The Clean Eating Delusion...

Replies

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    And now I am going to pick up Chipotle where I don't trust that their ingredients are GMO free as they claim. The distrust is on both sides.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I think that the "anti-clean eating" people miss the basic point when analyzing people who are looking for less processed food. I simply would rather eat a piece of bread with 5-6 basic ingredients than some processed piece of bread (like Subway, for example), with 30+ ingredients that make the bread look, feel, and taste like the 5-6 ingredient bread but also have a very long shelf life. If I can eat a burger from a cow that just wandered around eating grass it's whole life, I would prefer that over one that stood in a cage for a year and was injected with steroid and anti-biotics.

I'm not radical about it, I eat fast food and processed crap, because I just don't have time to be some naturalist that is existing out in the wild in a loincloth living off of the roots and weeds that I come across - I'm simply speaking of aspiring to eat higher quality food that are not substantially manipulated simply to make it more profitable for some corporation by increasing it's shelf life or making it look prettier.

I can get behind that...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    susan100df wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

you do realize that organic foods and vegetables are treated with pesticides, correct?

Some are. You do realize that many people grow food that is not treated with pesticides, correct?

The post you replied to said "avoid or minimize" pesticides in your body. If you want to minimize pesticides organic may do that

"Treated" by whom? There are no pesticide free plants.

Treated by a human. I've never known anyone to refer to a plant's own defense system as treatment.

I tend to trust acts of men over acts of plants. Humans have a nominal interest in not killing me, plants have an outright incentive to see me as little different from an aphid.

I agree mostly. Monsanto employees are eating the GMO foods too.

You can't deny that companies (humans) have caused people to become very sick and/or die because they put profit over safety. The first thing that comes to mind is companies releasing bad stuff into the water supply and lots of people get cancer in the area. It cost more to dispose the bad stuff properly.

Like I said I eat and feed my family GMO foods. I just don't have trust that it's 100% safe.

100% safe anything is a fallacy...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    And now I am going to pick up Chipotle where I don't trust that their ingredients are GMO free as they claim. The distrust is on both sides.

Well for the purists, their meat comes from animals that have almost certainly been fed GMOs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Your comments about chemicals are ridiculous. Of course all things are made of chemical compounds, whether found in nature or the lab. But, people eating organic or raw are trying to avoid or minimize the amount of pesticides, processed foods and toxins in their bodies. Most of what you have written are opinions, not fact, and describing others' choices as ignorant or nonsense just proves that you are the one who is both!

you do realize that organic foods and vegetables are treated with pesticides, correct?

Some are. You do realize that many people grow food that is not treated with pesticides, correct?

The post you replied to said "avoid or minimize" pesticides in your body. If you want to minimize pesticides organic may do that

Naaaah. Actually reading and replying to something that makes sense would be so boring. Making fun of people avoiding pesticides and replying that e.g. water is a chemical so they are crazy, it is just so much more fun ;)

you mean like avoiding questions about the woo woo you are trying to spread?
  • ndj1979

if you are eating organic you are not avoiding pesticides or chemicals, chances are you not minimizing them either..

not sure why you dont understand that.

I understand that I can avoid added pesticides and chemicals, and that would absolutely mean less.

so you avoid pesticides by consuming pesticides..?

that is a neat trick ..

I can avoid added pesticides by eating food not treated with pesticides. It's a very old trick.

and you know they are not treated with pesticides, how exactly?
  • I found the Monsanto shill.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

if you are eating organic you are not avoiding pesticides or chemicals, chances are you not minimizing them either..

I understand that I can avoid added pesticides and chemicals, and that would absolutely mean less.

that is a neat trick ..

I can avoid added pesticides by eating food not treated with pesticides. It's a very old trick.

Because I grow them and don't treat them.
  • ndj1979

that is a neat trick ..

so you get 100% of your fruits and vegetables from your garden 100% of the time? If yes you are in about .001% of the population...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    No I can't explain it. It's way above my pay grade.

Well seeing as the last PhD who proposed DNA somehow possibly surviving digestion had his experiment found unrepeatable with probably explanation of results being lab contamination, yeah, I imagine it would be a pretty high pay grade to show eating DNA changes DNA expression.

To be fair, DNA transformation occurs, but at a very small rate. I just can't see how having GMOs vs non-GMO could possibly increase the transformation rate.

I was under the impression that whole sale RNA passing through digestion to actually cause effects in an organism would be a novel finding in modern biology:
    http://www.biofortified.org/2013/11/so-much-for-my-favorite-2012-paper/

Hm, what a surprise that what we learned in Genetics 301 is now outdated. I wasn't thinking of microRNAs and DNA expression, but DNA transformation where bacteria can incorporate DNA from plant material in the gut, which can then also be transferred from the bacteria to the host organism.

All of that is true and has been shown in labs and replicated several times, but turns out that it hasn't ever been shown in non-optimal conditions (aka, real life):
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17961488

(To be fair, my research thesis had nothing to do with DNA transfer, so I didn't keep up with later findings.)
  • Need2Exerc1se

that is a neat trick ..

so you get 100% of your fruits and vegetables from your garden 100% of the time? If yes you are in about .001% of the population...

So, you are saying that if 100% of my food is not home grown without added pesticides that none of it is?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Good thinking

GMO is scary. E coli, salmonella, and norovirus is ok though, cuz natural.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    _John_ wrote: »

Treated by a human. I've never known anyone to refer to a plant's own defense system as treatment.

I tend to trust acts of men over acts of plants. Humans have a nominal interest in not killing me, plants have an outright incentive to see me as little different from an aphid.

You can't deny that companies (humans) have caused people to become very sick and/or die because they put profit over safety. The first thing that comes to mind is companies releasing bad stuff into the water supply and lots of people get cancer in the area. It cost more to dispose the bad stuff properly.

Like I said I eat and feed my family GMO foods. I just don't have trust that it's 100% safe.

How so? If I pick and apple, eat it and suffer no ill effects, wasn't that apple 100% safe?
  • senecarr

How so? If I pick and apple, eat it and suffer no ill effects, wasn't that apple 100% safe?

How do you know there was no ill effect? If you get cancer 20 years later, can you be sure it wasn't something in that one apple you had that one day?
    Honestly, all food is 100% not safe. Everyone I know who's died ate food at some point.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Posterior probability is always 100% or 0%.

Prior probability is never 100% or 0%.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

no, not at all. You just exposed your body to all sorts of substances with potential negative chronic/acute effects.

You do this every time you breath, drink water, touch anything.

Most of the time you happened to expose yourself to low enough concentrations that the exposure caused no observable adverse effect.
  • Need2Exerc1se

How do you know there was no ill effect? If you get cancer 20 years later, can you be sure it wasn't something in that one apple you had that one day?
    Honestly, all food is 100% not safe. Everyone I know who's died ate food at some point.

That is a rather silly argument. The fact that they died doesn't mean the food killed them.
  • Need2Exerc1se

The odds that an apple eaten 20 years ago would cause cancer today are far less than the odds that all GMO foods are not harmful.
  • Need2Exerc1se

no, not at all. You just exposed your body to all sorts of substances with potential negative chronic/acute effects.

You do this every time you breath, drink water, touch anything.

Most of the time you happened to expose yourself to low enough concentrations that the exposure caused no observable adverse effect.

Why wouldn't that mean 'safe'? No harm no foul, right?
  • senecarr

That is a rather silly argument. The fact that they died doesn't mean the food killed them.
    xKMV8.jpg