Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Found this some time ago about cravings suggesting your body is needing some sort of vitamin or mineral when you have cravings. It suggests tryhing to eat a healthy food that provides the needed item based on what you are craving ...the link below takes you to one site with a chart about it is below:
    http://natureworksbest.com/naturopathy-works/food-cravings/

Even Alton Brown, the funny chef on Food Network has suggestions after he lost 50 pounds following a food list he created based on his knowledge of nutrition. There is a humorous and informative video online ... that link follows:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-diet-plan-0136196.html

Thursday Truth: I am lazy, plain and simple. I don't plan ahead, for anything! I procrastinate and spend my time on things that interest me in the moment instead of doing what is waiting to be done! Case in point ... yesterday on the way home from church I did some shopping and picked up some meat for a couple of recipes that I want to make, but when I got home, instead of starting on the the prep work for the recipes, I simply dumped the meat into the fridge. Another example; I have a doctor appointment this afternoon but instead of getting myself ready for it now, I've spent the entire morning fooling around on the PC ... a lot of it on MFP, some of it on Facebook ... and I haven't even opened up the email file yet! I've tried to deal with these bad habits of mine in the past by attempting to limit how much time I allow myself to spend online ... but slip back into hours a day instead of the short time I wish I would spend on in the webworld. So ... the point being is this ... we all have our limitations of one sort or another. How we deal with them makes the difference in how we lead our lives, how healthy and how happy we are. I have to admit it, when I'm engaged in my cyberworld I am complacent, relaxed, and feel 'connected'. It's only when I go offline and turn away from my screen that reality hits me in the face ... they messy office behind me, the even messier hallway to the other messy rooms in my house and the hunger in my belly that insists of being fed quickly which then has me reaching for the healthiest, easiest, quickest food items I can put together. And then, in the end, I understand exactly why I have not lost the weight I promised myself I would lose, or have done the things I have told myself I would do .... it's because ... well, I am lazy, and don't plan ahead, and procrastinate, and spend too much time on pleasure items instead of the JOB at hand.
    Follow through on Consistent Focus
    Niki

PS ... lots of typos from the spelling and grammar part of this PC .... and I'm not correcting them today!
  • beckyboo8504
    beckyboo8504 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @GraceWyatt91 I feel ya, me too. And every other attempt at weight loss, I would let that defeat me, instead of just weighing on one scale. I now won't look at the scale when they weigh me. It's so upsetting when we work so hard. You just have to trust and believe in yourself and your hard work. :smile:

@kah68 During the day I'll get really bad cravings for bread, and what I've started doing is drinking a cup of coffee when I feel that urge and it really has helped. But in the evening it's anything and everything. I've been reading up on binge eating disorder, and I'm sure it's just residual emotional issues that I haven't quite resolved yet. I think I need to find a way to deal with the stress of a toddler, a disabled mother, a new job, and my fibromyalgia is acting up. I just recently found a way to resolve some old issues that have been bogging me down, and I just need to continue working towards moving on. And I think the healthy choices are a good choice. I still have chips and stuff in the house for my daughter, but then if I let her continue eating poorly, am I not just perpetuating the system? I talked with my mom and I think we are going to have a mass cleansing of the pantry and stock up on things that when I have trouble resisting the binge, I won't be sabotaging myself as much.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth: Well, I gained weight this week. I shouldn't be surprised as I have only been giving the journey a half hearted effort this week. Mostly hoping the weight will go away, but not working hard at the plan to make it so.
    I see a lot of talk about losing water weight. When we burn fat, it metabolizes into CO2 and water. That is why we have to go to the bathroom more when we are losing weight. It is water, but it is the waste product from the fat that we are burning. That is also why we need to drink plenty of water. We need to help the kidneys along on their job of cleansing our body of the extra fluid generated by the weight loss.
    We can all do this, but it takes a lot of effort and knowing what our strengths and limitations are. Right now, I'm frustrated with the weather. It is wet and cold, often icy. I've just had too many falls to risk another one. But there are other things I can do besides walk, and what I eat is more important anyway.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @grandmakaye44 ... you are so right when you say what we eat is more important anyway! You don't 'need' to exercise to lose weight, you need it to keep your muscles strong ... and the heart is the biggest muscle to keep strong.

Today I had my doctor's appointment ... gosh I just love that physician. I told him I'd started a walking challenge but didn't go outdoors the other day because the temperature was only 5 degrees outside. He reminded me that I'm not supposed to go out when it's that cold because of the asthma I suffer from. Bless him ... here I was chiding myself for having skipped a walk day.
    Then, when we talked about my blood pressure (that's been creeping higher even with the max doze one one drug); I commented that how could I expect my heart to function at best capacity when I didn't work it to keep it strong. He started to laugh and said something along the lines of "you know what you need to do, the hard part is doing it."

