HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• countingto52
    countingto52 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome pictures everyone :)
    I used to lift weights until one year ago when I stopped going to the gym for almost 6 months and I gained quite a bit of weight... luckily it doesn't show that bad because the weight gain was pretty uniform and I used to be quite toned. I went back to the gym a few months ago, I've been doing a lot of cardio but my diet has been crap... so no results so far... I need to get back to lifting and cleaning up my diet.
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all these results. I want to start lifting, but how do I do that at home? I dont have room for big machinery or big barbells. Can anyone recommend anything? I live in an area where the nearest gym is a half hour away, so any exercise I do, happens at home.

The amazing sarauk2sf put this thread up ages ago, a great place to start, you use dumbbells only.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

The body weight books others have posted are good too. I hated planks originally now I kinda like'em.

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    About a years difference here. Lifting heavy and IIFYM...minimal cardio cos urgh cardio!

qjta2pxwfpc7.jpg

You're amazing! This is incredibly inspirational! This gives me the patience to take it slowly but surely and the drive to put in the hard work to make these changes. Thank you :)
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    About a years difference here. Lifting heavy and IIFYM...minimal cardio cos urgh cardio!

qjta2pxwfpc7.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic job!!!!

okay...relative newbie...what's IIFYM??? *shrugh*
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

qjta2pxwfpc7.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!! Fantastic job!!!!

okay...relative newbie...what's IIFYM??? *shrugh*

Omfg I actually know this!!!! Sorry I'm a newbie too
    If it fits your macros.
    Which means eating relatively what you want so long as it fits your macros :)
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful thread. I am new to weights, and have a lower back issue so I am currently using machines and dumbells with some ab/core work. Once I build up my strength a bit, my trainer will get me into free weights.

I've been following the total body program the trainer at my gym put together for only 6 weeks, and I have only lost a total of about 5-6lbs... BUT my body shape is more like I have lost 10-12lbs. I'm starting to fit clothing that previously fit me when I was 10lb lighter than I am now. I find it really interesting, very exciting and extremely motivating.

Thank you for all the sharing, ladies. <3
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Finally decided it was time to post here. Lifting for just under a year that included stronglifts and new rules of lifting for women. Now doing PHUL. First picture was taken beginning of September 2014 and second picture was taken Sunday (the 20th). Just supah bulky... or maybe that's the before picture. :wink:

2sagn6p.jpg

Holy bleep
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Sorry I pressed the button too fast. Congrats lovie! That's an incredibly awesome achievement!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just wanted to remind some women who are reading this and who may not be lifting yet-the way we look when we are flexed is not how we walk around looking all the time. Unless you walk around flexed all the time but that would just be weird. Someone might not like the "look" of my flexed picture here, fine, but there's no way you can call me bulky.

This is a great point!
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to remind some women who are reading this and who may not be lifting yet-the way we look when we are flexed is not how we walk around looking all the time. Unless you walk around flexed all the time but that would just be weird. Someone might not like the "look" of my flexed picture here, fine, but there's no way you can call me bulky.

You are one of the ladies on here that inspired me to start lifting. Will never look back.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    faeriesue1 wrote: »

You are one of the ladies on here that inspired me to start lifting. Will never look back.

Awesome! Thank you for sharing that :)
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Nice job lady!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @mrsfitzyv8 - Thanks! :blush:

@arditarose - good point and very nice on both pictures.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. It saves a lot of time in the gym.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    edited:

7btn23p4247d.jpg

You are ROCKING those strips. And the back OMG, your back is awesome. Great results.

• cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I want to post pictures in the thread one day <3
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting ladies, please help.

I lost about 25lbs or so on a deficit eating at 1500 calories using MFP settings and doing Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. Loss was set at 2lbs p week.

I had sx and took 6 months to recover and maintained that loss. I came back to lifting and started gaining weight instead of losing.

When I first started gaining weight while lifting heavy, I was eating between 1200 to 1500 calories. I was advised on the forums here on MFP to increase my calories because I wasn't eating enough.

I have been eating between 1500 and 1700 calories p day, lifting 4 days p week and have gained about 6 to 8lbs in the past 5 weeks.

Anyway, today I've increased my calories to eat between 1700 to 1900 calories per day and hope to track the next couple of weeks to see if anything changes to my liking.

Has anyone succeeded in eating more,(still at deficit), lifting heavy (no extra cardio) and losing weight?

When you calculate your TDEE using the online calculators do you set your activity level to lightly active or moderate for lifting 4 days per week?

I'm 43, 5'8 and today weighed in at 184.4lbs - yikes! I want to get down to 140lbs.

I do weigh my food.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!