The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Must. Not. Eat. Until the am.

I do this. They way my diary is set up, I can NOT EAT ANYTHING until after midnight.

I just ate a half a can of soup and now I wish I sprung the extra money and got low sodium progresso. While I LOVE soup in the cooler weather, this is just WAY too salty for me and now I feel nauseous. :confounded:

Lol me too! I always count down until 12 am!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I work night shift as a corporal, I have been on this shift for over a year now and it's not by choice for me either, I do not have the seniority yet to move. :neutral:

You just need to embrace it instead of fight it. There are a lot of really good things about working night shift. Once you get used to it, having daytime off to do stuff is really nice. :smile:

Thank you, I have good stretches where I'm good with it. Then I seem to hit a wall and just need to catch up on sleep. Its weird, I'm at the wall part now. It will soon pass I keep telling myself, lol.

I think that's just one of the things about night shift. I do it too, then I'll rearrange whatever I have to that week to catch up on sleep.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    This is most DEFINITELY a get home, strip down, and crawl into bed as soon as I walk through the door kind of day.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    @lilaclovebird That's exactly what will happen tomorrow morning when I get home. Nothing like more work drama over the fridge to mess up good vibes.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yup. Sometimes I need a good 12+ hour sleep. When I've switched to night shift in the past, they are usually more frequent initially but the longer you stay on graveyard...the fewer you need...or at least for me.

I was talking to my mom the other day about shift work and tummy troubles. She has always worked weird shifts and recently was diagnosed with a paralyzed stomach. (the women on that side of the fam all have effed up tummeis) She told me her doc said that our (night shifters) stomachs never shut off like other people's because they are supposed to shut off in the night but we force them to work all night and even when we sleep...in the day...the stomach doesn't really rest. I found that interesting but what about natural night owls? If I had my druthers, I'd go to sleep as the sun rises and wake in the afternoon...I feel I'm a natural night owl...but I also have a jacked digestive system soooo...

On a related note...I've been having a lot of daymares lately. Today I dreamt that I was in our basement silently screaming for my fiance upstairs...I have been stressed lately...I hate bad dreams!
  • BodyByBex
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yup. Sometimes I need a good 12+ hour sleep. When I've switched to night shift in the past, they are usually more frequent initially but the longer you stay on graveyard...the fewer you need...or at least for me.

I was talking to my mom the other day about shift work and tummy troubles. She has always worked weird shifts and recently was diagnosed with a paralyzed stomach. (the women on that side of the fam all have effed up tummeis) She told me her doc said that our (night shifters) stomachs never shut off like other people's because they are supposed to shut off in the night but we force them to work all night and even when we sleep...in the day...the stomach doesn't really rest. I found that interesting but what about natural night owls? If I had my druthers, I'd go to sleep as the sun rises and wake in the afternoon...I feel I'm a natural night owl...but I also have a jacked digestive system soooo...

On a related note...I've been having a lot of daymares lately. Today I dreamt that I was in our basement silently screaming for my fiance upstairs...I have been stressed lately...I hate bad dreams!

You are not alone there. I had one before I woke up tonight. I was dying and looking back on my life and it was like I never really lived or did anything for myself. I was miserable and crying because I only did the same old boring things and never traveled or really got outside my comfort zone.

I've since printed out my passport application. I'm getting the photo done on Wednesday. I've also started working on getting stuff done to bring up my work evaluations for next year and I'm going to borrow DJ's IAHSS certification book so I can go ahead and get that test done and get a raise. Life isn't going to wait for me. I plan to go to Venice within two years.

ETA: words are hard sometimes... :expressionless:
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I could go for like a 6 hour sleep... that would be a record for me.

Interesting. I always knew the body worked differently, but I too have noticed a big difference in how my stomach acted being on the night tour. Thanks for the info, something for me to inquire about.
    You are not alone there. I had one before I woke up tonight. I was dying and looking back on my life and it was like I never really lived or did anything for myself. I was miserable and crying because I only did the same old boring things and never traveled or really got outside my comfort zone.

I'm going to say I have this problem too. You're young, you can fix that so do it!

I'm 36, and I realize it and say 'it's too late, why bother now?' I know some will say it's not too late, but I feel it is, so that's what it is.

Fix it now, get out there, stop procrastinating. Get outside of that comfort zone before it's way too late. You will regret it.

While I say it seems too late, once in a while I get a bug up my @$$ to fix it, which I usually end up abandoning. However one thing I have read lately is that depressed men (and likely women) do have more than their fair share of nightmares or in our cases, "daymares". Just saying.
    ETA: words are hard sometimes... :expressionless:

Which is why although I have participated in other threads, pretty much this is the only one I really post in. Words for me are hard if it's not bitching about something (again, a link to the 'D' word from pieces I've read).

Hard to believe I used to write.

If you think words are hard... actions...
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I've been on the five hour kick again unfortunately. I wake up after five hours and I am AWAKE awake. On the days I get closer to seven, I'm groggy upon waking...
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So over this weekend shift. One day off before having training all day Tuesday. I hope I don't catch on fire bc supposedly the sun is gonna be out.

Adulting is hard too :(

**My sleep is all jacked up too. I'm gonna crash when I get home but can't sleep all day bc of class Tuesday morning.
  • BodyByBex
    edited November 2015
    Options
    We have less trees now, I get it. I hate explaining to the stupid officer that works nights that, naturally, I have NOT seen the campus during daylight because, just like him, I WORK NIGHTSHIFT! :astonished:

The idiocy of some people ceases to be amusing at certain points in life.