So after my appointment I went to a large store and walked, and walked, and walked for 45 minutes.
    Follow-through on Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just a check in today. I was able to walk outside since it was in the 40's today. It was a good walk and I had a friend go with me. I just had to walk slower since he is having gall bladder issues. I think I managed to guilt him into walking today but that is okay. We talked business for quite a while. Then while talking ran into another teacher from a school I would like to transfer to next year. That was a great conversation with a positive outlook and hope for next year.

Are to much for dinner but at least I did walk today. However, I did plan for the treat tonight so did not overeat today. It should be okay. My weight was down this morning to 193.4 so I want to keep it moving down.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!!
    I'm struggling to keep up with all the posts, but I love how active the board is lately. :) Not even going to attempt personals tonight. I'm extremely tired--not sure if I'm getting sick or if it's just due to end of semester stress.

Thursday Truth:
    I will not make my running goal this week to run 3 days because I skipped the gym this evening. I had to stop by our admin building after school to fill out some paperwork removing DH from my insurance (yay!). Walked gunner and decided to clean up the yard a bit before we get more snow this weekend. By the time I was done with that, I just couldn't motivate myself to leave the house again. I decided to grade speeches from my couch. The good news is that I got all of them done except for 2 students who still haven't shared their videos with me on google drive.

Even though tomorrow is the last day of my week, I won't have time to run b/c we are going to DH's holiday party for work. I need to get home, drop gunner at the vet to board overnight, and then get ready for the party which starts at 6:30. It's not far from our house, but we need to check in to the hotel next door to the venue beforehand. Did I mention my DH's employer is paying for hotel rooms for anyone who wants them so there will be no DUIs? Such a great company!

At least I managed to run a 5k this week and have stayed under calories every day.
    Scale this morning read 191.8-- hoping to be back down in the 180s next week.

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week. Week 1 = 2/3 runs; 1/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice.

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    8k done/ 992k to go

Grading Goals:
    1. 17/40 AP essays
    2. 35/41 AP journals
    3. 13/15 SOS Speeches

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sun-- rest day
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wednesday wish -- I wish I could reply to everyone! There's so much activity on here it's awesome.

Thursday truth -- I keep having to remind myself that weight loss won't happen over night. I need to be patient to see if what I'm doing is working or not. As for food today, it was semi good, minus the chocolates and the small bowl of chili.... And I finally got to walk outside again! It was so nice and sunny today, just perfect walking conditions. Last night part of my county was completely flooded, luckily I don't live near that part of town. Everyday I want to at least walk during my lunch break, and then maybe after work a few times a week. I don't want to over do myself and end up quitting and giving up.

Good night everyone, I'm glad tomorrow is Friday!

- Sarah
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone!! I don’t know about you, but I’m so glad the weekend is here. This has been a LONG week at work. I guess with the crazy holiday schedules and being so sick over Christmas this was my first full week back. It’s been exhausting, but thankful for my job. Yesterday was not a good food day. I need to really get back in the habit of a solid protein breakfast. I’m not eating enough and inhaled at lunch with not the best choices. Sigh. I ate very light for dinner. Day is over so I’m moving on. I really need to use the weekends to do my meal planning and fix my meals for the week on Sunday. When I have meals already prepped, I do so much better. I’ve been drinking a TON of water, which I know is the best thing for me, BUT I cannot go to the bathroom every hour. Seriously??!!!

Saturday night I’m cooking dinner with a friend, Tonio, short for Antonio. We laugh when we’re together. I don’t see him as a long term partner/relationship, but we enjoy each other’s company. I just have to make sure he knows how I feel. I’m shocked how many of these guys want to be serious so fast. I thought that normally came from us woman. I just want to date, have fun, get to know you and see where it goes. I’m not looking to walk down any aisle any time soon. LOL!!!

@Kah68 – Thanks Kelly. It’s good to be back. Miss you guys! As you know, I had the marriage and of course child. Marriage was not a healthy one. Child is OK for the most part. LOL! It’s been fun getting to know some guys, but there are a lot of bad characters out there too. It’s exhausting weeding through the bad to find the good. My girlfriend said it’s like finding the right shoe. You have to try on a lot of shoes until you find the right fit. I’m OK being single too so I’ll just take them as they come along and get them to help with my “honey do” list too. Thanks for the lottery update. I still didn’t buy one. Oh well.

