Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    @Holly It is good to hear from you. I am sorry things have been so hard for you. It is defenitley time for some good things to come into your life. You fully deserve it. I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed fr your new job. Take care and just do the best you can. We are all here for you.

As for me I am moving very slow and carefuly for a couple days. I was at the store yesterday adn bent down to get something off a bottom shelf and something unpleasant shifted in my lower back. It was fairly awful all day yesterday but a day of very limited movement and lots of time on the heating pad has me moving a little easier today. I will be calling the gym though adn cancelling tomorrows training appt. Poor doggies are just looking at me this morning to like whats up mom. They are pretty good at recognizing rain or moms really sick means no walks but hey moms up and on the computer so whats going on, lol. Oh well not today. so yesterday was an awful food day as I was feeling sorry for my sore achey self so hopefully today will be better. Well I am off to slowly do something. Have a great day everyone :):)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    TGIF everyone. I'm making 3 pounds worth of veggie stuffed meatballs today and while the mixture is resting in the oven is a perfect time for me to catch up on personals. Going backwards ...

@Tammy~ Ouch with your back, sounds like a disc. Good for you that you still attempt to do something. Me? when I have a new event with my recurring vertebrae issues, you'll find me flat on the floor for 24 hours. Good for you! Also good that your new trainer is someone who can relate.

@Morgori~ Tom, I just had to share that sign photo you shared today with my Facebook friends. There are a couple on there who post about their weight loss efforts there and they were all like "Yep, so true!!!" about it. I told them it came from a 'friend' on MFP. ... Ha! When your quote on Liberace Day didn't have a name attached, I thought maybe it was by him ... and thought, 'gee, he was smarter than I gave him credit for."

@Barb~ Sorry you ankle got sprained. Hope you didn't chip or break a bone in it. IF it stays really sore you need an x-ray of it. My SIL broke hers recently and thought it was only sprained and ended up needing surgery to pin the bones together cause they shifted from her walking on it. .... "Oh yeah Niki, tell me some more good news!?!"

@zcb94~ I hope your nutritionist is letting you eat more than 500 calories a day. I also hope this person has good credentials. If I were your grandma I'd be worried that you don't get enough nutrition to heal. What is a FIFY?

@Karen~ I had to chuckle when I read something you said about cleanses ... because sometimes I am truly amazed at a sudden drop in weight from one day to the next, until I think about it. I'm the odd-one out when it comes to sports ... stopped watching football when the Buffalo Bills went through their losses at the Super Bowls. Now I only watch if I am in the company of football fans, otherwise I don't bother.

@Holly~ Oh, I'm so glad you stopped by to let us know how you are doining. You must have gotten brain waves calling out to you from all of us who have been thinking about you and sending encouraging thoughts your way. Good luck with the job. Regarding that soda ditching that you are working on ... have you thought about infusing fruit or veggie into plain water or with seltzer ... or infusing club soda with some fruit or veggie slices? Sometimes flavored drinks go down better than plain water if you are not used to it and if you miss the fiz. I mention this because my DIL was a big soda-pop drinker and has been able to cut back a lot after she recieved an small kitchen appliance that makes water fizzy.

@Katrena~ Sounds like you had lots of fun in New Orleans. Someday I'm gonna revisit that city. Hope your surgery goes well and you have an easy recovery.

@Kelley~ Hope you were able to keep up with everything on your plate. Remember your suggestion that I lower my carbs to 40? ... well, it seems that when I'm not eating 2-3 fruits a day, and limiting my grains to the whole ones at breakfast, that I come in under that naturally. It's not only calories in-calories out, for me, it's also the composition of them that makes me do good or have cravings. Thanks for you suggestion to watch them.

@Kaye~ Glad the sciatica is responding to the chirporactic treatments. My own weight fluctuates daily, and I am just always looking for the downward trend. I weigh myself every morning but only update MFP once a week. You? That is so cool about the connection between Nicole and Matt Paradis.

@celtikgirl~ Whatever drives you boat is a good thing, and maybe it's not so much competitiveness as it is defending your methods that is the driving force ... let it drive, drive, drive!

@Laurie~ that's hard news to wrap your head and heart around, wishing well-wishes for your dad, and for the rest of the family. My mom had the same diagnosis and then she had a heart attack on her 75th birthday ... and she signed a DNR while in intensive care. It was about 9 days later that she passed ... from the heart attack, not the heart failure. However, she was the most at peace that I ever recall her being during that time. It really blew us all away.

AFM ... Talking about protein goals ... I found a simple trick the last couple of days ... less calories in, for me, means hight ratio of protein in ... and even if I don't reach the grams set for my total calorie allowance, the percntage works out ... but then, I'm only striving for 20% because I don't work out. I'd definitely need to add some whey or veggie protein powder to my meals to get enough if I did strength training.

