290 to 178 in 10 Months! (w/photos)

Replies

• TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Such a great story. If you weren't a Riders fan, I would more supportive ;)
    Just kidding - sort of.
    In all seriousness though, amazing progress and a great attitude about it. Keep it up!
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    OH my goodness! Your story is exactly what I needed to read! It is so very inspiring. I come from a family of over-eaters and just reading stories of accomplishing and achieving makes me feel so good! I'm so proud and ecstatic that you have reclaimed your health and life and it makes me feel like: THERE IS HOPE! Yes. I shout that part because being overweight all your life makes you feel like its hopeless. I'm going to stay hopeful and book mark this post. It just really touched me. Congratulations on your accomplishments and thanks so very much for opening up and sharing. I will be friend requesting.

Thank you for the kind words SBS! Yes there's always hope but if you "do" there's "results". Really, that's all it takes is "doing". For so many years I didn't stick with healthy eating. I'd lose a few pounds then go back to old eating habits. I really don't know why I stuck with it this time, I just did. I suppose the one variable is MFP... maybe MFP is the reason? Anyways... it's never hopeless unless you stop trying. Best wishes with your own goals!!!
  • Sassy2973
    Sassy2973 Posts: 3 Member
    WOW-So awesome!!! It's amazing what one can accomplish when they put all their effort into it. Congratulations and keep up the great work! Your happiness shines through...
  • DogRiverDude
    What a trooper!!! Nice work! :)

Thank you TH2012 but it looks like you have your own story to tell! OH MY GOSH!!
  • speedygonzales32
    speedygonzales32 Posts: 21 Member
    You are amazing! You look so handsome and happy :-) I bet inside now as on the outside also!
  • DogRiverDude
    volsen14 wrote: »
    That is amazing.Way to go!

Thank you Volsen! My very best wishes for you and your own goals!
  • DogRiverDude
    Graceious1 wrote: »
    You are amazing and the dedication you have shown to your health has been phenomenal. Stay healthy!

Thank you so much for your kind words Grace but I'm really NOT amazing! Dedicated, yeah. A food weighing Freakasaurus, uh-huh... but not amazing. My best wishes to you and your goals!
  • trevnik3bys
    trevnik3bys Posts: 22 Member
    "This",… sharing details about my 10-month weight loss journey is NOT something I typically do, especially in a public forum! But a wonderful friend recently reminded me that sometimes I have to put myself "out there", so here I am! I'm not here to brag or boast; instead my purpose is to encourage/motivate just ONE person to do this… to jump in with both feet!

century_loss.jpg

On January 3, 2015 I weighed 290 pounds. My health was failing; blood pressure was through the roof and daily headaches were commonplace. My fitness level and quality of life sucked (for lack of a better word). At 290 pounds I struggled to do much of anything, let alone exercise! Even sleeping was uncomfortable; snoring (because of my weight) caused me to awake in the morning with awful headaches! It was time to lose weight.

Initially I thought that 250 would be a great starting goal. Hey… for the past 30 years I weighed at least 250 so it sounded like a reasonable number to me. During the first 3 months I only lost 15 pounds. Although I was trying to eat healthy, I wasn't tracking my food and was getting a little frustrated with my results.

On March 25, at 275 pounds, I joined MFP and as they say, the rest is history. When you're diligent and (a) faithfully/accurately log your food intake and (b) remain below your calorie goal, you WILL lose weight!

Over the course 7 months I ate EXTREMELY healthy grossing 1200-1400 calories / day. I exercised very little in the beginning (mostly due to lack of motivation and inability) BUT, as the pounds dropped and I saw success on the scale, I found myself exercising more frequency until it became a daily occurrence a few weeks in.

I followed NO DIET PLAN except what made sense to me! I ate mostly whole fruits and vegetables along with lean protein (typically, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and fish). I made substitutions where possible such as Almond Milk in place of traditional milk, and eliminated virtually all processed food from my diet! I even tried to make my own Almond Milk but found it to be a huge pain in the *kitten*, and OMG… what a mess!

