Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've said it before and I will surely need to say it again...you need non-clergy psychological help from a doctor capable of prescribing medication.

You cannot fix this on your own.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    Exactly. That's why I opted for counting points for everything and obsessing over numbers because it allows me to eat anything. However, that also means I'm blowing through all my points in the morning if I decide on avocado toast with eggs or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with milk. I never said I want to freely eat bread and fat. I just want to eat t it. PERIOD. I can't on Simply Filling. I'd eat up my entire weekly allowance on one sandwich. Even counting points, I have to give up a lot of my favorite foods. I don't eat avocados. I don't eat nuts. I don't drink milk. I've given up my favorite dessert yogurt. I gave up the bread I really like. I even stopped eating sweet potatoes because they went up in points.

Not true. My recollection of SFT is that you still get your weekly points, and you can use those (and any activity points) on foods that aren't on the list of allowed foods.
    Yes, that's true (that you can use points to eat bread and extra fats). I don't eat much bread but I have some high-fiber tortillas that are 50 calories and 1 point. When I did a SF-like plan, avocado was free (might've changed), eggs were free, nuts and milk were not but skim was cheap.

49 points does go fast if you're not thrifty with it, though. But every diet has some deprivation, if not in items than in portions. You have to realize it's temporary. Or you might find you don't mind light bread or sandwiches in romaine and just keep doing it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Exactly. That's why I opted for counting points for everything and obsessing over numbers because it allows me to eat anything. However, that also means I'm blowing through all my points in the morning if I decide on avocado toast with eggs or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with milk. I never said I want to freely eat bread and fat. I just want to eat t it. PERIOD. I can't on Simply Filling. I'd eat up my entire weekly allowance on one sandwich. Even counting points, I have to give up a lot of my favorite foods. I don't eat avocados. I don't eat nuts. I don't drink milk. I've given up my favorite dessert yogurt. I gave up the bread I really like. I even stopped eating sweet potatoes because they went up in points.

Not true. My recollection of SFT is that you still get your weekly points, and you can use those (and any activity points) on foods that aren't on the list of allowed foods.
    Yes, that's true (that you can use points to eat bread and extra fats). I don't eat much bread but I have some high-fiber tortillas that are 50 calories and 1 point. When I did a SF-like plan, avocado was free (might've changed), eggs were free, nuts and milk were not but skim was cheap.

49 points does go fast if you're not thrifty with it, though. But every diet has some deprivation, if not in items than in portions. You have to realize it's temporary. Or you might find you don't mind light bread or sandwiches in romaine and just keep doing it.

Right. The OP wouldn't be able to have as much avocado and peanut butter as she wants (but who can?) but she wouldn't have to eliminate those things. It's that all or nothing thinking again.....
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    I'd go nuts using a scale.

See and I'm the opposite, I'd go nuts without my scale. I love weighing my food and knowing exactly how much of something I'm eating.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    I'd go nuts using a scale.

I find that using a scale gives me more flexibility with my portion sizes. Not everything has to be an exact measurement and it's easier to figure it out when logging. Bonus points for not having a sink full of measuring cups & spoons at the end of the day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ftsolk, I can see the difficulty of being in control of a diet when you give away so much control of your life.
    Here's what I suggest, only and all. Learn what a deck of cards looks like. That's a serving. Once you can eyeball a serving size, you can wing it on proteins and vegetables, and starches.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    She's fine. There isn't actually a problem here in any practical sense of the word. Only for the posters who think posting advice would be helpful in any way. She's smart, she's eloquent, she can play the crowd, she keeps it going, she can wiggle out of anything with style - in other words, she has good life skills or street smarts if you will. She uses them as she likes. One of her threads went on for close to 100 pages and for two weeks straight. She responded to almost every post and never ran out of steam.

I wish I could like this post. Sadly, 'tis true.
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You can't let food control your life. I would actually suggest breaking away from MFP if it's causing that obsession. Just eat mindfully, healthy, and common sense portions. Listen to you bodies cues when you're hungry

This^^ Absolutely this!

MFP or any type of weighing and measuring of food is just a tool. Different tools work for different people. Live the life you want to live. The life that makes you happy. Just slightly under eat while doing it until you get to goal. Then continue that same life only don't overeat.

