WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    terri_mom - sorry to read about all your issues on this last post, I had no idea...
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    So happy, I have now lost 15 of the 30 pounds I had gained. Now I don't think I lost it in a healthy way but I will take it. I love it when you guys gt to meet each other.

Joyce, indiana

Yeah! Good for you!

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Linda, just wanted to share some information. Getting Social Security to declare someone disabled is a really hard process and most people who apply lose anything they previously had before being declared disabled. Over 80% of applicants are denied right off the bat WHETHER THEY ARE DISABLED OR NOT. Social Security just routinely denies that percentage of claims. So the folks that are denied have to appeal, hire a lawyer who will get a percentage of their money if they are found disabled, and NOT HAVE ANY INCOME FROM WORK OR ANYTHING ELSE the entire time they wait for their hearing AND for at least a year afterwards. NONE. Not a five hour a month job, nothing. Most single people who apply have lost their homes, cars, possessions, pets, etc. and are homeless or living with relatives until they get declared disabled. Slightly easier for married folks if their spouse can support them. So anyone who is faking it will drop out of the process. My client had two severe brain injuries where he was comatose for weeks, and had to go through rehab both times to learn how to walk and talk etc. again. He had worked after his first brain injury where his frontal lobes and most of his temporal lobes were removed- he worked cleaning factories. That was where the second injury happened. He was working alone at night and fell 35 feet to a cement floor. He even tried working after that but had no short term memory anymore. So this guy is not a slacker. He was denied the first time he applied and had to go through the appeal process losing everything he owned. I met him and found out he was homeless and so I let him live in my upstairs (before I got the girls) until his court date. He lived with me for 6 months and never learned my name! He cannot follow two part instructions (put this here and that there). I have a masters in rehabilitation counseling (helping people with disabilities get back to work, function better at home, etc.) and I know this guy was totally unemployable but was denied the first time through. Granted there are a few people who will still slip through the cracks, but the numbers are pretty tiny. Remember, this is my field of education- a masters degree.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I'm getting used to the clutter and the toilet. I fixed the refrigerator light. Go me! LOL! The walk makes up for a lot of it. She lives in an area of NOLA called Nine Mile Point and is in walking distance of the levee. I walked along the levee all the way to the Huey P Long and back. It took me an hour and 45 minutes. hrmm6g2rdsho.jpg