One of the largest factors for me was cooking large quantities of food on the weekend. By having wholesome, hearty food available in the fridge during my busy work week, I had NO EXCUSE but to eat healthy. I also kept fresh (and frozen) fruit on hand for a quick snack. It's surprising how great fruit tastes after a couple months of avoiding junk food!

I never believed in "cheat days" however I did take two vacations over the 10-month period that set me back a little bit. That said, I was able to get back on track immediately which helped immensely.

Goals? As the pounds disappeared I kept lowering my goal… 250, 225, 210, 200, 190, 185, and finally 180… After 10 months I dropped below my ultimate goal and nobody was more surprised than me! 112 pounds in 10 months with a waist reduction of 46" to 30"… I didn't even think that was possible! I've been fluctuating between 178-182 for the past 6 weeks and I'm satisfied with my current weight. I began weight training when I hit my ultimate goal in hopes that I could tone up, if just a little. I'll never be that "ripped 20-year old" BUT, I'm happy with my progress so far! Blood pressure is normal, I'm sleeping great and have no health issues whatsoever. I even passed a comprehensive Life Insurance medical with flying colors last month!

MFP Friends? Look for friends with a positive attitude that have similar goals to you and are serious & dedicated about losing weight (or maintaining as the case may be). Share (healthy) recipes, stories of diet, fitness and exercise, what works for you and, what doesn't work for you. Work with your friends… inspire and motivate each other. You really don't need hundreds of random acquaintances. A small number of close friends has served me well during my weight loss process and we continue to inspire and motivate each other to remain fit.

It's important however to remember WHY you're losing (or maintaining) weight… for YOURSELF! MFP friends will come and go. Maybe, if you're lucky, one may even play an integral role in your success but… NO MFP friend can prevent you from making poor eating choices. The occasional treat is fine but, if you're getting close to your daily calorie goal, please stop for a second and reconsider that "caramel/cheese popcorn" before eating it! The decision to eat healthy is ultimately yours and ONLY yours. If you think about yourself first, you don't have to look… happiness and success will find you!

I wish nothing but the very best to everyone and your weight loss journey. Any goal IS achievable, you just gotta believe and jump in with both feet! Weight loss is NOT hard work BUT does require dedication and devotion. If just one person finds this inspirational, my only hope is that it's "YOU"!

D.
    "This",… sharing details about my 10-month weight loss journey is NOT something I typically do, especially in a public forum! But a wonderful friend recently reminded me that sometimes I have to put myself "out there", so here I am! I'm not here to brag or boast; instead my purpose is to encourage/motivate just ONE person to do this… to jump in with both feet!

century_loss.jpg

On January 3, 2015 I weighed 290 pounds. My health was failing; blood pressure was through the roof and daily headaches were commonplace. My fitness level and quality of life sucked (for lack of a better word). At 290 pounds I struggled to do much of anything, let alone exercise! Even sleeping was uncomfortable; snoring (because of my weight) caused me to awake in the morning with awful headaches! It was time to lose weight.

Initially I thought that 250 would be a great starting goal. Hey… for the past 30 years I weighed at least 250 so it sounded like a reasonable number to me. During the first 3 months I only lost 15 pounds. Although I was trying to eat healthy, I wasn't tracking my food and was getting a little frustrated with my results.

On March 25, at 275 pounds, I joined MFP and as they say, the rest is history. When you're diligent and (a) faithfully/accurately log your food intake and (b) remain below your calorie goal, you WILL lose weight!

Over the course 7 months I ate EXTREMELY healthy grossing 1200-1400 calories / day. I exercised very little in the beginning (mostly due to lack of motivation and inability) BUT, as the pounds dropped and I saw success on the scale, I found myself exercising more frequency until it became a daily occurrence a few weeks in.

I followed NO DIET PLAN except what made sense to me! I ate mostly whole fruits and vegetables along with lean protein (typically, chicken breast, pork tenderloin, and fish). I made substitutions where possible such as Almond Milk in place of traditional milk, and eliminated virtually all processed food from my diet! I even tried to make my own Almond Milk but found it to be a huge pain in the *kitten*, and OMG… what a mess!

