Replies

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    11 m. TM. 85:58 or a 7:49 overall pace.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I just about threw in the towel after the geese though. I loathe geese. I am convinced they all want to bite me (an unfounded assumption, I know). Glad I stuck it out. The last couple miles were great and it ended up being a good run overall, even if I spent at least 6 miles thinking I may pee myself at any moment

NOT UNFOUNDED!!! I have owned two geese (both ganders of different breeds), and both were total a holes. Wild geese are more leery of coming at you, but if a male perceives a threat to a female, they will attack. Also, their beaks and tongues are serrated. And they will grab onto your leg and beat you with the sharp points of the joint in their wings. Pretty terrifying. And painful. But probably won't happen to you.

Self protection: either kick it under the breast bone (like lift it with your foot and force it away from you as hard as you can, don't swing back and kick it like a football) or grab it by the neck and spin it 180 degrees to make it face away from you. Neither option will hurt the goose, and it will probably take a couple times, but it will eventually run away honking in hatred of being bested.
  • Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    So...it was spitting a little rain and about 65F and I was thinking about not running because of the rain, then I recalled the sub-zero, early morning, cleat wearing, snow slogging, bug eating, spider avoiding, mauled by holes and chased by geese runners and sucked it up and went. Really nice run too!

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Easy 6 km run with 3 members of the club. Last run as I am in Taper mode before my next HM on Sunday. Hypothermic Half in Edmonton. Going for the experience and for the " Best Post Run Buffet " of any local event.
    Over 80 posts since my last visit. -8C and 20km North Wind, Nasty running outbound as it was heading into th wind, Inbound was quite nice with the wind on your back. Not so bad no cleats, no loose snow, no Insect based Protein supplements, no holes and no Geese chasing me - all the Grumpy Canada Geese are way south where it is nice and warm. ( Sorry about that - as Canadians we are usually Friendly and Polite )

@Stoshew71 It used to be every time I heard " Jack Daniels " I wanted to check out the Liquor Cabinet. Now I search for Running Video Clips.

exercise.png

02/01 – 0.0 Km – 140 km – 150.8 Km
    02/06 – 9.0 Km – 9.0 – 131 – 159.8 Km
    02/07 – 21.1 Km – 30.1 - 109.9 – 180.9 Km
    02/08 – 6.0 Km – 36.1 - 103.9 – 186.9 Km
    02/10 – 8.0 Km – 44.1 - 95.9 – 194.9 Km
    02/13 – 9.0 Km – 53.1 – 86.9 – 203.9 Km
    02/14 – 6.0 Km – 59.1 – 80.9 – 209.9 Km
    02/17 – 6.0 Km – 65.1 – 74.9 – 215.9 Km
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options

I just about threw in the towel after the geese though. I loathe geese. I am convinced they all want to bite me (an unfounded assumption, I know). Glad I stuck it out. The last couple miles were great and it ended up being a good run overall, even if I spent at least 6 miles thinking I may pee myself at any moment

NOT UNFOUNDED!!! I have owned two geese (both ganders of different breeds), and both were total a holes. Wild geese are more leery of coming at you, but if a male perceives a threat to a female, they will attack. Also, their beaks and tongues are serrated. And they will grab onto your leg and beat you with the sharp points of the joint in their wings. Pretty terrifying. And painful. But probably won't happen to you.

Self protection: either kick it under the breast bone (like lift it with your foot and force it away from you as hard as you can, don't swing back and kick it like a football) or grab it by the neck and spin it 180 degrees to make it face away from you. Neither option will hurt the goose, and it will probably take a couple times, but it will eventually run away honking in hatred of being bested.

I agree not unfounded... while I never had a problem with Canadian geese we had wild geese of the domesticated varieties on the lakes in my home town parks. The geese would chase us and bite on the back of your legs and butt and leave bruises and cuts. They are not cute, or nice, but scary terrifying birds... that said I have never had a problem with swans but I am sure they could be just as bad.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever done a vVO2max test?
    There is a running workshop at a hospital in my area in two weeks where you can do one for free. Only catch: you can't sign up online, you have to register in place. I'd have to get up at 6am on Saturday to get there in time, and I'll have to get up early on Sunday as well (in that case, for a ~5k race). That'd be really tough, because I love sleeping in on the weekend ;-)
    Would having that number be of any use to me, or can I get the same planning benefits by planning my training following the Jack Daniels HR math?

Quoting this because I'd like to see an answer to this interesting question.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been bit and snapped at several times at that park when I was a kid. I heard of one kid who was attacked and ended up with a broken arm. It's called Silver Lake Park but we always called it Goose *kitten* Park.

yep...geese are *kitten* holes

Ducks are pretty cool though. I never had any issues with them.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February goal 80 miles

2/1 3.8
    2/2 4.17
    2/3 bad life day
    2/4 4.00
    2/5 3.82
    2/6 preparing a Superbowl Luau
    2/7 hosting a Superbowl Luau
    2/8 sick
    2/9 4.02
    2/10 10.00
    2/11 rest
    2/12 snorkel 3 hours
    2/13 3.25
    2/14 3.52
    2/15 3.34
    2/16 rest
    2/17 6.48

Total 46.40

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Nice work today!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    98.78 km down.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Most scary thing out running when it is still dark - spiderweb across the path at head height with a big, fat spider in it. Especially when you don't see the web before you have run through it. Then you're freaking out, trying to pull web off your face and work out if there is a huge spider on you somewhere. I have been known to turn around and run the other way if I see a big web across the path.