I've tried that before.I gained weight in the process.

Clearly you were still overeating.

#NotRocketScience

Hence the decision that I need to drive myself crazy by weighing and measuring everything I eat because it's the only way to keep myself from overeating.

I do have a meager 35 point allowance of weekly points. A cup of whole milk is 7 points (I stopped drinking milk. I love it, but I don't drink it anymore because it's too high in points, and I dislike fat-free milk). A teaspoon of coconut oil is 2 (a tablespoon is 7). A peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a full serving of PB is 12 to 15 points depending on the bread I use. The avocado toast I had today (2 slices of toast with half an avocado and an egg cooked in a bit of coconut oil) was around 16 to 20 points. Plus, I can't guarantee that I'll have access to "free" foods when eating outside of the house unless I bring my own food- which I am trying to get away from.

There are "FitPoints" now (instead of Activity Points), but they don't recommend you eat those, so Simply Filling is more restrictive than it was before.

I cannot afford medical treatment at this time, so unless you are willing to pay for it, stop suggesting that. It's not an option. I did chat with someone at the NEDA website. She told me to take the online screening that told me I wasn't at risk for disordered eating.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You can't let food control your life. I would actually suggest breaking away from MFP if it's causing that obsession. Just eat mindfully, healthy, and common sense portions. Listen to you bodies cues when you're hungry

This^^ Absolutely this!

MFP or any type of weighing and measuring of food is just a tool. Different tools work for different people. Live the life you want to live. The life that makes you happy. Just slightly under eat while doing it until you get to goal. Then continue that same life only don't overeat.

I've tried that before.I gained weight in the process.

Clearly you were still overeating.

#NotRocketScience

Hence the decision that I need to drive myself crazy by weighing and measuring everything I eat because it's the only way to keep myself from overeating.

I do have a meager 35 point allowance of weekly points. A cup of whole milk is 7 points (I stopped drinking milk. I love it, but I don't drink it anymore because it's too high in points, and I dislike fat-free milk). A teaspoon of coconut oil is 2 (a tablespoon is 7). A peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a full serving of PB is 12 to 15 points depending on the bread I use. The avocado toast I had today (2 slices of toast with half an avocado and an egg cooked in a bit of coconut oil) was around 16 to 20 points. Plus, I can't guarantee that I'll have access to "free" foods when eating outside of the house unless I bring my own food- which I am trying to get away from.

There are "FitPoints" now (instead of Activity Points), but they don't recommend you eat those, so Simply Filling is more restrictive than it was before.

I cannot afford medical treatment at this time, so unless you are willing to pay for it, stop suggesting that. It's not an option. I did chat with someone at the NEDA website. She told me to take the online screening that told me I wasn't at risk for disordered eating.

You chose a weight loss plan that creates a calorie deficit through assigning certain foods a point value and then limiting the number of points. If you want a different way to create a calorie deficit, those are available -- ways of eating that would allow you to have milk or avocado more regularly.

Weight Watchers isn't something that *happened* to you. You chose it.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the advice given then quit because you've basically dismissed EVERYTHING....stop whining buttercup and suck it up like a big girl.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I just focus on eating mostly whole, minimally processed ingredients at home (whole grains, vegetables, fruit, dairy, healthy fats) while avoiding added sugar and obvious junk food, then maybe that'll be a good start. Then, out of the house, I can try incorporating little tricks that I know I should try following: filling up the plate once unless it's fruits/veggies, skipping sweets unless it's actually a special occasion or rare-homemade treat (which I'm usually good about doing), and trying to stick to a semi-consistent schedule of eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and maybe 1-2 snacks).

That's what I need. I need a way to eat well most of the time, enjoy time with friends, and NOT obsess over calories or points or any of that.

That sound pretty reasonable. So, yes, do that, consistently.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious OP, is weight loss the only part of your life where there is so much unnecessary stress, excuses for everything, and lack of taking personal responsibility?

