WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Barbie – How could you possibly part with yarn? I can only throw it away when it is pieces so short they can’t be used. Any color can be made into something, if I only have another color to combine. (See, that’s why I will ALWAYS be a packrat). Kudos to you ! ! !

Becca – I can’t disagree about the quinoa, except that I have been eating old fashion oatmeal for quite some time, so ½ and ½ wasn’t too much of an issue for me. Cutting down to a total of 1 serving was the problem, because I didn’t measure anything until MFP and this lovely thread. Thanks Everyone ! ! !

Bonnie – Hugs and Prayers ! ! ! I took care of my Mom for a few months, then we all gathered after what was to be her final stroke, where we all spent 72 hours at a hospital while she was in Palliative care. Your son is so lucky to have you as parents. I hope you are taking as good of care for yourself as you are of him. More Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Gina – I admire your treadmill work, because I also have bad knees (RA and OA) so I pretty much only ride a bike or use a handbike at the gym. Keep doing your best. I also started having popsicle in the evening, usually during a hot flash. I read about that in The HungryGirl book. Yesterday at Big Lots I bought Crystal Light water enhancer in Pomegranate Lemonade; just a few drops in a 50 oz bottle of water, and it makes life more fun, and I find it easier to drink all the water I need for a day. A co-worker is using another trick I learned from this thread: she puts rubber bands on her water bottle, and each time she refills the bottle she removes a rubber band, and when all the bands are gone she has succeeded with her water drinking goal.

Pip – Yay ! ! !

Hugs again for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join yall...I just turned 50 in November...6 hours after my Mom passed..not the 50th birthday anyone expects. I am wanting to lose 40-50 lbs right now. My son is getting married Oct 2017 so I want to look good for those wedding pictures.
  • BonnieSpins
    BonnieSpins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome. I realized that I didn't say where I am from. I'm from Baltimore, MD. We do have fun things to do too. My husband weaves, and I spin, weave, crochet and knit. I have to admit, that's what helps us keep going.

Bonnie
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    :sunglasses: Up to date with reading but not much time to comment. :sunglasses:

Pip Woo Hoo! Happy motoring in your new bug!
    Everyone else Great pics. You've all been so busy.
    Keep on keeping on! :)

Da Christmas bulge is finally gone!

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/custom/image/grey%5E_%5Egeorgia%5E_%5E3%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EWelcome! Newbies!%5E_%5E.gif[/img]

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

80464089.png

:star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bonnie Prayers!
    Yeah!
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody!
    So many posts, so little time. I appreciate all of the encouraging words.

Bonnie - (((Hugs)))) Enjoy every moment with your son. I admire your strength.

Vicki – Yes, it does hurt when your child hurts. Sounds like you have been there, done that. It will be okay.

KJLamore – Sorry about your sister. My husband lost his oldest brother to a brain tumor almost 15 years ago. Hubby never was the same. It’s hard losing a brother or a sister. (((Hugs)))

Sylvia - Love the new table! And what a deal!

DJ – I’m jealous! Would love to be planning/going on a cruise! We went on a Caribbean cruise for our 25th anniversary and thought there would be a cruise on the horizon for our 35th. That was last November, but we have too many things (People) that we are responsible for right now. Maybe the 40th……. That was the best, most relaxing vacation ever! Enjoy!

Beth & Miriam – Love the shadow boxes!

Mary from Minnesota – You go girl! Your posts with your routine and reps are so inspiring!
    I know there are so many I want to respond to, but there is not enough time! Everybody that is working on decluttering and organizing their spaces, it looks awesome!

Gotta go back to work tomorrow, so good night all!

Donna in frozen, windy WV
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    have been non stop since 1-i left for the gym (4:40am)! did the 5:15am spin class, 2-went to starbucks for my fuel, 3-pressure washed the back deck, 4-took the bug to my friends place so she can have someone take a look at it to make sure it was buy worthy. 5-vacuum the living room (dog hair galore)6-went to deliver a late bday gift, 7-went to puyallup to take some food to my work for the week, 8-took the beast to get filled up w/gas, 9-went to jareds to pick up kirby's watch, 10-put laundry in, 11-fill up the food bowls for the kids, 12- vacuum the area rug, 13-put clothes in the dryer, 14-another load in, 15- put my charged up lights on my bike for tomorrow 16-put something in my gut, i'm sure i missed something i know, but that was my day, kinda busy huh. oh, i gotta brush the kids now...

i should have had my hrm for some of this!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Just logging on after my weekend birthday celebration in Chicago with my family and there are over 100 posts!!! We love to chat on here and I love reading it all. Give me a day or 2 to catch up so no one post starting now....as if I could quiet this group! smiley-laughing001.gif

Left Chicago this morning where the temp was -1 degrees to arrive home in Fairlawn, Ohio at 11 degrees!

I'll try and catch up on my reading tomorrow.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! I fell better today. After my icky meeting last night, I stopped by the grocery store and bought groceries for myself for the first time in a couple of weeks. It was nice to slow down and look for things I wanted. I bought a bag of pintos and taught the boy child how to cook them so I had a hot dinner waiting when I got home. I also got a bag of 15-bean soup mix and some frozen mixed veggies so I will make bean soup and vegetable soup this weekend.

I made myself return to basics last night. I pre-logged all of my food for today and had all of my breakfast ad lunch stuff ready to pop into my lunchbox this morning. I had a serving of the WW cabbage soup and a cheese sandwich for lunch and an apple for afternoon snack. I didn't get hungry until I was on my way home from work. I had even logged in my treat for the evening--hot chocolate. So, everything is logged and ready to go for tomorrow, too.

I think I reminded myself that food is one area in which I DO have control and that made me not feel quite so down and so overwhelmed.