Challenge: at protein goal of 20% 3/4... @zcb94 ... that's 3 days out of 4 days in my shorthand.
    Calories goal 4/4
    Exercise goal calories spent: 850/1370

Follow-Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @zcb94~ I hope your nutritionist is letting you eat more than 500 calories a day. I also hope this person has good credentials. If I were your grandma I'd be worried that you don't get enough nutrition to heal. What is a FIFY?
    AFM ... Talking about protein goals ... I found a simple trick the last couple of days ... less calories in, for me, means hight ratio of protein in ... and even if I don't reach the grams set for my total calorie allowance, the percntage works out ... but then, I'm only striving for 20% because I don't work out. I'd definitely need to add some whey or veggie protein powder to my meals to get enough if I did strength training.

Challenge: at protein goal of 20% 3/4... @zcb94 ... that's 3 days out of 4 days in my shorthand.
    Calories goal 4/4

Niki
    Just out of curiosity, may I ask where you're getting 500 out of those foods? They "cost me" 688 cals. My doctor, a retiring nutrition professor, is letting me have a reasonable amount, but just barely. Due to wheelchair, I can only burn, and therefore only need (please don't report me) 800 kcals/day, not even every day. Sorry I scared you!
    Fixed It For You=I edited your post as mine, though it isn't mine.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »

Calories goal 4/4

Niki
    Just out of curiosity, may I ask where you're getting 500 out of those foods? They "cost me" 688 cals. My doctor, a retiring nutrition professor, is letting me have a reasonable amount, but just barely. Due to wheelchair, I can only burn, and therefore only need (please don't report me) 800 kcals/day, not even every day. Sorry I scared you!

Oh good ... 800 a day is not a bad amount for you ... no one will report you.
  • zcb94
    edited February 2016
    Options

Calories goal 4/4

Niki

Oh good ... 800 a day is not a bad amount for you ... no one will report you.
    Ah. For most people, that's a VLCD, which, for some reason (maybe for obvious reasons) is frowned upon here. I guess it works out that way because, since I can't walk, everyone else in this quaint little "group-ette" burns a combined total of way more than I ever could just by going about their lives. I'm jealous, TBH.
  • Nikion901
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ah. For most people, that's a VLCD, which, for some reason (maybe for obvious reasons) is frowned upon here. I guess it works out that way because, since I can't walk, everyone else in this quaint little "group-ette" burns a combined total of way more than I ever could. {quote]

Well, truth be told, there are a lot of people who would be concerned you are not fueling enough for life support. Your body at total bed rest probably needs more than you are getting. It's called BMR ... "Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment, in the post-absorptive state (meaning that the digestive system is inactive, which requires about twelve hours of fasting)." Some people define it as what your body needs while you are basically sleeping to run your heart, lungs, and internal organs. There actually is a clinical test called RMR that can be used to provide an accurate amount ..see http://www.mettest.net/resting_metabolic_rate_test.html

But who would want to do that? Because it changes with your weight and age, it wouldn't be worth the expense if you could even find a place that does it.

Just sometimes, ask if that retiring professor has kept up to date with the latest studies on this topic. ... only because sometimes it's good to questions authority.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Good to know. I might have to ask if my insurance would foot the bill on such a test, because I'm curious. I'm pretty sure Dr. C knows her stuff!
  • zcb94
    Options
    That's interesting. I'll try and find out if insurance would cover such testing. I'm very confident that Dr. C knows her stuff. When not seeing patients, her nose is glued to a computer screen, which I'm sure always has relevant websites up and running.
  • zcb94
    Options
    Protein Challenge:
    Wanted 40 grams
    Got 59
    Now I almost can't eat or drink anything tomorrow (mathematically speaking), but I feel great! I'm full as a tick, feel energized and loving life. Yay!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Well, after eating eggs for breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch, fish for dinner, and nuts and peanut butter for snacks, I thought I would be good on my protein. Nope. Still way short.
    My sciatica is much better, only occasional pain. The chiropractor gave the go ahead to use my pedaller. The electrical stimulation was working so good on my hip that I asked him about my knees. He used it on my knees yesterday and today. I have less pain than I have had since my knee surgeries. I'm really excited about the possibilities. I have a portable TENS unit that we bought for DH. It is a different kind of electrical current, but maybe it will work, too.
    @Holly I'm so glad that you reported in. Life hasn't done you any favors for awhile. I hope that things turn around for you soon.
    @Tammy Sorry about the back. Hope it heals quickly.
    @Barb Take care of your ankle. It takes awhile for us "old" people to heal. ;)
    Have a fun weekend. We'll be doing some more demolition for the bathroom remodel, and enjoying family for the "Matt Paradis" party on Super Bowl Sunday.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kaye-- I hate it when you think you've got the numbers nailed and it doesn't work out. It certainly sounds like those choices should've equaled enough protein for the day, or at least come close. I would double check the food diary entries and make sure they all have the protein listed. I've had occasions where I enter something in the food diary without realizing that whomever originally entered it in the database, ignored one or more macros.

