Obsessive/Unhealthy Dieting Relationship

Options

Replies

• Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think this site is helping you. I agree with the posters above. It is time to seek professional help. Best of luck to you!
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    I am sure that there is a doctor or a counselor in your state who could help you for free. Drop into your local hospital and ask around. Also, I am not sure what state you live in but you could probably sign up for health care insurance under the affordable health care act. Ask the folks at your local hospital to help you. I also recommend overeaters anonymous.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    She's fine. There isn't actually a problem here in any practical sense of the word. Only for the posters who think posting advice would be helpful in any way. She's smart, she's eloquent, she can play the crowd, she keeps it going, she can wiggle out of anything with style - in other words, she has good life skills or street smarts if you will. She uses them as she likes. One of her threads went on for close to 100 pages and for two weeks straight. She responded to almost every post and never ran out of steam.

I wish I could like this post. Sadly, 'tis true.

I'll agree that it is attention-seeking and manipulative behavior. She has posted a thread on SparkPeople about the exact same topic. Anybody know if this is also cross-posted on Weight Watchers?

I think that you are totally wrong about the life skills though. This is a bright person who somehow can't finish college, hold a job, live independently or figure out how to eat from one week to the next. She also can't figure out exercise, relationships, how to get herself to the gym or how to deal with winter in New Jersey when it happens each year. The list goes on ad infinitum. She is a victim of everything that happens to her. This is not just immaturity or the worst face of the Millennial Generation--it is mental illness or a brain chemistry imbalance of some sort.

We do her no favors by trying to give suggestions. She has heard them all before in the many years that she has been posting on diet sites.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I joined WW when I was employed, and I'm currently on a 2 month free pass for losing 10 pounds in October and November. That's the only reason I am still on WW. Because I'm getting free meetings now.

I'm just feeling burnt out from measuring and tracking.

Since you're unemployed, don't you qualify for a state insurance program? I see you're in New Jersey, which probably isn't too different from my state of Massachusetts. I have a friend with Mass Health who gets free therapy.

Maybe someone from NJ can advise you better.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I've tried OA many times. I don't see the point. Granted, I only tried the online meetings because they seemed less intimidating. You aren't allowed to use full sentences (at least in the meetings I've been to), and there's never any feedback given. I feel like it's a bunch of robots echoing each other: "tyfs" "relates" "hugs". I'll give it another go around though...

Try the in-person OA meetings. My experience at (mostly other types of)12 step meetings is that there are nice supportive interactions after the formal meeting, during which cross-talk is indeed not allowed, for a reason.

https://www.oa.org/membersgroups/find-a-meeting/
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Folks, as frustrating as it is to feel as if your goodwill is being taken advantage of, I really think that talking about someone as if she is not here is mean. She could be making things up for attention or she could be really hurting. Suggesting that she get medical help is appropriate. But the speculation is getting unkind.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    Disengaging from the computer and going out into the real world for help is the answer here. There is help available, you just have to be willing to stop posting on this site and go out and ask for it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Disengaging from the computer and going out into the real world for help is the answer here. There is help available, you just have to be willing to stop posting on this site and go out and ask for it.

Unfortunately, that willingness is completely lacking. This poster has been making threads like this for literally years. Nothing ever changes.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Options
    One more thing, as hard as it may be for folks, people need to place her on ignore and stop responding to her. This encourages unhealthy attention seeking and discourages her from getting in person help from a qualified professional. Put her on ignore and say a prayer...
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure how stretching will help, but I'll try stretching more. I can't get into the meditation aspect of yoga because that aspect of taking a yoga class conflicts with my religious beliefs.

Because you mentioned bible study, I'm assuming you're Christian. Are you familiar with Christian Devotional Meditation/contemplative prayer?

I've been practicing yoga for 20 years, and don't see a conflict between Christianity and the meditation that is sometimes found in some forms of yoga. Most yoga simply emphasizes mindfulness, which you are already trying to practice in other areas of your life. If you find a yoga routine you like that asks you to meditate at the end, simply pray.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    so now people can't do yoga because they're Christian? ?
    I just cant..... even deal with this thread anymore. It is literally making me anxious! !
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I just cant..... even deal with this thread anymore. It is literally making me anxious! !

I've never been to a yoga class that emphasized or even mentioned meditation. I'm an atheist so I don't actually care at all, but I'd love to know why this kind of class (every single one I've ever tried out) is morally objectionable. We had to sit still and be quiet at the end, but that hardly constitutes meditation does it? I thought we were just simmering down from some intense physical stress...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious OP, is weight loss the only part of your life where there is so much unnecessary stress, excuses for everything, and lack of taking personal responsibility?

