November 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wow! Getting serious around here yesterday. Lots of good discussion and insight.

@7lenny7 - I know there are people that do that many HM every year, but I think they are not so concerned with improvement, just enjoy it and want to finish. Like @stoshew71 said, you won't be able to switch to training / improving or recovering. For me, I am planning to go from 3 HM up to 5 in 2016. No full in my sight as of yet.

11/1 - rest day / Halloween Hangover
    11/2 - 5.25 miles, 55° at 5:30 a.m. in Iowa! Nuts, but I love it!
    11/3 - 4 miles on indoor track followed by weights / abs. After running mostly outside for six months, you can run pretty fast on a flat, indoor surface.
    11/4 - 5.1 miles, again about 55° at 5:00 a.m. Getting spoiled by the weather!
    11/5 - woke up with some major heel pain...a touch of plantar fasciitis perhaps. Decided to take my rest day early and try again tomorrow.
    11/6 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights / abs. Heel feeling better, but not completely pain free.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 10 miles
    11/2 - rest day - sore shins
    11/3 - 5 miles
    11/4 - 5 miles
    11/5 - rest day cross country meet with Skip.
    11/6 - 7 miles

27 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

Skip PR'd :star: for her final meet of the season with a 22:06 that was with a fall. She fell coming up a big hill at like mile 2. I was there but missed it, I was moving around people to get better pictures and I thought how did she get behind all those girls LOL she passed them back and made up the time. She just missed out on qualifying for States, but was so happy with her time and season she didn't care. She couldn't go anyway because of the school trip the same weekend. Her Coach and I talked for a while, he wants to run with her all summer and work on some technical things he thinks are slowing her down a bit. He said she has a lot of talent and heart, but she needs more confidence in herself, that she's running at practice with the Senior Varsity boys and still doesn't understand how good she is. I had to laugh because at one point she passed me yesterday and she winked at me, I was like stop winking and run you nut.

I never checked the thread yesterday so I need to go back and read it. But @9voice9 I'm proud to be an enabler! :smiley:
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying running more now since my leg surgery in August; what a complete turnaround it is now. I just may pass my goal of 30 miles. Yay!! :smiley:

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kristinegift, @ddmom0811, @karllundy and @Stoshew71, thanks for the good advice. You're right of course, particularly for where my experience level is at. I guess I was still on that runner's high from last Saturday.

I'm one who would want to run each race for a PR (unless I'm with my daughter) or else I'd feel it wasn't worth it, and trying to do that monthly would probably backfire. To clarify, I only only considering a full in May, and perhaps a full in October, but even so, your points hold. On top of that, I'd have to miss out on too many soccer tournaments.

The full I'm considering is mid May and my plan is to hold a base of 30 mpw through the winter then start ramping up in February to a peak of 50 mpw three weeks prior to the race. With all that in mind, Here's my tentative race schedule for the first half of the year:

01/30/2016 - Securian HM - St. Paul, MN < - I may consider the 10K instead
    03/12/2016 - Get Lucky HM - St. Paul, MN < - To be run hard
    04/02/2016 - Ron Daws Memorial 15K - Hopkins, MN < - $15 race to use as a training run,
    05/14/2016 - Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon - Holdingford, MN
    07/04/2016 - Red Wing July 4th 10K - Red Wing, MN
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom, congrats to Skip!! That is fantastic that she's doing so well! I look forward to your reports next season.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Wow lots to catch up on.

@ddmom0811 I would love to run a 5K at Yankee Stadium, but Derek Jeter would need to run with me. :love:
    @aarar are you okay after your fall?
    @ohhim congrats on the the Ironman spot!
    @9voice9 I ran in Central Park once with Tom Selleck, I know you all are jealous...of course you younger folks are like Tom who? I used to work right off Central Park and I was eating lunch one day in the park and I saw him coming and he was running. I said to my friend I'm going to run with, and I did for about 50 yards in a pencil skirt and high heels LOL but how many people can say they ran in Central Park with Tom Selleck. I think the restraining order is no longer in effect.
    @karef I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard, those magpies are crazy. I've never seen such a thing. Maybe she needed to put an owl on her helmet, I hear they keep birds away.
    @lporter229 congrats on the BQ! I love your bucket list. My Mom lives in Tampa and we're in Alabama and this summer was the first time she saw my daughter or myself race. We did a 5K while she was here and both placed 1st in our age groups. My Mom said it was one of her proudest moments. Certainly no marathon, but having her there was so special. I was lifting for a while and I thought it affected my running too, slowed down my pace. I'm running a HM next weekend and after I'm done I want to get back to it and see how I do.
    @7lenny7 "stuck odometer" I'm making a list of terms you use that I plan to use in the future. Kody is beyond precious. Happy hunting, I'm freezer is starting to run low on deer sausage so I'll be waiting for some.
    @dawniemate welcome back how is the shoulder?
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited November 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom, congrats to Skip!! That is fantastic that she's doing so well! I look forward to your reports next season.

