Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    22,000 steps
    190 minutes of dog walking
    taught the two hour line dance class

Maryann,I meet my friends for a walk rather than a meal or a beverage but there is no one available to walk as much as I want to, so I rely on my dogs and audio books on my phone for company.

smiley-sleep012.gifI thought I'd get to sleep late this morning but Bernie, the cat woke me at 2:30 to tell me that Brandy was pacing which means she has to go out so by the time I got up and dressed and walked both dogs, there wasn't much point in trying to go back to bed.

My current audio book is "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin....it's about habits....I read the book when it first came out and now I'm enjoying listening to it....I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to make meaningful changes.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Barbie I would like to get a dog to walk with. My son really needs a dog. He walks a LOT. He doesn't drive so he walks to get places. Plus he walks on the treadmill for 2 hours at a time. Then he walks outside for 4-6 miles. He also is fussy about what he eats. He has not had a dessert in probably 7 years. I wish I could do that.
    Maryann in Michigan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,146 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mary from Minnesota beautiful picture! I think it would be fun if we all posted a picture from our walks. We could see what the rest of the world looks like. :)
    As far as the exercising...it's much more fun and motivating to do it with a buddy. I started with one friend from work and today we were up to four gals.
    My goal for this week was to not eat anything deep fried. So far, so good!
    Maryann from Michigan

Good idea! I know some of the ladies have posted pics of their areas. I enjoy exercising with others as well.
    wrote:

Maryann,I meet my friends for a walk rather than a meal or a beverage but there is no one available to walk as much as I want to, so I rely on my dogs and audio books on my phone for company.

My current audio book is "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin....it's about habits....I read the book when it first came out and now I'm enjoying listening to it....I highly recommend it to anyone who is trying to make meaningful changes.

How do you get audio books on your phone?

Mary from Minnesota
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the support, ladies! I'm past the immediate shock and have spent a good while looking at job openings today. Tomorrow I plan to update my resume and begin applying! Some friends have sent me leads on openings, too.

Kim - I wished we lived closer, too. And, not just for the job!

Miriam - Yahoo!!!

Pip - I started out in a borrowed recliner (turned out to be the most uncomfortable chair ever) but ended up getting the most rest sleeping on my couch. I piled pillows against the arm of the couch so that I was almost sitting up and then removed pillows as I healed. I slept in my sling because (other than doctor's orders) it was the only way for my shoulder to be comfortable. My sling was the big immobilizer kind. Elastic waists are the way to go--leggings are great if you can get away with them at work. Because of my chest size, I ended up in oversized knit tops more than button up blouses. Slip on shoes are handy, too, since you need someone else to tie or buckle. An off the wall tip: be sure you can reach the TP in the bathrooms, including extra rolls. I totally get what you mean about the bike in a trainer. It makes the bike several inches taller and really hard to get on when your balance is impaired.

Okay, night meds are kicking in. Praying for a full night's sleep!

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a step aerobics DVD. It really wasn't very good, glad that I didn't pay anything for it. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Pure Strength Back Biceps and Abs DVD

Miriam - good luck to you in court. I'll be thinking of you. Fantastic for your son!

Welcome back lizmil!

Watch out! We have a star in our midst (alison)

Lisa jack of all trades! I didn't realize you had done so many different things. How cool. So glad you got a good night's sleep. What a wonderful assistant manager you found. I can't believe that they wouldn't hire him! You ARE Wonder Woman, that's for sure

Joyce - I totally agree with Terri. You ARE doing a great job taking care of Charlie, but take care of yourself, too.

Took Vince to get his INR tested, was at a good level, then went and got a new microwave. The one that's here has been discontinued (natch) and it butts up directly to the wall. As a matter of fact, it looks like when the house was built they cut out some of the backsplash so that it would fit. However, there are different measurements on the websites. this place is going to come out Wed. to measure, then order it. Came home and made this chocolate ice water cake. Good flavor, only it stuck to the bottom of the pan, not sure why. Then made vanilla cupcakes, some of them I won't ice with the chocolate icing so that I can give them to Lynette for Ken to have

pip - so glad you can get a spin bike

Small NSV for me. Whenever I make a cake or whatever, I usually put a little bit into a ramekin for me to taste how it came out. Normally, even tho it's just a little, I usually eat it all. This time I threw away about 3/4 of the chocolate ice water cake and 1/2 of the cupcake. They came out good, but I just didn't want it all.

terri - what a shame you won't be going to Minnesota, but that is very nice of you to do that for your father. WTG with those pajamas. You're on your way now girl

Miriam - YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joyce - you did amazing with your dinners

Mary from MN - how horrible you got that flat tire

Maryann in MI - No dessert for 7 years????? I don't think I could do THAT, not for 7 years

Jess just called, she'll be here around noon tomorrow. Steve will be here, too, but I have no idea when he's getting here. I made a sort-of baked ziti for dinner tomorrow, then I have pork chops we can grill for Sun along with hamburgers.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Having to relearn how to resize photos now that DH has us using Windows 10. It took awhile to find photo gallery. Files are too big without resizing.

0z01tgf8rmmp.jpg
    Jewelry party. Great niece and niece

54axr76xwsx6.jpg

Me with my new great nephew:

bqw2otzrf0jo.jpg

My mom meeting her new great grandson.

:6m5ehfy3f8y7.jpg
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Lovely!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    MNMargaret - what great pictures! You have such a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing!

