55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• Candicer I am surprised your doctor recommended the HCG DIET. Any weight loss program where you lose weight very rapidly is a disaster waiting to happen. My son did the HCG diet a few years ago and he gained all the weight he lost back in a very short time because no one can keep eating at that kind of deficit for very long. That's why I cut calories, but lost my weight very slowly so that I could keep eating like this for the rest of my life. Gaining and losing, losing and gaining is not good for your health either.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    What's HCG??? You are totally correct, it's a life journey!! When you starve and start to eat your body gains n can't stop it. Gayle Minneapolis
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Add me ladies I'm new here just a month and am loving the support, 58 years old and going strong
  • kphel172154
    kphel172154 Posts: 4 Member
    Good Morning Ladies:
    Your success stories are very motivating. I just turned 62 this week, recently had knee replacement and have 70 lbs I want to lose. I started last week and am doing well. I need to put the exercise part into play. I will continue to read your posts as you are inspiring to me. Congrats to all of you. Thank you! Karen
  • BelleMax
    BelleMax Posts: 3 Member
    Just finished the 10-day Clean Eating Challenge. Lost 3 lbs. it actually has me cooking again. I'm sticking to it. Three down; 100 to go...
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    transformedbyhim56 is absolutely right; it is a journey not a "diet," or a "project" with an end date. Eat right most of the time w/a deficit if you need to lose and a splurge now and again and not only will you lose the weight it will stay off. B)
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Great thread! I look forward to the day when I can post my success story and pics. In the meantime I am looking for friends over 50 to exchange support on MFP. This time around I am prioritizing exercise and consistent logging. Feel free to send me a friend request. Thanks - lapierrecyclist
    Welcome to the new people!! Don't worry about age, find people with the same story!! Age is just a number. Gayle Minneapolis
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Ok, so how many times am I going to have to loose these some of the same pounds and the extras I have welcomed to the party. Well shut the front door, that party is over at 62 I have been dragging myself around at the peak 227 pounds. I am 5' for crying out load it is not like I am happy this way. I love sweets, cakes cookies candies all the way to diabetes. Played with MFP like it was a game I could play if I wanted . How often I haven't done something I would have enjoyed but it was too much walking or gone to sit to find a seat too tight... So now no more sleeping in I set an alarm for everyday. I MFP and Silver Sneakers 2 times a week, 4 times I do Aquafit and one time Zumba gold. I will give myself one more week to get really comfortable with these then begin some treadmill time. My aim is to get to the point I can join regular Zumba it looks like such a blast. Also, I want to be able to get through a good long walk, without breathing back and legs issues getting in the way, but I will get there in time. So far,10 pounds down and every day I look forward to being under 200 pounds again but my first goal is 180 pounds, it would be great if I could achieve it by the New Year. As I reach each goal I will choose another.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Welcome everyone! I too am looking to lose. I am trying to drop 19 pounds. In the grand scheme it doesn't sound like much, but I am having the toughest times. Thanks to everyone here for posting your successes and struggles so I don't feel like I'm alone on this journey! I know what i need to do but i just can't seem to get it done! Not gaining but not losing either. But again, I'm determined!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    To behnybaby & krenwren; welcome to our group!! I just turned 65, so I know how hard it is to try and lose those extra lbs that snuck up on me (they seemed to stick like glue). Anyway, what worked for me was cutting back on highly processed food (can't avoid all of it) and sugar (I love cookies, etc. too; I just treat myself to abt a TBS (or so) to Nestle' dark choc chips after dinner). I only wanted to lose abt sever or eight lbs and ended up losing 12 (in abt 2.5 months). Like the old saying; "in all things, moderation." It can be done; if you mess up, forget abt it and get back on the wagon. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! B)
  • MattiesZia
    MattiesZia Posts: 12 Member
    Sodakat, I am all for keeping the thread going.
    Heck, I have been on MFP since 2010 and only just discovered the forums this past September, I just used it for food and fitness tracking, so have no idea how groups work.
    Just wondering, do any of us 'well experienced women' lift heavy?
    I play with the idea a lot, not sure if that is just how this forum pushes it, but just can't see myself with a barbell balanced on my shoulders - the bar itself is almost half my weight so how would I ever start!
    I do do body weight, hand weights, and gym machines, but barbells- just can't get there.

Cheers, h.
    Ps. It is my before pic that inspires me- I don't ever want to look like that again, and am willing to work on it.

