Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• CosmoTI
    CosmoTI Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Myles_104 wrote: »
    I'll join the #lentchallenge
    I'm not Catholic but Lent is the one thing I do every year. This year I'm going to be abstaining from chips and chocolate bars, and adding in no complaining.

@MelissaPhippsFeagins, I understand your point of view (that it is between God and you) I do let people know so that they don't unintentionally sabotage (like my husband bringing home chips from the store, or grabbing me a chocolate bar when getting gas).

Eh, my husband is not responsible for my abstinence from item X. He is Protestant through and through and only observes Lent as far I won't serve meat in my home on Fridays until Easter. I don't even always tell him what I am doing, but he usually figures it out. Part of the sacrifice is that I may encounter the item x in my daily life and be tempted by it.
    And, I have had people (my husband's birth mother included) offer me the thing I am abstaining from to try and trip me up if they knew what it was. It's interesting how some people behave in the face of my trying to practice self control.

Last year I gave up chocolate. My birthday is always during Lent. Three friends and I went to a fancy dessert bar for MY birthday and every single dessert there had chocolate in it. None of those friends practice Lent and went ahead and ordered and not only were disappointed when I only had tea, but actually spent a good deal of time trying to talk me into it.

Good for you, sticking with it. I totally feel the same way. If it's not a sacrifice, then it's not a worthy offering. I promise that if you look at my diary on Thursday, item x will be conspicuously absent. And it won't take my family long to figure it out.

I feel completely the same way. If it's not something you will actually miss then not a sacrifice so what's the point? I personally give up crisps & chocolate as I will usually have them on a regular basis. Particularly on our Friday night girls night in. I will miss this incredibly, yet am never tempted to give in during lent as I know the reason I am doing it. I also aim to do something positive each day. (This year I may also throw in trying to not punch my work colleague when he comes back from 3 months off after admitting to spying on us.... that is going to be a hard one to stick to though...but I will try to be a good Christian about it!!)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    CosmoTI wrote: »
    I'm not Catholic but Lent is the one thing I do every year. This year I'm going to be abstaining from chips and chocolate bars, and adding in no complaining.

@MelissaPhippsFeagins, I understand your point of view (that it is between God and you) I do let people know so that they don't unintentionally sabotage (like my husband bringing home chips from the store, or grabbing me a chocolate bar when getting gas).

Eh, my husband is not responsible for my abstinence from item X. He is Protestant through and through and only observes Lent as far I won't serve meat in my home on Fridays until Easter. I don't even always tell him what I am doing, but he usually figures it out. Part of the sacrifice is that I may encounter the item x in my daily life and be tempted by it.
    And, I have had people (my husband's birth mother included) offer me the thing I am abstaining from to try and trip me up if they knew what it was. It's interesting how some people behave in the face of my trying to practice self control.

Last year I gave up chocolate. My birthday is always during Lent. Three friends and I went to a fancy dessert bar for MY birthday and every single dessert there had chocolate in it. None of those friends practice Lent and went ahead and ordered and not only were disappointed when I only had tea, but actually spent a good deal of time trying to talk me into it.

Good for you, sticking with it. I totally feel the same way. If it's not a sacrifice, then it's not a worthy offering. I promise that if you look at my diary on Thursday, item x will be conspicuously absent. And it won't take my family long to figure it out.

I feel completely the same way. If it's not something you will actually miss then not a sacrifice so what's the point? I personally give up crisps & chocolate as I will usually have them on a regular basis. Particularly on our Friday night girls night in. I will miss this incredibly, yet am never tempted to give in during lent as I know the reason I am doing it. I also aim to do something positive each day. (This year I may also throw in trying to not punch my work colleague when he comes back from 3 months off after admitting to spying on us.... that is going to be a hard one to stick to though...but I will try to be a good Christian about it!!)

Good luck with that one!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Tomorrow starts our lent challenge! I have aligned on vegan and 1 hour of exercise a day.

What are we calling this?

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

I have decided on 45-1 hour of exercise a day
    Not Buying Anymore Processed Junk Food (with the exception of things like yogurt)
    No Ice Cream

Yay! 2 in. Who else is joining us...

I am practicing Lent, but I won't be hashtagging it. I don't mind if the rest of you do, but that would feel like sacrilege to me. I also don't make a practice of telling people what I am abstaining from, because I was taught early on that it's between God and me.

I'll be here, cheering you all on and hoping that you benefit from Lent the way I know I will because I always do.

Today is Shrove Tuesday - whatever it is, use it up or eat it up and get it out of the way. God bless us, everyone.

Mostly the same here, although I do usually share what I am abstaining from with friends and family.
    What feels kind of funny to me is giving up something for Lent that is for other benefit. Like when I give up chocolate, for example, you better believe I have having chocolate everything Easter day! Because I am giving it up as a sacrifice for God, not just because I should anyway and Lent is a good excuse. When I give something up, it is something I cannot wait to get back to after the Lent period is over and celebrate having it on Easter day!

Giving up ice cream/junk food is a big one for me considering some of my coworkers still think I eat ice cream for breakfast (I don't).