That is a mini road on top of the levee. The river is to the left and the main road to the right.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Had an awesome day off today! Started w my plateau finally breaking I'm down a pound and a half to total ten down since August 6. Then my daughter who lives w me w her boyfriend and works six days a week had a day off..usually she sleeps most of the day due to exhaustion but today she got up before noon and suggested we take our girls(Winny and Lulu) to our favorite dog park Stoddards Neck. This park is AMAZING. It is on a point surrounded on three sides by ocean w the last side gated and fenced. I'd guess it's about a hundred acres of hilly fields and forest w a carriage trail looping through, benches along the way w trash barrels doggie bag stations and a dog water bubbler. Needless to say a grand time for all. Then I went to Whole Foods and took my damn sweet time looking at the enormous variety of healthy everything and bought a cart load using my twenty percent discount. Now I'm home ALONE tee hee I love it! Feet up watching the Red Sox and calling my old friends and making fun plans one of which is to see the Royal British Equestrian Show in Rhode Island October 4 and a weekend away to The White Mountains to stay in an adults only B & B called the Red Elephant Inn and we are booked for the Paris Room. becky and I are also traveling to Key West in February in part to visit my son who moved in June. I empathize w all you ladies who have children far away.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ah well kids came home. I just wanted to chime in on the disability discussion. I have been federally disabled for twenty years. I don't discuss it often as I have an "invisible" disability and have often been made to feel bad about being so. But I feel fairly safe here so here it goes. My first marriage was very volatile. While we both worked in cutting edge research travelled extensively, hiked most of the Appalachian trail, competed in triathlons and owned horses, our relationship was abusive on every level. In the end he broke my skull and a few other bones and was arrested and convicted to a short stint at a federal prison for that and for his large collection of firearms and explosives. I fell into a dissassociated state and was cared for by my parents who applied for ssdi for me were rejected and applied again until I was approved. I went eighteen months w no pay. I lost my home my horses and my job. I was granted eight hundred a month to live on and as mentioned before have only gotten one or two percent increases on some but not all years. I got pregnant to another poor choice of mate (due to my horrible lack of self esteem I set my bar underground). Had two lovely cherubs fifteen months apart and gained a hundred pounds on psych meds. Divorce number two. No child support. Dead beat dad. Home to my parents again thank God. They were wonderful. To learn that my dad had misdiagnosed prostate cancer that had spread to his lymph nodes spine bones and bladder. My mum was super shy and couldn't bear nurses coming so I cared for him in our family room through years of treatment. He died in 2009 screaming in agony even w hospice and morphine. In 2010 my daughter was attacked by boys at school, became a cutter and spent six months in a psych hospital two hours away. In 20011 my mother was diagnosed w ALS and lost the ability to speak swallow or walk. I cares for her also in the family room. In 2012 my sister Bethellen dropped dead at age 58. My mother died in December 2013. It was a blessing for her and us. In April 2014 my sister Lauri died of misdiagnosed lung cancer. I also discovered I have a brain cyst that is inoperable but has given me no physical symptoms thank God again. I have lived through all of this but no one knows the depths of suicidal repetitive thoughts I have not acted on for years due to my sense of duty and obligation. Now I am free. I thought I could finally let myself go but am surprised that for the most part I want to LIVE. Not to ENDURE any longer! This though it may jeopardize my ssdi I have chosen to re enter the working world. It is very hard but I love being there. I could not live on my cashiers income nor can I resume being a scientist as my training is mostly obsolete. I do not know what will happen in nine months when my trial work period ends. I hope (that is a long unused word) that I can learn and raise my position at Whole Foods enough so if I move to a full time position with an increase of pay I can make it. I only know that for TODAY I do the next right thing, enjoy the small things, thank God and try to improve myself. Which is what brought me here to you. I do btw agree that there are abusers of the system and it is not only shame on them but it makes those of us who appear outwardly okay shameful too. Which is why I never talk about it. TMI. Sorry.
    Hope you can all still be my friends
    Mindy from Boston
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    mtowne002 wrote: »
    Ah well kids came home. I just wanted to chime in on the disability discussion. I have been federally disabled for twenty years. I don't discuss it often as I have an "invisible" disability and have often been made to feel bad about being so. But I feel fairly safe here so here it goes. My first marriage was very volatile. While we both worked in cutting edge research travelled extensively, hiked most of the Appalachian trail, competed in triathlons and owned horses, our relationship was abusive on every level. In the end he broke my skull and a few other bones and was arrested and convicted to a short stint at a federal prison for that and for his large collection of firearms and explosives. I fell into a dissassociated state and was cared for by my parents who applied for ssdi for me were rejected and applied again until I was approved. I went eighteen months w no pay. I lost my home my horses and my job. I was granted eight hundred a month to live on and as mentioned before have only gotten one or two percent increases on some but not all years. I got pregnant to another poor choice of mate (due to my horrible lack of self esteem I set my bar underground). Had two lovely cherubs fifteen months apart and gained a hundred pounds on psych meds. Divorce number two. No child support. Dead beat dad. Home to my parents again thank God. They were wonderful. To learn that my dad had misdiagnosed prostate cancer that had spread to his lymph nodes spine bones and bladder. My mum was super shy and couldn't bear nurses coming so I cared for him in our family room through years of treatment. He died in 2009 screaming in agony even w hospice and morphine. In 2010 my daughter was attacked by boys at school, became a cutter and spent six months in a psych hospital two hours away. In 20011 my mother was diagnosed w ALS and lost the ability to speak swallow or walk. I cares for her also in the family room. In 2012 my sister Bethellen dropped dead at age 58. My mother died in December 2013. It was a blessing for her and us. In April 2014 my sister Lauri died of misdiagnosed lung cancer. I also discovered I have a brain cyst that is inoperable but has given me no physical symptoms thank God again. I have lived through all of this but no one knows the depths of suicidal repetitive thoughts I have not acted on for years due to my sense of duty and obligation. Now I am free. I thought I could finally let myself go but am surprised that for the most part I want to LIVE. Not to ENDURE any longer! This though it may jeopardize my ssdi I have chosen to re enter the working world. It is very hard but I love being there. I could not live on my cashiers income nor can I resume being a scientist as my training is mostly obsolete. I do not know what will happen in nine months when my trial work period ends. I hope (that is a long unused word) that I can learn and raise my position at Whole Foods enough so if I move to a full time position with an increase of pay I can make it. I only know that for TODAY I do the next right thing, enjoy the small things, thank God and try to improve myself. Which is what brought me here to you. I do btw agree that there are abusers of the system and it is not only shame on them but it makes those of us who appear outwardly okay shameful too. Which is why I never talk about it. TMI. Sorry.
    Hope you can all still be my friends
    Mindy from Boston

