October 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zb8VijeDeM
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 I agree the putting Belk in Bridge Street was a mess for businesses around the water. I'd go over to Tommy's at lunch time and he would give me a pizza to throw to the fish in the "pond" LOL. Funny you should mention Skip and the military, she brought home an Air Force flyer from school yesterday and said she's considering the Air Force right after high school. I said "you go girl, they would be lucky to have you". I asked if there was a recruiter at school and she said no she went down to talk to the counselor and asked for the flyer.
    @jtarmom glad you talked to the PT and it's nothing serious. I try to do exercises the PT gave me for my back and leg daily but it's hard to find the time every day. I do my best though.
    @mamamollyt beautiful picture, I can't believe that's Japan I guess it's not what I expect when I think of Japan. So I need to ask, what are you doing there?
    @honunui fantastic tattoo I love it
    @kristinegift I had my mouth open when you said you didn't like the ocean LOL When people ask what I miss about Jersey I say "beach". :smile:
    @kstar_lee great run - glad you didn't die :smiley:
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    So after many months (too many) away, I'm back! I find the miles posted, the information shared and the support given so encouraging and motivating! Stanley, thanks for keeping this going, even while some of us (or me rather) had to flake out for awhile! So a 85 mile goal for the month of October.

10/1, 3 miles
    10/2, 5.2 miles
    10/3, 14 miles
    10/4, yoga for runners
    10/5, Zumba
    10/6, 4.75 miles
    10/7, 5.2 miles
    10/8, 8 miles
    10/9, rest
    10/10, local 5K here in Maine, finished in 25:31!!
    10/11, 6 mile hike
    10/12, 1 mile
    10/13, Zumba and yoga for runners
    10/14, 7.6 miles

Goal: 85 miles. Total 51.85 miles.
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @healthyfocused715 welcome back!

Okay ladies - who else HATES the sports bras with the removal pads. Seriously I'm doing laundry and there are no less than 12 pads laying on top of the dryer. I've had to write on them so I know which bra they go back into LOL The worse part, none are mine they are all Skips! They girl will not wear the same sports bra two days.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Okay ladies - who else HATES the sports bras with the removal pads. Seriously I'm doing laundry and there are no less than 12 pads laying on top of the dryer. I've had to write on them so I know which bra they go back into LOL The worse part, none are mine they are all Skips! They girl will not wear the same sports bra two days.

put them in and put a stitch or two in the middle of them or on the edges- secure them in place- no need to be chasing them around or shoving them back in.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    10/3 2.91
    10/4 5.16 (8.07)
    10/5 3.21 (11.28)
    10/7 3.12 (14.4)
    10/8 3.29 (17.69)
    10/9 3.00 (20.69) power walking on the treadmill after PiYo
    10/10 rest day
    10/11 12miles on the bike with the hubby. Been over a year since I have gotten on my road bike. Not counting these easy miles for my total. I'll do my long run in the morning. Time for some football.
    10/12 a few miles on the bike running errands.
    10/13 3.52 (24.22)
    10/01 3.78 (28)
    I'll be out of town until late Sunday. I might find some time to run, but not going to kill myself trying. Back at it on Monday. Have a great weekend to you all and run run run. :p

exercise.png
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

I so hate those removable pads. I have a giant collection and hate trying to fit them back into their original locations.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Was able to make it through today's run almost pain free! had some tightness in my calf towards the end but I did a long cool down and stretched for a while. Hopefully a rest day tomorrow and more stretching will get me back normal.

10/01: 4.34
    10/04: 4.92
    10/06: 4.96
    10/08: 1.69
    10/10: 4.78
    10/12: 5.12
    10/14: 1.65
    10/15: 5.04

For some reason my ticker isn't updating with my miles from today... I'll try again later. Total miles to date: 32.5/55
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

put them in and put a stitch or two in the middle of them or on the edges- secure them in place- no need to be chasing them around or shoving them back in.

I'm doing this! It drives me nuts trying to stuff them back in .. Only to find they're the wrong way up! Thanks for the tip!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Thanks @jorocka I was going to try that but I was afraid they would pucker up or something. I'll give it a shot. I can't imagine why they would be made like that to start with.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am moving my original goal of 40km up to 90km.. Not sure about reaching 90, but it's a challenge and that's the point, right? :)

exercise.png

@Stoshew71 I'd rather run slower than hurt myself! Thanks for the info earlier on, on this very topic! My shin is a little tender today (nothing compared to what it was like weeks ago though) because I've done 15km in the last two days.. So it's more of a distance thing rather than the pace/way I was running. Today is rest day but it feels soo great to be able to run! I'm sure everyone near where I run thinks I am crazy because I run with a huge smile on my face lol

@5BeautifulDays How good is yoga on stretch days?! I love it! :smile:

@kstar_lee Way to go!! 22 mins is fantastic! :smile:

@Somebody_Loved Glad to hear you made it through your run still! Hope the leg pain eases off with your stretches!

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @kareF - Thank you! Looks like we have about the same goal for the month!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Haha, kids!

What's the best one you have? (I need bra's- so ladies please feel free to share advice)

Oh @JoRocka dang! I wish I'd thought of the stitch. I just tossed the dang things. They are nice to have, but I gave up wrangling them about.
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Haha, kids!

What's the best one you have? (I need bra's- so ladies please feel free to share advice)

Oh @JoRocka dang! I wish I'd thought of the stitch. I just tossed the dang things. They are nice to have, but I gave up wrangling them about.

