Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy ... love your ticker! Good going!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Saturday Success ... Yesterday I had pasta for dinner ... and did not overeat! I prepared a sort of Carbarnara but put grated carrots into the skillet along with some baby bella mushrooms and garlic. It was soooo good that I think I will do it again one day. Even my cat was trying to lick my plate.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Yay, made it through Hallowe'en with 4 little kiddies, lots of candy and pizza and only had a couple of small bites....I'm getting better at this!
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sunday Share ... Well, I still have stuff to do even though it is Sunday, and I do not like to do any work on Sundays.

it's a habit from my childhood when my dad would have us dress up for church and then we stayed dressed up the rest of the day.

My mom would prep food on Saturday and roast the chicken when we got home from church, of course it was a one-pot chicken with some potatoes, carrots, and maybe onions right in the roaster along with the bird. (Sometimes instead, she would do a rice stuffing for the bird, and my sister still stuffs her whole chickens that way.) My sister liked the legs, my brother the breast, my mom was ok with either white or dark meat, and my dad usually got the back, tail, and two medalions We had a family nursery rhyme about that tail ... and it was such great fun to all say it together to the one who ended up with the tail on his/her plate.

As I recall, I liked the chicken wings from the bird and the family meal we had together; but what I really wanted to do with the rest of my day was put on some jeans and sneakers and go ride my bike or play softball with the neighborhood kids. Instead, I had to stay in a dress, and slip, and stockings (thank God I could have house slippers on instead of walking shoes), and we did things as a family together. Sometimes it was a visit to or from some of my parents' friends and their kids, other times we sat around the dining table and my dad tried to teach us his native tongue with flash cards, or we played cards, or we sat around and ate sunflower seeds.

I loved those Sunflower Seed eating get togethers. It was a winter activity and my mom always grew several very large black-seeded or gray-striped sunflowers to roast for over the winter. When it was autumn she made Pumpkin and Squash seeds for us. During the holidays it would be mandarin oranges and pomegranites and nuts in their shells that we sat around and shared. Often, my dad would tell us a fairy tale or finally give in to our badgering and reveal a little bit of family history from the 'old country'. And, my dad would read verses out of the Bible to us.

So, this all happened when I was a child and young girl, (I married at 19 and then had a home of my own), yet I find that the older I get the more the traditions I followed as a youngster come back to me as the way to lead my life. Thus, on Sunday, I may prepare a simple meal but I will do no sweeping or sewing.

One of those traditions was preparing for confession and communion by fasting from Saturday suppertime until after receiving communion during Sunday Liturgy. I haven't attended the church of my youth in many years and haven't received confession or communion in about 5 years ... and not in the church of my youth. Yet today I found myself googling the directions to the church in Brooklyn NY where the last priest of my parent's faith that I knew and loved as a man of God has a parsonage. I found myself fanicfully thinking about travelling there to make a confession to this man and restore myself to those religious traditions of my youth.

Perhaps by tomorow I will have forgotten that fanciful thinking, but today I share it with all MFP friends.
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Monday Check in

Down a couple of pounds from last week. Still have a bit to go to get back to the December 2014 weight. My goal is to get back to that weight by the same date in December this year, or better it, than I was last year on that date.
    Follow-through
    Niki
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Deviled Egg Day!
    Did you know that another name for deviled eggs is eggs mimosa? This dish is a traditional favorite in both American and French cultures. Deviled eggs are made with hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, and seasoning, and can be served as a side dish, appetizer, or main course.
    While deviled eggs originated in ancient Rome, the term "deviled" didn't appear until the 18th century when it was used to describe highly seasoned, fried, or boiled dishes. By the 19th century, the word "deviled" was used to describe hot seasonings in general. Today, not all deviled egg recipes are spicy, but a little cayenne pepper or hot mustard can always give them an extra kick.
    Make your favorite family recipe tonight to celebrate National Deviled Egg Day!

” It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it.” ~Albert Einstein

11857432.png

Tom
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    The Zombie run was a success, we had 158 sign up for the event. Everyone who attended had a blast and want to do it again next year. I am glad it is over and was a success.

Will catch up more with everyone later this week.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Tuesday Goals ... Since we are to have unseasonably warm temps today and Wednesday, I have set my sites on decluttering the 3-season porch to ready it for winter. i also want to get into some parts of the back yard with the weed-wacker and cut down stuff with it, if the wacker can cut through the stuff (I cannot cut it by hand any longer) ... those 2 goals plus my need to grocery shop today and drugstore shop on Wednesday (Senior discount days) will be my activity goals for the next couple or days.

I also have a cooking goal ... as I have run out of the last soup I made. I think I have enough ingredients on hand to make a nice Borscht ... so I'm planning on that for tonights supper.

