Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @karen-- Welcome! I'm also a karen. :smile: You'll find lots of motivation and support here--come back often and we will all get to know you.

@niki & libra-- yes, I wish I could capture in a jar how good it feels after the workout is done. Then when it's hard to get started, I could just open my jar. ;)

@kelley-- I agree about the weekend flying by. With 2 social functions, I was definitely overbooked.

@susan-- glad you are having fun playing the dating scene! You definitely deserve it. :smile:

Monday Check-in:
    Well, the weekend was okay nutrition-wise, but today I'm slightly over. I had a meeting right after work and the dinner they served was from Panera. I made decent choices for my meal (half sierra turkey sandwich and some caesar salad), but then indulged in an entire shortbread cookie. The real bummer is that dinner was so early that I was hungry again tonight and ate a half piece of pizza on top of that. Oh, and the meeting was a colossal waste of time to boot.

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week. Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice.

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7
    Week 2 = 2/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    8k done/ 992k to go

Grading Goals:
    1. 17/40 AP essays
    2. 29/29 Scarlet Letter research papers DONE
    3. x/10 AP analysis activities
    4. 10/41 AP journal reflections

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- rest day
    Sun-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day (meeting)
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie-- that stinks about the guy quitting. Can you let the other guy know how much you liked the alternate routes? Is there a suggestion box or maybe a website where you can give that type of feedback?

@massey-- Awesome on the 8 lb loss!
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 -- That's amazing that you can walk 1.5 miles in 15 minutes! I find myself pushing just to make 1 mile in 15 minutes. Usually on average I walk the mile anywhere between 16 and 17 minutes. The weather has been so nice during the days lately. I walked again during my lunch today and did 1.4 miles in 25 minutes....not my best but better than nothing.

@susan2396 -- Hey, that's awesome! I'm glad you're making friends. :)

Monday check in -- I was lazy on Saturday and Sunday....ate out on both days and didn't exercise at all. Then today, my dad calls me up at work and says, "Hey, you want to go to Hometown Buffet for my birthday?" ..... Really, how can I say no? I don't like that place, I don't want to eat a million calories in one sitting, I don't feel like being sick to my stomach all night, and his birthday isn't for another 3 days. So naturally, I said yes. :neutral:

Feeling so bloated and fat right now. :'(
    I definitely will walk tomorrow at lunch, and if I make it home before sunset, I'll walk again after work. Tomorrow was supposed to be my weight in day and when I remeasure myself, but I feel like I completely sabotaged myself...Why does my dad like buffets and all-you-can-eat places so much?! T-T
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @massey987 -- Hey, that's awesome! Good job!
  • Kristy3879
    Kristy3879 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kristy, I am here because I need to lose 100# I'm having problems with plantar fasciitis due to being so heavy and I need to link up with other people who are supportive.

I have been eating healthier this past month and going to the gym at least 3 times weekly. So far, I've lost 1 1/2 pounds and I just want to keep it going :)
  • Karendeez21
    Karendeez21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 fantastic job on losing 44 pounds that is so motivational

@massey987 great job on the 8 pounds too

This is definitely the place for me I'm weighing my self every Wednesday and i just downloaded a great app for me to help with short exercises I can get in when my toddler and baby are asleep
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goal: get to feeling better as a whole. This silly bug has me feeling BLECH in my head, body and spirit! :sick:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sora4ever wrote: »
    @Nikion901 -- That's amazing that you can walk 1.5 miles in 15 minutes! I find myself pushing just to make 1 mile in 15 minutes. Usually on average I walk the mile anywhere between 16 and 17 minutes. The weather has been so nice during the days lately. I walked again during my lunch today and did 1.4 miles in 25 minutes....not my best but better than nothing.
    T-T

I Wish!!!! ... That amount of walking was what I accomplished after a year of walking on my breaks 5 days a week at work! There was a certain path I followed that had been mapped out with the odemeter on my car so I know I was able to achieve that fast of a pace by the end of the year ... and my breaks were 15 minutes long ... and I had to get my coat on and make my way out of the building and back in again!

I've been retired for 5 years now and can barely make it to the end of my driveway ... about 50 feet, in 2 minutes now!. Of course, this is after a spinal problem that stopped all activity dead in it's tracks back about 4 years ago.