I think at this point people are suggesting counselling for reasons other than an eating disorder. This doesn't mean you need to be hospitalized or shell out big money for it. There are plenty of services out there that will charge based on income. You just have to be willing to look for it. If it's not something that you want to do, then just say so. Don't use lack of income as an excuse.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think she's looking for an excuse for failure. And looking for people to co-sign her failure. She's looking for validation that... It's. Just. Too. Hard.

I'm a pretty sympathetic person but people who are looking for excuses instead of solutions both fascinate and annoy me.

My final advice to the OP... instead of countering every piece of good advice you receive... Just give up. Let yourself go. You have that choice as well.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If you can afford WW drop it and seek the couselling over the all or nothing mindset you have and the disturbing thoughts that you are talking about and seek help in managing your lifestyle.

I assume you still want to lose the excess weight so you are going to have to make some sacrifices somewhere we all have had to make choices too.

Food activities that cause YOU stress you have said don't bother others, many of us have traipsed around with scales and pre-packed our own food for occasions, imagine the scenario of those of us with food allergies, Geez if we surrounded ourselves with the same thought processes as you then life would be as miserable as you describe.

The power for change really is in your hands and up to you.

Many others here recognize your postings from the past, I have not come across any of those threads so am not in a position to make a comment but I will say that many, many good people here on MFP have spoken up and it really does appear you have extreme abilities to cherry-pick and deflect the advice most useful.

However you follow through with more internal thoughts about how to again micro-manage your life further thus basically rearranging the deck chairs. These mental processes of yours may give you temporary relief from the mental chaos you feel but it won't last because you are still stuck in the grasp of the faulty thinking. Owning that can be confronting but with time and effort well worth conquering.

Remember your mind (like everyone's) is pretty much a drunk monkey most of the time making a whole lot of racket and getting nowhere positive, it is up to each of us to tame our monkey.

Good luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think if the Beck Diet solution was written differently, I'd like it more. I DO like some of the things I've read in it. I just don't care for her approach. I definitely am less black and white about dieting than I used to be. I can go out for burgers and fries with friends and go right back to eating quinoa and broccoli the next day.

The problem is, I haven't been able to do that every time, and I'm so sick and tired of weighing, measuring and tracking. The idea of eating plain yogurt with fruit as a snack doesn't overwhelm me. I bought chicken sausage, vegetables, and lentils to throw together for lunch on Tuesday when I'm out with friends (I have to pack a lunch for this). I bought frozen seafood. I figure this upcoming week (Monday through Saturday), I'll have 18 meals. 14-16 of those will likely be meals at home OR meals that I'm packing. That means, even if I do have dinner at a friend's house a couple times during the week, at least 75% of my food should be reasonable. And it's not like my friends eat terribly. Tuesday, if I eat at a friend's house for dinner, I know there will be a TON of veggies (my friend will sneak vegetables in EVERYTHING- shredded carrots mixed in ground beef, butternut squash puree in chili). The worst thing about eating there is that her husband is on a low-carb diet, so everything is full fat, but that's what I prefer anyway. (And it means that things like pasta and rice are kept on the side, so I can avoid the white rice that she eats).

Even if I do decide to have pizza when I babysit Saturday night (assuming they decide to order it), that's still in my 2-4 potential meals out of the house this week (and I'll probably throw some veggies on the side to make it a LITTLE better if I don't bring my own dinner (if I end up out of the house for breakfast or lunch, I'm less worried because lunch at my friend's houses usually involves me raiding their refrigerator and throwing something together).

I wonder if I just focus on eating mostly whole, minimally processed ingredients at home (whole grains, vegetables, fruit, dairy, healthy fats) while avoiding added sugar and obvious junk food, then maybe that'll be a good start. Then, out of the house, I can try incorporating little tricks that I know I should try following: filling up the plate once unless it's fruits/veggies, skipping sweets unless it's actually a special occasion or rare-homemade treat (which I'm usually good about doing), and trying to stick to a semi-consistent schedule of eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and maybe 1-2 snacks).

That's what I need. I need a way to eat well most of the time, enjoy time with friends, and NOT obsess over calories or points or any of that.

Again, have you tried WW Simply Filling plan?

