Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sunshine absolutely helps, at least for me. Happy Friday!
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey group,
    I have been pondering an interesting feature of my mind's functioning and I thought I might share this with you.
    On my way to work today I seriously contemplated buying a big bag of chips which would not be an unusual choice for me. Following the first thought, my mind would quickly switch to autopilot and I would notice myself making the purchase and then eating the chips as fast as my mouth could chew. Not exactly Mr Minfdul!! I would then hide the evidence and then decide that I would have to deny the act to my partner who is used to this ongoing problem. ....and there is more. I would step in the scales tomorrow and quite likely see the results of the salt as Imagine my body would have absorbed more fluid... to say but nothing of the hundreds (or more) of carbs coming my way. Then the emotional frustration, then back to the gym and then the promises to myself to make this the last time.
    Now, you may say that I am allowed to have snacks and I'm making a big deal out of this. I would agree if not for my truth that this has been my standard operating procedure for years/decades.
    I could go on and on.
    But today was different. I just said to myself. "Of course you want chips. " sigh.but for today you will be better off without them inside of you. And that's the best decision to make"
    And I did.
    Felt great in a simple sort of way.
    How do you manage the self-talk?
    Does it work for you?
    Can't wait to learn about your experiences.
    Have a great day/evening
    shel the chipless guy
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My family tells me life is better for them now that I have been off of all grains and most all sugars for a year. Sunshine helps too.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I bookmarked this thread some time back and took the time to read the entire thing just now. And I have to saw, the contributions by all have been awesome! Discussing these struggles openly on the forum will help others that won't speak up, and I hope it is helpful for all of you discussing your own struggles as well. Threads like this one and open discussions do a great deal to help end the stigma and stereotypes.

I went through a period of anxiety, short term depression, and some PTSD symptoms triggered by very high stress levels. It was quite the learning experience, and has made me much more aware of how many are dealing with such things daily. I have nothing but respect for those of you dealing with it as a long term part of life, and finding your way though it.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    shel the chipless guy

WAY TO GO! i believe other places on MFP call this a NSV non-scale victory kudos to you!
  • 68myra
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I bookmarked this thread some time back and took the time to read the entire thing just now. And I have to saw, the contributions by all have been awesome! Discussing these struggles openly on the forum will help others that won't speak up, and I hope it is helpful for all of you discussing your own struggles as well. Threads like this one and open discussions do a great deal to help end the stigma and stereotypes.

I went through a period of anxiety, short term depression, and some PTSD symptoms triggered by very high stress levels. It was quite the learning experience, and has made me much more aware of how many are dealing with such things daily. I have nothing but respect for those of you dealing with it as a long term part of life, and finding your way though it.

thank you for taking the time to leave this thoughtful and uplifting note. i, for one, truly appreciate it. :smiley:
  • BingerNoMore
    BingerNoMore Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with depression, and I'm an emotional eater so when it's bad it's really bad. Everyone is right, exercise helps so much or even just trying to get out of the house. I could stay in bed for days if I didn't have to go to college.
  • 68myra
    Options
    My family tells me life is better for them now that I have been off of all grains and most all sugars for a year. Sunshine helps too.

I think it is wonderful that your family is willing to give you this kind of feedback! it reminds me of when my now adult children were teenagers..... and they'd look at me and say: mom... i think you need to go for a run. :smile:
  • shelleygold
    Options
    What great comments. I'm pleased the thread reaches people at different levels. I think the more we think through the way our moods and our eating behaviours play out in our individual lives, the more likely we are to expand our insight and awareness and increase our choices. We are all a product of the contexts of our life. By contexts, I mean our life circumstances, our background, history, relationships, life experiences etc The more we create a collective consciousness anda free flow of information, knowledge and ideas, the more we learn and develop. That is best part for me of being a social animal. We can be part of a group that cares and shares. Thank you
  • shelleygold
    Options
    I also struggle with depression, and I'm an emotional eater so when it's bad it's really bad. Everyone is right, exercise helps so much or even just trying to get out of the house. I could stay in bed for days if I didn't have to go to college.

