International Literacy Day.org

5tia65zak84v.jpg

Adversity introduces a man to himself. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How ironic, but I was on here last Tuesday saying the same thing – Happy Tuesday Everyone!! I guess with the long holiday weekend my week just got by me. Last week was good, but busy. I took Friday off as well to give me an extra-long holiday weekend, which was nice. The only problem I had to squeeze a 5-day work week into 4, but it was worth it. On Friday, I spent the day with my friend, Greg. It was great!! Friday night we went to the varsity football game as they announced the younger teams so Cyrus went onto the field. Saturday was pretty uneventful except Cyrus had a game that night. Sunday/Monday we finished chores around the house, laundry, etc. .. We worked on getting Cyrus a bit more organized with his book bag and school work. He did have practice last night, but overall it was great long weekend.

On the eating front, I guess 50/50. I wasn’t completely on track, but not completely off either. I’ve been able to maintain for now. No exercise last week as I was trying to give my heel a break. It does feel better, which is good. I’m going to try and squeeze in a few workouts this week and keep pushing ahead.

@skinnyjeanz (Karen) – I’m sorry to hear the clinical trial isn’t working for your friend. My other GF who lost her husband last December went through something similar. They tried to get into several trials and were finally approved. After about 3 months though, his didn’t work either. So hard to fathom. Positive thoughts to both of our friends as they go through this awful disease. On my heel, I’m just not sure. I’ve had PF before and it doesn’t feel the same. I’m starting to roll my foot more with ice. I’ve never tried orthotics and thought I might start with a heel cup and see if that helps. Cyrus wore his to school today for the first time. I really hope they help him.

@cblue (Lori) – Hugs my friend! Your post on 9/2 is right on target. You will be OK. There will be some tears and hurt ahead, but you will be moving in the right and better direction. We’re here for you!!!

@Laurie – Volunteering is so important and giving back to your community. Unfortunately, it can also be one of the most frustrating and draining processes as well. We’re always much harder on ourselves than we should be. I bet your doing a great job it just doesn’t feel like it. Hang in there and hopefully everything will start to balance out again. Sorry to read about your dad’s challenges this past weekend and back in the hospital, but I’m glad your mom agreed to help at home. You’ll both need a break. Caregiving is so tough. You’re trying so hard to be everything to everyone else, but you don’t take care of yourself in the meantime. I’m glad you were able to climb and ride. I know you enjoy both of those things, but the milkshakes? Wasted calories and you know that. Ice cream is my trigger food in general so I know I just cannot have it. Once I start, its non-stop and downhill from there.

@Grandmakaye – Hugs! You’ve definitely had some lemons thrown your way lately. Praying the drops will work for you. Always stay hopeful!!

@Karenleona – I’m a little late, but I’m smacking you upside the head as requested. Get your gears aligned and get back on track. Baby steps. Don’t try to change everything at once. Pick a goal and stick to it this week. Next week add something else. You’ve CAN and WILL do this!!!!!

@jtconst (Tammy) – Poor Zeus!! How scary that must have been for all of you. Glad he’s on the mend and no permanent damage either.

@kah68 (Kelley) – Thanks for the book tips. I really like Chris Powell’s show, Extreme Weight Loss. The fact they follow them for the whole year and they have to do it on their own too makes a big difference. I had another friend who just had WLS. She’s only in her early 20’s. It just seems so easy now to have done if you have the resources. Even if you have the money it’s MAJOR surgery and there have been so many complications I just wouldn’t take the risk either. Love the Emerald Lake – simply breathtaking.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hello All,
    I have been a bit absent from here lately.
    Sorry no personals. The best I can say is:
    If you are doing well - keep it up.
    If you are not doing well - you know what you need to do, do it.
    All of you who are ging through tough times - Tough times don't last, tough people do.

That being said I am so very glad I have this place to come to.
    Had a rough week last week and then went with a friend to a lake cabin in the far north woods of Wisconsin. Kind of roughing it. No hot water, no showers. I brought along a solar shower and we did showers outside after dark. It worked pretty well. Food went ok not great but no bingeing either.

