WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: No wonder you love pottery! When I see the earrings I see two halves of your heart. :heart:

Miriam: Your daughter's bedroom is cozy and colorful. It seems like a happy place to me & I'll bet it does to her, too. :bigsmile: I am a fellow SAD sufferer. :ohwell:

Becca: Congratulations on your crab feast and lovely visit with DMIL. And congratulations for staying on track though all the temptations. :flowerforyou:

Penny: Love your micro-essay. I can't imagine longing for the dark but your words give me a new perspective. :smiley:

Heather: Your grandchildren are adorable. Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:

m1cbry: Motivation comes from within. We can only cheer you on and give you encouragement and share things that have worked for us. I didn't find my motivation until I gave myself bursitis posting during a riding lesson that was part of a series of lessons DH gave me as a present. When I couldn't do something I really wanted to do I got mad, and developed enough frustrated energy to do something about it. Then I was lucky enough to find MFP where I learned how to succeed. Good luck finding your motivation. We're here to encourage you. :flowerforyou:

DH & I are both having major tummy upsets and we're not going anywhere that is too far from the loo today. Luckily, there are three in our house and only two of us.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    i gals,

Alison – have you contacted fitbit to see what they say, lots of folks say they have really good customer service.

Miriam - the room is really cute! You could stitch trim on the curtains or tie dye them… I don’t know what fabric it is, but I took a olive green shirt that I didn’t like and got it ready for tie dye with the rubber bands and fold and then put it in a bleach and water bath and got rid of some of the green, - it came out neat with the darker green, a limey shade in some parts and a more yellowy white in other places…

Beth – that is beautiful!

Had breakfast while I read, off to work now.

smiles

Kim from N. California
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My first meal with the massive amount of cut up veggies -- boiled a few cup of veggies until soft, added a cup of Ready Rice (brown) from Uncle Ben, added 2 cups Pacific Organic Butternut Squash soup, and 1 can of northern beans. Voila!
    A quick, filling meal with an abundance of fiber (will have this for lunch for a few days).

Kimses in MA
  • colleenclark336
    colleenclark336 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I need some friends on here and you guys look amazing!
    I am almost 55 and want to lose between 30-35 lbs. I have lost my confidence and feel frumpy and old and I need to get my mojo back!

I would welcome some friends on here so we can help each other out and hold each other accountable.

Colleen
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello Colleen ... Welcome!

Miriam ... I like the sides on your shadow box! Thanks for the information!

Katla ... Hope you feel better soon!

Sylvia ... I sweep every day because of the dog hair ... Just one black lab! And we tease there's enough fur to make a puppy!

Beth near Buffalo where it's cold and windy!

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    love the pic of the table, it looks like the right size for the spot it was in.

well, i pressure washed the back deck. it was starting to get slick when we walk out there to get to the bikes, wearing our bike shoes can make it more slippery. that's the last thing we need it to slip!.

my perspective buyer came over right after i was done pressure washing and asked if i had time to drop it off to her guy so he could give her the thumbs up or down on the car. kirby had put some gas in it last night just to make sure that it had enough. that was my first time in driving it for who knows how long and i was nervous. no power steering and my shoulder was one thought. kirby said it was dying on him when it came to a stop, so it wasn't holding an idle because it needed a tune up. well, the Man upstairs was with me, no shoulder issues, and it held the idle at all stops lights, started up like a charm. i was sooooo happy, it brought back alot of memories. dropped it off and they brought me back home and will let me know later today i guess. crossing fingers.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Katla - Get well soonest! :flowerforyou: No fun.

Heather UK

• ginadaye
    ginadaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yaaaay! Broke a plateau I've struggled with and never been able to break through...down 35 lbs!! On to 40! Happy day!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    spin- 45min, 80r 1122w, 10-17g, 148mhr, 17.8mi = 407c
    Other- physical therapy at gym- 31.23min, 8 stretches, 3 sets of 10ea 84mhr = 44c
    other- power wash deck- 40 min = 50c
    total cal 501
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ginadaye wrote: »
    Yaaaay! Broke a plateau I've struggled with and never been able to break through...down 35 lbs!! On to 40! Happy day!

YEAYYYYY!!!!!!
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Pip -glad all went so well!! hopefully the sale will go as smoothly

Ginadaye - congrats!!

smiles Kim in a partly sunny N. Cal
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Michele, Heather - any one else that has made the spinach feta pie I have a "bunch" of mixed greens, chard, kale and beet tops - do you think I could steam them and mix them in with the spinach? I think I need to steam and drain well so it doesn't get to damp, but should be ok? yes???
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to let you know that I am moving this coming weekend and can't wait to get back to my healthy eating! Love and miss you all. <3

Gloria
  • lynnsyoung164
    lynnsyoung164 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been reading everyone's post and a little scared to jump in. Jumping in means accountability as well as support. You all seem very nice and have so much going on. I keep reading and finding inspiration. I turn 50 next week. My goal for January has been to log my food every day and I'm doing terrible so far. I'm off work today and had said I would start decluttering my bedroom because I have new furniture coming next week. I'm still laying in the bath on my phone reading your post. :blush: I worked out today and logged my breakfast which is a big start in the right direction. And here I am posting so maybe I'll set a timer and take a baby step on my bedroom. I've been on MFP for over a year now and lost and gained it back. Only consistent logging keeps me on track. I have a grown DD and DS with the best DH a woman could ask for.
    Here I come 50. Ready or not.