One of the largest factors for me was cooking large quantities of food on the weekend. By having wholesome, hearty food available in the fridge during my busy work week, I had NO EXCUSE but to eat healthy. I also kept fresh (and frozen) fruit on hand for a quick snack. It's surprising how great fruit tastes after a couple months of avoiding junk food!

I never believed in "cheat days" however I did take two vacations over the 10-month period that set me back a little bit. That said, I was able to get back on track immediately which helped immensely.

Goals? As the pounds disappeared I kept lowering my goal… 250, 225, 210, 200, 190, 185, and finally 180… After 10 months I dropped below my ultimate goal and nobody was more surprised than me! 112 pounds in 10 months with a waist reduction of 46" to 30"… I didn't even think that was possible! I've been fluctuating between 178-182 for the past 6 weeks and I'm satisfied with my current weight. I began weight training when I hit my ultimate goal in hopes that I could tone up, if just a little. I'll never be that "ripped 20-year old" BUT, I'm happy with my progress so far! Blood pressure is normal, I'm sleeping great and have no health issues whatsoever. I even passed a comprehensive Life Insurance medical with flying colors last month!

MFP Friends? Look for friends with a positive attitude that have similar goals to you and are serious & dedicated about losing weight (or maintaining as the case may be). Share (healthy) recipes, stories of diet, fitness and exercise, what works for you and, what doesn't work for you. Work with your friends… inspire and motivate each other. You really don't need hundreds of random acquaintances. A small number of close friends has served me well during my weight loss process and we continue to inspire and motivate each other to remain fit.

It's important however to remember WHY you're losing (or maintaining) weight… for YOURSELF! MFP friends will come and go. Maybe, if you're lucky, one may even play an integral role in your success but… NO MFP friend can prevent you from making poor eating choices. The occasional treat is fine but, if you're getting close to your daily calorie goal, please stop for a second and reconsider that "caramel/cheese popcorn" before eating it! The decision to eat healthy is ultimately yours and ONLY yours. If you think about yourself first, you don't have to look… happiness and success will find you!

I wish nothing but the very best to everyone and your weight loss journey. Any goal IS achievable, you just gotta believe and jump in with both feet! Weight loss is NOT hard work BUT does require dedication and devotion. If just one person finds this inspirational, my only hope is that it's "YOU"!

D.

• trevnik3bys
    trevnik3bys Posts: 22 Member
    Congratulations!!!! You are such a great example of discipline and determination. You look fabulous and I'm sure you feel even better!

Blessings,
    Nikki
  • DogRiverDude
    SallyCHurt wrote: »
    You did an awesome job! And it really shows in the pictures! Thanks for the inspiration!

Well thank you Sally! It's a great feeling... life changing really. I'm so pleased that you were inspired. All my best with your personal goals!
  • buttersbunch
    buttersbunch Posts: 180 Member
    Congrats!! So very happy for you!! I fully
    understand what it's like to undertake a big weight loss journey, as I have lost 275 pounds myself (410 lbs. to 135 lbs.) and now use MFP to help maintain my loss! Best wishes!! na9tmqsp3kd8.jpeg
  • DogRiverDude
    Fantastic.. Congrats :)

Thanks AD! Looks like you work out a "wee bit"! Hope you didn't squash your phone taking the photo hehe!
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    What a fantastic loss! Congrats!
  • L4gym
    L4gym Posts: 81 Member
    Hot
  • DogRiverDude
    bhjaaan wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

My pleasure Bhjaan! Good luck on your own journey!
  • ljcreekmore
    ljcreekmore Posts: 33 Member
    Great Job. ;)
  • Startrooper05
    Startrooper05 Posts: 2 Member
    Brilliant story, I'm starting today keep putting it off and its no good. Might even try Almond milk as not a lover of milk anyway.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Congrats new you
  • Lauraann0204
    Lauraann0204 Posts: 34 Member
    Congrats, great story, thanks for sharing. You are a inspiration!!!
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    What an awesome story, your starting weight was 10 pounds lighter than my start....I hope to be where you are next year., 30 pounds down today..

I really appreciate this post
    Rob
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!