Next scariest thing - dogs. If I see a dog ahead in the distance on the street, without its owner, I turn right around and run the other way.

I have also been attacked by birds - I must have been running close to their nest, and maybe they had some little ones they were protecting; but they were these big ground dwelling birds, mainly black with a red crest and blue breast and a hooked beak, and they came after me snapping at the backs of my legs. I ran a bit faster. My husband has been attacked by a duck while out running.

And that's not to mention magpies that swoop during spring when they are nesting. Oh, and the occasional snake on the path, too.

I have to say that the kangaroos never attack. Even if they are as big as me, they just watch me go by.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - oh my gosh, that is awful. I'm surprised no one wrecked witnessing that! Ok, I hate geese now too, but luckily there aren't any around where I run.
    @7lenny7 - I started reading the Gift of Fear .... I'm not very far along in it, but I now do have fear! Going to send one to my daughter who lives in NYC. She is street savvy (more so than me) after living there almost 5 years but being a mom, I must send it to her.

Awesome 5 miles this morning. No animals or people other than a lady letting her little dog out who barked but she grabbed him immediately. Last night while checking weather I saw a headline about a runner in Cocoa Beach who was hit by a car and killed the other morning. :cry: Hit and run. He was 39 and runs at the time I normally run (4:30am). I rarely read any local news because it is so negative and scary, but the story caught my eye. So I was extremely cautious this morning - even though I have many lights on and stay in my neighborhood where I usually only see 4 cars in the hour I am out. I know who leaves for work and who is getting ready for work in the entire subdivision.

Feb 1 - 4.27
    Feb 2- repairing/recovery day.
    Feb 3 - Strength training 4.5 miles
    Feb 4 - rest
    Feb 5 - Strength training
    Feb 6 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 7 - 13.1 HM - New PR 2:18:57!!!
    Feb 8 - 3.05 mile recovery run.
    Feb 9 - 1 hour spinning class
    Feb 10 - Strength training
    Feb 11 - 6 miles
    Feb 12 - recovery day
    Feb 13 - 34 mile bike ride
    Feb 14 - 36 mile bike ride
    Feb 15 - 7.5 miles
    Feb 16 - 3.6 miles
    Feb 17 - strength training
    Feb 18 - 5.04 miles

exercise.png

3/3 Orlando City Soccer 5K
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    There is a running workshop at a hospital in my area in two weeks where you can do one for free. Only catch: you can't sign up online, you have to register in place. I'd have to get up at 6am on Saturday to get there in time, and I'll have to get up early on Sunday as well (in that case, for a ~5k race). That'd be really tough, because I love sleeping in on the weekend ;-)
    Would having that number be of any use to me, or can I get the same planning benefits by planning my training following the Jack Daniels HR math?

I am only answering based on my own experiences, gathering data and building my own training plans from there.

I have not done this myself simply because I see no benefit other than knowing exactly what the number is. Additionally, your VO2Max can change as your fitness level changes, so that number is temporary.

Training at (or near) VO2Max is the best way to improve form and build muscles for running strength. Now, what I find interesting about training at or near VO2Max is that you are essentially doing your maximum effort. So, I'm not sure what benefit knowing what one's VO2Max is if all they have to do is go at maximum effort to get those training benefits.

I am sure there are excellent reasons to know it however, otherwise people would not do these tests.

ETA - I do not have any training runs where I run at maximum effort. I do have some speedwork intervals where I am running at a high effort, above my lactate threshold, closes to my VO2Max than any other workout. But these distances vary from 400m to 1600m and I run at a different effort for each one. The highest effort being 400m which is possibly near VO2Max. But at the same time I am still overweight and building strength, so I am not sure I am pushing myself at true maximum effort. I am trying not to injure myself too. But I am also pushing myself. I am sure I could put in some extra effort, but only with added injury risk.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)
    2/11: 6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/12: Rest day!
    2/13: 14 miles with Saturday crew
    2/14: 7 miles
    2/15: Rest/lazy day
    2/16: 5 miles
    2/17: 5 miles (am), 12 miles (pm)
    2/18: 8 miles (am)

Cold, cold, cold! Probably would have been warmer if I hadn't been so sluggish OR if I hadn't had to stop at every. single. stoplight. Just one of those days. I can really feel the 17 miles from yesterday. Though I still have my evening group run tonight, I already dreaming about tomorrow's rest day. I may have to take another look at next week's mileage and lower it a bit. I'm on my 3rd consecutive 60 mile week, and I can tell it's wearing me out. Maybe just one 2-a-day next week will be a nice break.

exercise.png

Also it seems I've struck a chord with my goose reference! I am so glad everyone else seems to hate them as much as I do!