The best part of the weekend was taking the time for me. I started reading a book that is amazing.
    Choices by Melody Beattie.
    I have been feeling stuck for a long time. I have talked about this before. Now I know that my life will be better. I will have happiness, hope and love in my life again. It will take some time but I will be there.

I took some walks, laid in the hammock, started a journal again. It truly was a re-set. I took pictures of some mushrooms and fungus. Who knew there are purple mushrooms growing in Wisconsin, and some that look like cheese curds. Taking into account that we are "Cheeseheads" I found this amazing. There is an eagle that roosts near the cabin, we could hear it and sometimes see it.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

uo9xtmnjd051.jpg

0t2uwhyaoits.jpg

• tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Morgori wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Literacy Day!

Literacy Day

International Literacy Day.org

5tia65zak84v.jpg

Adversity introduces a man to himself. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom

That's my kind of holiday!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Just a quick check in to update my goals. Logged my food for the first time in a couple of weeks. It wasn't a great day (finishing off Chinese takeaway my DH ordered on Sunday and a cupcake I brought home from the b-day party on Sunday), but at least it's in the books. Plus, now all the junk is out of the house.

I also attempted the core work at home. Crunches and squats were no problem, but my shoulder isn't ready for push ups. The planking was hard, but I managed a 30 second straight arm plank. Not where I was before the injury, but it's something.

September challenge: (for the remaining 23 days at least)
    1. log every BLT 20/23 days-- 1/23
    2. gym or run 5 times
    3. core work 3x/week (crunches, planks, push ups, squats)-- 1/3

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/59 F451 motif analyses
    5. x/41 AP essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sunday-- walk gunner DONE
    Monday-- walk gunner DONE
    Tuesday-- walk gunner NOT DONE + core DONE
    Wednesday-- walk gunner + gym (including core)
    Thursday-- rest day (open house at school)
    Friday-- core (wedding rehearsal)
    Saturday-- rest day (wedding)

2015 Mantra-- "Just 15 minutes"
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi can I come too?
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Tester’s Day!
    On September, 9 1945 the scientists of the Harvard University while testing the computer Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator have found a moth which has got stuck between the contacts of the electromechanical relay. The work they performed required some description, and the word has been found – «debugging» (literally: disposal of an insect) – and nowadays it is used to describe the process of identifying and eliminating bugs which cause a computer to malfunction.
    The removed insect was pasted into the computer log with the entry: “First actual case of bug being found”, and was then transferred to the computer museum.

8pe62zh10zsd.jpg

The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work. ~Harry Golden

11857432.png

Tom
  • susan2396
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!!! Yesterday was good. Eating was on track. No exercise yet, but soon. I'm so cautious now that I've given my heel some rest I hate to aggravate it again, but I know I need my exercise too. The weight comes off so much better when I do both that's for sure.

Cyrus' football team won their first game last night. Hopefully, this is the little confidence boost they needed. I've got some decisions ahead regarding Cyrus. With his size, folks are after him. I've got a good friend whose boyfriend wants to work with Cyrus and get him on track for a possible athletic scholarship. Yes, that's 5 years away, but he really needs to start now. One of the top high schools (AAAAAA) in our area and has been in the state playoffs the past 5 years wants to talk to me about Cyrus. It's only one town over, but if we do this we would have to move and Cyrus would go to this high school. Decisions, decisions. We're going to meet with a potential trainer whose son plays at Auburn in Alabama. I've told Cyrus I can encourage him and provide the tools, but he has to want it and work hard for it. I can't do it for him. I guess we'll see what happens over the next 3-6 months and which direction we take.

@cblue315 (Lori) - What a refreshing weekend! I would need a real shower though. I'm not a roughing it kind of camper, but the nature walk and breathing that air so good for you. Wounds will heal over time. Hugs!!

@sistermargret - Welcome!! This is an open thread so enjoy!!

I can't get over how quiet the threads been. I guess everyone is slammed with school stuff and life. Good time to stay caught up.