Michele - On the road again!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: My heart aches for your grand daughter. It sounds very possible that she has been mistreated. You and your son meeting with the school counselor is a great step. I wonder if you will also need legal advice regarding "visitations" with mom. She seems like a danger to her children because of her lifestyle and associates. :cry:

Joyce: (((HUGS!!))) :heart:

Lillian: The pear pie recipe looks wonderful. :flowerforyou:

Liz: I recognize your picture. Welcome back! Your goals seem realistic and sensible. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: You have led an amazing life. :bigsmile:

Cheryl: Welcome back! :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Congratulations on an important step toward adopting your girls! :heart:

Terri: Congratulations on the cute PJs! Clothes often are the very best NSVs (non-scale victories). :bigsmile:

Margaret: I love the photos! :flowerforyou:

Kim: Walking your dog is good for both of your hearts, attitudes, and health. :heart:

Home at last! I am so tired I can barely sit here. I'll be heading for bed in a short time. We've been invited to spend the weekend with DS and DDIL but we're thinking of meeting for a meal instead because we've been away from home so long already and we're both worn out. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Maybe a good night's sleep in our own bed will restore some energy. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Katla - Welcome home!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    MN Margaret -such lovely pictures, thank you for sharing.

Kayla - glad you are home safe and sound. We are in the very west edge of Arkansas beside a beautiful river. We will be home tomorrow. We too are worn out, but have had a terrific time.

Carol - glad you are in a "go get 'em" frame of mind. Hang on to it, you can do this. Proud of you :)

Janetr OKC (almost)
  • relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just got back from court. The parental rights for my girls are terminated so we can proceed with the adoption!

Yay!

Elaine in Lansing
  • relater2000
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

Barbie - That sounds like a good book! I just put it on hold at our library.

Elaine in Lansing
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Insomnia strikes again :/
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. And another day started. I'ts just past four am. Couldn't sleep. So got up having a glass of water doing this and going back to bed. Went down to the wii and it gave me a little bit of a loss so that's good. Started using my fit bit again got 6,522 steps yesterday so not a bad start. Far from the 10,000 I want to work up to but it's a start.

DJ
    All is well with me. Other than my BS and i'm working hard and getting it back to normal. I'm so glad I can pick blueberries the way I used to before the stent was put in. More energy it seems.

See you all lighter
    Linda from Northern Ontario.
  • relater2000
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    terri_mom wrote: »
    New pajamas. Non-plus department. First time in women's department in about a decade!

Yeah! You look awesome! Very cute PJs!

I agree! Great job!

Elaine in Lansing
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    morning dear friends~
    I have alot weighing on my mind and am very frustrated,
    you all know me and as I type you know my personality.. I try not to judge people as I do not stand in there shoes, I am kind caring and compassionate.. and giving, so why am I always getting pooped on? at work at home everyone , well almost everyone treats me like dirt..I try and take it with a grain of salt, I wont say I am depressed ,I am disappointed.... ,there is no joy in my life except for my grandchildren and dogs, I have to wait until december for any real vacation time and I dont even know how that is going to go..
    thinking of my dear friend David who is spending his last days in hospice with a teen boy a preteen daughter and a wife of 30 yrs... then I look at my life, I am somewhat healthy have a roof over my head, family and friends who love me and food in the fridge , I should feel so so blessed.but at least not feeling it today..
    love ya all and sorry for being a Debbie Downer today :#
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Allie - you have a right to be upset. While comparing our pain to others can bring us perspective, our feelings are our own, and we have a right to feel them. Nothing irks me more than when someone (usually a man, sorry, but most women know better) says "You shouldn't feel that way." Bugger that for a lark, you feel what you feel.

However, please note, my dear, that I'm saying this with love, in as gentle a tone as you can imagine my voice: We teach people how to treat us. They poop on you because you've taught them it's OK to do so. You can also teach them not to poop on you. Each relationship is different, and I wish I had a guidebook to give you to get assertive without getting agressive, but there really isn't one--you simply have to decide what you're willing to deal with, and move on if you're not treated well. Change is hard--but if you don't choose to change how you let people treat you, they will keep treating you in exactly the same way as they do now. It really is your choice--they have no reason to change.

Thanks for all the comments, compliments and good thoughts, guys. I talked to Armando again yesterday, the gentleman I'm hoping will replace me. They are offering him more at another company in town, but it's Love's truck stops, and they're famous for transferring people out of their home territory. He's lived here for seven years, has a wife, two little ones, has made a home here. He has to make a big decision, and the information on what it will take to hire him has gone up to Mr. Mitchell, the owner of everything I can see from my windows at home, as well as the restaurant. I'm thinking it will take an offer of manager, rather than assistant manager, and I genuinely think he's worth it.

I'm in the middle of constructing a roadmap to profitability for the restaurant from the current financials, and it will take some serious effort on everyone's part to get there. I think it can be done in 14 months, but they need this kind of person in the situation. I'm hoping Mr. Mitchell can see that. And that Armando, the candidate, will see how much this family-owned situation can be to his benefit. The Mitchells genuinely are good to their people, and they have been to us, very much so. Other than this last piece I'm putting together, there's little else I can do to make it happen.

On the weight loss side, I've FINALLY not just lost back to my pre-vacation weight, which was exactly halfway to my goal, but lost two more pounds.... getting very near dropping below 170, which will make me very, very happy. Haven't gotten below 170 since 2010!

As soon as I get this piece of financial wizardry thought out, I'm going to go run. My DH is working all day, and much as I love him and love spending time with him, a day alone without voices in my ear sounds like heaven.

Have a great weekend, all,
    Lisa in sunny West Texas

45970499.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Lisa way to go on the weight loss!!! I hope I can do that. You are such an incentive for me. Very impressive lady. I've eaten way too much this vacation. We'll be home later today, I'm retaining fluid horribly with this heat and humidity. I'll get right back on track and with surgery next week, pretty sure I'll drop it. I always get sick to the stomach from the anesthetic.

Janetr OKC