@zoe-- you are unique with your sedentary situation and being under a doctor's care it's probably not an issue. The one question I have is does your doc know you are counting and logging every calorie? Sometimes doctors lowball calorie allowances b/c most people don't track meticulously and underestimate their intake. Doctors will sometimes say "800-1000" when they really mean "1000-1200" assuming their patients will eat more than they think they are eating. If your doctor knows that you are weighing portions and keeping careful track and still recommends the 800 calories for you, then she probably has a good reason for that number.

@tammy-- ouch about your back; hope that heals quickly.

@tom-- Love it!

@barb-- ankle sprains are the worst! They can take longer than broken bones to heal, so be patient.

AM-- I had to teach an ACT prep class this morning. I hate getting up early on a Saturday, but the money is too good to pass up. At least I got up and out of the house. I even managed to get a couple of AP journals graded while my ACT students worked on practice passages.

Now I'm at starbucks finishing up the poetry analyses-- only 6 left! I will check back later so you know I finished. I know you will all be on the edge of your seats waiting for that news. LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 54/60 Poetry analyses
    2. 2/41 BNW journals
    3. x/10 AP analysis activities

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. x/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 5/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    44k done/ 956k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- rest day (donating blood) WALKED GUNNER
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • zcb94
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound, she turned me on to MFP. Again, I can't "walk it off," so that leaves me with a major disadvantage.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    RATS! I just wrote a post and lost it. I even did personals ....

I am fine, still struggling with trying to get a whole day on the log, though I usually start just fine. Weight was down this AM but this is not my weigh in day so didn't post it....now to keep it that way! Journaling would be easier if everything came in a box with a label, but that is not how I eat, so it gets complicated and I get lazy.

Kaye...how is that home TENS working for you? I have a friend with one and she likes it; I don't have one but wonder about it sometimes.

Laurie.... wondering how it is going with your dad.

Karen...I am dying to know how the poetry analyses came out.

My ankle is doing better. Thanks everyone for the concern.

Barb
    mountmary84
  • zcb94
    Options
    @mountmary84, my old PT introduced TENS technology to me to help my bad back (scoliosis). When combined with moist heat, it's heavenly. You should try it on your ankle, with doctor and therapist support! I swear, it feels kinda like a warm, loving massage, except from the inside out.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @zcb94 Did you put the moist heat on at the same time as the TENS?
  • zcb94
    Options
    @grandmakaye44, yes. Here's the method:
    1. Make sure the skin is clean and dry.
    2. I personally like to apply a coat of Milk of Magnesia so that the adhesive doesn't make me itch (optional).
    3. Let dry.
    4. Apply electrodes as prescribed by your expert
    5. Cover with your usual clothing.
    6. Top with a warmed moist-heat pad
    7. Sit back and relax, trying to stay awake.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @barb-- Haha! I truly appreciate you humoring me. The poetry analyses are finished, and most turned out okay. I agree that it's always a struggle with foods that don't come with a label-- especially a new recipe that has to be entered line by line. I'm glad that the foods I eat regularly are mostly already in my recipe or meal tab.

Saturday Success:
    The week has been pretty good as far as my goals. So far, I've only come in under protein one day and have been under calorie goal every day. Today, I'm really close to my protein goal and trying to puzzle out the rest of my calories to try to hit 100g. Struggling with options here in the house, but I think it's doable.

Exercise has also been okay. I should make my goal of 3 runs tomorrow barring any unforeseen hitches in my plan. I think I will make it one of my two 8ks.

Grading Goals:
    1. 60/60 Poetry analyses DONE
    2. 2/41 BNW journals
    3. x/10 AP analysis activities

Fitness Goals for the month of February:
    I will run 3x/week and at least one 5k/week:
    Week 1 = 2/3 runs, 1/1 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/1 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish with no walking breaks.
    I will run an 8k twice. x/2

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 5/29

You vs Year Challenge:
    44k done/ 956k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Mon-- rest day (donating blood) WALKED GUNNER
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Fri-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner + gym
  • zcb94
    Options
    Saturday Success: um...well... I still haven't lost my mind yet. I guess that's good enough for now.
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO~~~ I made a big healthy salad with chickpeas, avocado, sunflower seeds, tahini, lemon juice, carrot, celery, cucumber, tomato for supper. It has a fair number of calories, I like all the components of the recipe, it is quite healthy and filling, the photo was lovely and so was my rendition....BUT, I didn't really like it, though I did eat some of it. Now what do I do with the rest of it??? I KNOW DH won't like it. I guess the moral of this story is that these things don't always work out! Joke is definitely on me as I usually can figure out if I will like something by reading a recipe. I am filled up, have no more calories, or few to spare, but want something I LIKE to eat. So the good news is I was under calorie limit but definitely not happily so. I rather doubt that made the protein count.

@Zoe Thanks for all the info on the TENS. I am really thinking this old body would probably like that.

Barb
  • zcb94
    Options
    73/40 grams protein eaten.