10 day green smoothie cleanse

Options

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Eating burgers and fries is a better idea than thinking a green smoothie is the path to health.

I don't think she thinks smoothies are a "plan to health"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Eating burgers and fries is a better idea than thinking a green smoothie is the path to health.

But how do you know this, assuming I guess.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

There are no pros to cleansing because there is no such thing..

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

you can't debate it because it is non debatable..

again, you can't debate something that does not exist….

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

please list the pros of doing something that does not exist...

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

I know that OP does not understand CICO because she thinks a cleanse will jumpstart weight loss, which it won't. What happens on day 10 when OP goes back to eating regular food and gains back the five pounds in water weight that she just lost? let me guess she will do another "cleanse" and lose five to ten pounds and then gain it back when she stops, hence the yo-yo dieting begins.

So your position is that we should just encourage ignorance, because it may help OP lose weight in the short term…?
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options

My body. I have done the smoothie cleanse before and it really makes you crave healthy food. A bite of something fried or unhealthy just hurts your stomach

It kind of looks that way to me.
  • emhunter
    Options
    I agree that pointing out the pros and cons of a "cleanse" and establishing realistic expectations is necessary. However, you can do that without imposing our beliefs or opinions on grown adults. Yes you will likely lose a lot of water from cleanses but this is the same as when one starts eating at a deficit and working out. Drinking smoothies does not mean you aren't getting 1200 cals. That can be done. You won't die from it. There's no harm if someone choses to try a "cleanse" to start their weight loss journey. Whether one thinks cleanses are helpful or marketing schemes is not important. If someone wants to "jumpstart" their journey with it, it doesn't matter as long as they have realistic expectations.

It's like trying to discuss the pros and cons of being beamed aboard to the star ship enterprise...

I won't debate whether there is a thing called a cleanse. The point remains that whatever the user calls a cleanse has pros and cons. Pros being that for some it could cause them to start on a weight loss journey.

It's not about whether a cleanse exist. That's why I am not debating it. There are pros to successfully doing what some may call a gimmick.

Whether you call it a cleanse or not DOES NOT MATTER. What matters is doing the thing the OP calls a cleanse, exist. That is drinking her green smoothies. That has pros. Not eating burgers and fries all day, starting to reduce calories, thinking about doing something to lose weight by consuming less than they expend.

So you are saying that it is fine to just let the op believe she is "Cleansing" because the cleanse will be less calories than her normal diet?

Then why is it wrong to say to eat anything you like that is less calories? That is all that people are saying, eat anything you like but less calories.

No I'm not saying anything about whether you want to call it cleansing or not. I'm saying that those that do what some perceive as gimmicks on here are not all set up for failure. They aren't all unaware of CICO. Some people do benefit from having a more drastic start to their weight loss. That's all im saying.

There's nothing wrong with saying eat whatever you like but less calories. Never said there was. Just for some people, they need a plan so that just eat less doesn't work. I'm one of those people. I need a more detailed plan.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Ok, so believing in a theoretical cleanse and not understanding that weight loss is about CICO is the benefit? All that is going to do is set OP for yo-yo dieting as OP will not understand what weight loss is about.

You're assuming that the OP doesn't understand CICO. If realistic expectations about what they are doing are established, they are doing it in a healthy way, and they have weighed their pros and cons, it's not setting the person up for yo-yo. Some people are motivated and encouraged by seeing the scale move even if it's mostly water. Some people find it easier to follow a plan for a few days then to simply eat less and move more. People are individuals and what works for some doesn't work for others. Everyone can't approach life the same way. Everyone can't approach weight loss the same way. What motivates people is highly individualized. If the OP is educated about what she is doing and being healthy, then no, there is nothing wrong with consuming smoothies for 10 days.

Where has it been suggested that everyone approach life and weight loss the same way??

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

If a person understood CICO they would know that a cleanse is not necessary, will result in rapid water weight loss but not true fat loss, and that they will be spending an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom. If they understood CICO they would know the smoothies won't do anything for them that eating real food at a calorie deficit wouldn't do, that there are more potential bad outcomes than good...

A lot of assumptions on your part that are just not supported by the posting history of the vast majority of the people inquiring about these cleanses.

Also you never answered my earlier question, when you are advising these people to "jumpstart their journey" with a cleanse, as part of helping them have realistic expectations do you inform them about the unpleasant bathroom experiences they are about to embark on?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've always found the "they're wrong, but don't tell them because they may still gain benefits from their idea based on wrongness" approach insulting.
  • ndj1979
    Options

So you are saying that it is fine to just let the op believe she is "Cleansing" because the cleanse will be less calories than her normal diet?

Then why is it wrong to say to eat anything you like that is less calories? That is all that people are saying, eat anything you like but less calories.

No I'm not saying anything about whether you want to call it cleansing or not. I'm saying that those that do what some perceive as gimmicks on here are not all set up for failure. They aren't all unaware of CICO. Some people do benefit from having a more drastic start to their weight loss. That's all im saying.

There's nothing wrong with saying eat whatever you like but less calories. Never said there was. Just for some people, they need a plan so that just eat less doesn't work. I'm one of those people. I need a more detailed plan.

so we should encourage ignorance, because weight loss???