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your concern and support. Today I went back to the ophthalmologist for more testing. The drops have lowered my pressures significantly, the field of vision is normal, as was the retinal mapping. Hurray for early diagnosis.
    The dermatologist took a growth from the back of DH's hand yesterday. Today we got a call that it was benign. So it isn't all bad news. We also got moved up by the neurologist, so we see her next week instead of 2 weeks. Really glad about that, too.
    I'm hanging in there!
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Howdy folks,
    Today was a mixed bag and I just could not find my "work groove" Will have to do better soon as I am swamped.
    Hubby has been staying away from home quite a bit. I am sure he finds it difficult to be here with jsut the two of us. Both kids work evenings.
    @grandmakaye44 - So very glad for your news - Yippee!
    @susan2396 - Good news for Cyrus. Scholarships do help so very much. Like you said, he has to want it.
    @Morgori - I love the debugging article. I never knew they taped it in a book.
    @sistermargaret - Welcome, post often so we get to know you, we are a very casual bunch.
    @Nikion901 - I like your new pic. Good for you for giving it one more go.
    @kah68 - Love that pic!

Wednesday wish - That this wound in my heart will heal so I can feel whole again.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish - That my sleep pattern stabilized with the coming of cooler weather; that I get all the trash and recyclbles out to the curb in time on Thursday; that my kittycat is amiable about me getting her to the vet tomorow for her checkup. I like things in three ... so three Wednesday Wishes!

No personals or much talk tonight. Just trying to get myself 'up' for getting to sleep soon.
    Follow-through
    Niki
  • Morgori
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

September 10 is National Hot Dog Day
    Here are today’s five thing to know about Hot Dogs:
    1. It is estimated that over seven billion hot dogs will be eaten by Americans between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
    2. The term “hot dog” is credited to sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan. At a baseball game in New York in 1901, vendors began selling hot dachsund sausages in rolls.
    3. The most popular condiment for adults is mustard, while children prefer ketchup.
    4. The first words Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse ever uttered in a cartoon were “hot dogs” in “The Karnival Kid” in 1929.
    5. The average American is believed to eat approximately 60 hot dogs every year.
    We do survive every moment, after all, except the last one. ~John Updike

11857432.png

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

@Susan~Sounds like some great opportunities are on the horizon for Cyrus! I hope he's on board.
    @Lori~Sounds like you had a peaceful Labor Day weekend, well deserved! Thanks for sharing the pics.
    @Tom~National Hot Dog day is one I can skip, never been a big fan. Shocking, I know! :lol:
    @Kaye~Glad to hear DHs appt with neurologist has been moved up, that much closer to answers.
    @Karen~Are you done with PT on your shoulder now? I hope its improved significantly.

AFM~With the short week and my boss off, its been busy. I'm just plugging along. Followed up with orthopedist this morning, waiting to hear from surgical coordinator to schedule surgery.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I am still here. With son's wedding next weekend, it has been a bit "crazy busy" around here. I will be glad when the event is over and we can focus on other things.
    Labor Day with family was nice.
    Food has been decent; I track some times, not others but have really been trying to keep it under control. Lot's of calories left today so that is good. I getting hungry so should start prepping some veggies for supper.
    My best to all of you. With fall somehow re commitment seems to make a lot of sense.
    Barb
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Actually made it to the gym with my daughter today! Granted it was only for 20 min of cardio but it is a start!
  • sistermargret
    Options
    jtconst wrote: »
    Well had a little bit of drama in my life for the day. My son was outside playing fetch with our dog zues when something went wrong. He somehow got the stick impaled into his mouth. We had to rush him to the vet were they had to sedate him to remove it. It went in at the left hand back corner of his gum and down the side of his throat. There was almost 4 inches of stick stuck in there. By some miracle it managed to miss anything that would have caused major complications and he should be fine. They have him on cautionary antibiotics and an anti inflammatory so there is no swelling in the throat area. He is now up and active and eating so chalk it up to an expensive close call.
    @kaye I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Thankfully it is a condition that is controllable most of the time now.
    @laurie I hope you are able to get some rest this weekend and don't end up sick.
    @Karen hope you are feeling better by the end of the weekend.

