WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's beautiful here today, and the weather channel promises high temps in the low 70's. The TV station says the high will be 92, so it'll be interesting to see which is right. It's 50 degrees right now, so the weather channel is looking good at the moment.

The kids went to their other grandparents for the weekend. They were supposed to see their mom last weekend but she bailed because she was in the process of breaking up with the man of the moment. Apparently she is moving back in with her folks, so she should be there this weekend to see the kids. I hope so. They were really disappointed last week.

We are going up to the studio in a few minutes. Hubby will mow the lawn while I work some more on fixing my printer. I thought it would be an easy fix, but it turns out you have to disassemble the darned thing to get access to the old fuser assembly. Once I took the case off and saw all the wires and PC boards and stuff, I got a little overwhelmed. But I have the repair manual from HP, so I will just go through the steps and pretend I know what I'm doing. I set up a little system with baggies to put screws and small parts in and label them as to where they came from. Fingers crossed! I hope it works in the end. This is an old printer, but it's special. The toner contains 50% iron oxide, so I can print water-slide decals with it to use on my pottery. The new printers mostly use carbon instead of iron oxide, so that would not work for the decals. It would just burn off in the kiln. So, getting a new printer would be easier (and cheaper), but it wouldn't do what this one does.

Later, in the afternoon, we will go to the lake. I hope we can go out in the canoe again this weekend.

Michele, hugs to you and Vince!

Pip, good luck in the race!

Janetr OKC, I wish I knew you were coming through Joplin. We could have met for lunch!

Welcome to all the new ladies! I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi folks!

Having troublewith my tablet charging AGAIN! Not fun. :sad:

Feeling very unsettled this morning. DDIL emailed me.
    Good thing - elder son is coming to DGD's party tomorrow. That is a long and expensive journey for him. Haven't seen him since April went I went up to see him. :D
    Medium thing - my ex and family will all be there. :ohwell: I do get on with his wife ok, but, as that relationship was the final straw in our breakup, I can feel a little awkward around her. She is perfectly nice.
    Sad thing - DDIL is waiting for results of tests next week they have done on the baby and there will be more tests in 3 weeks. She cautioned me not to mention it at the party as most people don't know anything about the pregnancy. She also said she doesn't feel like going to Paris at the moment "unless they get good news next week". She didn't say what the tests were.
    I googled around a bit and to me it looks like they are waiting for the results of blood tests for Downs etc. That would explain the delay and the possible need for more tests later.
    She said she would let me know as soon as they know anything.
    As you can imagine, I feel a bit teary. It's hard not being her mum and living a distance away. My lovely son has always had a private side and doesn't often share his thoughts and fears with me.
    It will be strange tomorrow with them and us and the other grandparents putting a brave face on things at the party.
    Must wrap DGD 's present up. :love:

Found a neighbour to witness my title transfer signature. Hope it all goes through and the questions I couldn't answer don't hold things up. Once we've exchanged I can breathe.

Sory not more chatty. :ohwell:

Love to all, Heather UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. I am working 8-2 so not to bad. Then am off the next couple days. Have a house to clean and newsletter to get out. I lucked out with the trainning, since I am working the short shift the other lady is trainning. I like that.

Tracie--Welcome, glad to have you join us. Sounds like you have been thur a lot and have a big heart. Looking forward to going thur this journey with you.

pip--Love the pictures, praying for a good ride.

Linda/IA--I will always remember being at work on 9-11 and the unrealness of us. I am sorry for your loss.

Joyce--Sending Hugs and prayers that you feel better soon.

Sue--I understand about things we have to decide for our parents as they age. I worry about my mom as she lives so far from any of us and forgets to eat somedays. It's a worry. Hugs!

Mary--Enjoy your weeknd and time with family. It looks like fun but I would be afraid of falling over.

Becca--GREAT on your loss for the week. You go Girl!!

Cheri--Very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Pat--Love the quote and so very true! We have such wise women here.

Carol--Congrates on sleeping in bed!!! One step at a time.

Sylvia--Good luck with your printer. I would have no idea where to even start.

Heather--Sending prayers and hugs for you and DDIL. The waiting is the worse part as for me all kinds of thoughts go thur my mind.

Well ladies I pray for each of you daily and hope you have a good weekend. I am looking forward to having most the afternoon off and getting somethings done.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Big hugs to you Hearher as you go thruogh all this. So many emotions at the same time, some very positive and others have a probability of not so good. And then your tablet. Let yourself show all those emotions so you can get them all out. Then write a gratitude journal you are such a strong woman but even strong person has things hidden n their heart that can bring them down. Mt oldest daughter says she thanks God for every bad boyfriend she had becaus they all taught her something and helped lead her to her present husband, the love of her life.

