HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yay for PHUL! I did it in maintenance and am going to back to it for a bulk this year. Love getting my powerlifting fix in early in the week.

I'm liking it so far, though I do it 3 days a week at the moment. I do the first 3 days then day 4 is the start of the next week. Hope after 10k to cut back a little on running and if I pick a gym closer to home I can do it at 4 days a week as intended. Planning to keep up with it until summer. :smile:

@psych101 - Always inspiring. Love the pictures. Maybe one day I'll learn how to flex for one of myself, we'll have to wait and see. hehe
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Arms progress - day one of stronglifts, compared to almost one year later!!

ntgmqjij2s3f.jpeg

And I have no idea if I've put this one in here but stomach from day one of NROLFW which I completed then one year of stronglifts

g049n6mxk62b.jpeg

And baby abs slowly emerging in my profile pic

I'm a huge advocate for women lifting. It will make you bulky....but in all the right places lol

WOW!! Amazing! If I may ask how many calories do you eat and your macro split? I'm trying to figure out best macro split to preserve muscle while on deficit...
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bump! The second my PT says I can do this, I'm going to start Strong Curves! Big vacation next summer that will be all bikini, all the time. Will have to take before pics soon. (Blech.)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the super comments everyone - I'm always a little hesitant to post pics on here lol

As for my intake, I have around about a 10-15% deficit from my TDEE - I've monitored my intake and loss for a really long time so I know my own sweet spot. I do take a break a maintenance every 4 months or so though. My macros are split roughly at protein 0.8g per lb of bodyweight, fat is 0.4g per lb and carbs are the rest mmmm carbs lol
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    To answer the "what did you do/are you doing?" questions:

I started with Stronglifts 5x5 (as I advanced, this was reduced to 3x5), which is an excellent full body, beginner program. I also highly recommend Starting Strength.

I currently do a push/pull/legs split, 3 times a week. My routine is currently broken down as follows:

Monday - Push:
    DB Bench Press
    DB Overhead Press
    Upright Rows
    Skullcrushers
    Dumbbell Flyes

Wednesday - Legs
    DB Squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Barbell Hip Thrusts
    DB Bulgarian Split Squats
    Abs (planks, sit ups, crunches, etc.)

Friday - Pull (with some added leg work)
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Row
    DB Lunges
    Glute Bridges
    Hammer Curls
    Reverse DB flyes.

May I friend you? I just started 5x5 have a lot to learn.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    scrittrice wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Wow everyone looks amazing!! Its probably already been asked a few times but can you still achieve these results using weight machines?

@Songbirdie90 any form of resistance training is a good idea. These results are because we kept as much muscle as we could while losing fat and that's why resistance training is a good idea

I personally don't use machines as I do prefer the free weights.

The free weights do help more so than machines because it forces you to use your stabilizer muscles such as your core where as machines don't.

What she said. Machines are better than nothing, but the results I've gotten with a barbell are much more striking than anything that ever happened with dumbbells and machines. YMMV, of course.

Especially with glutes.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the super comments everyone - I'm always a little hesitant to post pics on here lol

As for my intake, I have around about a 10-15% deficit from my TDEE - I've monitored my intake and loss for a really long time so I know my own sweet spot. I do take a break a maintenance every 4 months or so though. My macros are split roughly at protein 0.8g per lb of bodyweight, fat is 0.4g per lb and carbs are the rest mmmm carbs lol

Can you show how you get to the number of calories for each protein, fat, carbs. I.e. 169lbs x .8 G protein - then what do I do to get back to calories?

Thanks!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

ntgmqjij2s3f.jpeg

And I have no idea if I've put this one in here but stomach from day one of NROLFW which I completed then one year of stronglifts

g049n6mxk62b.jpeg

I'm a huge advocate for women lifting. It will make you bulky....but in all the right places lol

Are those abs just from the 5 SL exercises or did you add in core work? I'm unfamiliar with what the NROLFW program entails though, so maybe ab work is included in that one...
  • psych101
    Options

ntgmqjij2s3f.jpeg

g049n6mxk62b.jpeg

Are those abs just from the 5 SL exercises or did you add in core work? I'm unfamiliar with what the NROLFW program entails though, so maybe ab work is included in that one...

No ab work - I occasionally throw in some swissball jackknife pike things cos they're fun and I have zero balance or coordination so they help with that! Other than that my stomach is the result of lifting and focusing on getting lean - slight calorie deficit and solid amount of protein
  • psych101
    Options

Can you show how you get to the number of calories for each protein, fat, carbs. I.e. 169lbs x .8 G protein - then what do I do to get back to calories?

Thanks!

I think you can adjust your daily grams for each in the MFP food settings? Theres 4 calories in every gram of protein, and 9 in every gram of fat
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    psych101 - Thanks! I found the MFP settings you mentioned under the goals area for food macros. I'm just starting back at the gym, and meeting with a trainers in a week. Straight cardio just is not cutting it any more. I don't feel strong and it takes too much time with very little results.
  • getitamb
    Options
    s5wp4v1etsdz.jpg
    srzg3aoc201q.jpg

Still a work in progress. As you can see with my triceps.
  • getitamb
    Options
    1pg62rgr5vcs.jpg
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Hope2BFit81
    Hope2BFit81 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    More please!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This thread has been quiet. Thought I'd bump it with my most recent since I officially started a bulk. Happy lifting gals.

ETA, sorry these are me at the same weight. I was a little flat in the dress because I was just coming out of a deficit.

iay105l1aayj.jpg
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nice! @arditarose. I'm hoping to post pretty soon. SL 5x5s for almost a year. Seeing awesome results!
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    OneEyeUp wrote: »
    You all look great. Keep lifting. It increases bone density, and one of the main ailments of humans as they get older is osteoporosis. You want to be the old woman/man who can "run with the youngest of them." Many old people fracture and break bones simply from a fall, or getting up too fast. Weight lifting increases bone density by a variable 20% margin, so anyone who tells you to stop because it makes you "bulky," doesn't have a clue. Women naturally have less bone density than men, so for its extra important for the gals. Strong women make strong families. Keep it up.

Haha "you want to be the old woman/man who can run with the youngest of them". Im 43, and playing Aussie rules footy and can't wait to compete against girls half my age! I'm having a huge offseason and will be fit and strong for day 1 preseason training in January. Goal is to be in the top 10 out of the 30 + girls for fitness. I love to see the girls reactions when they see how well I do. Their impressed that I can keep up with them as I guess most of the 40 something year olds that they know are their parents and family members who are sedentary/average normal unfit types. I also like to compete against myself by improving from the year before. It's a great challenge.

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. I love lifting heavy too! What a rush!!! How much do you girls maintain on? I'm able to maintain anywhere between 2000-2600 depending on the day. I'm currently losing eating around 2000. A few more months of a 5-20% defecit and then I'll just do a forever recomp at minus 5 % defecit! :smiley:

I'm having an RMR test and dexa scan on Monday and I'll get my body fat % tested every 2 months along with taking photos.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun @skinny4me2be @justmytype

Check out this thread! Thought you might be interested :smile:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I missed this thread too. Maybe we can make it a sticky. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!