I plan on eating ice cream/Easter Candy at some point after Lent depending if I can get any good ones on clearance.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Oh, no!! He's coming back?! I am sorry and will pray for restraint for you.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

I remember that. I can't believe he is allowed to come back!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I'll join y'all for Lent. I'm not going to give anything up. With my personality, that is a recipe for disaster.
    I'm planning to meet my steps goal every day, in addition to my running steps. I don't usually get very many non-running steps in a day.

Yay! Good plan.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    I am not religious and I am not exactly timing it with Lent as I started last week. I'm not saying negative things about situations or people.

I think this is a lovely goal. I don't believe I could achieve it....
  • Oberon21
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    FREE BURRITOS FROM CHIPOTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://time.com/4212129/chipotle-closed-free-burrito-raincheck/

Awesome. Did you try it?

Yep! I got my text message for the link to enter my information for my text coupon. I should have it in a day or 2! I LOVE FREE FOOD!!!

I never use coupons, just not organized enough for that. But I never followed the link....was it for anyone?

It was, but it was a limited time offer, so it's over now. Sorry, POF.

No problem. I would probably never have used it.
  • Oberon21
    Options

That is just mean. But yea, people do that...
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Tomorrow starts our lent challenge! I have aligned on vegan and 1 hour of exercise a day.

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

Not Buying Anymore Processed Junk Food (with the exception of things like yogurt)
    No Ice Cream

I am practicing Lent, but I won't be hashtagging it. I don't mind if the rest of you do, but that would feel like sacrilege to me. I also don't make a practice of telling people what I am abstaining from, because I was taught early on that it's between God and me.

I'll be here, cheering you all on and hoping that you benefit from Lent the way I know I will because I always do.

Today is Shrove Tuesday - whatever it is, use it up or eat it up and get it out of the way. God bless us, everyone.

Oh if it's sacrilege should I not do it? I haven't paid any attention to the rules in so long I have no idea. If it's offensive I can just ditch it (the hash tag not the challenge).

Sacrilege is a VERY personal concept, Patricia. I don't mind the rest of you doing it as so many of you have stated that you are not really religious. I honestly will not be offended by the use of the hashtag, I promise. #AshWednesday is a thing with my daughter and her friends. They post selfies if their ashes with it. For me, that feels wrong. Please don't ditch the hashtag for my sake. :)

Ok as long as I am not offending you!
  • Oberon21
    Options

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

No Ice Cream

I'm continuing on with my #soberdays and #nominicadburyeggs

39 #soberdays
    13 days #nocadburyminieggs

I don't think we are on day 13 for candy. I need to check. Yes, I am just adding on!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Yesterday at work I had a lot of compliments.

A customer complimented me on my new hairstyle

I had my sister cut my hair like Lucy Hale's again. The only difference being I have bangs.

th?id=OIP.M2d4cc818ed143d82f841590815fa6a6bo1&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

A coworker I used to work with asked me how I lost my weight, & he said it didn't take me long to lose the weight.

An older male customer said I should be on TV since I have the face for TV & a voice suit for TV. I'll take that compliment any day over the customer who said I looked like the sister in Dirty Dancing (the one who sang off key). it's funny since losing weight how many customers have mentioned that I look like particular celebrities. I've gotten Pauley Perrette, Zooey Deschanel, Sandra Bullock, & Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club.

I think facially I look more like Jennifer Connelly, Lilly Collins (who also looks a lot like Jennifer Connelly), & Clara Mamet.

I would take any of these people! Kudos!
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2016
    Options

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

No Ice Cream

39 #soberdays

I don't think we are on day 13 for candy. I need to check. Yes, I am just adding on!

I always forget what the candy day is.

It could start from Feb 1. Then I would have a reference point. So, 8 days #nocadburyminieggs (Although, technically I haven't had any since last Easter season :D )
  • Oberon21
    Options

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

No Ice Cream

39 #soberdays

I always forget what the candy day is.

It could start from Feb 1. Then I would have a reference point. So, 8 days #nocadburyminieggs (Although, technically I haven't had any since last Easter season :D )

I just keep checking what I did yesterday. I think it's 11 days.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    So a public service announcement. For future reference if you get to the airport and have left your drivers license in another coat and don't have it at the airport you can actually show other ID such as a credit card, insurance card, work ID and with a 'modified pat down' they will let you fly. Who knew?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

No Ice Cream

I'm doing candy for lent but adding a few extras on the side.

-no ice cream
    -no cookies other than the snackwells I have left at home
    -no cake other than on my dad's bday (Feb 24)
    -no donuts or junk snacks.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options

#40daychallenge
    # lentchallenge

Any suggestions?

#lentchallenge!

No Ice Cream

Mostly the same here, although I do usually share what I am abstaining from with friends and family.
    What feels kind of funny to me is giving up something for Lent that is for other benefit. Like when I give up chocolate, for example, you better believe I have having chocolate everything Easter day! Because I am giving it up as a sacrifice for God, not just because I should anyway and Lent is a good excuse. When I give something up, it is something I cannot wait to get back to after the Lent period is over and celebrate having it on Easter day!

This is me too! lol
  • KNewer88
    KNewer88 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it in a while... but when I got severe, I'm going to kill someone I need chocolate, cravings and no candy, I'd break into the cake frosting. :|
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    KNewer88 wrote: »
    I haven't done it in a while... but when I got severe, I'm going to kill someone I need chocolate, cravings and no candy, I'd break into the cake frosting. :|

B-6?!?