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=65271&sc=3002

Yes, I have. It's just not flexible enough for me. I can't have a sandwich for a quick meal (I can't eat most light breads, and I don't want to waste my weeklies on bread when I might need them to go out). I do try to eat more power foods, but I need more flexibility than what Simply Filling allows. (I also need to eat more fat. Two teaspoons of olive oil just won't cut it).
    I don't know of any diet plans that allow you to fairly freely eat bread and fats and also not track. It seems like one of those has got to be very limited, or you have to count everything to keep your portions very small. Good luck!

Actually I did think of a diet plan where you can eat whatever you want without (much) logging. There are two respected every other day, modified fast plans. You eat to satisfaction (ad libitum) on every other day and 500 calories on every other day. It takes a lot of discipline at first and I don't think it'll appeal to the OP but maybe someone else reading who's in a similar boat. Look for books by Varady or Johnson for more info. Or try 5:2 dieting or an 18:6 regimen.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think you should just give up. Being fat is way easier.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    I joined WW when I was employed, and I'm currently on a 2 month free pass for losing 10 pounds in October and November. That's the only reason I am still on WW. Because I'm getting free meetings now.

I'm just feeling burnt out from measuring and tracking.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    I think if the Beck Diet solution was written differently, I'd like it more. I DO like some of the things I've read in it. I just don't care for her approach. I definitely am less black and white about dieting than I used to be. I can go out for burgers and fries with friends and go right back to eating quinoa and broccoli the next day.

The problem is, I haven't been able to do that every time, and I'm so sick and tired of weighing, measuring and tracking. The idea of eating plain yogurt with fruit as a snack doesn't overwhelm me. I bought chicken sausage, vegetables, and lentils to throw together for lunch on Tuesday when I'm out with friends (I have to pack a lunch for this). I bought frozen seafood. I figure this upcoming week (Monday through Saturday), I'll have 18 meals. 14-16 of those will likely be meals at home OR meals that I'm packing. That means, even if I do have dinner at a friend's house a couple times during the week, at least 75% of my food should be reasonable. And it's not like my friends eat terribly. Tuesday, if I eat at a friend's house for dinner, I know there will be a TON of veggies (my friend will sneak vegetables in EVERYTHING- shredded carrots mixed in ground beef, butternut squash puree in chili). The worst thing about eating there is that her husband is on a low-carb diet, so everything is full fat, but that's what I prefer anyway. (And it means that things like pasta and rice are kept on the side, so I can avoid the white rice that she eats).

Even if I do decide to have pizza when I babysit Saturday night (assuming they decide to order it), that's still in my 2-4 potential meals out of the house this week (and I'll probably throw some veggies on the side to make it a LITTLE better if I don't bring my own dinner (if I end up out of the house for breakfast or lunch, I'm less worried because lunch at my friend's houses usually involves me raiding their refrigerator and throwing something together).

Again, have you tried WW Simply Filling plan?

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=65271&sc=3002

Yes, I have. It's just not flexible enough for me. I can't have a sandwich for a quick meal (I can't eat most light breads, and I don't want to waste my weeklies on bread when I might need them to go out). I do try to eat more power foods, but I need more flexibility than what Simply Filling allows. (I also need to eat more fat. Two teaspoons of olive oil just won't cut it).
    I don't know of any diet plans that allow you to fairly freely eat bread and fats and also not track. It seems like one of those has got to be very limited, or you have to count everything to keep your portions very small. Good luck!

Actually I did think of a diet plan where you can eat whatever you want without (much) logging. There are two respected every other day, modified fast plans. You eat to satisfaction (ad libitum) on every other day and 500 calories on every other day. It takes a lot of discipline at first and I don't think it'll appeal to the OP but maybe someone else reading who's in a similar boat. Look for books by Varady or Johnson for more info. Or try 5:2 dieting or an 18:6 regimen.

I am intrigued by IF (probably leaning more towards 14/10. My one concern is my schedule is so varied that if I have an eating window between 11am and 9pm, there will be days where I'm not eating anything until after 2 or 3pm. Then, I tend to overeat when I do eat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Brian Wansink's "Mindless Eating" -- I am going to look into this. What has helped me is telling myself that I need to make a lifestyle change going forward and to write about my feelings when I feel like over indulging. It's helped but I need to re-enforce that behavior.

Hang in there!