Was this an out of line question?

Options
RiseHigher
RiseHigher Posts: 64 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all, I'm staying with my Mom for the time being while I work on some certifications for my next job. She lives up north and I have Seasonal Affective Disorder somewhat badly here. That's where a person gets symptoms such as fatigue and depression without enough light. It's been diagnosed by a doctor and I have a special therapeutic light I have to sit by 2+ hours a day.

It also causes other symptoms including carb cravings and weight gain. I've gained 5-6 lbs this winter and am trying to avoid any more. She keeps (white flour) biscuits that she makes and 3-4 types of sugary jam on the counter and I find this is a trigger for me when I'm having cravings. The kitchen is in the middle of the house and so I have to walk by it to get anywhere, not to mention when I get food.

I asked her if we could just put the jam somewhere out of sight because if I eat off this is usually what it is. Seriously, if I don't see it, I won't eat it. I know that may not make sense to some but that's just how I am. When I live on my own I just don't bring off-type foods into my house.

She seemed greatly put off by this. Was I out of line in asking? If I can't manage the symptoms well enough I'm going to have to move sooner than later perhaps but I am just trying to get by for now until I can get my certifications completed for my next job.

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,274 Member
    Options
    Yes it was a bit out of line in my opinion. It is her home. Plus, you will deal with temptation day in and day out. Honestly, when you are staying in the home of another person, you don't ask that sort of thing and you just deal with it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I have to take your Mum's side on this one.
    You are a guest in her house. Yes she's your mum but geez.
    That being said, I'm not an expert in the carb cravings of your condition so I can't really judge.
    Try to exercise your willpower and just say no to them
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you approached it in my opinion.

If you were polite about and explained your issue I don't think you were out of line.
    If you were a big doo doo head about it then yeah you were out of line.

For what it's worth, food environment can be a big contributor to calorie intake and cravings so from a behavioral perspective you're not off base by wanting the biscuits and jam to not be sitting out in the open. I wouldn't want it arranged that way either.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd be on your mom's side. It's her house, she's allowed to put food wherever she likes.

It's not like she's leaving it out with a note saying "eat me", is it?
    YOU need to control what YOU eat. I understand cravings can be really strong, so I'm going to say, if you know the food is there and there's an open invitation to eat it (I'd hope there is), and you know you will eat it, then pre-log it and fit it into your day. Don't let cravings control you. You control the cravings.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There will always be temptations wherever you are. Will you tell co-workers that they can't have candy on their desks? Will you always get to decide where to go when your friends want to go out to dinner, because some places are too tempting for you? You have to learn to deal with the temptations and tell yourself no.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You are an adult and she is opening her home to you. She doesn't deserve to be hassled. I'm sorry you have SAD, and hope you have a new job soon and a new place of your own that you can organize to your liking..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It was a little out of line. You're a guest in her home, so it's not really a good idea to suggest she start changing things for you.

I get why you'd ask and if she's throwing a fit about it, something else is up. Kids tend to think everything is about them and naturally assume that parents exist to do things for the kid, like "This is a problem for me, so of course my mom should change everything around to make it easier for me!" without ever considering that they're making things harder for mom or that mom might like doing things her way. Your mom should know that because she's a mom! Years of practice!

Treat your mom as you'd treat anyone else who took you in and allowed you to live in their house for free. It will get easier!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't know. I'm a mother of an adult daughter, and if she asked something like this of me, I wouldn't think it was that big a deal. Sure, she may not live with me now, but she did for 18 years, so I'm not unaccustomed to arranging things for the mutual benefit of two people sharing a house.

So no, speaking as a mom, I don't see a whole lot of difference between jam sitting on the counter and jam sitting out of sight in a cabinet eight inches above the counter. My guess is that the issue is more one of her not really being all that thrilled with sharing her space again. I had to live with my mother for a while and I will tell you for a fact that she resented the hell out of my very existence in her space. I hope that's not the case with you, but it does sound like this is about more than just jam from her perspective.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am the Mother, of an adult daughter that lives in my home. If I am asked nicely and given an explanation, I comply with reasonable requests. Most parents want what is best for their children. Her intent might have been to give you easy access to something that brought you enjoyment. She may have felt unappreciated. I know sometimes my daughter misinterprets my actions, I am not trying to purposefully annoy her. It hurts my feelings, when I am accused of doing something unpleasant, when I think I am only trying to please her.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Let me guess: she doesn't think you should lose anymore weight?

But I don't think it's rude to request it politely of a parent you get along with, no.