My hubby is diability lawyers if anyone thinks you're going to get rich , living on this is crazy!!! Some people get thru the cracks but very few. In this world some people can't work, as a civilized society it's our job to take care of them. Gayle minneapolis
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Mindy you have suffered long enough. I am glad you found us. I hear in many of our voices here that we are tired of the abuse from others and from ourselves, and we want to reclaim our health for ourselves. Yes I did mention ourselves because sometimes I think we are too hard on ourselves as we work towards our goals.

I admire you Mindy for being the survivor that you are.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.48min, 16.3amph, 2.9mi = 108c
    spin- at 30min mark- 88r, 92w, 8-13g, 13mi, total 40min = 302c
    ride dome 2 gym- 6.01min, 13.5amph, 1.3mi = 84c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.51min, 9.4amph, 2.4mi = 179c
    total cal 673
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    night all

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Terri my husband will go places. He really likes to play cards (poker). I like to play cards also but I would like to do something physical. We used to walk every day. He had a cardiac bypass when he was quite young and we would walk every day. We got out of the habit. We used to bowl until he blew his knee out bowling. Now he doesn't want to do anything for exercise.
    I've decided to make my goals one week at a time, so, my goal for this week is to not eat anything deep fried.
    Maryann in Michigan
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did 10 min of 10 Min Solution Abs, held my plank for 2 min 45 sec, then the extremepump class. I have scheduled to do a walking DVD, but that might not get done depending on what time Vince needs to be at the hospital. I don't know how long I'll be there, either. Update: So much for exercise tomorrow. Just found out that we need to be at the hosp at 6:45 meaning we need to leave the house by 6:15. Oh well....

katla - so gad you and Rori got together. Isn't she such a lovely gal?

Lillian - so sorry about your back. hmmmm..love fish

Joyce - wonderful loss

Heather - what great news!

Welcome everyone new

terri - what a wonderful thing you did volunteering. Reading your post made my eyes tear up. What a great lesson you taught your son. So sorry about your RA

Becca - I didn't think you could buy a uniform! Your hubby and son look so great

Linda/IA - when we got bonnie, the Humane Society spayed her. However, after we'd had her for a few months she started acting like she was in heat and Clyde was humping her. Turns out that there are some instances, not real common but it does happen, when they don't get all of the tissue. She had a pencil-eraser size attached to one of her kidneys, just enough to produce enough estrogen to drive Clyde crazy (but not enough to get pg). So we had to take her to our vet to be re-spayed. Now isn't that something?

Mindy - Oh my goodness! Thanks for sharing with us. what a life you've led

Went to ceramics then mahjongg. I left mahjongg early because right now Vince doesn't have any heart medication in his system and he's afraid that if he goes into tacharcardia, it'll be much worse. Knowing that if something happens he can pull off to the side of the road and I can drive is a big relief.

Michele in NC
    who thinks she'd better get to bed
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs in 3 months, FINALLY!!! It took me so long to figure it out.
    Options
    What game in mahjong??? We play Singapore!! Love it, about 24 of us get together monthly. My turn is November, hostess makes main dish. May not play well, but we so eat well. Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    17,000 steps
    158 minutes of dog walking

smiley-happy032.gif Jake doesn't like to do anything too active so a great compromise for us is the exercise bike in the living room. We like to watch TV together (recorded shows, movies, and sports) so he can sit in the recliner and I ride the bike and everyone is happy.