Hi Bingernore,
    You are courageous when you break through the pull to stay in bed. Keep reminding yourself that Depression is a mood disorder and it is fueled by feelings which knock us around like falling bowling pins when the bowling ball hits down the middle. We have to focus our attention externally(away from our internal experiences) and do what we have promised ourselves we are going to achieve. Not easy; ever! But possible when we get into the habit of doing whatever it takes. You are truly brave. Thanks for sharing!
    Shel
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all seven pages of comments but I read enough to know this is the thread and the support I have been looking for. My depression was diagnosed 8 years ago and it literally had no impact on me losing weight last year. I lost 26lbs. I worked out 3 to 5 days a week. I did meal prep. logged in everyday for 285 days. then found out i was pregnant. and had sch as a pregnancy complication. then my s/o left me during my 4th month of pregnancy. My depression has only gotten worse. The baby was born in July and I cannot seem to get back to myself. I failed my depression screening prior to discharge from the hospital, they increased my SSRI prescription twice now and i go to the therapy once a week. but, i can't get back to the person i was. I don't cook. I am the complete opposite of a comfort eater---yesterday I had 500 calories ALL day. i took a three hour nap with the baby and then another hour or so holding the baby. I got off the couch to make him bottles, change his diaper and let him play for a bit on his play mat. i had a fiber bar, a protein bar and some chips. all before 2pm and nothing after. no dinner. I have no energy, no passion, no strength. i see you say exercise and sunshine help. but how? how do i get those when i cannot imagine packing up the kids and going out of the house unless it's necessary? how do i force my appetite back? I gained 62lbs during pregnancy and it has hit my self esteem hard....i'd love to be healthy again, but all i feel is grey. and all my doctors say is, "maybe your dose needs incresed...." i am already at 125mg. i feel like it is more than needing doses increased. and obviously i am doing therapy too but yet here i am.
  • alyjb1121
    Options
    i should add, i have talked to my dr. she tested my glucose, tested me for mono, thyroid, anemia. she told me to take a multivitamin and iron pill and i am. but not much has changed in those three weeks so far. i asked my OB to test me for a hormonal imbalance and she said she could not. she said since i have progesterone for bc it wouldn't be accurate anyway. i read about adrenal fatigue too but it seems the medical community doesn't recognize that either even if my symptoms mirror what the community that does recognize it has to say about it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Hey group,
    I have been pondering an interesting feature of my mind's functioning and I thought I might share this with you.
    On my way to work today I seriously contemplated buying a big bag of chips which would not be an unusual choice for me. Following the first thought, my mind would quickly switch to autopilot and I would notice myself making the purchase and then eating the chips as fast as my mouth could chew. Not exactly Mr Minfdul!! I would then hide the evidence and then decide that I would have to deny the act to my partner who is used to this ongoing problem. ....and there is more. I would step in the scales tomorrow and quite likely see the results of the salt as Imagine my body would have absorbed more fluid... to say but nothing of the hundreds (or more) of carbs coming my way. Then the emotional frustration, then back to the gym and then the promises to myself to make this the last time.
    Now, you may say that I am allowed to have snacks and I'm making a big deal out of this. I would agree if not for my truth that this has been my standard operating procedure for years/decades.
    I could go on and on.
    But today was different. I just said to myself. "Of course you want chips. " sigh.but for today you will be better off without them inside of you. And that's the best decision to make"
    And I did.
    Felt great in a simple sort of way.
    How do you manage the self-talk?
    Does it work for you?
    Can't wait to learn about your experiences.
    Have a great day/evening
    shel the chipless guy

I understand the feeling. What I do is make sure to get the SMALLEST bag there because I know I will pig out! But if you're having trouble making yourself even do that, it's best to avoid it for a while until you get some new habits worked out, then slowly add it back in.

@alyjb1121 Have you talked to your doctor about postpartum depression? That can drag on for a longer time than people realize, and you may need to increase or change your meds to account for it. I know people suggest sunshine and exercise, but I'll be honest, that didn't help me at all with my depression. It made me feel worse actually, because I couldn't exercise well due to asthma, so that just fed into my feeling bad about myself! I would seriously consider a second opinion on everything. You're well within your rights to seek out another doctor and see what they say. Try and search for a doctor that specializes in depression, they may have other options your current doctor doesn't know about it.

As for eating, the only thing I can think of to try is schedule your meals. Make them small at first and gradually increase what you're eating, but plan out what you're going to eat at what time. If you put on a schedule that you are supposed to eat this food at this time, it might help you at least keep eating. Even if you're not hungry, eat what you planned on anyways. It may not bring your appetite back, but at least you will be getting the nutrition you need.
  • alyjb1121
    Options
    I may try the schedule thing. I wake up super early for work, and feed the baby but not my oldest daughter as she rides the bus to school from daycare and eats there.....so sometimes during the week i only eat lunch. I sometimes even make a dinner small enough for my daughter knowing as soon as it is done i am going to the couch or bed to lay down and not going to eat it anyway, which is sad because her and i used to eat dinner as a family together every night.