Wanted to share a different breakfast that I cooked up this morning. It fits into my eating plan quite nicely ... and it is savory. While I was making my coffee, I decided to cook up a small batch of cornmeal mush (I love porridges) and then had to think of a way to use it for breakfast .... so into a skillet I cut up a couple slices of bacon to crisp while the cornmeal finished cooking. Then I added 1/4 sliced onoin, 1/4 sliced red bell pepper to the bacon and when everything looked good, I drained off some of the bacon grease and dolloped some cornmeal on top of the bacon and veggies and let it cook some more. I'm finishing that breakfast as I type this and I want to tell you ... it is so yummy. It should also hold me until well into the afternoon, even with the hard work I'll be doing in about 30 minutes.

@Lauriek70 ... so glad your Zombie Run was a success. This must be such a high for you!

Follow-through
    Niki
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love deviled eggs, I like your quote too @Morgori I try to live by a similar motto, "Leave it better than you found it." Whether that means fixing something or just appreciating.
    I am struggling with a bad cold and it is hard for me to care about what I put in my mouth when I can't taste anything and I am always feeling hungry because of the post nasal drip. I feel like a major pity party is coming on, only postponing it until I have the energy. LOL
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 - I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to reconnect with the traditions of your youth. You are blessed to have had a strong family that incorporated faith and togetherness into their child-rearing. You should follow through with your wish to reconnect with that faith and tradition, though I don't believe God cares what you wear or what you look like when you come to Him, He is overjoyed when you come.
    Your post makes me wish that my parents had given faith and God a chance.

I just tried Lean Cuisine's Thai-style Noodle with Chicken - wow, soooo tasty! The spicy peanut sauce was awesome and the whole wheat noodles and veggies were just the right portions. Will definitely put this one on my "frequent flyer" list!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Wow--feels like I haven't posted in ages, but I have been keeping up with reading the thread. I also got back to logging for the past few days coming in close to, or under, goal. Halloween was a bit of a binge--between candy and a party, I don't even want to think about the calorie count for Saturday. :blush:

@tracy (goins)-- I just bought a few lean cuisine's as back ups when I don't have time to prepare lunch. I love the sesame chicken and korean beef--I will have to try the thai needle chicken; I love pad thai, so I bet I will like it. Thanks for the tip. :smile:

@angelika-- I hope you shake the cold quickly. One reason I've gotten so off track over the past few months is due to my 6 week respiratory infection. Like you, I found I got careless about food and couldn't really exercise. Now, I'm pretty much back to full health, but struggling to get back on track with food and exercise.

@niki-- we are also experiencing a very mild November so far. Lovely 60s and 70s for this week with only a slight chance of rain. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to take advantage and get my yard work done, but at least I've been able to get in some good walks with gunner. I love your goal to get back to your previous low by December. I know you can do it!

@laurie-- glad the you run was successful and you exceeded your registration goal. :)

@mel-- sounds like you did better than me avoiding that candy. Great job!

@kah-- love the pic of zoe! So adorable!

@terri-- glad you made it through the move.

Tuesday Goals:
    My only immediate fitness goal right now is to continue to log every day. I've been in the pattern where I log for a couple of days, and then stop again. I'm now on my 3rd day of consistent logging--it's not all pretty, but at least I'm doing it.

As far as exercise, I've been walking gunner, but still haven't renewed my gym membership. Money is tight as my DH switched over from the temp agency's payroll to his employer's payroll. In addition, I've haven't had a lot of time to get to the gym with the end of the quarter grading demands. Now we have parent/teacher conferences coming up for the next two weeks, and I don't want to drop $300+ on the membership if I know I'm not going to use it. I'm thinking I will renew it next week b/c I'm off Wed for Veteran's Day--seems like I should be able to make that my re-start date.

Grading Goals:
    1. 10/41 Blake journals
    2. x/59 Thoreau essays
    3. x/59 Montana 1948 diction assignments

Exercise Goals:
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- rest day (P/T conferences)
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + run outside
    Sun-- walk gunner + yard work
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues-- rest day (P/T conferences)
  • jsnail89
    jsnail89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. So I'm relatively new to logging and very new to using mfp community areas. Just looking for some friends to help me stay motivated and vice versa! I'm 26, 5'7, SW 325, CW 317, GW whatever is healthy!

So yup! Glad to make all of your acquaintances :)
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... that my conscious mind can remember all the 'tips, tricks, and rules' that I have accumulated into my noggin.