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, had another good run this morning.
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I'd just want to know. My Garmin gives me a VO2 max, I'm sure it's inaccurate, and only an approximation, but I'd just like the number at least for a base line. AND if it's free, it's for me.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rohanivan wrote: »
    This is first 5K I will be running, is there some days I should rest before the run?

Personally, I don't ever run for at least one day before a race and at least one day after. Typically, I like to take two days off from running before a race, and I try to concentrate on healthy eating, staying well-hydrated, and getting a little more sleep than usual for that time, but we all know that life doesn't always allow for all of that to happen, especially for us amateurs. I'm not quite as particular when it comes to 5Ks, anymore, but I still try to adhere to all my little pre and post running rules for every race.

Elise4270 wrote: »
    @instantmartian wow! I do not want to go to the gym!

I had to change bras as I got to the park the other day to run. So I stepped into the porta potty to change. Between the urinal and the hole, was a to-go plate from Denny's untouched, eggs, toast, hash browns, chicken fried steak and gravy.... It's at the skate park portion of the park, so I though some teens were behind it. @ceciliaslater you'll be running right past it mile ~24..8 on the A2A...

Yesterday in a field (same park) I saw a guy sunning in his black boxers. It was too cool to be sunning, and he wasnt in the public area of the park, like the equipment area... I thought maybe he was dead, but he had a pack under his head. I thought "more men should be out here sunning more often".

On most days, I don't want to go to my gym, either! haha On a similar note, I'm not sure I want to be going to your park! Maybe the Denny's plate in the porta potty and the dude sunning himself were some sorts of crazy "art" installations? :confused:

@stoshew71 LOL on the expletives! I tend to use them a lot when I run.
    @instantmartian and @5BeautifulDays I too have big respect for gym folks, especially treadmill folks. My favorite lady at the gym is older and has had work done obviously since her boobs can be used as a shelf. Anyway one day I was in the locker room and she was pulling her girls up and her top down so they would show more. I almost laughed myself silly every time she walked past my treadmill. We have talked a few times, very nice lady, but I still laugh.

I, too, tend to use a lot of expletives when I run. As for your gym experience, I would, silently, refer to her as Shelf-boob Lady, and my brain would call her that every time I see her again from then until eternity. I have Cake Lady, Taco Man, Yo-yo Man, and RBF Starer at my gym. There are probably others, but I can't think of them right now.

@kristinegift: I was attached by a hoard of geese when I was on my bike along a canal when I was about 14 or 15. They had me surrounded. I couldn't move the bike forward or backwards, and they kept nipping at my bike, my feet, and my legs. I couldn't pull my feet up being on a bike and everything, and I couldn't jump off and run for fear they would run after me, and I wasn't entirely sure if I was capable of outrunning geese. After what felt like an eternity, I was able to break free with my bike and quickly continue on my way. Thankfully, they didn't follow me. It was terrifying. I completely get it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    2/1-3 slow miles + lots of yoga
    2/2-5.4 miles+ strength training
    2/3-7 miles
    2/4-rest day
    2/5-3.6 miles hill sprints +strength training
    2/6-6.3 miles
    2/7-12.2 miles
    2/8- 3.3 easy miles + yoga
    2/9-4 miles speedwork on treadmill+yoga
    2/10-7 miles
    2/11-3.5(?) miles +yoga
    2/12-strength training
    2/13-12 miles
    2/14-rest day
    2/15-3.4 miles treadmill intervals
    2/16-4.4 miles +yoga
    2/17-7.5 mile Tempo run +strength training

exercise.png

I finally knocked myself out of slacker mode a bit and did a legit tempo run of 7.5 miles yesterday, complete with a large hill for the finish. The downhill was during my warm-up, wouldn't you know it?? Anyway, I resisted the urge to put off my weight lifting until today so that I could have a nice recovery day to look forward to. Boy am I glad I did. A bit sore today, but looking forward to a nice, easy run in 40 degree temps. Can't wait!
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270, @instantmartian.... Thanks a lot for you advice.Let me try by taking couple of day offs before run day.I don't want to quit running after this 5K, I just want it to grow.

Date.................KM...................Total
    2/7....................1.19.................1.19 (Run)
    2/10..................1.85.................3.04 (Walk)
    2/11..................1.88.................4.92 (Walk)
    2/12..................8.8.................13.72 (Bird Count Exercise)
    2/13..................4.2.................17.92 (Walk)
    2/15..................5.27................23.19 (Run)
    2/17..................5.32................28.51 (Walk)
    2/18..................2.28................30.79 (Walk)

First 5 K.................. 25th Feb

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

To me, VO2Max is not as important as Lactate Threshold. However, there are some workouts that ask you to run at a certain percentage of your VO2Max (or % of HRmax). It may be interesting to get tested (especially if it is free) but not critical in my opinion.