Tracie, when I started on MFP I logged everything I ate and used my food diary to find the places where there were lots of calories and sodium but not much real nutrition or actual food to eat. That's when I figured out that if losing weight and being healthy was my goal, that I'd have to eliminate some things. It took some practice but now I eat plain steamed vegetables and salad without salad dressing and no recreational sugar. It takes time and experimentation to find out what will work for you.

Heather, I'm so glad you got happy news from your DDIL

Katla and Rori, how great that the two of you got together.....you both look awesome in the picture

Jake is on his way to Ohio to visit his daughter who is losing her battle with breast cancer and also to attend the wedding of one of his nephews. He left this morning to drive over to stay at a hotel near the airport. I have my alarm set for 1:10 AM to make sure he's up to catch the shuttle to the airport to catch a 5AM flight. He has his alarm set and the hotel desk will call, but we want to be sure he's up.

My injured hip is getting better every day and today I did all the dog walking. To confuse the issue with the pain in my hip is my new prescription to address the loss in bone density....one of the side effects is leg muscle pain so it's hard to tell what is hurting.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
    September resolutions (with week two comments)
    *walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day (only one day so far this month)
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day(every day)
    *strength training twice a week (none yet_
    *15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone (done)
    * meditate for five minutes four or more days a week (done)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, sorry the decongestant isn’t agreeing with you. Good luck on your outing with Charlie. I sure hope all goes well and that you are feeling better.

Barbie, how long will Jake be gone? Do you have any special plans while he is away? Whatever you do, enjoy your time with the house to yourself.

Carey, so sorry for your situation with your health and Aunt’s problems. I hope your black cloud will disappear soon. badday.gif Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Heather, it sounds like a great day after a less than wonderful trip to get there. You lead such an interesting and active life. I hope the news for DDIL will be good. Think of you. ((Hugs)) [later] What wonderful news. I’d have a cry, too. Hope all else is okay but so glad she let you know.

Pip, I’m glad your shoulder didn’t bother you during the ride. Congrats on the ride and making it home safely.

Allison, glad DFIL was in a good mood. Glad you found a rug you like. Sometimes when I look for something like that, I can’t find a thing, while I will see them everywhere if I’m not in the market for one. Lol

Michele, so how is Vince feeling other than nervous about being off the meds? How long does he have to be off them? Sending healing prayers.

DrKatie, so nice of you to go to help your sister. I’m not the queen of declutter like you are, but all those broken things would drive me crazy in short order. I know you will be happy to get home but try not to let it get to you while you are there.

Joyce, so glad your dinner outing went well. I hope things improve quickly. (((Hugs))) Congrats on your loss!!! Yes, even though it’s not the best way to lose it, I’m sure you’ll take it.

Katia, I love the picture! So nice ya’ll got together. Those are sure some BIG strawberries behind you.

Lillian, take care of yourself. I hate that you were hurting when you were home alone but guess it’s best that they were gone for the day. Yum that fresh fish sounds good.

Tracie, great going in staying away from the foods you didn’t want to eat. It will get easier for the most part. For the broccoli and cauliflower, drizzle the cookie sheet or what ever pan with EVOO and sorta roll the veggie around in it. Season with your favorites but have found that the McCormicks Chicken seasoning is great on it. Roast in oven for around 30 minutes or a bit less if oven is near 400 degrees. You can sprinkle it with parmesan cheese but I find I don’t really need it. I understand the happy/sad part of changing jobs. Good luck!

Sylvia, you have me giggling again. For pete’s sake, turn on the furnace if it’s that cold. You can turn it off again, ya know. And you have convinced me that your bathroom needs a bit of attention. I’m glad it’s on the “to do” list.

CathyM, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

Mare, interesting information about your diet. I have certainly cut down on lots of the sugar and starches mainly because of the high calorie content. I may start paying closer attention to them and see if I notice a difference. Good plan on the weight lifting.

MNMargaret, your walk sounds nice. But you have to stop sneaking up on people before someone gets hurt. Lol I’m sure your Great Niece loved her gift.