I'm currently on a campaign to walk 6 days a week and to increase the steps I take every 2 days ... and I started at something like 350 steps before I knew I had to turn back or not make it home again! ...

Niki
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the recent posters. And hello to everyone who is a 'regular'. I'm not doing any persoanls today ... not surprising, as I don't do them very often even though I am very interested in what is going on with you 'all'.

I didn't check in yesterday, and will not report on my status until I do my normal Check-in on next Monday. .. because ... there is something on my mind I'd rather talk about and put out to everyone instead.

I've been reading a lot; on here and at other places about trying to lose weight, get fit, etc. One thing that is recurring over and over is 'get a support network' and 'I'm looking for': motivation; support; someone to keep me accountable; and other statements like that .... and questions have popped into my empty head ...

What does it mean? What does it look, sound, feel?
    I mean, what is a support network, and how does it 'support' you!

Can an online group be the kind of support that you need if you are the kind of person that has to have someone pull you by your boot-straps to get you to take a walk, or slap the spoon/fork out of your hand when you overeat? Or shame you into following through on your stated goals/plans of action?

For that matter, can a diet clinic where you go in and listen to a lecture once or more a week do it?

Along the same lines ... what does it look like when you state you are looking for motivation? A 'hey, you did great!' doesn't really do it for me, does it for you? But then, something along the lines of 'get off youf fat A .. and get a move on, why don't you quit cyring the blues when you don't follow through?' would devastate me!

You see ... I think that in the end, we are our own support system. We, each of us, gets up every day and make choices all throughout the day. No one can do it for us. What we can do is USE networks of people (in person and in the cyberworld) to share our experiences and tell about what worked for us, ask about what worked for them ... have a dialogue. But the follow-through part ... that's totally on you, either you do it or you don't.

And that's why I have my motto being follow-through ... to remind myself that it's all my decision and that the decisions I want to become second nature are to eat moderately of mostly healthy promoting foods, move about more and do something that stresses my muscles every day ... and know that if I stick to it with 'consistency' that I will reach the goal I have set my 'focus' on.

Hope you all find your 'happy place' as well.
    Follow Through on Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 EXCELLENT post Niki. I think we all need to read that one and keep it close at hand. I know I for one do well when I feel I am in charge...somehow it becomes a "high" for me and motivates me to keep at it.

@Lauriek70 had an excellent post a day or too ago that I commend her for too. These are the things that keep me going.

AFM: I had a small half pound loss at this AM check in. Not great but in the right direction. I am not looking for kudos, the loss itself does that. My goal now is to slowly get into a "real life" way of doing things that is healthy and good for me, not follow some special diet. I try to keep moving, but lately the movement has been mostly cleaning this house....I prefer to do this heavy "spring cleaning" stuff while the weather is miserable so I can enjoy myself when real spring comes and I can get outside and forget the house.

I am still trying to find the perfect motto. Niki's "follow through" is sure a good one. Maybe I will adopt it my friend...do you mind???
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say I'm so glad this thread is still around.
    It's been around for over 5 years now (5-1/2, I think) and was a huge help to me back when I was CoryIda and was losing weight starting in 2010. I don't know that I would have been as successful without this fantastic group of people and the support they provide each other.
    To give anyone struggling hope - I lost and have maintained 135 (fluctuating between 120-135) pounds for 4-1/2 years and that's even after a spinal cord injury eliminated most of my ability to exercise.
    It IS possible - it's hard work, but you CAN do this.
    Good luck, everyone!
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Where did this day go?? It’s been a LONG one with work at 6:45 a.m., made myself take a half hour lunch, but it was at my desk (not good) and I’m still working plus I have a vendor dinner tonight. Sigh. I’m definitely partaking in an adult beverage (or two). Eating was OK, but ate more at lunch than I should have knowing I have a dinner tonight. I’m going to definitely be eating light the next few days. I really have to start going to bed sooner and get back to working out in the early AM at 5 when the gym opens. When I get home, I’m just plain exhausted and it’s NOT happening in the evening. No more excuses!!!!

@kah68 – Kelley, what grad class are you taking? I must have missed that while I was gone. I don’t miss those classes one bit. I’ve been hearing a lot of positive from folks on pressure cookers. Eggs in 8 minutes? Nice. I may need to check one out. Which brand did you buy?

@LC_libra – I’m in the same boat with a neglected gym membership. I look at my stairs every day and say to myself climb them for 10 minutes. Great exercise!! Plus, you have a great weight – 25 lb toddler – free weight training. 

@skinnyjeanz – Thanks!! Unfortunately, early on I met some poor characters I’m afraid, but I’ve got one that is definitely a potential keeper for the long term. Friday night is a big date night for us. He’s been away on business since the day after Christmas so daily phone talk and texting. We need face time!!

@massey – Nice loss! 8 lbs is awesome!!

@Sora4ever – I call those places the trough. I feel like a big piggy when I’m done. Not a big fan of buffets that’s for sure, but hard to say no to Dad and his birthday. Perhaps load up on a big salad first, broth soup, etc. . . I really wish I lived closer to some of you. I could see some great walking partners. I’m about a 16-17 minute mile too. It’s so nice to have an accountability partner so your both counting on each other.

@klm441 – There’s quite a few of us battling PF as well. For me it’s been my Achilles Heel. I was in a really good routine with my work outs than the pain was so bad I haven’t really worked out since. It’s better and I need to get motivated again. Vicious cycle, but this group is an AMAZING support system. Check in daily if you can.

@karendeez – Welcome! This is a great thread for support and motivation. Use it often if you can.

@nikion901 – Niki, you’ve always provided some great insight. Nice post.

@tallglass – I love when previous posters check back in and see this thread is still going. It really says a lot to the support we have for each other. CONGRATS on maintaining for 4 ½ year especially after such a debilitating injury. It is hard, but you’re right – We CAN do this!!
  • Macbeau257
    Macbeau257 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm glad I found this thread. You seem like a really friendly bunch. I need to lose ~100lb which at the minute seems like a mountain and just impossible. I'm going to try and just focus on a little every week and see the changes come slowly. I you want to add me to your friend list or if anyone is on Fitbit add me to that as well.
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I need to lose, @ 5 '7" ... a lot - but my goals will be in stages. First 225 (from 266) by summer. Then 190 by Xmas (that will be tough - too much?). These were my original goals in 2011 when I found MFP and lost 25lbs pretty quickly. Right now, I am a lb. over my starting weight, but with clearly less muscle. Still, considering how far my backslide has been, I am actually relieved that I have got back at least to that fairly quickly.

I stated on another forum that the amazing thing is how easily one can start rationalizing gross overindulgence and poor food choices when not logging. I've been away for a year (I didn't even realize that). MFP has been the only way I have lost weight in the last 15 years because it keeps you aware and can force exercise when putting it off has become an absurd habit ("Oh, look, it's two weeks since I took those walks I said I'd be doing daily").

I hope some of you will egg me on - I haven't been below 238 for a dozen years and just a week of refocusing and realizing I can do this without crazy cravings or huge fatigue after exercise has been great motivation itself.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Welcome to all of the newlings that have stopped by recently. You found a great place for support and motivation, check back often.

@alvin_grung ~At first glance your goals seemed daunting, but to lose a little over 75 pounds by Christmas is doable, that is ~7.5# a month--which is ~2# a week, completely doable if you stick to your guns! :wink: Good luck!

@Macbeau257 ~Try not to look at the big picture, concentrate on setting smaller goals for yourself--it seems less daunting that way. I started out setting 5# goals and then did something special for myself when I reached that goal. I also started out with small changes, changed one thing then when it became a habit changed something else. You'll be surprised how just making small changes can make a huge difference!

@massey987 ~Awesome loss! :star:

@mountmary84 (Barb)~Congrats on your loss this week, yep we need to be our own cheerleaders sometimes. :star:

@susan2396 (Susan) ~I'm not sure I've mentioned this grad class much, I'm preparing to sit for the TERP-10 exam in May. Its pretty intense but will help me take my career in a different direction. I have the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, only available on Amazon--its coming in really handy so far, huge time saver!

@Laurie ~I'm sorry the person that was setting the more challenging routes on the rock climbing wall left, I hope someone else can follow in their footsteps so you are still able to challenge yourself

AFM~Not much to report, I'm trucking along. Is it Friday yet? :tired_face:
  • eleanorcoonce
    eleanorcoonce Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am super excited to see this blog. I was on MFP before but as someone said earlier it is easy to get lost completely when you don't log in. I couldn't remember my password or user name. Thank God for the app.
    I am almost 43 years old and we have 10 children. I have birthed 8 and the only reason I mention that is because it obviously changes your body.
    I have well over 100 pounds to lose and I desperately need support. I want to do so much with and for my children and grand children not to mention my husband and it's not gonna happen if I don't make changes. I do have support from my family but it is not quite the same. They don't get it and don't want to hurt my feelings. Anyway I am looking forward to changing my life forever.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

@laurie- can you let someone at the gym know how much you liked nick's routes on the rock wall?

