhelming, as well. For a few moments you realize you never knew how much you used those things as markers to identify yourself.
    In all of the ways that I pictured myself losing weight, and all of the things I pictured happening, I never pictured myself crying because clothes were too BIG for me, rather than too small, for once.
    So that's something that no one ever told me about losing weight.

This is so profound and already a little bit true for me!

I've only lost 13lbs over 2 months but I'm already starting to worry about what being "slim" could mean for me. I've always been "the big girl" and I'm not sure what would be left if I do succeed in losing a lot of weight. Obviously, I know that I'll still be the same person, perhaps even a "better" person from completing such an awesome journey but.... Well.. Who would I be?! I'm sure I'm not making much sense lol...

I've just had to order some new clothes that are 3 sizes smaller than I was wearing (I wasn't actually 3 sizes bigger, just a bit delusional) and I feel a bit lost that everything I own is too big for me now. Though maybe the fact I'm buying off of EBay so I am literally wearing other people's clothes is contributing to my silly little freak out!

Feeling like this is definately not something I had expected whilst losing weight!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You suddenly realize the dryer really wasn't shrinking all your clothes.

It's hard to believe this is actually a thing. I always knew I was getting fatter and it had nothing to do with my dryer. :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Maybe you could gently point out to her that the meal she is eating is probably half of her daily calories? That way you aren't saying "put that down" but you are giving a wake up call
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!