Well about time for me to go to bed. Have a great night everyone :)

• sistermargret
    Options
    Hi, I am new. Truth? I worked out twice today so my husband would. This morning a happy 1.5 miles for me. Then, .55 miles with him at twilight. First walk he's had in a month and he calls me fatass. I do weigh more, but he's fatter.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
  • Morgori
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Presidential Proclamation--Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance
    PATRIOT DAY AND NATIONAL DAY OF SERVICE AND REMEMBRANCE, 2011
    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    A PROCLAMATION
    In the aftermath of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the American people demonstrated that in times of hardship, the values that define us do not simply endure -- they are stronger than ever. As a Nation, we responded to unthinkable tragedy with an outpouring of service and goodwill. On that dark day, first responders rushed into a burning Pentagon and climbed the stairs of smoking towers on the verge of collapse, while citizens risked their own health and safety to prevent further heartbreak and destruction. As Americans, we came together to help our country recover and rebuild.
    Today, we pay tribute to the selfless heroes and innocent victims of September 11, 2001, and we reaffirm the spirit of patriotism, service, and unity that we felt in the days and months that followed. By volunteering our time and unique skills, we can enrich communities across our country, and together, we can strengthen our Nation to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
    In the days to come, I ask all Americans to join together in serving their communities and neighborhoods in honor of the victims of the September 11 attacks. Today and throughout the year, scores of Americans answer the call to make service a way of life -- from helping the homeless to teaching underserved students to bringing relief to disaster zones. I encourage all Americans to visit Serve.gov, or Servir.gov for Spanish speakers, to learn more about service opportunities across our country.
    As we join in serving causes greater than ourselves and honoring those we lost, we are reminded of the ways that the victims of 9/11 live on -- in the people they loved, the lives they touched, and the courageous acts they inspired. On Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, we pledge to carry on their legacy of courage and compassion, and to move forward together as one people.
    By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day," and by Public Law 111-13, approved April 21, 2009, the Congress has requested the observance of September 11 as an annually recognized "National Day of Service and Remembrance."
    NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2011, as Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance. I call upon all departments, agencies, and instrumentalities of the United States to display the flag of the United States at half-staff on Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance in honor of the individuals who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. I invite the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and interested organizations and individuals to join in this observance. I call upon the people of the United States to participate in community service in honor of those our Nation lost, to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services, and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time to honor the innocent victims who perished as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
    IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-sixth.
    BARACK OBAMA

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown

11857432.png

Tom
  • susan2396
    Options
    Woo Hoo!!!! It’s Friday!!! I love short weeks. With the long holiday weekend and a short work week, I’ve been a happy girl. Next week will be my first full week of work in a few weeks. Oh well. I’ll just keep smiling and pushing through. Eating has been on target. I worked out last night for the first time in a week or so. It actually felt really good. I think resting my heel was smart. It was a little sore this morning, but feels OK right now. I’m going to try and work out tonight too.

Any fun weekend plans? It will be quiet for us. Cyrus has PT in the AM and football in the PM. Church on Sunday and that’s about it. I’m sure we’ll fill in some other things, but I’m OK being a home body too.

As we remember and never forget 9/11, I just wanted to give an extra shout out to Karen and Laurie. I’m so thankful for our trip to NYC and will never forget the Tunnel to Tower 5K and visiting the Memorial. It’s a trip that I will always remember. Thanks ladies!!!!

@grandmakaye – Great post about your eye appointment, DH’s hand and the earlier neurologist appointment. A little good news has to be nice.

@Nikion901 – Did all your Wednesday Wishes come true? It always feels good to check things off. Hope your sleep gets better too. I battle as well. I was in a good sleep last night until the dog was at my head whimpering at 2 a.m. NO!!! Sure enough she had to go out. I guess that’s better than her peeing on my floor. LOL!!!

@Kah68 – My boss has been out too and with the short week it’s been nice. Busy, but nice. Thank you for your post today. I was working at Arby’s on 9/11 and remember all of us gathered in the conference room watching it on TV. Shocked. Tears. I will NEVER forget.

@Mountmary – It’s hard to believe the wedding is finally here. Good job on the food intake and keeping things under control. You’re doing great!!!

@Karenleona - 20 minutes is awesome!!! Are you going today? You’ve got this. Baby steps.

@Sistermargret – Walking is so good. 1.5 miles is awesome and an added .55. You go girl!!!

@Morgori – Thank you for sharing the Presidential Proclamation and something to always keep nearby as a remembrance.