Terri, it sounds like a great experience for you and your DS. I hate that your good looking dad didn’t get to go, so don’t give him too many details to make him jealous.  Bummer on the news from your RA doctor. I hope the new meds work great. I am probably going to have to break down and get one of those shots in my shoulder and I’ve heard they are very painful. I’m a chicken! Whaaaaaa

DrKatie, glad things are going well and woo hoo on those walks. Great picture, thanks.

Mindy, my heart goes out to you and all the others here that have suffered abuse at the hands of husbands. You are a strong bunch of women.

Barbie, somehow it doesn’t sound good that a side effect of your bone density medicine is leg pain? headache.gif Glad your hip is improving.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had my Women of the Moose meeting tonight. It was to honor a member who has served in a number of positions over the years and was a nice ceremony. I had fresh fruit when refreshments were served and stayed away from the awesome looking desserts. I'm off to bed.

I hope all of you have a healthy
    and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Saw the doc today... sorry for the TMI in advance, but have had rectal bleeding since we came back from Montana a couple weeks back. Rectal fissure diagnosed (could be worse!) They're going to try nitroglycerin cream, but of course, no one has it here, so a couple more days yet before there is any relief. Unfortunately, also had to come off my naproxen for my knees. They bumped me to Tramadol, but I can only take it at night, makes me too dopey to operate well. Last worry is that my blood pressure was at 94 over 77 at the doc's. That's good, but the nitro cream will drive it even lower... which means I can only use it at home, as well.

Ready to feel better. Hopefully soon.

Best to all... Lisa in West TX
    Options
    Have such pain in my back n hip area, can't sleep!!!! Helped mom get out from the car n snap, fell more like the knee area. Any advice on how to treat n how to help mom??? She's 93 n dead weight, can't raise her body up. Her mind is great just the legs. Very hard to watch, love her so n have had great time together. Gayle Minneapolis
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Had a birthday party for my mom tonight in the Nursing Home. Four children under eight, two babies, and five adults. The little ones did get excited. My mom loved it.

I was also able to get her out into one of the gardens for about an hour. One of the staff today said she thought I lived in town. She said I am the one she sees the most visiting my mom. When I am here I go through her routine with her.

I have not told my mom about our son or other serious health issues going on for other family members. She is too fragile to hear this kind of news. Being 550 miles away is not easy I just try to make the best of the time I have here.

I am taking care of myself here too. I am taking nature walks and tomorrow I intend to go to a sculpture garden that it is years since I have gone there.

DH did e-mail with some good news about DS. He is realizing the devastating effects alcohol has on his life and is remorseful for actions that happened when under its influence. For me that is an importnat step for taking responsibility for his actions and the need to make changes. He also expressed gratitude for all we are doing for him to help him straighten out his life.
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I'm so happy to hear the baby's test results came back fine. That is a relief! :heart:

Margaret: I've done something different with my osteopenia because it worsened between my previous test and my most recent one. I've cut the amount of calcium intake to one Citracal daily and increased the Vitamin D3 to 2000IU per day. My doctor should be back from vacation now, and I'll talk it over with her when I get home from my trip to CO. I got the idea from some studies I read on the net. The information on the D3 came from trusted sources, including NIH. I do feel better now. I don't know what my bones are doing. I'd love to hear more details about your friend's situation. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Rori is delightful. I'm very happy I got to see her again this trip. DH got to meet her, too, and he really likes and admires her. I hope everything goes well for Vince. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I'd love to know what you are taking for bone density. I'll be talking to my doctor when we get home from this trip and I'd like to have as much information as I can. :star:

Joyce: Things sound so much more positive than they did a short while ago. I hope they continue to be better for both you and Charlie. :heart:

Lisa: Sending good thoughts your way. I hope you're able to get your health back in balance and start feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Gayle in Minneapolis: I am so sorry you're hurting. I have no advice, only prayers for both you and your mom. :heart:

We're heading home from CO in the morning. Meeting Rori is the high point of the trip. We loved seeing DD and our grand children but DD and DSIL are making life decisions that we are sad about. They will be moving far away and doing things we don't think are positive. We've had a good visit with DD and the grand kids, but I fear we will be heart-sore for a long while. I'm praying for decent attitudes for me & DH. :cry:

We will be heading west in the morning and will be home in a few days.

Katla temporarily in Boulder County, CO at 4,979 feet above sea level

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png