Do any of you ever use Amazon Prime Pantry? I got some credits for it by choosing to not exercise my Prime member rights for shipping, so I ordered a box of stuff on Saturday. It got here today! Of course, there were some things that are cheaper at the local stores so I avoided those and focused mainly on things like KIND bars which were at least a dollar cheaper per box, and a few gluten-free things for my son. It was fun opening the box and unloading it tonight!

Welcome to all of the newbies! Come on in and stay a spell. Just be sure you exercise and avoid snacking while here. :smile:

Becca - Thanks for being a ray of sunshine today! I really needed that.

Sylvia - Great deal on the table and the earrings are cool.

Beth - Your new "thing" is gorgeous!

Miriam - I love the cheerful colors in your daughter's room. Wanna come to my house and paint?!

Pip - I'm glad you sold the Bug for what you wanted!

Alison - You're in my thoughts so much! Look out for yourself, please.

And, that is as far as my memory stretches tonight.

:heart: Carol in nippy NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Donna - Thanks! This is a very busy group. It's hard to respond to everyone!

Pip - yippee! You have had a very busy day.

Cheri - welcome home!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    So much happening that I want to comment on, but so little time!

Bonnie, welcome! I'm so sorry for all you are going through with your son.

DJ, your drawers look beautiful. I am very proud of you.

Mary, you are my hero! I'd love to post my stats, but they are nowhere near as impressive as yours and who knows what to call them? I know one was deadlifts and another was called "good mornings." Both of those I did 3 sets of 15 with just the bar. Then leg extensions, one leg at a time, I used 10 lbs for that. Lunges while holding a weight at your chest. this thing where you roll the big ball toward your butt with your feet while you lift your butt off the floor, and some kind of one legged squat with one foot resting on a bench behind you holding a weight at your chest with your arms crossed. I did 3 sets of 15 of most everything except the one legged thingy. I had trouble with my balance on that one. I feel like such a wimp on the one hand, but so proud of myself for trying on the other. Then I did 10 sprints on the elliptical followed by a leisurely stroll on the treadmill for 40 minutes. For me, it was a good day!

Beth, I love your estate sale find. It is stunning.

Miriam, I love your daughter's room and the way your shadow box parallels the angle of the wall.

Out of time. Later......
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    drkatiebug - thanks! You are doing awesome! I started out doing the bar alone too. You are doing a different program than I am. The highest reps I do is 5 for Stronglifts and 10 for Kettlebell. What program are you following? It sounds like starting strength or NROLFW. Keep up the good work!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, so happy that you got the money you wanted for the bug.
  • jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Katla – thanks for your words about motivation. It caused me to think why I’m not motivated these days and considered what my motivation was last year when I lost weight. I think it was how I felt about being so heavy and the challenges it caused. I made list I made of things I hated about being so heavy. Things like: it’s hard to pick things up off the floor or tie my shoes, my muffin top sticking out so far it rubs against my arms when my arms hang straight down (like when I walk), pain in hips, and not being able to keep up with co-workers when walking across campus to meetings. It’s been awhile since I looked at the list, so it’s time take a look at it and update it.

Over the last couple months I have had my eye/vision exam, dental exam, wellness exam, mammogram with additional follow up xrays and ultrasound, and today a colonoscopy. Only thing left is a follow-up blood pressure check with my primary care physician which should be OK if the blood pressure readings today are an indication. Feeling very thankful for good results all around – God is good.

Beth – love your shadow box. Can’t image how difficult it was to refinish something with so much detail carved into the wood.

Pip – Also love your new car and congrats on selling the old one. Always a relief when transactions go that smoothly.

Sylvia – good job on finding the new table at such a great price. I really like the tablecloth! The earrings are very nice. You mentioned they are shaped like tiny clay tools. What is that type of tool used for in pottery?

Joyce in SD (still faceless since I can’t get my picture to post and haven’t heard back MFP help staff yet)

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference. ~Winston Churchill
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Carol, I have so many unfinished projects here, but I can add you to my list! I have to limit how much I do each day so I am not completely worthless the next day. I need to paint Emily's room's walls and trim, hang a door for her, paint her small dresser, paint another dresser for me, and then there is the gate leg table that I want to decorate, not just paint. It will be similar to the chair I painted for my girls' craft desk which I also painted.q1yhkb4os0ml.jpg
    tsziq9w7jqnm.jpg
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! I need some friends on here and you guys look amazing!
    I am almost 55 and want to lose between 30-35 lbs. I have lost my confidence and feel frumpy and old and I need to get my mojo back!

I would welcome some friends on here so we can help each other out and hold each other accountable.

Colleen

Welcome Colleen. Where do you hail from?

Lillian form West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    ginadaye wrote: »
    Yaaaay! Broke a plateau I've struggled with and never been able to break through...down 35 lbs!! On to 40! Happy day!

YEAH!!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Miriam - I love your furniture!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Hi everyone! I want to be here with all you creative motivated people. I just re-started 10 days ago. I too am doing the pitch, sort and clean...my house, my mind and my body. I am 50 years old and am in very bad physical condition. I had a stroke 9 years ago because of a heart defect I didn't know existed. I worked very hard at getting most of my deficits back so now its time to get in shape so that I can walk and breathe at the same time. I also have a few family events happening this year and I want to be able to enjoy myself and not be embarrassed of being in photographs. I am about 75 pounds overweight. I have several short term goals like adding exercise, drinking more water, logging daily but doing these will help me to this goal to reach 35 pound loss by June 18th (my sister's wedding) and another 20 pounds by October 1st (my daughter's wedding).

dlmcgowan93.... wow, are you related to the McGowan's from Lake Memphramagog in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. There were 17 kids in the family in 1850... Oh by the way welcome to the group. :)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan