Could you spend a day without any sugar?

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    Cheese. 4 ozs = 100 % RDA of Calcium.

Not on a zero carb diet.

I thought the question was about keto, we're splitting hairs over 0.4 grams of carbohydrate.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Not really. 1 oz of cheddar provides 202 mg. of calcium so 4 oz is 808 mg which is only 80% of the general RDA. Adult women have an RDA of 1300 mg so 4 oz of cheese is 62% of the gender/age specific RDA.

Looking at the wrong cheese. :wink:
    American cheese has more. 296 mg/oz. for 1 g of carbs.

However, you couldn't get me to eat 4 oz of that a day.

Still, that is 1 gram of carbs... not the zero grams of carbs that was being discussed as not providing any calcium.
  • yarwell
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fish is another keto-appropriate calcium source, 'cos of the small bones.

there's some in beef too - http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3689/2 - it all adds up.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Not really. 1 oz of cheddar provides 202 mg. of calcium so 4 oz is 808 mg which is only 80% of the general RDA. Adult women have an RDA of 1300 mg so 4 oz of cheese is 62% of the gender/age specific RDA.

American cheese has more. 296 mg/oz.

Swiss has 221 and mozzarella has 205. Brie has only 50 and Monterrey Jack has 196.

Besides, who eats American when you can have a better tasting cheese like cheddar?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Besides, who eats American when you can have a better tasting cheese like cheddar?

haha, cosign.
  • yarwell
    Options

Swiss has 221 and mozzarella has 205. Brie has only 50 and Monterrey Jack has 196.

my number was for cheddar.
  • lauris1
    lauris1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be done but sugar is not just about not eating sweets or chocolate, sugar is hidden in many other products like when you buy bread and ketchup, etc. But at least sugar is not as bad as high corn fruit syrup :#
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who strive for zero carbs, but they don't post on the main forums or aren't on MFP at all. The overwhelming majority of keto people I know have a max carb number, like a max calorie number, but don't strive for zero. That majority eats dairy, we simply moderate it based on our macros. We don't all make our carb macro with exactly the same carbs.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Ketogenic diets are quite extreme in macro and content when designed for drug resistant epileptics who may have multiple severe health issues and pharmaceutical interventions. I gave up reading the studies on epileptic ketogenic diets because it is a different animal than a diet filled with relatively normal proteins and fats and eaten by folks without multiple significant health issues.

Where do you get your calcium?

Cream, cheese, sour cream, nuts, veggies, eggs, seafood and hotdogs primarily.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I understand, and nutrition studies are problematic - pretty much all of them. I also don't think it is a coincidence that those eating fruits and vegetables have lower cancer rates, but confounders are truly almost impossible to completely draw out and it still may not be by direct cause/effect.

Indeed, I am particularly wary of "fruit and vegetables" as a single entity which often conceals two radically different associations - increased vegetable intake is associated with reduced ovarian cancer, but increased fruit intake is associated with increased ovarian cancer incidence (EPIC-Oxford). Combine the two and the abstract says that increased intake of "fruit and vegetables" is associated with reduced ovarian cancer.

Another funny was how low fruit intake was associated with increased respiratory tract cancers, because smokers ate less fruit.

It always pays to look at the raw data if you can, not the marketing messages of PR or abstracts.

Agreed. It's highly likely that someone with a high fruit/vegetable diet will be consuming less food with know issues such as charred meats, nitrites, transfats and likelier to have lifestyle behaviours in line with "taking care of their health".
    Those cofounders are there.

But with the issues in micronutrients in dieting in general and the way people often fail to pay attention to learning about the details of nutritional needs I've always felt that diets that have restrictions on food types (be they vegetarian, keto or no xxxx) have a higher likelihood of deficiencies. I've seen lots of threads on the web about hair loss, amenorrhea, etc... on low cals, keto, etc...

So while it is possible to eat well on restrictive diets, by their nature, it requires some attention and, often enough, people fail on these.
    The most interesting anecdote I've seen is what happened to the guy who came up with Soylent. While he was living as his own experimental subject for making it, he started having heart problems (palpitations I believe) from an iron deficiency. This was a guy intentionally researching how much to supplement and live off of supplements with the hopes of formulated a universal food for people - and he screwed up his iron of all things, not exactly one of the more esoteric nutrients to forget about.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is easy but no way am I giving up my apples and banannas nor do I see the need to.
  • cllb13
    cllb13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried this and got massive headaches it was a nightmare lol
  • senecarr
    Options
    I also feel this guy's site is probably worth dropping in this thread for a laugh:
    http://rogermwilcox.com/vegetable/
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    No. Just...no
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I understand, and nutrition studies are problematic - pretty much all of them. I also don't think it is a coincidence that those eating fruits and vegetables have lower cancer rates, but confounders are truly almost impossible to completely draw out and it still may not be by direct cause/effect.

Indeed, I am particularly wary of "fruit and vegetables" as a single entity which often conceals two radically different associations - increased vegetable intake is associated with reduced ovarian cancer, but increased fruit intake is associated with increased ovarian cancer incidence (EPIC-Oxford). Combine the two and the abstract says that increased intake of "fruit and vegetables" is associated with reduced ovarian cancer.

Another funny was how low fruit intake was associated with increased respiratory tract cancers, because smokers ate less fruit.

It always pays to look at the raw data if you can, not the marketing messages of PR or abstracts.

Agreed. It's highly likely that someone with a high fruit/vegetable diet will be consuming less food with know issues such as charred meats, nitrites, transfats and likelier to have lifestyle behaviours in line with "taking care of their health".

But with the issues in micronutrients in dieting in general and the way people often fail to pay attention to learning about the details of nutritional needs I've always felt that diets that have restrictions on food types (be they vegetarian, keto or no xxxx) have a higher likelihood of deficiencies. I've seen lots of threads on the web about hair loss, amenorrhea, etc... on low cals, keto, etc...

So while it is possible to eat well on restrictive diets, by their nature, it requires some attention and, often enough, people fail on these.
    The most interesting anecdote I've seen is what happened to the guy who came up with Soylent. While he was living as his own experimental subject for making it, he started having heart problems (palpitations I believe) from an iron deficiency. This was a guy intentionally researching how much to supplement and live off of supplements with the hopes of formulated a universal food for people - and he screwed up his iron of all things, not exactly one of the more esoteric nutrients to forget about.

I knew he had issues, but not the details. So many potential risks in a monolithic diet like that (there is a thread, if people want to discuss it) that I personally would not risk it.
  • senecarr
    Options

I knew he had issues, but not the details. So many potential risks in a monolithic diet like that (there is a thread, if people want to discuss it) that I personally would not risk it.

That seems like the most prudent issues of trying to get nutrients from supplements and not any from fruits or vegetables - seems just too much room for error and failed oversight. Once the signs creep in, it is probably a rather serious issue.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

That seems like the most prudent issues of trying to get nutrients from supplements and not any from fruits or vegetables - seems just too much room for error and failed oversight. Once the signs creep in, it is probably a rather serious issue.

Or getting too much of something because you over measured .... 50 micrograms of chromium vs ... whoops, I put in a dash too much.
  • senecarr
    Options

Or getting too much of something because you over measured .... 50 micrograms of chromium vs ... whoops, I put in a dash too much.

No such thing as excess chrome - 50 micrograms sounds like a lovely day, such a lovely day!
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

One thing I don't think is researched enough is now micronutrients interact, especially the trace ones. We know some of the big ones (like calcium slows down or can even prevent absorption of iron) but does having your Vitamin C with 0.1mg of copper and some fiber (like you get in an orange) work better than taking them individually as supplements?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Witness!