I mean, I can't believe this is even being debated….I think this may be top ten most ridiculous debates in MFP history …officially mind blown…

mind-blowing-power-o.gif
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Knew by the title of the post I'd be in for a good laugh and this thread did not disappoint. Brava.

p.s. Maybe just maybe, the OP and everyone else who uses the term "cleanse" improperly, truly means that they just want to feel better. If you've been eating nothing but junk for years and suddenly decided to drink smoothies for a couple of meals, as long as you're putting all the good stuff in, including lots and lots of veggies, then you're going to feel "better" or, dare I say it, "cleansed." True, this is not the meaning of the word and if your kidneys are not doing a very good job at cleansing your system of toxins, then I doubt a green smoothie will help, but it will help people eat more veggies (assuming they shove them into the blender...), and that results in more vitamins and fiber which may just help one feel better or healthier. It's all in perception. But I think everyone arguing about the definition of words actually knew this...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I believe that you started your very positive weight loss journey with a gimmick that led on to some thing more sustainable. Very well done :)

The danger is though that people tell every poster on to a fad jump start that it is a good thing.

In the main it isn't, it seems controlling, too restrictive, leads to binges or even quitting etc.

I'm just trying to tell the op that she doesn't have to just drink smoothies for 10 days, she can eat/drink anything she likes that totals calories less than she burns.
  • emhunter
    edited November 2015
    Options

I know that OP does not understand CICO because she thinks a cleanse will jumpstart weight loss, which it won't. What happens on day 10 when OP goes back to eating regular food and gains back the five pounds in water weight that she just lost? let me guess she will do another "cleanse" and lose five to ten pounds and then gain it back when she stops, hence the yo-yo dieting begins.

So your position is that we should just encourage ignorance, because it may help OP lose weight in the short term…?

You don't know that. Your post is full of assumptions. Losing weight even if water is a start to weight loss. Arguing over what term to call it is futile.

In addition, you are assuming the plan is to go right back to eating unhealthy after 10 days. You're assuming she will go back to eating poorly. If she starts eating sensibly after the 10 days she will not gain all she lost back.

I've never said to encourage ignorance. EVER. I said I'd be happy to share my info with the OP. I also said that others should share their info. What I agreed with is that if it gets the OP started on their journey, they are doing it in a healthy manner, they have realistic expectations, and have weighed their pros and cons of their method then go for it.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    How do they have realistic expectations if they are planning on doing a smoothie cleanse? That is unrealstic from the start.
  • queenliz99
    Options

You don't know that. Your post is full of assumptions. Losing weight even if water is a start to weight loss. Arguing over what term to call it is futile.

In addition, you are assuming the plan is to go right back to eating unhealthy after 10 days. You're assuming she will go back to eating poorly. If she starts eating sensibly after the 10 days she will not gain all she lost back.

I've never said to encourage ignorance. EVER. I said I'd be happy to share my info with the OP. I also said that others should share their info. What I agreed with is that if it gets the OP started on their journey, they are doing it in a healthy manner, they have realistic expectations, and have weighed their pros and cons of their method then go for it.

Your posts are full assumptions too.
  • ndj1979
    Options

by failing to correct OP's false assumption that a cleanse is necessary to jump start weight loss, you are in fact encouraging ignorance.

and the majority of your posts are full of assumptions as well.

The fact is that OP does not have a basic understanding of weight loss because she thinks that it is (1) necessary to detox her body through a cleanse and (2) that said cleanse will jump start her weight loss. Those are facts not assumptions, and based off of those facts, OP does not have an understanding of basic human physiology or weight loss in general.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Knew by the title of the post I'd be in for a good laugh and this thread did not disappoint. Brava.

p.s. Maybe just maybe, the OP and everyone else who uses the term "cleanse" improperly, truly means that they just want to feel better. If you've been eating nothing but junk for years and suddenly decided to drink smoothies for a couple of meals, as long as you're putting all the good stuff in, including lots and lots of veggies, then you're going to feel "better" or, dare I say it, "cleansed." True, this is not the meaning of the word and if your kidneys are not doing a very good job at cleansing your system of toxins, then I doubt a green smoothie will help, but it will help people eat more veggies (assuming they shove them into the blender...), and that results in more vitamins and fiber which may just help one feel better or healthier. It's all in perception. But I think everyone arguing about the definition of words actually knew this...

Basically it's a placebo effect.
  • emhunter
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Really? What assumption did I make?
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies are amazing. I have about 5 a week and I've not been sick in sooo long and my skin is great! Good luck.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Really? What assumption did I make?

Now you are being coy!
  • emhunter
    Options

by failing to correct OP's false assumption that a cleanse is necessary to jump start weight loss, you are in fact encouraging ignorance.

and the majority of your posts are full of assumptions as well.

The fact is that OP does not have a basic understanding of weight loss because she thinks that it is (1) necessary to detox her body through a cleanse and (2) that said cleanse will jump start her weight loss. Those are facts not assumptions, and based off of those facts, OP does not have an understanding of basic human physiology or weight loss in general.

I didn't see where the OP thinks cleanses are necessary. It's what she wants to do and feels helps her. Please point out where she said it is necessary.

Also tell me where I have an assumption.

Even if she thinks it's necessary that does not mean she doesn't understand weight loss. Some people need that motivation to start eating at a deficit. And losing weight is a start to the weight loss journey. That does not mean she doesn't understand weight loss because she calls it a jump start.

But none of this matters...i will say here and now OP not everyone needs to "cleanse" or drink smoothies or do any of these tricks/gimmicks to lose weight. You could lose without them. In addition they won't help you if you go back to eating more than you expend. You also don't want to starve yourself. Make sure while you are drinking your smoothies you are getting enough calories.

I don't like to assume that the OP doesn't know these things already. She may. She may not.

But I still say if the OP knows all of this, then she should go for it because it could very well be the start of a long successful weight loss journey.

This discussion has been closed.