My depression is due to serotonin levels not PPD. I was diagnosed before baby #1 was even a thought. she is just now 7 and i was diagnosed 8-9 years ago. It's been on and off but this pregnancy definitely didn't help. There is nothing happy about feeling broken physically all the time and then to go through it all alone too. It was awful. I have two family doctors who have treated my depression for years with the meds, now i also do therapy just starting after the baby and my therapist is getting me into a psychiatrist for med management going forward but my first available appt is 2 months away still. and even both OBs i have seen blame the depression and just want upped meds and therapy.

i will definitely try to schedule meals....If i tell myself it is for my daughter's benefit then i might actually be able to fight the fatigued feelings and follow through with it. THANKS! :)
  • baigs786
    baigs786 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very interesting thread... I've had some extended periods of anxiety and panic without a root cause in the past before and noticed dramatic weight loss... This was a few years back and now that I'm healthier thank God, find it challenging to drop the pounds. Any how, the replies on here are extremely helpful and it makes it easier to be able to relate to some of the struggles.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    alyjb1121 I am glad you are already getting a doctors help with your depression. I think the rest of it is truly up to you. Everyone is different, so you will have to push yourself to try little things that could make a difference. I know it is a huge deal to pack everyone up to go outside, so maybe you could just step outside your door (within earshot) for a minute, now and again, for some sun and fresh air. You could also dance around the living room to get your heart rate up for a few minutes. Most importantly don't make things worse by not eating. Not getting adequate nutrition can make depression worse, and kill your energy levels. Some people say "you have to do this for yourself," but for me the biggest and most succcessful changes I have made have been for the welfare of my kids. They are great motivators. I was eventually able to keep it up just for myself. Dubird's schedule is a good one. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Please take care of yourself! I know it is hard. :)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP, for starting this thread. Amazing information.
    I have had depression and anxiety since I was 8 years old.. Always unlikable and lonely, so I turned to food as comfort up until recently, actually. I had incredibly low self esteem, hated myself and thought no one would ever love or even like me. Supplements and diet did nothing.

Last year, I was prescribed the highest dose of Wellbutrin.. I didn't improve until a few months ago when I restarted kickboxing and resistance training and realized that the medication was only an aid, and that I still needed to help myself (which was hard!) I still have my moments here and there, but it is still better than constant deep anxiety and depression. My lack of confidence (not all the time) and anxiety still get in the way.

This thread is helping quite a bit. I really needed this.
  • alyjb1121
    Options
    @soulofgrace that is definitely what I am experiencing now with being so run down; not taking care of myself has made my situation so much worse (and I am now fighting a case of bronchitis on top of it). But you are right, I need to do this for myself but my kids are a big motivator too and maybe I can make some small changes around them that will help. I just feel so overwhelmed. All the time. I am hoping all the things I am doing will chip away at that feeling but until then it's kind of a catch 22--i can't get healthy because i am not healthy etc. This thread is very supportive & I will try some of these suggestions, a little at a time!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    alyjb1121 wrote: »
    make some small changes...I just feel so overwhelmed. All the time... little at a time!

Yep, a little at a time. It is a constant battle for all of us! :) But constantly battling the demons makes us stronger. And consistently bringing yourself back to the present helps with the overwhelmed feeling. Read about mindfulness meditation. Listen to some good music. Watch your kids play. But keep your mind on what your doing, not ALL the things you have to do. It's something I have to practice as well. It's very hard. But you gain strength over time with every little component of your treatment. And eat! ;):)

• Surzy
    Surzy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Crikey, to mirror the sentiment of a lot of other posters here - thank you OP for raising this issue, and to the contributors for their input and suggestions.

I'm at the start of a long road - i was diagnosed with depression 10 months ago, tho the conversation suggested it has been an issue since my mid-teems and i'm 33 now, thanks to cuts i have been unable to access any clinical help until recently (i didn't want to try meds until i'd tried something else but with hindsight that seems like a foolish decision - as if i'd started 10 months ago I may feel very different now!) I am working with an eating disorder therapist for compulsive eating which until a few weeks ago I would have streniously denied I had .... but that's a thing in itself .... I lie to myself, that i'm ok, that i'm being silly and over reacting - thank you to whoever posted the link to the cognative disorders as I think i do all of those (generalising ;) )

I only popped back on to restart my food diary as part of the therapy - i'm so glad I did.