@kelley-- I was also wondering about the grad class. I googled TERP 10 and the explanation of it hurt my brain a little. Something to do with computers and business is what I inferred. This is actually the one week of the semester that I don't want to get to Friday. It's finals week, so I have a lot of time to grade and plan for second semester. A colleague and I spent this afternoon planning the entire 3rd quarter for our juniors. Great Gatsby. Squee! <3

Welcome alvin, eleanor, macbeau, and any others I wished!

@susan-- I hear you about working out more consistently. Today my meeting ended earlier than expected and I should have gone to the gym, but I just couldn't face going back out into the cold.

@coryida-- wow, what a blast from the past!! Great to see you again! :)

@barb-- I also still need to figure out my motto. I love your plan to get your work done before the nice weather arrives.

@niki-- brilliant post!

@kristy-- I also suffered from terrible plantar fasciitis several years ago. I finally went to the podiatrist and got fitted for custom orhotics. A combination of wearing those pretty consistently and also switching to more sensible shoes has kept me pain-free for years and allowed me to take up running as my primary mode of exercise.

@sora-- it's so hard to be consistent when others want to go out to eat? Social eating and drinking with my friends is still the one thing that is most likely to tempt me to consume too many calories. For a long time, I did really well at making smart choices, even at restaurants, so I know it's doable. I just need to do it. :blush:

Tuesday Goals:
    I got through a bit more of the grading today while my juniors took their final. However, my public speaking final was to give a speech, so I had to, you know, actually pay attention. :wink: As I mentioned above, I spent most of the afternoon planning, but should finish the AP essays tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

I would love to done with all the grading by Friday b/c my friends and I are doing an overnight in Milwaukee this weekend to celebrate a couple of birthdays. It would be nice to not have to think about grading when I return on Sunday.

Tomorrow I will go to the gym and run for sure. If I'm feeling good, I will complete an 8k to get one of those under my belt before we hit the halfway point of this month.

Fitness Goals for the month of January:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week. Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks. DONE
    I will run an 8k twice.

Nutrition Goal for January:
    Stay under calorie goal 6/7 days each week.
    Week 1 = 6/7
    Week 2 = 2/7

You vs Year Challenge:
    12k done/ 988k to go

Grading Goals:
    1. 20/40 AP essays
    2. 10/41 AP journal reflections
    3. x/10 AP analysis activities

Exercise Goals:
    Sat-- rest day
    Sun-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- rest day (meeting)
    Tues-- rest day (meeting)
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Karen ~LOL I’m so sorry, I think I was writing my post so quickly last night that I probably should have explained TERP-10. It’s a 10-day (80 hours) course and subsequent exam to become certified in SAP ERP software. SAP is an acronym for “Systems Applications and Products,” its software that offers a wide range of applications within one software that businesses use for product planning, cost, manufacturing, marketing, sales, accounting, human resource management, etc. Right now I’m taking an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) course that will lead me into the intense 10-day academy in May—for two weeks (8-hours a day classroom instruction) I’ll attend this academy and then on the 10th day I sit for the complicated 3-hour exam. So my vacation this year is to take a 10-day course and punish myself with an intense exam at the end of it :weary:--the last two days I’ve asked myself what I’ve gotten myself into! :astonished:

@eleanorcoonce ~Welcome, you found a great place for support and motivation so check back often. You must be super busy with 10-children! :wink:
  • eleanorcoonce
    eleanorcoonce Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK so it's Wed and it is wish day....I wish I would get up earlier and take time for myself. Seems like I always have good intentions the night before but when the morning rolls around I just hit snooze and wait till I have to get up. We even had a 2 hour delay for school and I slept in longer.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    @kah68 Kelley, this TERP thing will be so worthwhile when you get it though, you will thank yourself for the sacrifice and effort when it is finished. (it does sound like a dilly though...not for me that is sure)