I think at this point people are suggesting counselling for reasons other than an eating disorder. This doesn't mean you need to be hospitalized or shell out big money for it. There are plenty of services out there that will charge based on income. You just have to be willing to look for it. If it's not something that you want to do, then just say so. Don't use lack of income as an excuse.

This !

There are many places that offer free or sliding scale mental health help. The op may have to travel out of town or take a long car ride to get to one, but they do exist. But here's the catch..... The person would actually have to WANT the help. They would have to be ready to stop all the excuses and whining and take responsibility for their mental health care. They would have to WANT it. Some people just like to whine and complain, others want results.

Op - post the name of the county you live in and the state and I bet we can have a free or sliding scale mental health center within a reasonable distance. Since you stated that you are not working, it shouldn't matter how far it is anyway. Surely you can buy a bus ticket ?

Here's the thing, if you would've searched for a free or sliding scale mental health center when it was first suggested a long long long long time ago, you would right now already be in treatment and moving forward. But instead you came up with more and more excuses and did not so your in the same place you where when you first started posting these whiny threads.

So do yourself a favor And actually get the help. If you want a better life, you have to work for it. Nobody is going to hand you anything. Nobody has a magic wand to change you. You gotta want it and you gotta work for it.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

I've never heard of Christians or Catholics ( both would have bible study like the op mentioned ) not being allowed to practice yoga. This thread is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this in my 38 yrs of being a Catholic. So I'm guessing it is just an excuse. Shocking .
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I cannot afford medical treatment at this time, so unless you are willing to pay for it, stop suggesting that. It's not an option.

YOU asked for help. I gave you a suggestion. And I'll keep suggesting it because it's the only viable answer I can see for you. You don't want to do this, you don't want to that. EVERY SINGLE suggestion that has been given to you by the kind-hearted community here on MFP has been shot down by you. So where does that leave you? Clearly you don't want our help, so who CAN help you? A PROFESSIONAL. Take out a loan. Borrow money from a family member. Get a job. I don't know and I don't care, that's your issue, not mine. I have my own life and family to worry about. But you CAN see someone. You just DON'T WANT TO, just like you don't want to listen to anything anyone else has to suggest.

SO SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP.

• kshama2001
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

I've never heard of Christians or Catholics ( both would have bible study like the op mentioned ) not being allowed to practice yoga. This thread is the first time anyone has ever mentioned this in my 38 yrs of being a Catholic. So I'm guessing it is just an excuse. Shocking .

Pretty sure OP isn't Catholic.

Conservative Christianity (Pentecostal, Evangelical, Charismatic) isn't keen on yoga.

https://www.probe.org/yoga-and-christianity-are-they-compatible/

(above link contains a long article, but it comprehensively explains the Christian reservations about yoga)

Yes, I'm familiar with that argument, which I think is silly, as the reasons yogis in India practiced yoga 3,000 plus years ago are not the same as the vast majority of us today. I utterly reject the idea that practicing yoga will imperil a Christian's soul. I will acknowledge if someone's belief system includes taking everything in the bible literally, then the origins of yoga could indeed pose a conflict.

However, that does not address the OP's objection, which was to possibly encountering meditation in yoga.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

I raised my children in a conservative evangelical church. My adult daughter was concerned about the spiritual aspects. I encouraged her to try it out, ignoring the mantra part. She loves yoga now.

• zoeysasha37
    Options

Pretty sure OP isn't Catholic.

Conservative Christianity (Pentecostal, Evangelical, Charismatic) isn't keen on yoga.

https://www.probe.org/yoga-and-christianity-are-they-compatible/

(above link contains a long article, but it comprehensively explains the Christian reservations about yoga)

Oh wow ! My apologies . I wasn't aware ( I'm Catholic so didn't know !)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I joined WW when I was employed, and I'm currently on a 2 month free pass for losing 10 pounds in October and November. That's the only reason I am still on WW. Because I'm getting free meetings now.

I'm just feeling burnt out from measuring and tracking.

Since you're unemployed, don't you qualify for a state insurance program? I see you're in New Jersey, which probably isn't too different from my state of Massachusetts. I have a friend with Mass Health who gets free therapy.

Maybe someone from NJ can advise you better.

Lots of therapists are reluctant to work with narcissistic personality disorder if that is what is going on.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Christians or Catholics

Oh, man... ;)

This thread delivers. I've been checking it out all day, strangely compelled to keep looking.

Hats off to you guys offering all this sincere advice, just like Sisyphus with his rock.
    That's all, carry on.