Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    'You need to eat at least 2000 calories to lose weight. If you eat less than that you'll go into starvation mode and gain weight.' This coming from two women... one who was at least 60lbs overweight, the other probably 90-100lbs overweight. To me, someone who has lost 70lbs successfully. Yup. Makes me sad. :/
  • cyapor55112016
    cyapor55112016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't get married !
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    The only things that bother me is when people say why would you eat so many carbs even though I told them I'm not on a low carb diet. Ive heard low carb is healthy but personally I just can't give up certain foods like that the rest of my life but moderating carbs I am more likely to do. I also don't like being told to cut out pop,cookies and fast food from my diet. ObviosIy I understand its not healthy,but I also don't want to deprive myself or not enjoy having cookies or pizza with my sister one day just cuz they are bad for me or I'm "on a diet" and when my brother tells me what I'm eating won't help me lose weight. I know what's healthy and what's unhealthy for the most part. But still I believe if you have a balance of healthy and unhealthy foods each day it will balance out in your body. I've seen super skinny people eat a buttload of pizza or drink a lot of pop and still stay skinny and healthy all the time
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Nage3000 no they do not. fat makes you fat. the fat you eat is the fat you wear. do the research mate!

Lol. No. Fat doesn't make you fat, a calorie surplus does!

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    'just be happy and think happy thoughts'

Yeah thanks for that, never thought about that before...
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think the most annoying thing is when people tell me to try some fad diet or to cut out one food group completely. I can't tell you how many co-workers I have who are only eating 500 calories a day on the MediFast diet, or who aren't eating any carbs at all . . . it drives me nuts.
  • Mmarst
    Mmarst Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it was advice, exactly, but I am a big guy (started at 400 pounds), but despite that, am a relatively active guy. Play basketball, walk at a fairly quick pace and for long distances, etc. Well, doing longer workout, sometimes my calorie burns seem higher than what you would imagine, and I had this guy accusing me on all my updates and profile of faking my burn numbers and faking workout to seem "cool," and that I should buy a heart rate monitor to log an accurate burn. Thing was, I had one. Thanks for nothing, jerk!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hate all unsolicited advice, but anything from you mom rubs me particularly raw since she's frequently guilty and I've only known her to be obese or overweight my whole life. I've heard about the benefits of cleanses, low carb, cutting soda, and endless emails of recipes containing low fat cheese and Splenda. (Not usually at the same time.)

I just don't know how anyone could want to subsist on Egg Beaters and fat free Redi Whip. Most of the food is also low in salt and high in fiber, so I might as well be eating cardboard from a taste standpoint. I'm thinking her all-or-nothing approach has unfortunately led to a lot of yo-yoing. I just try to keep my mouth shut and continue to eat my carefully weighed regular food, getting in as much exercise as I can.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    valente347 wrote: »
    I hate all unsolicited advice, but anything from you mom rubs me particularly raw since she's frequently guilty and I've only known her to be obese or overweight my whole life. I've heard about the benefits of cleanses, low carb, cutting soda, and endless emails of recipes containing low fat cheese and Splenda. (Not usually at the same time.)

I just don't know how anyone could want to subsist on Egg Beaters and fat free Redi Whip. Most of the food is also low in salt and high in fiber, so I might as well be eating cardboard from a taste standpoint. I'm thinking her all-or-nothing approach has unfortunately led to a lot of yo-yoing. I just try to keep my mouth shut and continue to eat my carefully weighed regular food, getting in as much exercise as I can.

Are we related by any chance? Sounds like my mother. Just these last few weeks she is started to say she is eating too little and thus gaining weight *rolls eyes*
  • lululapagaille
    lululapagaille Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I saw this and not much to contribute, but I would like to know who the "he" is.. Just a guy friend? It seems something may be there that you take to heart and that his guy friend is making you think a a lot about things that really may not matter in the scheme of things..

Most people either do not know or do not care and I see this as wanted comments. I don't think in your case it up to debate, not warranting a heated conversation that needs to move in a direction other than to say, "ok, I see your point of view".

Why try to explain anything to anyone other than yourself about why and what you are doing.

And if you gained it back, you know you can loose it, and if you don't want to gain it all, just don't eat it and make choices you know that will not end up on waistline.. This is not rocket science even to the guy friend who is fit and in shape.. he knows what is really going on, he is trying jerk some kind of chain for some reason..

Perfect example

That's what I thought too :D
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    alyjb1121 wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Anyone pushing a weight loss gimmick. If you have an acquaintance selling herbalife or something, it seems to be some kind of crime if you're fat and won't buy into it.

or if you are losing weight already and won't buy into it so they can use your success to further promote themselves/their "business". Ugh, no.

So true!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer once, who was very, very expensive (just an aside; it still hurts to think of the money I wasted). I had lost 96 lbs on my own through exercise and eating healthier and smaller portions. I hired him after I got stuck at 142 lbs for a couple of months (I wanted to lose another 20, I'm 5'3"). I trusted him and didn't know a ton about food at that point. Well, he told me I had stored up carbs from eating them for my whole life. He cut out my carbs completely. He worked me like crazy, and all I ate was the supplements he sold me and protein. After 2 months I lost zero weight, was miserable, ended up injured, stopped working out, and eventually stopped eating healthy altogether. I eventually gained back all the weight I had lost.

At this point, I'm now down almost 50 lbs again, done on my own by eating better, eating less, and moving more. No more trainers. No advice... from ANYONE.

I also refrain from giving advice. When people ask me how I've lost the weight, I respond only with the above... "eating better, eating less, and moving more". They always hate the answer, as it entails actual effort. People in general hate putting out effort.
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't get married !

I don't understand, this seems like sage advice to me! :wink: :blush:
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My FIL told me it was because we eat later then 6:30 at night and it all turns straight into fat. The fact that most nights we don't get home from work until around that time seems to have passed him by. Maybe we should cook our evening meal and eat it whilst driving home from the office each night...
    The 'carb' thing too. I'm so sick of hearing about how it's carbs that make you fat. One of my colleagues has been on a no carb 'diet' for a year now, she's lost a stone in that time. I heard her telling another colleague who's on Slimming World that the reason she only lost 0.5lb last week was because she ate potatoes twice during the week and she needs to give up the carbs. Just for comparison, i've been using MFP since Jan 4th, i've lost a stone in that time, and I haven't given up anything. Luckily the colleague she was preaching to came to me and asked me how i've managed to lose weight, so I gave her the MFP website address and told her to read up.
  • smantha32
    Options
    bump
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've lost 76 pounds over the last 10 months and pretty much any advise on how to lose weight at this point is pretty annoying. I know exactly how to lose weight....eat less. And if I tell someone that they then proceed to say "Why don't you try the low carb diet"? No offense... but why would I want to?
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That it's a simple CICO equation, when I'm working out 5-6 days a week and afraid to eat and the scale still won't budge. Turns out I have not one, but two medical conditions that make it hard to lose weight. Praying I find that magical combination that my body will respond to.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Bshmerlie It still slips my mind how people can't understand the entire calorie balance thing
  • smantha32
    Options
    bump
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    "Girls should not be eating so often"