I feel much better, slept about 10 hours. Though it was a bit restless. I have always started an antibiotic with a double dose since it is a 3 time a day prescription and I usually get the script in the afternoon. And I did take a Prednisone last night on my own. So good nights sleep, cough drops, 4 doses of antibiotics in my system all help me feel better.

Most of the things I saw husband do yesterday in therapy are some of the kind of 'games' you typically see in a children's museum, pedaling at a steady pace to make the 'light bulb' go on but not any other appliance, a machine that he had to maneuver this device around on this machine to keep this bubble like on a level tool right in the middle. Therapists was moving things that would make the bubble move and he had to react accordingly. So it was all fun things. One of his good Karaoke buddies, part of 'The over the hill gang' took in a portable Karaoke machine last night and they had fun singing. They had the door closed so no crowd standing in the hallway listening. I hope the activities director can work in a time that the 3 guys can have a concert for the residents.

Good luck Pip and Kirby. Can't wait to hear about the trip. Kip, my cough drop little wrappers have all these little sayings meant to keep you going when the going is tough. My favorite is 'Tough is your middle name'. I immediately thought of you.

Joyce, indiana
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would like to come up with a hobby that my husband and I could do together. We are in the position where everything revolved around our kids when they were small. Now they are grown up so we need new things to do. He doesn't like to do any kind of exercise with me, like walking or biking. He has a pretty physical job. Any suggestions?
  • shoileyr
    shoileyr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me too! Does he like tennis, pool, even table tennis? Something that is more of a game than an exercise ? I am in same boat and my hubby used to play and be good at tennis. I'm terrible at it but thought perhaps if I took lessons I could be a worthy partner and it would be something we could do together. (Unlike your hubby who has a physical job, we could both use the exercise:)
  • mparker1216
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota what is that called that your husband is riding?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    On the road today.

Bag of grapes and two cups of coffee. Happy Traveler.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mparker1216
    Options
    ntl8hehdvh6a.jpg
    This is what I want to get.
  • ScubaMare01
    ScubaMare01 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi all! I'm so excited to have found this community and, specifically, this thread for women 50+. My story and goals:

I turned 50 last December. In March I was hospitalized with bilateral pulmonary embolisms -- blood clots in both lungs. What I thought was me just being more out of shape than usual from being sedentary all winter long was something that actually could have killed me. I was lucky. I'm otherwise healthy and maintain a healthy weight for my height, so I recovered quickly. I was out of the hospital after one night and told that I could resume normal activity and exercise as much as my body would allow, given the blood clots. I started walking immediately and by the start of this month I'm now averaging about 12-15 miles per week up and down hills at a pretty brisk pace. I've managed to lose a few pounds and my resting heart rate is down from 85 bpm, when I was in the hospital, to anywhere from 54 to 67 bpm. After that very scary episode, and seeing my 84 year old mother struggling to even drive because of her severe shoulder pain and lack of muscle, I decided I need to build muscle while I'm still "young."

My goals for this fall include losing a little more weight (I'm 6'0 tall, weigh 161, and would like to get down to 150). I call myself what I just saw on another website -- skinny fat. My biggest goal is to build strength and lean muscle and to have a more balanced physique. I just ordered a women's 35 pound bar for weightlifting and, as soon as it arrives, I'll be starting StrongLifts 5 x 5. I completed P90x (twice) at 45 and have done some strength training, off and on, before. So, I'm not new to weightlifting or strenuous exercise. I'm watching my husband get really strong and fit and he's so excited about the program that I decided to try it, too. Can't wait till that bar gets here!

Wish me luck!

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Woke up to a hard disk crash this morning. Nope, no backups. Silly me!

I was pretty near despair when I thought of all the work it would require to restore four years of book-keeping for my company. And I would have to re-create an entire week's worth of Powerpoint presentations for my writing course - my main source of income. But my husband of 37 years is not just a keeper, but also computer savvy. smiley-computer004.gif For a while he thought the hard disk was gone forever, but he didn't give up, and eventually got things working again. smiley-love006.gif I've spent the entire afternoon backing up all my important files.

Lesson learned!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota what is that called that your husband is riding?
    On the road today.
    :heart: MNMargaret
    Have a safe trip!
    It is a street strider. The kids can even ride it!!tyv35r2bh3zh.jpg

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Aw thanks ladies for your congrats on my last weeks lost ((((hugs))))) ya'll !!