@Frankie_Felinius I know how you feel about those 5 hour kicks. I am dying. It is generally better if I get closer to 7 hours of sleep for me because I can shake off the grogginess. The super tired I feel right about this time after only getting 5 hours of sleep is much more difficult to negate.

@bethanie0825 Adulting is WAY too hard. We need a blanket/pillow fort and some crayons. Bonus: Blanket forts keep light out so we can get some serious sleepy time in! :mrgreen:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IN for blanket forts and sleepy time. It's kinda funny, I was looking forward to Thanksgiving break so I could catch up on my sleep, but I was sick and didn't get out of bed for 2 1/2 days last week, so now I feel a bit well-rested and I'm not sure what I'm going to do over the break.
    I should still probably try to rest..
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Oh, i forgot this thread existed.... Hour 10 of 11 hours in hell now and time is going backwards.... Need another coffee but then i'll never fall asleep when i get home. I also get harrassed by cops when i go outside for a cooldown walk, b/c who else in their right mind would be walking at 3am????
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    It must be the light changes. My sleep is all jacked up as well. I go home and sleep for three hours and then I'm awake. So I get up and do stuff but then about 4 PM when I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, I'm dying. In the last week I've plowed through 24 monsters. I think three a day is pretty messed up.

@ljonesy311 - I'm lucky to live in a small town. All the cops know me when I'm wandering around at 3 AM. They will stop in from time to time to use the bathroom or grab a monster. They are really great guys and take the time to know the people on their patrol. I've called dispatch a couple times and asked if we could get an officer to just park in the parking lot since we had a belligerent client. They always oblige us and just having them in the parking lot, most people will settle down.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    It must be the light changes. My sleep is all jacked up as well. I go home and sleep for three hours and then I'm awake. So I get up and do stuff but then about 4 PM when I'm supposed to be getting ready for work, I'm dying. In the last week I've plowed through 24 monsters. I think three a day is pretty messed up.

@ljonesy311 - I'm lucky to live in a small town. All the cops know me when I'm wandering around at 3 AM. They will stop in from time to time to use the bathroom or grab a monster. They are really great guys and take the time to know the people on their patrol. I've called dispatch a couple times and asked if we could get an officer to just park in the parking lot since we had a belligerent client. They always oblige us and just having them in the parking lot, most people will settle down.

Lol, we have a police station in our parking ot, we share one the parking lot entrance with the police substation. The regular cops who are based out of there know me but it is always the ones who just stop by there who question me. I am used to it now. I used o get pissed, but now i just laugh and just continue on with my walk. I get why they give me grief though, in between many bars, many apartment building and a major college campus. So their just doing their jobs, but it becomes annoying at times.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    ljonesy311 wrote: »
    I also get harrassed by cops when i go outside for a cooldown walk, b/c who else in their right mind would be walking at 3am????

I get cops checking me out when I'm walking, but none have ever bothered me.

When I'm running they really check me out. However I usually wear bright clothes when doing so, as I have been nearly hit by drivers making left turns (for some reason this doesn't happen when walking), or when running a red light. If I get stopped, I hope I restrain myself before saying something stupid like "what could I be up to wearing a neon yellow shirt?"
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    belimawr wrote: »
    ljonesy311 wrote: »
    I also get harrassed by cops when i go outside for a cooldown walk, b/c who else in their right mind would be walking at 3am????

I get cops checking me out when I'm walking, but none have ever bothered me.

When I'm running they really check me out. However I usually wear bright clothes when doing so, as I have been nearly hit by drivers making left turns (for some reason this doesn't happen when walking), or when running a red light. If I get stopped, I hope I restrain myself before saying something stupid like "what could I be up to wearing a neon yellow shirt?"

Add reflective tape!

I work with police officers day in and day out. From our department and different departments. They all get to know everyone and generally, from my experience, they already know who their 'problem children' are and they aren't looking to gain new ones. :grin:
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I've got so much caffeine in my system my hands are shaking and I'm still struggling to stay awake. I'm going to have to walk my daughter to school today. I probably shouldn't drive more than just go make it home. Glad the school is only a block if we take the shortcut. :smile:
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've been on the five hour kick again unfortunately. I wake up after five hours and I am AWAKE awake. On the days I get closer to seven, I'm groggy upon waking...

I have to pick my kid up at school in the afternoon so the most I can get is 6 hours if I go to bed AS SOON as I walk through the door. That never happens, I've been averaging 5/5.5

• sufferlandrian
    Options
    Another night. At least this one is shaping up to have some cool stuff.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Another night, another dollar!
    Here I am feeling hungry and a bit more 'up' than before. I'm totally stealing some of the undergrad coffee tonight to make sure I stay awake. I just filled up the car and now I need a tire rotation and the pressure indicator light is on. Do all of that and then go home, walk the dog, and pass out. Managed 6 hours straight before waking up and then forced myself to sleep another hour and a half or so before finally waking up. I tend to eat more the longer I stay awake in the mornings when I get home.
    Also, I feel like I've been stuck at some variation of 173 pounds for forever, even though it's only been a week. Maybe two.
    I'm reintroducing strength training and I've realized HOLY CRAP I'M WEAK RIGHT NOW! A testament to how important it is to do some form of resistance training at all times for the duration of your weight loss journey.
    Naturally, because I've reintroduced the strength training, I will likely gain weight and stay there for the next 3-4 weeks or so and then, hopefully, have a WHOOSH!
    That's the plan anyway...