Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I recommend Lose It For Life by Steve Arterburn. Steve talks about how we have to deal with the "it" first. The "it" is what we are eating to medicate. Then there are lots of weight loss ideas too. Read it with the workbook for a more focused way to work through the material.
  • Surzy
    Surzy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recommend Lose It For Life by Steve Arterburn. Steve talks about how we have to deal with the "it" first. The "it" is what we are eating to medicate. Then there are lots of weight loss ideas too. Read it with the workbook for a more focused way to work through the material.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion - I just looked up the prologue and workbook - it's a bit 'biblical' for my aethiest sensitivities :)

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Surzy wrote: »
    (i didn't want to try meds until i'd tried something else but with hindsight that seems like a foolish decision - as if i'd started 10 months ago I may feel very different now!)

just my two cents: that doesn't seem foolish to me at all. and i've been at this for a loooooooong time :smiley:

a decade or so ago, i would frequently remind my friends that they are precious children of God. having a dear friend with "aethiest sensitivities", i changed that to:
    you are a precious child of the universe

i believe it is time i started reminding myself of that fact too
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dear tribe,
    I was reflecting on many of the amazing posts presented over the past few days here and several from the more"generic" population on MFP and felt proud that this thread has a real focus which I hadn't anticipated. There is a degree of genuine support and empathy that permits a degree of sharing allowing for honest exploration of how our minds and bodies are interacting. Beautiful submissions from lovely 68myra which show insight and love and her invitation to see ourselves as children of the universe, the strength of alyjb1121 and her ability to love and support her kids in the face of gripping depressed thoughts and feelings, allenpriest's spiritual energy, soulofgrace's sheer courage and insights and EVERYONE'S thoughtfulness which I could never do justice to in a short reference.
    Clearly, our mental health and the thoughts are brains generate sets the scene for energy levels, interpretations of how our lives are going and whether we see ourselves as successes or failures. For each of us, our reality, generated by our brains informs us about the persons we are and what is good, what is bad, what is worth fighting for and what battles we are losing, what is helping and what is hurting and above everything else, what the meaning is for carrying on. I just think it is astounding that a thread that combines two very difficult processes, Mood states and Eating patterns and behaviours draws such beautiful people who may not know their worth, their quality, their depth and intelligence and their capacity to support others. The ironic part to all of this is that (I think) self worth is a misunderstood concept. I think we learn about and attain our value from the world around us (for better or worse) and it is not until we have a sense of how we impact on others and make meaningful contributions that we truly know what we stand for as people. Therefore, it is vital that we create for ourselves social support networks with people who are safe and capable of demonstrating respect, love, appreciation and friendships so that we can all bathe in what human beings need...acceptance. I feel joy that we are creating an atmosphere of acceptance and respect in this thread and just wanted to say thanks.
    Shel
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    @alyjb1121 I think you can still suffer from postpartum depression, even if you are diagnosed with depression beforehand. Maybe pregnancy can make it worse, I'm going off second hand information here and I haven't really discussed it with my doctor yet. Though, she did say that depression can worsen after pregnancy.

Also, when scheduling your meals, schedule some 'you' time as well. Even if it's just an hour at night to read something you like, make time for yourself. You'd be surprised how much that actually does help.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    @alyjb1121 I think you can still suffer from postpartum depression, even if you are diagnosed with depression beforehand. Maybe pregnancy can make it worse, I'm going off second hand information here and I haven't really discussed it with my doctor yet. Though, she did say that depression can worsen after pregnancy.

it definitely can worsen the depression if you go through the pregnancy and birth all alone, that's for sure. but i think most cases of ppd are very similiar in trait and very unlike mine. idk though but either way, it's depression and it sucks the life out of me one way or another.

i have like no "me" time since it's just me and two kids. and when i do get a bit of it (like last saturday was the first time in months that i got a few hours without the kids) then i overwhelm myself with thoughts of guilt. i know i shouldn't. but maybe a little each night might help with that. Thanks!!

• Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I know I don't stop in and say anything but I do stop in and read up. Y'all have been doing so well. I've been more off the wagon than on for the last 2-3 months. It's always... "I'll begin again tomorrow"! UGH! I feel so yucky AND I've gained 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks since beginning a move. My low was 239. I had went up to 248.4, then 2 days ago I was 246.6 and then this morning I was 244.6. So I guess I'm losing what I had gained. Sucks having to re-lose them though.

I'm going after work and getting a last yucky dinner and getting some proteins, veggies and carbs after that. Then restarting yet again tomorrow. I'm going to get this weight off of me if it's the last thing I do. I HATE feeling like this. It's even caused my depressive-bipolar kick back in. I had it controlled pretty good with meds and being healthy. Sucks! I really hope I can get this under control. The last thing I want is to give up. I have NO plans of doing that. I'm still fighting.

Good luck and I'll make sure to stop in every now and then. Keep at it!
  • Surzy
    Surzy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    (i didn't want to try meds until i'd tried something else but with hindsight that seems like a foolish decision - as if i'd started 10 months ago I may feel very different now!)

just my two cents: that doesn't seem foolish to me at all. and i've been at this for a loooooooong time :smiley:

a decade or so ago, i would frequently remind my friends that they are precious children of God. having a dear friend with "aethiest sensitivities", i changed that to:
    you are a precious child of the universe

i believe it is time i started reminding myself of that fact too

I love that :) Thank you! We are, after all, all made of star stuff :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi, thanks for your suggestion - I just looked up the prologue and workbook - it's a bit 'biblical' for my aethiest sensitivities :)

It is certainly written from a Christian perspective.

