10 day green smoothie cleanse

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    It's nice to know that even if I take a break from the forums, I can come back and immediately be greeted by an OP looking for support on a cleanse. Never change, MFP :)

OP, if you're looking for a place where you won't find objections to cleanses or objections to any other fad diet you're looking for, check out groups... They're a bit less divisive in nature. However, I feel like I should add that, for the most part, individuals on forums responding to posts (whether it's your post or someone else's) do so to offer help. There are a TON of users here who have either been where you have been and have learned from trial and error, users who have a medical background, or users who have done their research.

MFP users are kinda like those friends who tell you when you look hideous in an outfit - might not be exactly what you WANT to hear, but it's much needed.

And if you don't want to hear it, there might be other members who come to the forums and are at risk of picking up on horrible advise (i.e. cleanses and detoxes).

A cleanse isn't necessary and there is no "quick fix". OP, you say you need to lose 60 pounds. Keep in mind that you didn't gain the 60 pounds overnight. You're not going to lose it all overnight, either.

It's just like tuning in to General Hospital after a 2 year hiatus. The actors may be slightly different but the story lines are all the same...lol
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »
    Even though it seems like all the sensible people are just talking among themselves and being ignored by the 'pro-boring-smoothie-detox' people, I'm going to throw in my 2 cents.

OP- I can give you a way to SAVE money and LOSE WEIGHT! HOW you ask? Well, the answers simple...

I lost 46lbs by eating exactly what I wanted. I didn't blend anything down, I didn't have to live off of fruits and veggies (although I eat them when I want to). I can eat biscuits, crisps, soup, pizza, risotto. Literally anything I want (although from a health angle I do try and get a good amount of fruit and veg in too obviously).

I saved money because I didn't have to fork out for expensive diet plans, smoothies, OR a ton of fresh veggies to blend down. Because I was eating less than before, I was buying less food (= spending less money).

It's literally that easy. Why on earth would you put yourself through an almost exclusively liquid diet when you can eat real food? and by eating 'actual' food, you'll be losing fat, not just water weight that you'll gain back after the 'cleanse'.

because weight loss is hard and should be the equivalent to the experience of being tortured during the inquisition ….

I feel it's quite appropriate that while reading your reply I was eating a fried egg and ham sandwich (which still fits into my 3 meals a day + snack & I've got half my cals left for dinner btw OP)... THE ULTIMATE DIETING SIN! Fried things! shock horror!

Seriously though, anyone who does cleanses much just have a victim complex or something...
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »
    I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    6. Original poster is never heard from again and doesn't lose any weight.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.

Re the bold part: the shakes have no magic, you simply eliminated foods that bothered your tummy. The fact that certain foods bother your tummy points directly to a medical issue, which your doctor needs to be aware of. The only things those shakes cleanse is one's pocketbook because your body cleanses just fine all by itself.

These shakes didnt cost me anything that i wouldnt normally buy at the grocery store. Spinach, kale, and any fruit that i wanted to put in them. Really no different than something you would get at a smoothie place or local gym. I used PB or protein powder a well. No medical condition that i need to see a Dr about.....processed foods are poison to your system. I just eliminated them....my body feels better without the extra chemicals, ingredients etc. Its not a fad diet thing.....But, i understand that people can only percieve things that they have had experience with and are not open to any other option that could do the body good. Its just all natural food in a cup....
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Here's some great recipes for smoothies!!

Will It Smoothie?

Rhett and Link for the win!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I have been a member of MFP for around 4 years. I cant tell you how many, many times I have seen some sort of version on these boards about how someone wanted to do a detox/cleanse. Here is how it plays out almost every single time.
    1. Person posts they are looking for buddies to do the ### cleanse. They need to get rid of the junk in their bodies and want to kickstart their diet.
    2. Someone responds by asking what it is they want to cleanse out. Someone (wisely) attaches a link to a previous thread," looking for a detox."
    3. Original person posting gets defensive and tells everyone to get off their post, they didnt ask for advice.
    4. One or two people jump in, saying they will join up and that everyone else are a bunch of meanies.
    5. Original person ignores all that people who are just being honest and have been successful at weight loss and just might know what they are talking about.
    I post this, not to sound mean to the OP on this, it's just that I wish, just once this would play out differently, with you actually listening to people, who are only trying to help. Cleanses and detoxes are completely unnecessary for weight loss.