Case in point ... yesterday, after I worked out in the yard all afternoon I decided to head to the grocery store and pick up a rotisserie chicken for dinner because I was hungry and hadn't made the soup yet ... and I forgot my Grocery Shopping 101 Rule # 1 ... eat BEFORE you shop.

Natch something or three got into the grocery cart that are not on my "Niki's Standard Grocery List" ... and 6 pieces of chocolate covered sponge candy, and 3.5 ounces each of German Bologna and Hard Salami, along with a pound loaf of seeded rye bread. Natch, the bag of sponge candy stuck to the palm of my hand and ended up in the car cabin with me and an empty bag came into the house with me. Then the German Bologna sang it's siren song all evening and the only way to shut it up was to eat it along with a couple slices of bread. Then this morning, when I reached into the fridge for an egg, somehow the package of hard salami came out instead of an egg ... and so that was breakfast, again with a couple sliced of bread ... which actually measures out to 3 ounces of bread for the center slices! ...

Point being, it doesn't look bad on the food log, calorie or macro wise, but it is the kind of food that makes me retain fluids and sets off cravings. Thank God I had the werewithal to only let a small amount of those make it to the grocery check out ... cause there are not foods that I have any willpower over to stay away from if they are in the house. And now they are gone ... and next time I grocery shop, I need to remember that Rule #1.

@GOINSTD12 ...Thanks, I don't think there is anything wrong with returning to old traditions either. My sister and brother were brought up in the same household as me, but they did not yearn for the family traditions the way I did and do. Perhaps it's because I was the middle child. By the way, thanks for the tip about the LeanCuisine dish you tried, perhaps it will find it's way into my grocery cart in the future.

@AngelikaLumiere ... if you are hungry, eat! Just hope that you are consuming nutritious food, and food that helps things 'flow' ... brothy soups, hot tea, water ... you want to rehydrate yourself. Nuff said from this old grandma! Hope you feel better soon.

@skinnyjeanzbound ... good news that you are feeling better and are logging once again. That nice weather in my area is going to be gone in another day. Today it absolutely beautiful and sunny (Chicago is so much more sunny than Buffalo), however cloud cover will come in this evening and we have rain on the forecaste, as well as a return to seasonable weather.

@jsnail89 ... Welcome aboard. Hope you bookmark this page so you can find us again. We love hearing what and how other's are pursuing their weight loss and fittness goals.

AFM ... Today's activity is to tackle the 3-season porch. Yesterday's activity was all afternoon but I had such trouble with the weed-wacker string constantly breaking that I spent more time restringing it than I did cutting with it. In the end, I ended up pulling things up and that has, of course, caused my back, hips, and knees to be complaining today. Maybe that yard will not get done this autumn after all ... The Vietnam Veteran's Association called yesterday about a pickup in my neighborhood on Nov 16 and I promised a load of stuff for their collection, so the porch is going to get a work through today for items to donate.

Follow-through
    Niki

Good Morning @Morgori ...
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good Morning.

@Karen~ I miss my snugly fur-ball now that I'm back at work. :frowning: Ugh, on gym costs—I didn’t realize you paid for a year in advance (usually save money that way though). We just found out our insurance premiums are going up another $25/pay period next year (they went up about $40/pay period last year)—I could be gym shopping, not sure I can swing my swanky gym with essentially a $50/mo pay cut. :confounded:

@Laurie~ I'm so glad your Zombie run was a success! :smiley:

@Tom~ Deviled eggs are a great snack!

@Angelika~ Its so hard to eat right when you feel like crap and can’t taste anything. I think my favorite thing when I’m sick is tomato soup and grilled cheese, it’s possible to “healthify” both though. :wink: I hope you feel better soon!

@Tracy~ I had that same lunch yesterday (very tasty). :lol: I don’t typically eat frozen meals, but my lack of ability to cook right now has me relying on them for b’fast and lunch. I’ve been trying to choose the meals that are more organic in nature with no preservatives—I’ve found a few Kashi that I really like along with the new line of Lean Cuisine.

AFM~Not much to report. I returned to work this week under a light duty, limited walking medical release. I think my boss is happy to have me back so has been really helpful in retrieving my mail among other things. Even though I keep my foot elevated at work and take Tylenol throughout the day I hurt most of the time and swelling sets in about mid-way through the day, which makes the cast really uncomfortable. I follow up with the surgeon tomorrow, hopefully he can offer some relief (aside from saying I need to stay home) and the rest of the sutures are ready to come out. While off recovering, I did manage to apply to grad school just to take a few classes to become certified in Enterprise Systems—should go a long way on my continued search to advance my career. Hopefully all goes well and I’ll start in January, with certification exams in the summer.

