*!* JANUARY 2016 Walking Challenge *!*

Replies

• quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Hubby just let me order a FitBit. I was planning on waiting and rewarding myself with one later on, but I like the idea of the motivation from it now. One day shipping too, and it'll be here tomorrow! I'm looking forward to being able to see the steps I take and achieving a daily goal!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited January 2016
    quiarga wrote: »
    Hubby just let me order a FitBit. I was planning on waiting and rewarding myself with one later on, but I like the idea of the motivation from it now. One day shipping too, and it'll be here tomorrow! I'm looking forward to being able to see the steps I take and achieving a daily goal!

Groovy! you will love it!!!!! Mine definitely got me moving more. I knew I was sedentary, just never realized how badly.

Oh! It also might take a week to 'learn' you. Mine did. I wear mine 24/7 (fitbit charge HR) and only put it on the charger when I am in the shower.
  • KnordRW
    KnordRW Posts: 319 Member
    OK, just finished with today's walk - 2.2 miles in 43 minutes. It actually bums me out, because I'd planned on going for twice that when I went out, but I was barely able to finish this. I was totally wiped from this one, and I'm not 100% sure why, because what I did do was my "I'm short on time" normal walk. Could it be because I overdressed for the cold and was sweating a ton?
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    got my fitbit set up last night...hoping it helps me get moving too!! anybody that has one, friend me, maybe we can help each other out
  • MizRosie22
    MizRosie22 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    KnordRW wrote: »
    Could it be because I overdressed for the cold and was sweating a ton?

Dressing for a long walk in the cold is really tricky. Your best bet is to wear fairly lightweight layers that are easy to get on & off, & carry a small backpack or one of those drawstring bags to easily carry the layers as you shed them. And try not to overdress, you'll warm up soon enough. A hat & gloves are important, people tend to lose a lot of body heat thru their head & hands.

And everyone seems to have their own cold-sensitive spots. For me, it's my neck & shoulders that tend to chill easily. For my husband, it's his hands & especially his feet (he bicycles).

With a little trial & error you'll figure out over time what works best for you. Good luck! :)

Cheers, - Rosie

• AlphaHowls
    KnordRW wrote: »
    OK, just finished with today's walk - 2.2 miles in 43 minutes. It actually bums me out, because I'd planned on going for twice that when I went out, but I was barely able to finish this. I was totally wiped from this one, and I'm not 100% sure why, because what I did do was my "I'm short on time" normal walk. Could it be because I overdressed for the cold and was sweating a ton?

That could be it. I dislike sweating and try to keep from it if at all possible. I do not like to be cold either, but sweating and getting too hot bums me out. Be proud of 2.2 miles/43 minutes that is great!!!!
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Jan 1 --30 min walk
    Jan 2 --40 min + 30 min walk
  • MizRosie22
    MizRosie22 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for organizing this challenge, Alpha!

Sat 1/2/16: 4.85 miles in 1 hr 24 minutes, which works out to 3.5 mph. Woot!

I'm getting the hang of tracking my walks using the MapMyWalk app on my phone. It's a nice tool.

A lot of rain is predicted for next week where I live in Northern CA, which we desperately need so I'm not complaining (... much ...). Heh, we'll see what happens to my resolve in the pouring rain. ;)
  • AlphaHowls
    MizRosie22 wrote: »
    Thanks for organizing this challenge, Alpha!

Sat 1/2/16: 4.85 miles in 1 hr 24 minutes, which works out to 3.5 mph. Woot!

I'm getting the hang of tracking my walks using the MapMyWalk app on my phone. It's a nice tool.

A lot of rain is predicted for next week where I live in Northern CA, which we desperately need so I'm not complaining (... much ...). Heh, we'll see what happens to my resolve in the pouring rain. ;)

Light rain I can handle...pouring rain, then youtube video time for me and walking indoors with Leslie Sansone. Also, you are most welcome :D
  • cmbert22655
    cmbert22655 Posts: 4 Member
    Did 4.9 miles today!!!
  • alishadevon
    alishadevon Posts: 1 Member
    I'm interested. How do I formally join?
  • thewash04
    thewash04 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    I am in, Trying to use the RECORD App... Says its linked but not showing exercise on here??? Can't figure it out.. :(
    :(
  • tina22014
    tina22014 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in! :)
  • jmo7748
    jmo7748 Posts: 12 Member
    2.72mi
  • kgreenkreations
    kgreenkreations Posts: 3 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    I'm in. I lost 49 pounds using MFP starting June 1st - gained back 5 at Christmas and stopped tracking. Must get my mojo back - I want to lose 100 pounds total by August. I was stunned & dismayed at how fast my bad habits came back at Christmas. :( Got to get back motivated. Walked 2.5 at the Y today, 20 minutes on the bike and nautilus -but my enthusiasm is just not there. Any advice to get back on track?

:) I looked at your profile to find out more about you, but there wasn't much info....Do you have a pedometer to keep track of your steps? Do you have a place outdoors to walk? Do you have an mp3 player or a phone for playing music or listening to podcasts or audio books while you walk? Is losing weight at the top of your list of important things to do this year? Don't wait for enthusiasm, just do it and the enthusiasm will follow. I borrow audio books from my library and listen to something really interesting while I walk and they keeps me moving. I give myself a sticker on a calendar for exceeding 10,000 steps in a day and that keeps me moving. Also check back on this thread every day to become part of a community of walkers. Best wishes to you.

• kgreenkreations
    kgreenkreations Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thank you for the great hints!!!! Audio books and the sticker - I'm going to use those! Thank you! Just walked 3.3 miles in an hour and did the bike for 25 minutes... it was a good workout. Met the challenge for today! :)
  • I'm working today (I work in home support as a home health caregiver), & I took my client out for a half hour walk while pushing his wheelchair. I wanted to go for a walk before work, but I didn't get up early enough. I might go for another walk before I return to my client's house for the second half of today's shift (it's always split - 4 hours at a time - every other Saturday). :smile:
  • AlphaHowls
    I'm interested. How do I formally join?

Nothing formal about it, just come back and post what you are up to with miles or kilometers, time, steps, whatever pleases you. No stress to it, no pushing, no shoving, just walking and enjoying it.
  • amysant
    amysant Posts: 104 Member
    Checking in: 1 hour walk outdoors. Brisk but sunny here in Colo. :)