I tried this after a weekend binge that just left me feeling awful. I needed a way to get myself off the junk. I loved it and by the third day i didnt crave sweets any more or any processed foods whatsoever. I lost 8 lbs in the process. Now i still do a smoothie for lunch every day . I lost the bloat, gas, headaches, body aches and my energy went thru the roof once i was off all processed foods. When i did have some processed junk...the stomach ache was not worth it. As for the people that say dont do it, its not a good idea for weight loss.....I DIDNT do mine for weight loss at all...im ok where im at with weight. I did it to get the processed foods that were making me feel like crap out of my system. that is the only reason i did it and it was well worth it to me. I have never felt better.

Re the bold part: the shakes have no magic, you simply eliminated foods that bothered your tummy. The fact that certain foods bother your tummy points directly to a medical issue, which your doctor needs to be aware of. The only things those shakes cleanse is one's pocketbook because your body cleanses just fine all by itself.

These shakes didnt cost me anything that i wouldnt normally buy at the grocery store. Spinach, kale, and any fruit that i wanted to put in them. Really no different than something you would get at a smoothie place or local gym. I used PB or protein powder a well. No medical condition that i need to see a Dr about.....processed foods are poison to your system. I just eliminated them....my body feels better without the extra chemicals, ingredients etc. Its not a fad diet thing.....But, i understand that people can only percieve things that they have had experience with and are not open to any other option that could do the body good. Its just all natural food in a cup....

States processed foods are poison to your system.
    Uses protein powder in smoothies.

Never change MFP, never, ever change...
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yep...they are poison to MY system...you eat whatever you want. I prefer not to have things that i cant even pronounce the ingredients. That is me......what works for me....and my protein powder is plant based and as natural as possable. I dont have to count calories to worry about all the macros when i eat healthy and i know im doing my body good. If you have nothing nice to say you might could try and say nothing at all. Or is that too hard for you?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Yep...they are poison to MY system...you eat whatever you want. I prefer not to have things that i cant even pronounce the ingredients. That is me......what works for me....and my protein powder is plant based and as natural as possable. I dont have to count calories to worry about all the macros when i eat healthy and i know im doing my body good. If you have nothing nice to say you might could try and say nothing at all. Or is that too hard for you?

But you said:
    .processed foods are poison to your system.

Not "processed foods are poison to MY system" (meaning yours).

I just thought it was ironic since protein powder is one of the most processed foods you can ingest, plant based or not, it is heavily processed.

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

How do processed foods poison your system? What about the processing process (um ... that's redundant) changes a food into something that is bad?

Actually, why don't we start with your definition of processed food. There are so many out there, so let's pick one. What, precisely, do you mean by processed foods? Once we have that established, we can make sure we aren't debating different topics.

As far as smoothies, I enjoy a good fruit and kale smoothie from time to time. (But I can't do it too often - it's far to easy for me to go overboard on calories because I'm drinking them.) I would never think that it cleanses or promotes weight loss. It's fine to drink a smoothie as part of your daily intake, it's not so good to suggest that having it as the majority of your intake is going to produce any special effects that proper nutrition at a calorie deficit won't provide anyway.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015

How about phenylalanine, palmitoleic acid, methionene, phylloquine, ethyl butanoate, 3-methylbut-1-yl-ethanoate and ethene gas? Sounds pretty bad, eh? OMG, teh toxinzzz!!!1!!1!!

Those are all naturally occurring ingredients in a banana.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    @ndj1979 I'd forgotten what you looked like without bars! <3

Better screenshot it as it's only a matter of time.

:wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

oh ye of little faith ....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

sorry, but correcting pseudoscience, is not being mean ...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited November 2015

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-011416084470.jpg

I eat one every day!! Not dead yet. ;)

ETA: I can't pronounced most of these deadly toxins!!! LOL, ;)
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

I know The Guardian isn't a medical site but there's lots of good truth in here (that'll probably be ignored by the cleanse/detox crowd). A few choice quotes:

"If toxins did build up in a way your body couldn’t excrete, he says, you’d likely be dead or in need of serious medical intervention. “The healthy body has kidneys, a liver, skin, even lungs that are detoxifying as we speak,” he says. “There is no known way – certainly not through detox treatments – to make something that works perfectly well in a healthy body work better.”

"In 2009, a network of scientists assembled by the UK charity Sense about Science contacted the manufacturers of 15 products sold in pharmacies and supermarkets that claimed to detoxify. The products ranged from dietary supplements to smoothies and shampoos. When the scientists asked for evidence behind the claims, not one of the manufacturers could define what they meant by detoxification, let alone name the toxins."

"But before you dust off that juicer or take the first tentative steps towards a colonic irrigation clinic, there’s something you should know: detoxing – the idea that you can flush your system of impurities and leave your organs squeaky clean and raring to go – is a scam. It’s a pseudo-medical concept designed to sell you things."

Besides, Drs. Oz, Hyman and Lustig promote detoxes. That should be enough to make any reasonable person ignore it. Now add this JJ Smith lady to the list of snake oil sellers.

AMEN and AMEN!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    How to jump start weight loss:
    Eat less than you burn. Any food, just as long as you eat less than you burn. CICO. Just ask anyone here who has lost substantial amounts of weight.
    Rinse and repeat.
    =weight loss without money loss without deprivation, stress and hangriness. Don't make weightless complicated. It really is as simple as CICO. If the act of weight loss really was a difficult as all those over-complicated ridiculous rules out there (eg, don't eat after a certain time, don't eat certain foods), then no one would be successful.

Personally, I've lost 77lbs just fro eating the same foods I always have, just in smaller quantities, and by being more active.

Why do some think juice detoxes work? They're not eating any solid foods, eat very low calorie and get the runs. There's nothing special about that. Please do read the advice here....it's NOT BS or mean...it is the truth. Stick to something that you're able to do for the rest of your life- it leads to success.

If you need to detox, then your liver is not doing its job. Go to a hospital NOW.

Stopping someone from doing something unnecessarily ridiculous is NOT mean...
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-011416084470.jpg

I eat one every day!! Not dead yet. ;)

ETA: I can't pronounced most of these deadly toxins!!! LOL, ;)

I love this!

I would love for someone to come up with a solid definition of 'processed foods' when asked. Or a list of the toxins they want to 'cleanse' from their body, just once in one of these threads. I don't think i have ever seen a cleanse thread where this question has been asked and OP ACTUALLY gives us a definition or list.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Two for one thread: detoxes AND poisonous processed foods!!
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    This is my favorite thread.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

oh ye of little faith ....

Your rate of recidivism HAS been rather astonishing, though. ;)
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Every detox post ends in a similar fashion.
    People who try to help, now, please make me understand how all that links and information works out for the posters?
    Even if OPs simply ignore it, like others, who eat whatever they want, citing that they watch their CICO, maintain a deficit, maintained their 'ideal BMI range weight', for 'x' number of years, enjoying variety of foods, no restriction on food groups.

and the funny thing is that we like to reach our goal the way we want but do not like a few terminologies even if when they are not being advertised as healthy at all. Who is getting benefitted from such posts and is it a way to show off your knowledge when it is not asked for or for other unknown reasons.

If all helpful people, really want to help, the only way I think of, is to sit down with those 'ops' into 'detox', 'sugar free life', 'low carb' people, and make them eat what 'helpful people' think would be beneficial for them. Is it feasible? Is it practical? are we adults? are we free to make our own choices?

Think!
This discussion has been closed.