Why request friends if you're not going to interact?

Options

Replies

• miaelissa
    miaelissa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I want some friends of people looking to lose 100-120 pounds. Please and thank you!
  • jkquinn13
    jkquinn13 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I interact with all my friends...I have seven or so who are an amazing inspiration to me daily. I hope I provide them the same! Room for more.
    Im trying to lose 50 by my 50th....doing good so far!
  • pashen1
    pashen1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some people are just inspirational in themselves and others want to have their daily activity and accomplishments appear in their feed to draw motivation from. Maybe you should feel flatter they are inspired by just your daily logging, or let them know before you accept the FR that you expect interaction to stay on your FL.

Agreed
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I agree. And additionally, I wonder why someone with 174 friends on MFP is still adding more. :o
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I agree. And additionally, I wonder why someone with 174 friends on MFP is still adding more. :o

Well I'm still under 174 so I'm sending you a friend request ASAP :tongue:
  • Jerzaka
    Jerzaka Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Personally, in the beginning, I request friends, if I want to learn from THAT person. I rarely reply to status updates. Instead, I want to want gage their daily calorie count against mine (if our goals are the same) against something I may be doing wrong. I just want to see how they did it. If I find something they've said that rings true with me... About how much weight they've lost. Maintained weight, exercised, etc . I'm looking for guidance in that person's diary. Plain and simple. Is that wrong?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Jerzaka wrote: »
    Personally, in the beginning, I request friends, if I want to learn from THAT person. I rarely reply to status updates. Instead, I want to want gage their daily calorie count against mine (if our goals are the same) against something I may be doing wrong. I just want to see how they did it. If I find something they've said that rings true with me... About how much weight they've lost. Maintained weight, exercised, etc . I'm looking for guidance in that person's diary. Plain and simple. Is that wrong?

Nope not wrong. There are plenty of people on MFP that are ok with that. There are also a lot that aren't. I still think being clear about your expectations would save some people getting deleted.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have over 100 friends and I try to interact with most of them. I cherry pick the friend requests I get, finding the people who I enjoy reading their posts, food journals, or very active. Over the year I have been on MFP I accumulated quality friends, it didn't all happen at once. Proud to say that almost 40 of my friends are people I started with when I signed up for the site and they are still active!
  • darkcrow13
    darkcrow13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! I love motivational support and I like to give the same!! I totally get what ur saying. If u want add me id love to go through our journey together!!
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I'm a lurker. I accept all friend requests and I do have a quick scan through the news feed but never comment on things. I'm not being rude, I just genuinely don't have anything to say to statuses like 'Caved and had some chicken wings today' or 'Smashing it in the gym!'. I also find it pointless commenting on a post to say well done when there's already 20 'well dones' from other posters.

I always appreciate it if people post words of support or encouragement, but they make no difference to my success or motivation.

However I still accept all friend requests because why not? I don't have any personal info except my weight so makes no difference to me. I also never respond to PM's either unless I am specifically asked a question.
  • NurseCrystalB
    NurseCrystalB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm totally doing this alone and I don't have 1 friend to interact with on here....my only contact is my MIL & her account is inactive until the new year. I log in daily and I will totally support and encouragement you if you'd like to connect. I think a "get healthy" buddy would be beneficial. Hope you have a great day!!
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I get a fair amount of requests and accept them all. The only people I delete are beach body spammers.

I don't expect anything from my MFP friends. If 1000 more people request, I will say yes to them too.

There is also a time zone issue - when I am up and about, many people are asleep so when I look at my feed, it is a very small window on the lives of the people I am connected to.

I like and comment on a handful of things a day. That is all I have the bandwidth for and I assume others are in the same boat and am fine with one of my posts getting less than five comments or likes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I usually only reply or like stuff that's on the first page. I don't usually click the "see more" option.

I don't really send out friend requests anymore
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Two questions ...

If you decline someone, do they get a message saying, "You have been declined!" ... or just nothing?

Same with deleting people. Do they get a message, "So-and-so has deleted you!" ... or nothing?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just in a mood tonight, but I think some people just like to collect friends, and it doesn't matter who they are. My thought is that people get themselves pumped up over getting a lot of comments or likes, so the more people the better. Reminds me of Facebook and just "friending" anyone and everyone so you can say how many you've accumulated....

I accept all requests, and I "like" or comment on every one. If some time goes by and I get no interaction back....buh-bye. Deleted. Lurking is perfectly fine. Not commenting is fine. But simply leaving a "like" to let someone know you acknowledge their posts/accomplishments takes one second.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm a lurker. I accept all friend requests and I do have a quick scan through the news feed but never comment on things. I'm not being rude, I just genuinely don't have anything to say to statuses like 'Caved and had some chicken wings today' or 'Smashing it in the gym!'. I also find it pointless commenting on a post to say well done when there's already 20 'well dones' from other posters.

I always appreciate it if people post words of support or encouragement, but they make no difference to my success or motivation.

However I still accept all friend requests because why not? I don't have any personal info except my weight so makes no difference to me. I also never respond to PM's either unless I am specifically asked a question.

This as well as another post I agreed with. Some people make this a way bigger deal than it needs to be. I do nuke people who end up being MLM shills, though.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Two questions ...

If you decline someone, do they get a message saying, "You have been declined!" ... or just nothing?

Same with deleting people. Do they get a message, "So-and-so has deleted you!" ... or nothing?

No msg for either

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Two questions ...

No msg for either

Oh good ... I might go in and decline a bunch then. :)

I prefer that people send some sort of message if they are going to request my friendship, or at the very least that their profile gives me some indication that they might be a "match" ... as in, having similar goals and interests or something.

I also have about half a dozen friends who are nearing the 6-month with no log-in point ... and I think I'll delete them when they reach that point. If they haven't logged in within 6 months, they're probably done and gone.

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How do you keep track who comments on which statuses? Do you keep a spreadsheet?
    Does clicking *like* count?

Catching up to find out!