You look fabulous @middlehaitch :smile: I am only 2 days into MFP and someone who's got a history of being super fit, the idea that I need help to now lose post meno weight is humbling. I'll keep a watch for your updates!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    I read this thread every day, and I keep thinking I have posted here, but it seems not. I love reading all your stories and you have all helped to keep me motivated. I hope to participate in this thread in the future. :)

Anyway, I posted this looong story in a "women 40 years and up" motivational thread today, and thought I would re-post it here to introduce myself.

I'm a month away from turning 60. I'm 5'6.5" and started trying to lose weight somewhere around late spring of 2014 when I weighed an all-time high of 230 pounds. I ate less calories than I had been eating, but was still eating in an unhealthy way, consuming very little protein, lots of pasta, just unhealthy. I spent a great deal of time being in a state of gnawing hunger that would cause me to not be able to go to or stay asleep - hunger would wake me up, then I would get up at 3 in the morning and eat. I "dieted" some days, not others, so my weight loss was slow, and I felt bad physically, but I managed to lose 21 pounds.

I found MFP in mid-April and everything changed. I have logged in every day and logged everything I have consumed since then. I started reading the Success Stories thread every single morning, and now have several other threads that I find motivational bookmarked and read those too. I bought a food scale a couple of weeks after starting here, and started using it religiously about a month later - took me a while to get into that habit, but now I weigh almost everything - no more measuring spoons and cups. I found that I am rubbish at estimating portion sizes, although I am getting better.

I started walking in the pool in July, but had to curtail that after a couple of weeks due to hurting my knees. I then started walking around my neighborhood at the beginning of August for 30 or so minutes a day, and was doing that faithfully, except for a few days with hurt knees and my other chronic health issues, until a week ago when I was semi-attacked by a big dog in the neighborhood. The dog didn't bite me, but charged me and head-butted me - no injuries, but it has really freaked me out so I'm taking a short break. Other than that, I have done no exercise of any kind, so my weight loss is basically by lowering my calories alone.

As of Thursday, I'm down a total of 51 pounds, 30 of those since starting MFP. I have 44 pounds left to my goal, but I'll decide if I want to go that low when I get closer. I am rarely hungry - I get hungry around meal times, which is what it should be - no more ravenous hunger. As I've progressed in this, I find that it is just as important to me to meet my nutritional requirements as it is to lose weight, so I structure my menu around that fact. I have IBS and can't eat many vegetables (no salads), so I eat a lot of baked chicken, sandwiches, greek yogurt, avocados and make sure I get my fiber and calcium in, and I take a multi-vitamin every day. I count EVERYTHING, even one Altoid, Tums and my multi-vitamin. I drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water a day, and, when I want a treat, such as fast food or sweets, I either plan or adjust my daily menu around them so they fit into my calories and macros/micros. I still eat fast food, but I don't get sides or soft drinks anymore - I get unsweetened iced tea and just a sandwich. I get a donut about once a week, and eat ice cream about once a week too.

As so many people here say, if I can do it, anybody can do it. I had given up completely, so this is actually still kind of a surprise to me that I have lost this much weight. But, at this point, I have no doubts I will succeed in reaching my final goal. And then the hard part begins - maintaining. :)

Good luck to all! You can do it!!!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Congratulations, LaceyBirds, on your weight loss and moving toward a healthy weight! Thanks for sharing your story with us. It is so motivational to read how we can come back from an unhealthy lifestyle by changing our way of eating at any age. There's absolutely no excuse for anyone to give up because of age or health issues. Kudos!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    What a great post @LaceyBirds, I am truly inspired! I have been stuck for months, here it is September and my January goal was 30 pounds. I am down six. :(. I know I have not been "honest" with my diary work and know it's the key to success so I press on. Thanks again for your inspirational story!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Thank you both. :) It took me a long time to get to the point where I was able to do something about my weight. Again, as others have said in so many posts, something just "clicked" one day - probably a culmination of a lot of things, but I don't know what made this time different. I'm just glad it did. Hang in there, you can do it!
  • sus5n
    sus5n Posts: 3 Member
    I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic several years ago. Haven't had to take any meds, but my fasting blood sugar was usually between 100 and 120. I have lost 19 pounds with MFP and this morning my blood sugar was 82! Amazing what losing weight and exercise can do!
    Wonderful!!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • hopeinmn
    hopeinmn Posts: 35 Member
    I am 52 and just getting started back with MFP. Most of my friends have either dropped off or quit since I was last on. I'd love to make some new friends for support. Please add me if you wish :smile:
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Welcome to all the new people! I read these posts everyday, your stories are so motivating. My weigh-in is tomorrow, have my fingers crossed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!