The jam should probably be in the fridge anyway, unless it's those teeny, sealed servings, if it's going to be sitting out all day ;) I'd be super careful if you ever need to bring that up, though! People take offense easily during bacteria discussions, lol.
  • tahn1000
    tahn1000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i think it sort of depends on many things whether you were really out of line. if your mother is aware of your condition and knows it's medical then maybe she would be sympathetic to you needing her help to resist temptation. but really, being your mum, i honestly doubt it would occur to her that it is an issue.

i don't live with my mum, but i go visit every weekend and i've never asked her to list down what she's put in the meals even though she knows i'm calorie counting, both because it would feel too awkward to ask and because these are meals my mum is preparing for me - ordinary healthy meals, plus the deserts, biscuits etc - and she shouldn't have to consider stuff like that (it's not as if i have food allergies or anything like that).
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal of hiding food in the cupboard, out of site. I don't see why her
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'd be on your mom's side. It's her house, she's allowed to put food wherever she likes.

YOU need to control what YOU eat. I understand cravings can be really strong, so I'm going to say, if you know the food is there and there's an open invitation to eat it (I'd hope there is), and you know you will eat it, then pre-log it and fit it into your day. Don't let cravings control you. You control the cravings.

So if your child asked you to put a jar away , out her sight you'd tell her no it's my house? You wouldn't help her out and do that little simple favour for her knowing it's important to her?

I don't see the big deal at all.

And, isn't a parents house suppose to be like a second home, not for you to take over but people are acting like she's staying at a distant cousins house or something.

Unless you gave her attitude about it OP I don't see why she would be taken back.

There may be a reason why she doesn't want to move it to the cupboard. We only have what the OP stated to go by. Perhaps she leaves it there to come back to later in the day and if she puts it away she'll forget about it and it goes to waste.

I think there's more to this story, to be honest. I can understand asking favors and all that. But OP also needs to have some personal responsibility.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    As a mother of adult children, if my children were staying with me for a short time, I guess I wouldn't protest about putting a jar of jam in the cupboard if they asked me. It's not that big of a deal.
    We all talk about not having our temptations in our own house, and this is her mother we are talking about. I love my children and want to do what I can to help them. It's not a hassle to do that.
    She didn't ask her mom to rearrange furniture or anything.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    As a mother of adult children, if my children were staying with me for a short time, I guess I wouldn't protest about putting a jar of jam in the cupboard if they asked me. It's not that big of a deal.
    We all talk about not having our temptations in our own house, and this is her mother we are talking about. I love my children and want to do what I can to help them. It's not a hassle to do that.
    She didn't ask her mom to rearrange furniture or anything.

I agree that the request in itself is not that big of a deal. Perhaps the way the request was approached is at fault. Who knows.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Perfectly appropriate question, but ultimately, you are in charge of your self control.

Winter has just barely started...I think that you need to stop using this as an excuse ASAP.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was an unreasonable request at all. No big deal for your mum to put the food in the pantry. If my daughter asked me this, i wouldn't have a problem with it at all. My mum would do it for me to if I asked her.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    her
    Ninkyou wrote: »

So if your child asked you to put a jar away , out her sight you'd tell her no it's my house? You wouldn't help her out and do that little simple favour for her knowing it's important to her?

I don't see the big deal at all.

And, isn't a parents house suppose to be like a second home, not for you to take over but people are acting like she's staying at a distant cousins house or something.

Unless you gave her attitude about it OP I don't see why she would be taken back.

Yeah this is where I'm coming from to. My mom wouldn't have cared at all if I just explained what was going on and asked if I could move it. For someone to take offense to that from their child, I have to believe something else is going on. Doesn't have to be anything major, but just a different type of relationship than one I have with my mom... a more uncomfortable one. Just imo
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Not sure how your relationship is so its hard to say.

Can you afford to remove yourself from the situation and stay somewhere where there will be no triggers for you?
  • KourtneyChristine
    KourtneyChristine Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think if you asked her nicely and politely then I don't see the problem. I think you should try to control your cravings and temptations but I know if I asked my mom to put something away or asked if I could find a spot where I don't see it and tempt me then she would totally put it away or find a better spot. My mom on the other hand struggles with temptation like I do so she knows what it's like but it you explained it to your mom I think she would understand more.
    Also I don't think she should feel like a guest. Your parents home should feel like a second home to you. It's not like she's staying at an aunts or cousins house and has to walk on egg shells. She should express her concerns.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Whilst I understand the need to vent, it's your mum you should be asking this question. She's the only one who can answer with certainty and it can open up an opportunity to discuss what your reasons are and what hers are too. Hopefully, both of you will gain some understanding and the problem will be eased.