Having said THAT...I am regretting my celebatory sandwich I ate last night. I hadn't put really anything down as a dinner, but a spinach salad, on my journal. So of course I didn't really want to fix that....with my tomatoes staring me in the face from their perches on the counter yelling, "EAT ME". So I toasted 3, (yes I said 3...) slices of bread (at least it was a healthy bread) then a single serving package of Budding honey turkey deli slices, one huge tomato cut on the cutting board and drizzled with a bit of olive oil, and spices. Also was the spinach, (didn't want to lie about not eating that.....) So like DAGWOOD in the comics, I started with the layering of bread-squirt of light mayo (used as a glue to hold the spinach-spinach leaves-turkey slices-tomatoes-more mayo and then the next layer. It was quite beautiful! Then I carefully placed it on a plate and devoured it. *Sighes* I think the squirt bottle of mayo helps A BIT in the control factor. The old-fashioned way of SLATHERING on mayo with a knife makes you use more. Do I regret it? Maybe a bit. I had to endure watching a movie my husband was watching called "The Wizard". Its animation by the same director that did the 1970's "The Hobbit". So this one is rated R, and I have never seen a elf with cleavage before.....I almost dropped my sandwich in hysterical laughter!!!!! It was quite strange, and I was more interested in my artist sandwich then it, but I pointed periodically and said, "That is sooooo wrong!!"

So my teenager is in a class called "Success In the Workplace". One project is to SHADOW a person in a workplace of your choosing, as long as its approved by the teacher. So my husband asked my son if he wanted him to go check out a multi-military service place nearby called Camp Rilea. The Army Reserve uses it, as well as the Emergency Response teams in the area, and also the Coast Guard, and Air Force. Anyway, yesterday after our morning walk we went there, and low and behold they were having training over the weekend. So we stopped by the high school on the way home and my husband gave the sign-up sheet to my son to put it by the teacher. My husband said, when he got back into the car, that our son was abit surprised and a bit of a deer in the headlight look. This project is due in November so the teacher was quite amazed that my son was getting it done so quick.

This morning my son was dropped off at the Reserve Center there. He was excited I think, but nervous. There was a 5k planned for the active military, so I don't know if he would be running in that or not. The Reservist that talked to my husband yesterday stated that he would be given workout gear (uniform) and I think they will feed him. Today, my son will get a taste of military life, and as a 16 yr old, it will be a definate wake up call.

Our last son was our "Navy retirement gift"....so he has not really lived the military lifestyle like his brothers. He didn't see my husband in a uniform every day. He didn't have to be parted from his Dad for long periods of time, and he didn't have to move every 3-4 years. My husband has tried to paint a picture by talking about the military, but if you don't live it, its hard to imagine.

Today I have a pit in my stomach for my teenager though. Just hoping everything is going well, and they are not making him clean the bathrooms with a toothbrush or yelling at him as he is running. Part of this shadowing program is to instill a desire to go into the military, so I doubt they would be so harsh. I am envisioning that they will be jogging along side of him as a unit, and big-brothering him. I can hope!

Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    hydkv1a87jbc.jpg
    Having a little bit of fun moving some dirt around!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Day 1 is done- will tell stats later, no shoulder pain on the ride
    uafx4btjbx56.jpg
    1himq98mjx44.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Day 1 is done- will tell stats later, no shoulder pain on the ride.

Yeah! Have fun!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Pip- Proud of you!! Glad you aren't experincing any pain presently!! AWESOME SAUCE!!!! (we shall be your viral cheering squad)!!!!

Becca *just made a P-I-P with my arms..!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,357 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm glad you didn't feel I rambled too much in my post introducing myself. I really look forward to getting to know you all better so I can reply to your posts by name, like so many of you do, giving everyone that personal touch. Such a bond you have all created!!

Tomorrow is the first Green Bay Packer game, and my kids are coming over to watch the season opener together. So...I need to go to the grocery store and pick up some munchies. In the past, I would have just thrown a bunch of junk food in my grocery cart and called it a day. But I'm really trying to get healthy and don't want to be tempted. How do you all balance something like that? Having munchies for everyone else but healthy stuff for yourself? I'm thinking maybe a vegetable tray with hummus, a fresh fruit bowl, cheese and sausage tray with crackers, and tortilla chips with salsa. It's not cocktail weenies, potato chips and dip, hot wings, etc, but I'm wondering if that would be okay.

We recently sold our home in the country and moved to town into a smaller older home which my hubby has been slowly painting and remodeling rooms in. He finally finished the office/sewing room and it's ready for me to decorate and set up. I'm thinking of going bumming this afternoon since he is gone for the day and pick up a couple of valances for the windows and then working on a lap quilt I've been trying to finish for what seems like forever! I like to try to quilt but I seriously am SO BAD at it that I get frustrated pretty easily... so we'll see how far I get.

I love the afghan that someone posted a picture of on here. What a lot of work that had to have been!

I hope to find time this weekend to read this thread better and get to know a little bit more about each of you.

Have a wonderful day!

Tracie in WI
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I would. Have enjoyed that too. We are traveling with another couple and I just wasn't sure if they would be good with it. So sorry.

Janetr Inc

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,357 Member
    Options
    Pip - Did you seriously ride your bike for 5 hours? Oh my gosh, you are a rock star! I went for the first time on my new bicycle the other day and only made it 20 minutes!!! Wow! Great job!