@Tanya – I’m just back too. I’ve been battling the same thing too with my feet for the past 6 months. It’s been awful!!!! I can totally relate. Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel. I’m surprised I never caught it for the amount of typing I have done for 30+ years. I’ve been making excuses too, but what’s important is you’re back. You’ve admitted it now it’s behind us and lets move forward!!!

@cblue315 – Great post! This is one of my mantras this year. Be kind. Be grateful. ALWAYS! I saw your post from last week about life.

@MountMary – I’m so glad DH is home and he’s OK. Always a blessing.

@Grace – Scales are evil!!! I try to stay off as much as possible because my anxiety goes through the roof. I know I fluctuate so bad especially around the week before, during and after my cycle so basically 3 weeks out of the month. LOL! I try to focus on my monthly total. Yes, I still weigh throughout the month, but try to only focus on the monthly number.

@Lauriek70 – It’s good to see you! I’m so sorry to read about your friend. 51 is too young and I’m just 4 years away. So sad. One of my goals this year is to Connect. I know I’m a social person and love being around people. This could also be why I’m finally ready to date and meet some men. Who knows? Life is too short and we need to enjoy every single second of it. Your other friend will be in my thoughts and prayers as well that the surgery goes as planned. Great job eating less at night and the exercise. My eating is on track, but like you’re doing I need to get up and start moving. Anything will help.

@Alison – Five Guys? Yikes! What about the bag full of fries? Crazy place. I love that I can build my own burger though so I’m always loading it with mushrooms, onions, etc. . .so good, but so bad for me!! I’m glad you guys enjoyed the show. There are some talented kids out there no doubt.

@Becky – You got the binge off your chest now move on. Just don’t do it again tonight. I know many of us struggle with LNE (late night eating). For me, I get home from work, get my son to bed and thought night time snacking was finally ME time and I deserved it. I’ve really had to break that cycle. I try to work some kind of snack or treat into logging for the day so I know it’s there if the urge happens. It’s tough, but we have to dig deep to overcome it. You can do it!!!

@Sora4ever – Patience has definitely not been my friend. Like you said this weight didn’t come on overnight and it’s not going off overnight either. I guess that’s why I love this group. We’ve got quite a few on here who have been 3+ years and still pushing along. It’s not a quick fix, but changing the way we live. I’m so thankful for this group. Hang in there and keep at it!!

@grandmakaye44 - Hugs! You admitted the gain now move on. Today is a new day. I think we're all having the winter blues and struggling with weather. I feel like I'm living in Seattle with the amount of rain Atlanta's been getting. It seems we're getting more rain than sun these days. Definitely one thing I miss about living in Las Vegas was the gorgeous weather 95% of the time.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @Sora4ever ...walking at work breaks is such a good idea. That's something I did one year while I was still working and not only did I improve my overall fitness, I dropped 20 pounds that year. Started out just walking 5 minutes to make like 700 feet distance, ended up doing 1.5 miles in 15 minutes over the course of the year ,,, and I walk with a cane!

Friday Fitness ... did my morning stretches and excercises before getting out of bed this morning. My lower back and my legs were so tight and sore when I woke up that a good 30 minute lower body session made all the difference. I positively think there is a spring in my step now :smile:

Today's fitness is to finish the kitchen KP and make a soup for the weekend.

Hope everyone has a good weekend ... the thread usually gets quite on the weekend, so everyone have a good time.
    Follow through on Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I'm not sure how to go about it yet but I've definitely got to stretch out again. I've been extra-stiff/-sore from being sick.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Earth's Rotation Day!
    January 8 is Earth’s Rotation Day, the day commemorates when French Physicist, Leon Foucault, demonstrated the Earth rotates on its axis in 1851 .

4vunv9ac2hev.jpg

The Earth's axis is tilted about 23.5° with respect to its orbital plane around the Sun.The Earth's axis is tilted about 23.5° with respect to its orbital plane around the Sun.©bigstockphoto.com/vjanez
    To prove his theory, Foucault suspended a lead-filled brass sphere, now called the Foucault Pendulum from the top of the Pantheon in Paris.
    He showed that the plane of the swing of pendulum rotated relative to the Earth’s rotation. You can now see the Foucault Pendulum demonstrating the rotation of the Earth in science museums around the world.
    How to Celebrate?
    Visit your local space and science museum to learn more about the Earth’s rotation and what effect does that have on humans.
    If you have kids, what about making a model of the Earth and the Sun with them, so that they can learn more about the Earth’s rotation?
    Did You Know…
    ...that the speed of the Earth's rotation can change from day to day and from year to year?