Lynn in NC
  • dlmcgowan93
    dlmcgowan93 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I want to be here with all you creative motivated people. I just re-started 10 days ago. I too am doing the pitch, sort and clean...my house, my mind and my body. I am 50 years old and am in very bad physical condition. I had a stroke 9 years ago because of a heart defect I didn't know existed. I worked very hard at getting most of my deficits back so now its time to get in shape so that I can walk and breathe at the same time. I also have a few family events happening this year and I want to be able to enjoy myself and not be embarrassed of being in photographs. I am about 75 pounds overweight. I have several short term goals like adding exercise, drinking more water, logging daily but doing these will help me to this goal to reach 35 pound loss by June 18th (my sister's wedding) and another 20 pounds by October 1st (my daughter's wedding).
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) Our tidying efforts have resulted in better arrangements in several of my drawers and a trip to the thrift shop to deliver a surround sound system, a VCR, a DVD player, a two drawer file cabinet, some yarn, and some miscellaneous clothing.

:) I'm glad that I didn't give up on marie kondo's book before I got to the really good part where she talks about greeting your house when you get home and thanking it for taking care of you.

:)Pip, I'm thinking good thoughts for the sale of your car.

<3 Barbie
  • bobshouse
    bobshouse Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will be a scary 59 in a couple of weeks. I am an English woman living in France. I have been here six years having taken early retirement when my hubby was made redundant. In the last twenty years I have gone from UK size 18 to size 10 and am currently a size 14. I would like to be a 12!
    My life has changed beyond recognition. I was a townie and am now so rural there are no visible neighbour or street lights! I cook just about everything from scratch and am working towards self sufficiency.
    My main problem is not being so bothered about being plump!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Well here it is Monday again. The weekend flew by, we had two birthday partys. One for my oldest great grandson who was 5 and the youngest great grandson that just turned 1. Weigh in this morning has me down .1 for the week. With the cake and ice cream over the weekend I will take it.

I gave in yesterday and went and got my hair cut. I don't know why I make it so hard to decide. It was getting pretty long and could not get it to do much. So got the top and sides cut short and left the back. Looks 70's but don't care, I like it and feels so much better.

I love all the pictures of our fur babies.

Penny--That debate would of been fun to watch. How funny.

Sylvia--I would think they would have to ask before they would use a picture in something put out to the public. Remember no matter what you have so much to be proud of and don't let it get you down. Your table looks really nice and the price was great.

Happy dance, I got one project done this last weekend. I got all the pictures put into the albums. There was a couple hundred, I love to take pictures. Today I have some from this last weekend to pick up at Wal Greens and will get them in the book and not let myself get so far behind again. Last evening while getting ready for bed I was looking in the cabnit in the bathroom. Ending up getting a trash bag and cleaning and redoing it. DH just shook his head, but I feel better it is done.

Allison--I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to someone. They could help you decide what would be best for you and help you make choices. Either way you need to take care of you and if staying together you can do that, it is your choice. I am not here to judge you and glad to have you as my friend no matter what you decide.

Kim--I remember when I was young and would go visit my grandparents we would go out to the garden and pick kohirabis and peel and eat them. I liked them then, but haven't had one for years.

Donna--Hugs! It is not easy when our children are hurting and having them back home is a blessings and curse. Take it One day at a time.

Jane--Glad to hear MIL is doing well.

Mindy--Have you checked into the SHIPS program for you meds? I know they can help get them at lower or no cost. I know we have people at our hospital that help getting signed up. Good Luck.

KJLamore--Sorry to hear about your sister. Sending prayers and hugs for all of you.

Cheri--good picture, Thanks for sharing, Looks like you were having a lot of fun.

Carol-Hugs.

Lori--Welcome, come often and get to know us, this is a great group for friendship and support.

miriam--What a cute girls room. I bet she loves it!

Heather--Your DGC are so cute and growing up so fast.

Well time to sign off and get some work done. Have a great rest of the day. Love each and everyone of you.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Peach1948 aka Carol Oh she is amazing! I lived with them before I got married, to save on money. Then I kind of lived with her son for a month, while we planned the wedding. Something I kind of kept from my Mom because I felt she wouldn't think that was right. My MIL had gotten married about 2 months before I had moved in, to a guy that she had been dating for awhile. My husband had given his blessing before he went out to sea I guess.. lol

When my MIL was 4 yrs old, her mother had tipped a huge container of hot water on herself, as it was heating up, (so the story goes) and consequently my MIL had to do all the cooking for the 7 members of the family. She said she just got the stool and got things down from the shelves and did what her mother said to do. So before she could even read what the items were, she was cooking. She cooks and bakes with no regard to amounts, just by visual. To envision a 4 yr old stirring huge pots of stuff and getting hot things out of the oven.....crazy.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    m1cbry wrote: »
    STRUGGLING to stay motivated! I can't seem to get into the right mindset!

Some sayings for you.

-I GAIN WEIGHT BECAUSE MY HEAD MAKES FOOD DECISIONS THAT IGNORE WHAT MY BODY WANTS-

So just be nice to your body, and feed it good stuff. :-)

-THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN FOOD PREPARATION IS MY MOOD-

So, have fun with the process of the weighing, the chopping, the fixing. Its visually changing how your body interlinks with your minds thought processes.

-PERSEVERANCE IS BORN OUT OF AFFIRMING EACH SMALL ACCOMPLISHMENTS ALONG THE WAY TO A LARGER GOAL-

So do that mental happy dance every day you complete good decision making. :-)

-ONCE YOU WORK ON WHAT'S EATING YOU, YOU WON'T WANT TO EAT SO MUCH-

That one is a reality slap in the face for me. The why's of how we got here, are as important as what we consume. Even more so, if we wish to keep lost lbs truly lost and gone.

Hope these help, I have a index card pile full of great sayings and motivational words. I "snack" on them visually every day, reprogramming my brain to continuously make smart decisions and choices.

Becca
    the Mantra Momma in
    Oregon