Regardless, I think the approach Steve takes is a solid one.
  • 68myra
    Options

It is certainly written from a Christian perspective.

Regardless, I think the approach Steve takes is a solid one.

Certainly working to solve the "it" that drives self-destructive behaviors is a valid premise. I believe I've heard and read similar ideas from 12 step programs and even on "Oprah" (she has been open and vocal about her struggles with weight)
    And, yes, I believe that over-eating is, indeed, a self-destructive behavior. It is for this chick anyway.
    As for ignoring the "biblical" angle...... I, personally, could do that. Somehow I think that having four children has given me a lot of practice with ignoring some things.
  • 68myra
    Options
    oooooh, it irritates me when only half of what i write posts from my iPad! let me see if i can remember the rest:

Please don't get me wrong, i ADORE all four of my kids. but i'm human, and there's only so much one can listen to.... and then there are the hormonal teen years :wink:

wishing all of you a lovely Saturday!

you are all precious children of the universe! :smiley:
  • shelleygold
    Options
    Hi Group
    There are so many challenges in our day to day life to be all things to all people. Our willingness to be available to our families, friends, work mates,neighbours etc and to ensure acceptance and approval can make us overwhelmed with self judgement and uncertainty. Perhaps we need to think differently. We can only ever be ourselves and share moments of our lives as we can.
    I have felt a bit overwhelmed this week but wanted to say hello to all of you.
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Options
    sorry to hear you've been feeling overwhelmed, but grateful you dropped us a line. hello back to ya! :smile:
  • shelleygold
    Options
    Hey Everyone
    Back on the saddle. My mood fluctuations require thoughtfulness, mindfulness, and trust. When I feel overwhelmed, I utilise the skill of compartmentalising and sort out the issues one by one and do the "what do I need to accept" and "what do I need to problem solve" gig and that works fairly well. Sure the emotions are there and in particular the feels of "why bother" but I want more out of my life then the doldrums. I had gained back what I had thought I lost in terms of weight last week and felt despair. But when I worked out the matter from a different point of view, I lifted my mood and got down to business in terms of what was going on for me. May sound like hard work but I suppose that is what it takes to get some degree of balance back. I imagine that my strategies would not work for everyone and certainly not for those who were given the tools much earlier on in their lives to make great choices in terms of food, relationships, life-style etc. But....for others who have had to discover different pathways and acquire new skills and techniques...well, you may be able to relate to the struggles I am describing. No matter what happens, I want to grow and develop and see what happens next in the stream of uncertainty we all swim in. How are you doing? What do you do when you feel overwhelmed and swallowed up by your lives? Would love to hear from you.
    Shel
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i forgot to log over the weekend, so i do it today so i can see my week accurately. Guess i only had one meal Saturday and a deficit of 900 calories....I don't even remember being hungry. My energy levels have slowly been increasing. and my accountability is easier at work but i can't figure out how to take care of myself at home. I just don't have it.....but i am fighting for it. it will come. when i feel overwhelmed though, i just do nothing. it helps even if it is counterproductive....but for a productive answer; talking to a friend or my therapist or going to visit my mama helps.
  • 68myra
    Options
    good work, alyjb1121!!!! keep going, i think you are doing fabulous! :smiley:
  • 68myra
    Options
    to answer Shel's question: i hate to admit it, but i just had a big fat temper tantrum. so, there you go. i yelled at my youngest kid so loud and hard, it hurt my back. i fear she is destined to have a mood disorder too :( and her mother yelling at her doesn't help, but omg, she would test the patience of Ghandi.

on a positive note, i've managed to eat an extremely low number of sugar grams today, so my brain will be better equipped tomorrow. whew.

thank you to all of you who have served your country. my father served in ww2, my husband served during peacetime. i appreciate the sacrifices made by all troops and their families.
  • 68myra
    Options
    soooooooooo, yesterday i was feeling poorly about my outburst of anger. but today is today, the sun is shining here, the kids have vowed to not argue today(it's their daddy's birthday) and...... i'm actually functioning. might be a fluke, might not, but i'll take it any way i can.

hoping for positivity for all you precious children of the universe.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Myra, I can relate. I keep my cool for such a long time, then the universe tilts, they take it too far, and I lose it. I tend to lose sleep and then beat myself up the whole next day. I figure it teaches them that in relationships there will be these times! Thats what I get from it anyway, and I am learning right along with them. I'm glad you're doing better today.
  • shelleygold
    Options
    Hi,
    Dear Myra, even children of the universe are human and can be placed at the mercy of that part of our brai.n that controls the fight/flight response. When our primitive brain is triggered, we can yell at our best friend, smash our favourite toy, run when we should face our issues or fight when we should bow out . It takes strength,courage and self awareness to pick ourselves up after an awful reaction that we are not proud of and realign our focus, make amends and try and respond differently when we are challenged beyond our levels of tolerance.The same apples, I think, to our management of our food and weight. Last week my brain did everything it knew how to do to make me give up, cash in, bury myself in sugar and salty foods. A great example of how my moods trigger my food compulsions and vice versa. But, thanks to people like you writing on this thread, and my own insight into how I can manage the ups and downs, I let the thunder and lightning g storm pass and life is a wee bit calmer again.... Until the next storm.
    Let's keep up the support, love, advice and hope.Best therapy I can think of
    Love
    shel