@7lenny7 thanks...get ready for track reports, she trying out for indoor track on the 16th. There's little doubt she'll make it for two reasons, one she's one of the only runners who will do an 800 LOL and two they want her ready for outdoor track in the Spring. Oh yeah and she's going to teach herself to do the triple jump for the Spring.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

The full I'm considering is mid May and my plan is to hold a base of 30 mpw through the winter then start ramping up in February to a peak of 50 mpw three weeks prior to the race.

This was always a question in my mind that I always had as far as training.
    Not critizing your plan, but actually more questioning mine. Something I always wondered since I start building up for my first marathon.

So the question I have, why wait to build up from 30-50 mpw 3 weeks prior to the full?

If it's the amount of time consumed during training and balancing it with other things in your life, then that is a completely different answer. By why don't you just build to 50 mpw as sooon as you can and hold it long as you can? That was the route I took.

I was trying to build to my maximum number of miles before August to prepare for my December marathon. That way, I can train for maximum number of mpw for a few months and at that point I can now focus on specific threshold workouts while maintaining the mileage. While building, I felt it was too much work to incorporate threshold and other specific workouts. The building up of mileage was in of itself a lot of work.

I am considering in my off season during the winter focus on less mpw but do more drills, plyometrics, strength training, maybe some interval training. But my question is, when do I pull the trigger and just focus on building back up the mileage again to prepare for my next marathon. I am just wondering if there is a point of diminished returns on the higher mileage.

• SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    1/11 - Planned rest after HM
    2/11 - Travel day
    3/11 - Overslept
    4/11 - 4.7 miles
    5/11 - Migraine, no running
    6/11 - 6.3 miles
    Total: 11 miles

Target 125 miles (yep I am still behind schedule!)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    11/1-Rest
    11/2-Strength Training
    11/3-5.0 miles
    11/4-3.2 miles+ strength training
    11/5-5.2 miles
    11/6-4.5 miles +yoga

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So the question I have, why wait to build up from 30-50 mpw 3 weeks prior to the full?

If it's the amount of time consumed during training and balancing it with other things in your life, then that is a completely different answer. By why don't you just build to 50 mpw as sooon as you can and hold it long as you can? That was the route I took.

...snip...

But my question is, when do I pull the trigger and just focus on building back up the mileage again to prepare for my next marathon. I am just wondering if there is a point of diminished returns on the higher mileage.

Great question and I wish I had the answer.

In building up for my HM I had 5 weeks before my taper where I was either up to 40 to 45 mpw, or out camping and hunting, which all took away from my time at home and even though she never said anything, I sensed a bit of resentment for that from my wife. Nothing major, mind you, but when my weekday runs happen after work, it takes away from home life.

The other factor is that November is crazy busy for me with more hunting, travel, and Thanksgiving. December will find me hunting some more and then there's Christmas. Now we're into January and in Minnesota that means sub-zero temps. If I can maintain even 30 mpw running 4 days/week through all that, I'll be happy. I think that's enough to keep my base. I plan on doing some body weight workouts to build up my core as well, figuring I can do that with minimal amount of time commitment.

That gives me three months to cut back, make life happy at home, and recharge the batteries. Starting Feb 1st, I then have 15 weeks to build up my mileage and incorporate some speedwork. I'm hoping that will be enough if I can maintain 30mpw through the winter. I'm not looking to BQ, just hit sub 4:00 for sure, maybe 3:45. If I was smart I'd wait until 2017 to run a marathon (when I'm 50 and in the next age group) but I'm compelled to do it next year.

I'm still fleshing out my training plan, incorporating things I've learned here and in training for my HM. I think I have my weekly mileage worked out and now am deciding how much speedwork I should do and when I should do it. One thing I learned during HM training is that I don't really follow a plan very well. I did quite a bit more than planned (my plan called for 380 miles in 18 weeks, I ran 512 and that includes two weeks cut short for injury and two weeks cut short for travel) and wouldn't be surprised if I did more this time as well.