Have a good day!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

7a7nfmfx37s6.jpg

National Eating Healthy Day

” To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. “~Buddha

11857432.png

Tom
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just wrote a post, then lost it. Then re wrote it and lost it again. Sorry. Just know I tried and am here.

Eating healthy is a good day to remember Tom.
    LaruieK congratulations on the run.
    Karen: Glad you are feeling better; Kah68 continue to get better.
    Holly: Continued thoughts and prayers for strength for you.
    Niki: Been there done that too many times with the grocery.
    Kai: YOU are such and inspiration! Keep up all the really good work; you will make it!
    Kaye: That is a lot of donuts! Sure would have enjoyed one.
    Lori: I hope things are going okay today for you.

AFM: Still here, still trying, still having good days, then bad days, start again. Weight pretty much the same...too bad it isn't goal weight.

I know I missed a lot of you, but if I go back and try to look again I will lose this too. My best to all of you.

Barb
  • Nikion901
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kah68 ...sorry I missed you when I posted. Glad to hear you are getting better, albeit slowly. I am really having a 'senior-moment' here ... all this time I've been thinking you are recovering from a shoulder surgery and now I realize you had something done on your leg! Call me 'upside-down' and 'dizzy'.
    Niki

@mountmary84 ...Barb, you slipped in while I wasn't watching! ... Don't you just hate it when you write, and write, and write, and then hit the wrong button! It really is a gas! Keep starting over ... after all, we start over each and every day when we first wake up.
    Niki
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My "Monday" check-in (11/2/2015)--2 days late (11/4/2015) since I was on vacation Thursday - Tuesday:

Weight today: 243.0
    Weight lost since previous weekly check-in (10/27/2015): 5.4 pounds (while on vacation too!).

I'm still trying to transition from 2 meals/day to 3 meals/day but only did that once during the last 7 days.

I exercised (45-60min walking) only twice during the last 7 days.

I did NOT keep my 1-hour post-meal blood sugars under "ideal" control (under 140 mg/dL) for the last 7 days due to being on vacation Thursday-to-Tuesday but did manage to keep ALL my 1-hour post-meal blood sugars < 180. That's probably the best I've done with my blood sugars while vacationing or traveling away from my home town for more than a day or two.

What I learned this week--it's very difficult to keep to my MFP target of 1500 calories/day while on vacation & eating at restaurants--it is SO EASY to eat 1500 calories with just a simple, basic breakfast & hard to believe how quickly things add up. Eating at some places, like Denny's, helps since their menus all have calories listed making it a bit easier (while there) to make better choices or substitutions (i.e. fruit cup substituted for the potatoes). I did manage to keep my daily calories under maintenance levels which kept me in a deficit during vacation but almost always had more than my target of 1500 calories/day. I was surprised at the weight I lost while on vacation but that's probably due to "recovering" from a recent weight gain when I was on antibiotics and seemed to be holding onto water.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Y'all have been doing so well. I've been more off the wagon than on for the last 2-3 months. It's always... "I'll begin again tomorrow"! UGH! I feel so yucky AND I've gained 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks since beginning my move. My low was 239. I had went up to 248.4, then 2 days ago I was 246.6 and then this morning I was 244.6. So I guess I'm losing what I had gained. Sucks having to re-lose them though.

I'm going after work and getting a last yucky dinner and getting some proteins, veggies and carbs after that. Then restarting yet again tomorrow. I'm going to get this weight off of me if it's the last thing I do. I HATE feeling like this. It's even caused my depressive-bipolar kick back in. I had it controlled pretty good with meds and being healthy. Sucks! I really hope I can get this under control. The last thing I want is to give up. I have NO plans of doing that. I'm still fighting.

Another problem I'm having is drinking water. I used to LOVE it. Would drink upwards of 120 oz a day. Now I'm lucky to get 32 in. I know all the tricks of getting it in. I just don't follow it. I don't know if it's a mental thing, but now, for the most part, the only way I'll drink it is if it's the Mandarin Orange Nestle PureLife water bottles. I've even bought orange mio thinking that would help, but nada! That's why I think it's a mental thing! lol

Anyways, that's my rant for the day. Have a great night y'all! Keep at it!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    It has been another busy week but more fun. I am in the process of making some changes in my life right now an deciding if I want go back to school for sign language interpreting. I am also considering changing school or jobs next school year. It is time I make a change in my life so now I just need to decide what I want to do.

Kelley, good luck with going back to work and I hope you get some relief for your leg.

Karen- I can understand your struggles with exercise and not feeling well. It is very hard to get back on track as you are recovering. I am thinking of flying in Friday for the Shamrock Shuffle. A long weekend even after a holiday will be nice. I am off the week before Easter.

I hope everyone has a great day and Happy Thursday.