Mmmm I just remove the pads and throw them away. They don't seem to serve any purpose to me LOL. I use Old Navy ones and they work just great. I need good support and their medium support ones work well. Also have some Athleta ones, but they are rather expensive, although also nice. I have bought some really expensive ones at sport shops that chafe the living daylights out of me, so now I go for cheap and functional!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Oct 03      6.0      6.0
    Oct 04     11.2     17.2
    Oct 06      4.3     21.5
    Oct 08      6.3     27.8
    Oct 10      8.3     36.1
    Oct 11      6.0     42.1
    Oct 14      4.3     46.4
    Oct 15      5.1     51.5

exercise.png

5.1 treadmill miles. Halfway there halfway through the month!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Haha, kids!

Best bras I have: Victoria's Secret Incredible bra and the VS Standout bra (not any of the weird strappy back ones, but the regular styles). I also wear the Ultimate day to day because ever since I started marathon training, my daily boob sweat is out of control. But the VS sports bras have pads (non-removable), they almost never stink, and you can machine wash/dry them -- I've had no issues drying mine in a machine and I've had some of these for over a year.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    10/1: 8 miles am and 6.2 pm with the Thursday crew
    10/2: Rest day
    10/3: 10 miles with Saturday crew
    10/4: 13.1 - Princeton Half Marathon (new HM PR!)
    10/5: 5 miles recovery style
    10/6: O Holy Rest Day........
    10/7: 7 miles hills
    10/8: 10 miles (am), 6.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    10/9: Rest day
    10/10: 20.5 miles
    10/11: 4 miles
    10/12: Rest day
    10/13: 8 miles, very hilly!
    10/14: 7 miles speedwork
    10/15: 8 miles (am), 3.4 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew

Evening run felt much better/easier than this morning. Phew! Just 2 miles shake out after my drive to Baltimore tomorrow, and then GOAL HALF-MARATHON SATURDAY! So excited!!

116.6/220

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    On the subject of bras.... guys can just skip this post. :blush:
    Great idea on stitching the sports bra pads! I have one of those bags to wash lingerie in. I always put bras in the bag and then I hang the bras to dry. Sometimes I have to adjust the pads after the washing machine before I hang them but not usually. OMG I can't imagine restuffing those pads in -- that's just impossible.

I have a huge variety of sports bras. I think my favorites are an Under Armour and a VS. But then, I have a different model of VS that I am not that crazy about. It's got huge pads that look really fake or something. Today I got a Alexis Sports Bra by "Moving Comfort Surf" in the mail from a bike store, along with new bike shorts and Hoo Ha Ride Glide Chamois Butter Cream :blush: I wore the bra to my cycling class and day one felt great - but the real test is washing and running with it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Missing way to many days due to the dreaded "Un-expectedly working out of Town and no spare gear"
    Testing different Foods and Protein bars for HM Fuelling, Anything with raisins - NOT GOOD - Stomach felt like the Russian Olympic Weight Lifting Team was practising with the Gymnastic Team.
    Made my run a little awkward-uncomfortable. 9.96 km - needed to run past the yard not stop in it to get a pure 10km.

10/04 – 7.1 Km – 7.1 Km – 92.9 Km to go
    10/05 – 7.0 Km –14.1 Km – 85.8 Km to go
    10/07 – 12.5 Km –26.6 Km – 73.4 Km to go
    10/10 – 16.8 Km –43.4 Km – 56.6 Km to go
    10/15 – 9.96 Km – 53.36 Km – 46.64 Km to go - - 9.96 + 281.2 = 291.16 Km

exercise.png

So many great running locations/pictures.
    @skippygirlsmom I agree with you on the Marathon Distance. So far I have found my HM Training runs surprisingly comfortable/easy?- some might say I'm not pushing the pace. You holding Skip back- no I would say you inspire and motivate her.
    @JoRocka WoHO great job on the HM. Your Balancing act - dancing-running-lifting?
    My balancing act includes Hiking ( trail scouting for running club) Running, swimming and biking- not sure where/how to add some lifting to the mix.
    @kareF Moving your Challenge Goal - good on you. Not hurting after a 10K - Even Better.
    @kristinegift Have fun with your HM.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well I was feeling lazy today. There's something about the change in weather/daylight hours/etc. going from summer to fall that every year leaves me feeling tired for no good reason. It just screws up my circadian clock or something. So I figured I'd hit the hotel treadmill and just walk, since I hadn't gotten in all my steps today. At a mile and a half I figured this is taking too darn long. :) So I thought about @Stoshew71 and his newbie running mistakes article (at least I think it was his post-it seems like a good guess to be his, given how many great articles he posts!) and figured I'd add a short quick (for me anyway!) run in there. So I got in a mile and a half at 5mph, which is faster than my usual pace these days. Not a lot of mileage, but I figure if I can do that every so often eventually I can extend that pace to a 5K, or just try and run the mile and a half even faster, or whatever.

I'm in no rush to get faster, really. Mainly I just want build a nice mileage base, get in longer runs and eventually more runs per week with a mix of short and long, and then see how I feel. We all have to start somewhere.

10/5 3.5 miles
    10/6 4.0 miles
    10/8 3.0 miles
    10/11 3.75 miles
    10/12 4.5 miles
    10/14 3.25 miles
    10/15 1.5 miles for a total of 23.5 miles out of a goal of 42 for the month.