I guess that's the long way of saying that my plan is dictated more by home life than by trying to optimize my training.

• DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1/11 6.45
    3/11 6.28
    6/11 3.45

total 16.18
    target 50 miles
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I guess that's the long way of saying that my plan is dictated more by home life than by trying to optimize my training.

Hey. I totally get that and respect that. Thanks for sharing.
    I feel pretty lucky that even though it can get very cold here in northern Alabama, it's not quite as bad as it is in the north. When it does get cold, it's usually a spell and eventually you can count on getting some relief. Plus we don't get badgered with ice and snorm storms. It's a rare treat that we get snow and according to my NJ standards, it's not really that bad if and when it does snow. However, my fellow Alabamanians will disagree. They close the entire area down on the rumor that it may snow tommorow for an inch. LOL I am used to, if it doesn't come down for at least 6-9 inches, did it really snow at all? Totally different down here. They don't even know what a salt truck is. LOL

One main reason I like to run in the morning cause it means I can get it done out of the way. However, it also means having to go to bed earlier or deal with the lack of sleep. I do have a tendancy of burning the candle at both ends too much. I need to learn to slow it down when life get's too hectic.

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    11/1 3.1 @ 11:15 outside in the neighborhood in the rain
    11/2 rest
    11/3 5.0 @ 10:59 on the treadmill (plus a 1 mile walk and strength training)
    11/4 8.2 @ really really slow (16:04) riking (run-hiking, steep, covered with inches of leaves and treacherous fun)
    11/5 4.0 @ 12:30 recovery run plus .5 walk on the park trail
    11/6 3.25 @ 10:53 on the treadmill (really 3.0 at 10:28, plus .25 at a walk) plus strength training.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Nov: 2.61 miles (walk)
    02-Nov: 4.47 miles; 1.00 miles (walk)
    03-Nov: 4.45 miles;
    04-Nov: <Life Day> but 4.47 miles (walk)
    05-Nov: 3.27 miles; 3.00 miles (walk)
    06-Nov: 3.56 miles; 1.75 miles (walk)
    07-Nov:
    08-Nov:
    09-Nov:
    10-Nov:
    11-Nov: <Life Day>
    12-Nov:
    13-Nov:
    14-Nov:
    15-Nov:
    16-Nov:
    17-Nov:
    18-Nov: <Life Day>
    19-Nov:
    20-Nov:
    21-Nov:
    22-Nov:
    23-Nov:
    24-Nov:
    25-Nov: <Life Day>
    26-Nov:
    27-Nov:
    28-Nov:
    29-Nov:
    30-Nov:

Upcoming Races:
    14-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    05-Dec: Reindeer Run 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Jan: Museum of Aviation 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 5K or 10K, Macon, GA

So far - I'm staying ahead of the pace to finish my 120-mile goal. But this weekend's gonna be a challenge to get the miles in - church bazaar early and until after lunchtime, football game mid-afternoon, prepping a "speech" for the commemoration of our organist's 50th Anniversary "on the bench." But we have only 1 service on Sunday, so that frees up some time there....

@Stoshew71, @7lenny7 - what is it, brothers, that makes us think that since we're doing a good job taking care of things in one area of our lives, that we've got the rest under control? :wink: I too need to remember that putting in the miles on 4 hours of sleep is a pretty crummy idea.

exercise.png
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

11/6

Today, I did Week 6 Day 2 of C25k

I had less than 2 hours of sleep, so it is remarkable that I stuck with the plan. I really thought there would be no way.
    While I couldn't sleep, about 3:00 a.m., I read one of those IG motivational quotes:

"Everyone must choose of two pains: The pain of discipline or the pain of regret"

Remembering that when I wanted to go back to bed at 6:45 gave me the strength to finish it.

I didn't do anything stellar: no sprints, no running overtime like I usually do...but at least I did something.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    but at least I did something.

Sometimes that's what makes the difference.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    11/1 - 2 miles
    11/2 - strength
    11/3 - 3 miles
    11/4 - strength
    11/6 - 3 miles

November: 8 of 45 miles completed

My back is somewhat bothering me so I've been kind of taking it easy. Hope to be back in full swing soon.

@skippygirlsmom love the story about Tom Selleck lol!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    @ skippysmom, I'm great thanks. ...Following everyone's progress. .you guys rock :)

I'm doing great thanks. .keep following everyone's

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Tom Selleck! That is such an awesome story!! :smiley: Great news f or Skip, even though she fell she did so well! We all hope to see her on the olympics one day :smile: