What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    donnar138 wrote: »
    That when your friends ask you what you are doing to lose weight and you tell them about your healthy eating and working out they look bored...and say they couldn't be bothered to do all that and yet they continue to bore you with moaning about their weight issues.

This! I have a friend who could really use to shed some weight but hates exercise. I keep telling her that 90% of my weightloss has come from diet not from exercise, but just because she knows that I have started running a bit she refuses to believe me and continues keeping cookies next to her bed. It makes me sad because i know that diet really is the way and think she is just using her dislike for exercise as a way to stay miserable.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For me, it's seeing the downward slope in the long view in the weight report. Makes all the fluctuations seem less important, even if I've gone up half a pound on a day. Like someone else said, it's a roller coaster. Stay on it!

And wearing my clothes again. I didn't buy a lot of big clothes. I had all these size 6's and smalls. I bought a few size 10 jeans and slacks. A few medium shirts. So when I could reclaim 2 pairs of size 6 jeans that was huge! Now those size 6's are starting to feel too loose (must be that vanity sizing) and I've still got 4 pounds until my goal weight! It's been exciting to see what I've already got in my closet.

And buying a few new things to celebrate where I'm going and finding I can already wear them! Most were bought at thrift stores or off clearance racks. Motivation clothes bought mostly in April when I started this journey.

Not depriving myself of yummy things. Just limiting the amount of those yummy things. I can have a cookie. I can have just one cookie, not 2. I can have potato chips, but I count them, so I only want whole chips. No broken pieces. I used to just eat all the little broken pieces. It felt like I wasn't eating so much but think about how many broken cheese curls there are in a bag of cheese curls!

Seeing I've got a figure again. I was looking "wide" in photos and in the mirror. I don't look wide anymore. I look thin. I still have a bit of a belly but it doesn't seem to make me look fat anymore.

I'd like to say inspiring my family but no. My daughter doesn't see the need though she's 14 and getting paunchy. (So much easier to keep it off than to lose it once it's there!) And my husband is still over 200lbs and technically obese but he still won't even shrink his portion sizes. I do think I've inspired my step-sister, though, so that's good.

Gabinka
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My can do attitude. No tolerance for excuses for anything anymore.
  • kittehkitteh88
    kittehkitteh88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Strangely enough in getting thicker skin. I got called fat in the forum yesterday by a silly butthead troll and it really really didn't phase me. My sister in law (her and I had never gotten along) had a very loud laugh in the school office in front of me and about 17 other parents (pretending she didn't know I was there) about how her fat, stupid ugly sister in law is trying to lose weight again and it's totally not working. I laughed it off. I can lose my weight. I can better myself (currently studying nursing while working and being a mum) yet she'll always be a *kitten*. You can't diet or exercise away a bad personality.

This would normally have sent me home crying into a packet of chocolate biscuits. But I LAUGHED IT OFF!! ME!! So proud of myself

Good lass!
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    No one told me how to deal with a colleague that sees me at the supermarket with a cart full of fresh veggies fruits and asks "where is the good food you will eat?". Excuse me for buying vegetables instead of all chips, soda and donuts. On a side note, my husband works at a bakery and the cinnamon rolls are a treat not a necessity.
  • JohnZain
    JohnZain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you use the soap dispenser, you have to be careful because the soap will go straight through between your skinny fingers and you'll make a big mess in the office bathroom again and again and again.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Strangely enough in getting thicker skin. I got called fat in the forum yesterday by a silly butthead troll and it really really didn't phase me. My sister in law (her and I had never gotten along) had a very loud laugh in the school office in front of me and about 17 other parents (pretending she didn't know I was there) about how her fat, stupid ugly sister in law is trying to lose weight again and it's totally not working. I laughed it off. I can lose my weight. I can better myself (currently studying nursing while working and being a mum) yet she'll always be a *kitten*. You can't diet or exercise away a bad personality.

This would normally have sent me home crying into a packet of chocolate biscuits. But I LAUGHED IT OFF!! ME!! So proud of myself

You inspire me to trust that I know where I'm going. Thank you.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    The best thing of all is that I had no idea I would be an inspiration to my friends and work colleagues. We even formed a health club at work on the back of my weight loss.

How fantastic!!, I wish I could do the same. Have tried to get lunchtime games of football (soccer) going but to no avail. Biggest problem is some moron scheduling a meeting that is 'unable to be moved'. Sorry but my health is more important, I'll read the minutes later but my colleagues don't think the same and forgo lunch for the meeting. I used to be like that but no more. I just go running by myself instead.

How weird it is when people touch you (kind of like pregnant women) where they will slap your *kitten*, pinch your hips, run a hand over the stomach because its "flat"(er) and turn you around in a circle to "get a better view". It was from a friend but made me really self conscience and kind of embarrassed about my journey. You didn't do that before, why are you doing it now? Now I cringe every time I see her because I know she's going to make a huge deal.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Really weird that two of my closest friends have not mentioned that I have dropped two dress sizes yet everyone else is commenting....
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    The best thing of all is that I had no idea I would be an inspiration to my friends and work colleagues. We even formed a health club at work on the back of my weight loss.

How fantastic!!, I wish I could do the same. Have tried to get lunchtime games of football (soccer) going but to no avail. Biggest problem is some moron scheduling a meeting that is 'unable to be moved'. Sorry but my health is more important, I'll read the minutes later but my colleagues don't think the same and forgo lunch for the meeting. I used to be like that but no more. I just go running by myself instead.

How weird it is when people touch you (kind of like pregnant women) where they will slap your *kitten*, pinch your hips, run a hand over the stomach because its "flat"(er) and turn you around in a circle to "get a better view". It was from a friend but made me really self conscience and kind of embarrassed about my journey. You didn't do that before, why are you doing it now? Now I cringe every time I see her because I know she's going to make a huge deal.

Friend or no, I'm pretty sure I'd slap them. At least slap their hands away.
  • Trishfitz78
    Trishfitz78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Really weird that two of my closest friends have not mentioned that I have dropped two dress sizes yet everyone else is commenting....

Oh my god, I'm so glad it's not just me!!!! What's that about!?!?! When I said I'd lost 25 pounds, they were like "Whaaaaat??" Thanks for noticing girls!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!