” The trouble with always trying to preserve the health of the body is that it is so difficult to do without destroying the health of the mind.” ~G.K. Chesterton

11857432.png

Tom
    22.jpg 66.8K
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I just wanted to let you all know I am here and cheering you all on. As of this morning I am back down to what I am calling my pre hubby weight. Between him being home for three months, the holidays, and a lack of motivation I was bouncing up and down with the same 10 pounds. I might not post much fir awhile. I am going to try and get ahold of Microsoft today and ask them why they killed my computer. It would be nice if they make it right but they probably wont. I have automatic updates lije they recommend and a couple months ago I woke up to find it had updated to windows 10. I didn't ask for this and I didn't do it. Well 2 days ago my whole screen went red and the computer crashed. Apparently this was caused by corrupted files imbeded in the upgrade. They are currently saying do not upgrade to 10. Well to late for me. So right now I am rocking the smart phone but to much Internet on it gives me a headache. Well I got to go walk the doggies and then today is yard work. Oh joy lol. Have a great day everyone.
  • beckyboo8504
    beckyboo8504 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @susan2396 That's my struggle too, but you know what, posting about it here really did help me to not dwell on it. And when I weighed today I'm down 10 lbs this week (I honestly don't even know how that's possible, but I'll take it haha!). I've even made a plan, from now on after I've served dinner, I'm going to put the left overs away before I even eat dinner. That way when I'm finished I won't be tempted by them.

Fitness friday, I don't really have any time to go out to work out, and it's awful chilly, so everyday at work I get up and walk 10 minutes around the desks haha! I've done it every day this week. Next week I think I'm going to bump it up to two 10 minute walking sessions. Usually I'd try to kill myself with exercise, but this time I'm happy with my walks.
  • GraceWyatt91
    GraceWyatt91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm so excited you guys I used the scales I started with and they say I'm now at 232 I have last 3 pounds
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @zcb64 - check out the linked apps - Sworkit is a great app that allows you to build your own workout, including many different types of warmups and stretches. I did the 5 minute standing warm-up today and was shocked how tight and sore my left arm and shoulder are, so I will be trying to do the stretches much more often to loosen up. Nice thing is that your workout is registered on MFP - bad thing is if you just watch the video, it still counts the calories! So don't cheat!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @GraceWyatt91 - woo hoo, congrats!
  • GraceWyatt91
    GraceWyatt91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you goinstd12...
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    GOINSTD12 wrote: »
    @zcb64 - check out the linked apps - Sworkit is a great app that allows you to build your own workout, including many different types of warmups and stretches. I did the 5 minute standing warm-up today and was shocked how tight and sore my left arm and shoulder are, so I will be trying to do the stretches much more often to loosen up. Nice thing is that your workout is registered on MFP - bad thing is if you just watch the video, it still counts the calories! So don't cheat!
    Yes, a fellow MFP user introduced me to the program, and I used it last night. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning feeling stiffer than I was at the time!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@grace-- congrats on the 3 lbs!

@tammy-- congrats on getting back down to the weight before the hubs came home. I'm still struggling to get to my summer weight. Closer than I was a week ago though. :)

I woudl do more personals, but need to get ready for a painting party tonight, so I will just say "hello" to the rest of you.

I will come back later to post Friday Fitness and Saturday Success.

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week. Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice.

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7
    Week 2 = x/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    8k done/ 992k to go

Grading Goals:
    1. 17/40 AP essays
    2. 5/29 Scarlet Letter research papers

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- rest day
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
    Mon-- rest day (meeting)
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Grace- Congrats on the loss.

Karen- Hope the painting party was fun.

Becky- walking at work is a great way to get moving and will help in the long term. Increasing to two times a day would be great. Not only that but a walk will help to clear your brain and give you a mental break.

Saturday success- I have managed to stick with my goal of doing something everyday this month. Thursday was really nice, convinced a friend to walk outside with me even through it was chilly but warmer than it had been. We walked for 2.4 miles and a slow pace because he has gall bladder issues right now. At least he has agreed to walk with me again.

Fitness- Climbing again and I am getting better about going over ledges and getting up on my first try. I am building upper arm strength and my ability to do pull ups.

My weight was up this morning but I am not surprised due to last night strength training via climbing. The climbing allows me to build muscles which fill with water for a day or two so they can heal the slight tears. Today, I was going to run but my muscles were not responding to running today. So therefore, I ended up walking today. Used the treadmill to increase the incline of the walk. It was a good workout this morning.

Sunday- Bike outside (weather permitting)
    Monday- Trainer workout and climbing
    Tuesday- walking/ run
    Wednesday- walk
    Thursday- run
    Friday- climb
    Saturday- swim???